PDA

View Full Version : Deer Rifle/Scope Suggestions

sandwolf
04-03-2014, 12:20 PM
I am tossing around the idea of getting a new deer rifle and wanted to get some feedback. I have a Marlin 30-30 and a .270. I am of the opinion that the 30-30 is the best there is, inside of 100 yards, and the .270 that I have is a fantastic gun but it is a custom made gun that is heavy and really just too nice to do the kind of hunting that I do.....so I am wanting to get something to use in place of the .270. I have always wanted a .308 so that is what I am thinking I will probably get, and the absolute max that I want to spend would be around $1,300-$1,500 (for the gun and scope). What are yall's recommendations for the gun and scope?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
04-03-2014, 12:59 PM
Can't go wrong with a Leupold Vari-X III...American made and has a lifetime warranty. I've got several models and have never had an issue with any of them. I'd suggest going to a sporting goods store and looking through various lenses before you make a decision. http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/vx-3-riflescopes/vx-3-3-5-10x50mm/
I can't really help with the gun though, as I spend my money on optics and and finding the right ammo. To me, these two things are more important than the gun.

FISHDAWG
04-03-2014, 01:15 PM
.308 is great for deer .... Leupold is the only scope I will buy anymore .... the Rifleman is their cheapest scope for around 200 bucks ... vari-x 3 is the norm for me ..... Rueger in composite stock & stainless .... combination of vari-x 3 & said rifle shouldn't be any more than 800-850 bucks .... you can get two for that budget , whatever you decide just remember - never scrimp on the optics .... rule of thumb is to spend as much money on the scope as you do the rifle

sandwolf
04-03-2014, 03:20 PM
combination of vari-x 3 & said rifle shouldn't be any more than 800-850 bucks ....

Where are you getting your prices for the VX-3? The prices that I see on their website show them as being about $700.

FISHDAWG
04-03-2014, 03:31 PM
I think there are a few options on the Vari-X3 ... size of the bell, and there used to be a difference in the minute adjustments, and it seems like there were different coatings (fully coated vs. multi coated) ...... or it could just be that the last one I purchased was about 20 years ago ... I have bought so many firearms that I no longer have an excuse to buy another, so it's been awhile

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
04-04-2014, 09:37 AM
Where are you getting your prices for the VX-3? The prices that I see on their website show them as being about $700.
I believe that's MSRP and like FISH, there are multiple options. I've got two 3.5x10x50's and absolutely love them. I'd suggest signing up for email updates from optics planet or any other optics site so that you can be aware of the sales. Also, anytime I purchase from an online store, I search for coupons for free shipping or discounts. There are more out there than one would think.

TUSK
04-07-2014, 06:11 PM
I concern myself mostly with the TRAJ of non magnum/non wildcat "whitetail" rounds...

I have a Leupold 4.5 x 14 x 50 AO with target turrets mounted on my A-bolt 270... MPBR is past 300 yards... it's a killer....

don't sleep on 243... it's an MFer inside 350...

I admit I'm a 270 bigot though... for whitetail, at range, I've not found anything that can top it with factory ammo....

DownwardDawg
04-07-2014, 06:57 PM
I concern myself mostly with the TRAJ of non magnum/non wildcat "whitetail" rounds...

I have a Leupold 4.5 x 14 x 50 AO with target turrets mounted on my A-bolt 270... MPBR is past 300 yards... it's a killer....

don't sleep on 243... it's an MFer inside 350...
I admit I'm a 270 bigot though... for whitetail, at range, I've not found anything that can top it with factory ammo....

I've killed more deer than I can count with a Remington Model 700 Bolt .243. Now my 14 year old son has been dropping them since he was 6 with that same gun. A well placed shot behind the shoulder and they run a little but they leave a blood trail a blind man could follow.

I shoot a Weatherby .257 Weatherby Mag now. Big difference.

fishwater99
04-08-2014, 09:32 AM
I would suggest a .308. Great caliber with plenty of range and power.
You can't go wrong with a Leupold scope, but they also make Redfield scopes now.
Leupold bought Redfield in 2009.
I also have a BDC Nikon that I really like.

TUSK
04-08-2014, 07:12 PM
I agree on the 308, if you don't plan on shooting at long ranges (>~250) without BDCs, MILs, holdover, etc.... it drops pretty quickly...

I like the necked down version in 7mm 08 a bit better....

WeWillScrewItUp
04-08-2014, 07:22 PM
I shot a .243 from the time I was 6 till I was 25. This past year I upgraded and went with the 7 Mag mainly because of the deal I got on it. I'm a huge fan of a .280 and .308 which are the two calibers I was trying to decided between but I couldn't be happier with my 7 Mag. Best advise I can give you is to research different calibers and the ballistics for each one to see what would best be suited for your needs.