PDA

View Full Version : Reed Evans: We might need to give this kid a better look.....

mic
05-08-2013, 10:04 PM
I was at Ridgeland High School today talking with Coach Ray and Coach Wilkerson. I asked them if they had anyone that State or OM was looking at for next year or any underclassmen. The name that both of them said was Reed Evans. Both said he was D1 material. They said OM was all over the kid and would sign him tomorrow but are basically out of scholarships right now. After the draft in June they said that could change. Rebs have been to see him play and are in contact with him. Both the coaches at Ridgeland played college ball and pretty much know D1 talent.

It Would suck to lose this kid to the Rebs if he is this good and have him shove it up our ASS over the next few years. This info below came from the Ridgeland coaching staff. I personally haven?t seen this kid play but for those of us that played college baseball on here, kid sounds pretty legit to me.

" big durable 6'4 255 pounder has pitched 66.1 innings with 67 k's and only 12 walks. He has a 12-2 record with all 12 wins complete games. His 2 losses was a complete game with NWR and the other was a 4 pitch (not innings, 4 pitches) relief stint were he picked up the hard luck loss. He has a great move to 1st with a 1.1 whip to the plate which makes him difficult to run on. RHS does play in a weak district and Evans did not throw in any of the district games. He threw against the likes of Northwest Rankin, Clinton, Oak Grove, Madison Central, Newton Co., Brookhaven, etc. He beat then no. 1 Oak Grove, no. 1 Madison Central and lost 4-0 to Northwest Rankin going the distance in that game as well and threw a 1 hitter against Clinton and was one hitter away from a perfect game. During a run in which he pitched complete games against Oak Grove (10 run rule after 5 innings), NWR, Clinton and Madison Central he recorded 24 innings pitched with 24 k's, 1 walk and an ERA of 1.4. Losing only to NWR. This is some of the elite programs in the state. He commands 4 different pitches; 2 FB's, slider, breaking ball and a great change. He can even shuffle in some different arm slots. Reed is a transfer from Hillcrest and has blossomed over the summer and the 2013 high school season, so he has been under the radar or lost in the shuffle from the move to Ridgeland. His velocity is 85-89 and with his big frame his upside is nearly unlimited. RHS is still rolling in the playoffs as are several of the 6A opponents that Evans stymied during the regular season. Many JUCO offers and that will certainly be a good route for him if he chooses, but this guy is truly a D1 player and I am not the only qualified professional that says the same thing."

And those of you from the Jackson area who played semi pro ball probably know the name Richie Hines. Richie is part of that professional group from above. According to Coach Ray, Richie said he cant believe more schools aren?t all over this kid. Richie, through a 3rd party, contacted our staff about him and Coach Ray has even spoken with Coach Cohen about him.

Those on here who have the ability and contacts might need to pass this along to our coaching staff

CadaverDawg
05-08-2013, 10:31 PM
Email and tweet Mingione and Cohen about him. Tell them about Ole Miss being hard after him too.

mic
05-08-2013, 10:33 PM
Email and tweet Mingione and Cohen about him. Tell them about Ole Miss being hard after him too.

I agree... you tweeter guys get on it..

Will James
05-08-2013, 10:39 PM
We need to be on Sam f'n Wilson. Best JUCO player in the country and he's headed to the Houston Cougars? Get On Him Mingione! Starting RF and power pitching arm, SOUTHPAW.

Will James
05-08-2013, 11:11 PM
I agree about Evans too. We need an Elitedawgs push for him and Wilson on the interwebs. Everyone let Mingione know about these two prospects.

I want this Wilson kid bad! He's going to be a top 5 round draft pick after next season if not higher. Dual hitter and pitcher is what we need. Top ten in all of D1 JUCO in OBP and SLG. He is Renfroes replacement, just need him some attn from the coaches.

Todd4State
05-08-2013, 11:11 PM
He's a senior- I don't know if we have any scholarships for pitchers either- we may if we lose Dakota Hudson though.

Based on what you provided, they may want to see if he can get his velocity up a little bit- like 2-3 MPH, which is very doable. Will Cox didn't get an offer until September for that reason. If he throws from different arm angles, that can help his cause because it adds deception. He needs to get his strikeout totals up as well. Elite pitchers are going to have around 100 K's as well as seniors in high school.

K's to IP is a stat I look at with high school pitchers, because you want guys that make people swing and miss in high school, because if Madison Central's guys are making contact, you know LSU is going to make contact.

Also, another thing that worries me about him- teams hit .243 against him and his ERA was 2.32. Those are red flags for high school prospects to me as well. I'd like to see his ERA below 2.00.

That said, there are some things to work with- him being 6'4" 260 and his control is obviously very good, and it sounds like he is a competitor. But all things considered- he sounds like his ceiling is as as a relief pitcher to me. I would think he would probably benefit from going to JUCO to see if he can get his velocity up, and I would certainly welcome him as a walk-on.

Todd4State
05-08-2013, 11:18 PM
I agree about Evans too. We need an Elitedawgs push for him and Wilson on the interwebs. Everyone let Mingione know about these two prospects.

I want this Wilson kid bad! He's going to be a top 5 round draft pick after next season if not higher. Dual hitter and pitcher is what we need. Top ten in all of D1 JUCO in OBP and SLG. He is Renfroes replacement, just need him some attn from the coaches.

He also needs to work on keeping his hands back when he hits and when he pitches, he drops his glove down while his arm is still back, which if it's not corrected could lead to an injury. I can understand why he doesn't have a whole lot of offers- he needs a little bit of work. But he does have some natural talent.

If you're expecting him to come in and put up Hunter Renfroe type numbers- you're probably going to be disappointed. His issues are correctable.

Shit on everyone's baseball prospects- check.

Will James
05-08-2013, 11:37 PM
He also needs to work on keeping his hands back when he hits and when he pitches, he drops his glove down while his arm is still back, which if it's not corrected could lead to an injury. I can understand why he doesn't have a whole lot of offers- he needs a little bit of work. But he does have some natural talent.

If you're expecting him to come in and put up Hunter Renfroe type numbers- you're probably going to be disappointed. His issues are correctable.

Shit on everyone's baseball prospects- check.

Nobody will put up Renfroe numbers, but he will be a better OF replacement than any of our guys. He is projected to be a pitcher at the next level and actually signed with New Mexico out of HS. There, his boys defended him in an argument with some Sigma Chis and so after an ass whooping he left for northern pastures in Colorado.

His fastball now hits mid 90s and again he is a LHP. 98 K's 1.27 ERA.. In 77 IP at top level JUCO. He would be on our short list of weekend starters. And just imagine his production once Butch works his magic. Stratton was undrafted out of HS, this guy was a 20th round pick still raw.

Todd use your connections to get this guy a look because he is the real ****ing deal. We all need to help shine light on the Colorado phenom.

mic
05-09-2013, 12:24 AM
He's a senior- I don't know if we have any scholarships for pitchers either- we may if we lose Dakota Hudson though.

Based on what you provided, they may want to see if he can get his velocity up a little bit- like 2-3 MPH, which is very doable. Will Cox didn't get an offer until September for that reason. If he throws from different arm angles, that can help his cause because it adds deception. He needs to get his strikeout totals up as well. Elite pitchers are going to have around 100 K's as well as seniors in high school.

K's to IP is a stat I look at with high school pitchers, because you want guys that make people swing and miss in high school, because if Madison Central's guys are making contact, you know LSU is going to make contact.

Also, another thing that worries me about him- teams hit .243 against him and his ERA was 2.32. Those are red flags for high school prospects to me as well. I'd like to see his ERA below 2.00.

That said, there are some things to work with- him being 6'4" 260 and his control is obviously very good, and it sounds like he is a competitor. But all things considered- he sounds like his ceiling is as as a relief pitcher to me. I would think he would probably benefit from going to JUCO to see if he can get his velocity up, and I would certainly welcome him as a walk-on.

Like I said I havent seen him pitch . But 24 innings against 4 of the top programs in the state with 24 K's and ONE walk tells me he pounds the strike zone and ERA under 1.5 in those games and if the Rebs are on him that hard they must see something as well..

Will James
05-09-2013, 12:30 AM
Like I said I havent seen him pitch . But 24 innings against 4 of the top programs in the state with 24 K's and ONE walk tells me he pounds the strike zone and ERA under 1.5 in those games and if the Rebs are on him that hard they must see something as well..

I like not giving up walks. Two questions, how many home runs has he given up? And what are his stats from last season as well?

mic
05-09-2013, 12:33 AM
I like not giving up walks. Two questions, how many home runs has he given up? And what are his stats from last season as well?

No idea.. Coach said he transfered from Hillcrest no clue when..

mic
05-09-2013, 12:34 AM
No idea.. Coach said he transfered from Hillcrest no clue when..

oh and must be rather athletic plays 3rd base when not pitching..

Will James
05-09-2013, 12:39 AM
oh and must be rather athletic plays 3rd base when not pitching..

If he keeps the ball in the yard and had good K/BB ratio last year as well I see no problem going after him.

mic
05-09-2013, 12:48 AM
If he keeps the ball in the yard and had good K/BB ratio last year as well I see no problem going after him.

yeah I have no clue about last year just what I heard the coaches say today.. they are both very high on the kid.. the strikeout to walk ratio is what I liked. and his size..
Pound the strike zone get outs and be a gammer.. seems to be what he is and does
See Ross Mitchell and Pollo..

Will James
05-09-2013, 01:02 AM
See Ross Mitchell and Pollo..

Ehhhhhhhhhhh Pollo leads us in BB and its not close. Your description fits Lindgren though! Our best SP.

mic
05-09-2013, 01:05 AM
Ehhhhhhhhhhh Pollo leads us in BB and its not close. Your description fits Lindgren though! Our best SP.

Ross - pound strike zone
Pollo- gammer

Will James
05-09-2013, 01:18 AM
Ross - pound strike zone
Pollo- gammer

Agree to disagree. I like my pitchers in the Lindgren/Holder mold

mic
05-09-2013, 01:20 AM
Agree to disagree. I like my pitchers in the Lindgren/Holder mold

I agree .. I was just saying that he sounds like a gammer which is Pollo.. and he pounds the zone like Ross..

Will James
05-09-2013, 01:25 AM
I agree .. I was just saying that he sounds like a gammer which is Pollo.. and he pounds the zone like Ross..

If he pitches like Ross he won't pitch much. Ross has gotten incredibly lucky this year, especially SEC play. I prefer
Girodo for my southpaw. Pollo gets his K's which is good. No me gusta el walko's though.

Will James
05-09-2013, 07:01 AM
So Coach Wells handles JUCO so let's let him know about Sam.

rtdawg
05-09-2013, 10:53 AM
Waaaaay too much time on your hands Mic.....

mic
05-09-2013, 08:16 PM
Waaaaay too much time on your hands Mic.....

Nice first post Rus.. and get that Vcash money up..

Buddy
05-10-2013, 08:01 AM
Heard about Reed Evans a couple of weeks back from a guy I work with who is a high-school umpire. He was behind home plate during the Clinton vs. Ridgeland game and Reed pitched. He came in the next day asking about him since he knew I lived in Ridgeland and have a kid at the high school. Anyway, he said the kid has "nasty stuff"... said his slider was unhittable and really unfair. Said he pitched a complete game and simply dominated Clinton (a 6A school who won their district) and that they could do absolutely nothing with him.

I was surprised to find out that he hadn't signed with anyone. Also was surprised that he didn't make the MS High School All-Star game roster. He is definitely a kid that is flying under the radar for some reason. Ridgeland is still in the 5A playoffs and has a good chance of making it to the finals at Trustmark Park... if they do, this kid will get a serious look from someone.

mic
05-10-2013, 09:45 AM
Heard about Reed Evans a couple of weeks back from a guy I work with who is a high-school umpire. He was behind home plate during the Clinton vs. Ridgeland game and Reed pitched. He came in the next day asking about him since he knew I lived in Ridgeland and have a kid at the high school. Anyway, he said the kid has "nasty stuff"... said his slider was unhittable and really unfair. Said he pitched a complete game and simply dominated Clinton (a 6A school who won their district) and that they could do absolutely nothing with him.

I was surprised to find out that he hadn't signed with anyone. Also was surprised that he didn't make the MS High School All-Star game roster. He is definitely a kid that is flying under the radar for some reason. Ridgeland is still in the 5A playoffs and has a good chance of making it to the finals at Trustmark Park... if they do, this kid will get a serious look from someone.

Thanks for the feedback buddy... The Coaches there at Ridgeland are def high on this kid..

CadaverDawg
05-13-2013, 09:49 AM
Bump

Homedawg
05-13-2013, 10:23 AM
If he pitches like Ross he won't pitch much. Ross has gotten incredibly lucky this year, especially SEC play. I prefer
Girodo for my southpaw. Pollo gets his K's which is good. No me gusta el walko's though.
So he's been lucky for 1.5 years? U can beat a pro in a hand of poker. I can even beat him in a given night. But over the course of time- he's going to wipe the floor w me. Mitchell has been consistent and opposing teams typically get soft contact. You can't be lucky for a year and a half without being pretty good. I get it, he doesn't throw hard and doesn't have an above avg off speed pitch. What he does is get outs. Yes we have to make plays in the inf, but it's usually on routine balls.

Will James
05-13-2013, 11:50 AM
I think he's a lot better coming in as a complete change of pace from a hard throwing SP.

Homedawg
05-13-2013, 11:53 AM
I think he's a lot better coming in as a complete change of pace from a hard throwing SP.

I agree w this. And I think, as a rule, he's good for one time around the order. But i still disagree w the luck part. Luck doesn't last this long.

Will James
05-13-2013, 11:56 AM
I agree w this. And I think, as a rule, he's good for one time around the order. But i still disagree w the luck part. Luck doesn't last this long.

You're right. These last few outings have proven that.

Coach34
05-13-2013, 01:00 PM
I heard Evans looked very juco-like against New Hope the other day, topping out at 85

Homedawg
05-13-2013, 01:41 PM
I heard Evans looked very juco-like against New Hope the other day, topping out at 85

I haven't seen the guy. However, I'm w Todd if you don't strikeout more than one per inning especially in this state, that's a telling sign of the future.

Buddy
05-16-2013, 10:25 AM
Reed Evans just committed to OM and has been added to the MS HS All-Star game roster. I hope we don't regret passing on this kid.

mic
05-16-2013, 01:19 PM
Reed Evans just committed to OM and has been added to the MS HS All-Star game roster. I hope we don't regret passing on this kid.

I agree....