PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else catch Bounds' topic for discussion this morning?

State82
04-02-2014, 01:16 PM
Involving the need to completely "re-boot, re-build & re-brand" the LFL. I didn't hear any caller responses to it so I don't know exactly how it was received. I did catch a few tweets he got that were generally in agreement. His opinion is that it needs a complete re-do with the ante being upped of course. No doubt some modifications need to be implemented, at a minimum, but an entire overhaul could get costly. If it becomes enough of an expense to cut into what will be done with the overall stadium project, I would rather focus on having the best main grandstand area possible with some more pressing alterations in the outfield made and then phase in the rest of an overall outfield master plan later. I could see a large sum invested out there that, in conjunction with a new stadium structure, would make the entire venue untouchable by anyone else for a while. Now, I don't think it needs to be "re-branded" as Bo put it, but certainly "re-booted".

PassInterference
04-02-2014, 01:17 PM
I needs to be re-booted when we build a new stadium. It needs some creativity and permanent structures.

ScoobaDawg
04-02-2014, 01:35 PM
I needs to be re-booted when we build a new stadium. It needs some creativity and permanent structures.

I strongly disagree.

It does need some updating from a safety standpoint but not from creativity and I don't think they should be permanent as that means they are owned by the university instead.

Yes the prices needed to be raised and that will cause a lot of backlash but leave it how it is generally.

whosyourdawgy
04-02-2014, 01:37 PM

Along with a bunch of other folks.

Seriously though, the Left Field Lounge is our thing. It may can be tweeked and get a little more organized and some better built contraptions but a complete overhaul would ruin what the LFL is.

HancockCountyDog
04-02-2014, 01:40 PM
I strongly disagree.

It does need some updating from a safety standpoint but not from creativity and I don't think they should be permanent as that means they are owned by the university instead.

Yes the prices needed to be raised and that will cause a lot of backlash but leave it how it is generally.

I was there recently, and I have to admit that some of the structures look like they need to tear down. There was one where I watched a fairly large woman walk up and I really thought the structure was going to go. There is so much of the LFL that I want to keep, but I really think making some of these structures safer wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

ScoobaDawg
04-02-2014, 01:51 PM
I was there recently, and I have to admit that some of the structures look like they need to tear down. There was one where I watched a fairly large woman walk up and I really thought the structure was going to go. There is so much of the LFL that I want to keep, but I really think making some of these structures safer wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

I strongly agree with that. There does need to be some sort of certification of safety and standards but doesn't put the school liable (if that's possible)
Things can still look like sanford and son built them but be "safe".

Coach34
04-02-2014, 02:00 PM
Change is coming to LFL...

PassInterference
04-02-2014, 02:01 PM
No entity in the USA should allow their customers to build their own structures. That is an open & shut lawsuit waiting to happen. That is an unfortunate fact. And another reason to hate Ole Miss (we drive tractors, they sue people).

The LFL needs to be and is going to be replaced with something permanent. I use the word "creativity" to imply MSU needs to allow the LFL to continue being the unique thing that it is today.

Homemade lumber structures is not what makes the LFL. It can be done with permanent structures. Something that still allows grilling, drinking, walking around, etc. And it can still be made unique and character-rich.

I predict MSU builds open air spaces with sections of chairbacks or bleachers (or both) in different configurations going around the outfield. It definitely won't be cookie-cutter from space to space around the outfield fence.

dickiedawg
04-02-2014, 02:07 PM
Along with a bunch of other folks.

Seriously though, the Left Field Lounge is our thing. It may can be tweeked and get a little more organized and some better built contraptions but a complete overhaul would ruin what the LFL is.

What I envision is more of a tweaking but would entail a pretty good overhaul. The last two years there has been a TON of bickering about spots getting moved, rigs designed to go in a particular "spot" being moved where noone can see. I believe it would make sense to have the whole outfield level tiered, with spots laid out and organized. You would still bring YOUR trailer in there customized to your preferences, but it would have to meet certain criteria. You could sell more spaces if they were laid out properly, and potentially add a third row if the tier is built so the structure doesn't have to be 40 feet high.

Also, the rates could stand to be raised, but not to skybox prices by any means.

Mjoelner34
04-02-2014, 02:32 PM
I don't know what their inspection criteria was but they inspected rigs this spring and if yours didn't meet their standard, it got red-tagged and no one was allowed on it until it passed inspection. Also, if anyone has been out there since the Vandy series, you'll see that everyone had to put up the orange construction netting provided by MSU like under pinning on your rig. If you didn't do that, you also got red-tagged.

Instead of raising prices for spots out there, I would require that in order to keep you spot, each rig should be responsible for purchasing at least 4 (maybe 6) season tickets and, since we now scan tickets and can track their use, I would also require a certain percentage of usage on those tickets. If you don't purchase the minimum number of season tickets or if your attendance falls off, you lose your spot. To me, this would not only bring in more money in season ticket sales but would also guarantee that you wouldn't see any empty rigs out there. There are some out there now that rarely have people on them except for SBW and regional play. That would change if there was a threat that someone was going to take their place next year. It would also open up the possibility that someone that does not currently have a spot out there could get one which at the moment is impossible and I think that is what is really the driving force behind all of the 'change' we're hearing about.

Johnson85
04-02-2014, 02:39 PM
No entity in the USA should allow their customers to build their own structures. That is an open & shut lawsuit waiting to happen. That is an unfortunate fact. And another reason to hate Ole Miss (we drive tractors, they sue people).

First of all, it's not open and shut. These are portable structures that are removed after each baseball season. The university doesn't take responsibility for RV's or tailgates on campus, so it's not open and shut that they have a duty to sign off on the LFL trailers that are only accessible to owners and invited guests. If somebody not on the trailers was somehow hurt by one falling, that'd probably be pretty close to open and shut.

Regardless, it's pretty easy to protect against. Require that the owners of each LFL trailer provide a few million in liability coverage with the university named as additional insured. Maybe also require that an architect or civil engineer sign off on the design and integrity of the structure.

This would add some expense to the LFL owners and you might see the architect/engineer/insurer impose requirements that do away with a lot of the uniqueness of the trailers, but it would basically completely shield the university.

Johnson85
04-02-2014, 02:43 PM
I would also require a certain percentage of usage on those tickets.

This is the big deal to me. I don't want to maximize the direct monetary value of the LFL to MSU. I think we get more value from it by it being recognized as unique and creating a great atmosphere. But it only creates a great atmosphere if people are in the LFL.

If we sold spots based on donations, we'd end up with a LFL that was full of nicer trailers that probably weren't used as often. I'd much rather price the spots moderately (say $1000 per season) but require that they be used for most games. If you can't go, make sure somebody local that likes to go has access to the trailer and uses it.

preachermatt83
04-02-2014, 06:16 PM
the LFL is a HUGE part of what makes DNF so special and "the greatest college baseball atmosphere in America". I am all for the grandstand being completely redone or anything else they want to do with the stadium but the Lounge needs to be left alone. The ONLY thing I would even halfway support doing in the Lounge is some safety upgrades. I also don't want to price out some of the awesome fans who make up the Lounge. A slight increase is fine but nothing drastic. I love DNF and hope it always keeps its greatness no matter what is done but I love that we are "Known" for our great atmosphere and I fear that a complete overhaul is going to hinder that atmosphere. Upgrade the grandstand, even redesign it, but keep the lounge as close as possible to what it is now. just my two cents which aint even worth that.

Steakonastick
04-02-2014, 06:42 PM
Is it still $250 for a spot?

dawgoneyall
04-02-2014, 06:45 PM
You are wrong.

But, whatever.

Coach34
04-02-2014, 07:08 PM
It's 2014.

We need to build some permanent structures in LF for groups to rent each season for about 1,500-2K per season. Old Timers get first crack. People can still bring grills and whatnot. RF needs to be a student section. That part is not hard.

What is hard is to figure out how to do it properly.

Homedawg
04-02-2014, 07:33 PM
I strongly agree with that. There does need to be some sort of certification of safety and standards but doesn't put the school liable (if that's possible)
Things can still look like sanford and son built them but be "safe".

This is impossible. U can't sign off on it and not be liable.

Homedawg
04-02-2014, 07:34 PM
Is it still $250 for a spot?

$175 I'm pretty sure.

Homedawg
04-02-2014, 07:37 PM
What I envision is more of a tweaking but would entail a pretty good overhaul. The last two years there has been a TON of bickering about spots getting moved, rigs designed to go in a particular "spot" being moved where noone can see. I believe it would make sense to have the whole outfield level tiered, with spots laid out and organized. You would still bring YOUR trailer in there customized to your preferences, but it would have to meet certain criteria. You could sell more spaces if they were laid out properly, and potentially add a third row if the tier is built so the structure doesn't have to be 40 feet high.

Also, the rates could stand to be raised, but not to skybox prices by any means.
I have seats in the grandstand and share a spot in the outfield and the outfield price is a joke. Best money I spend on any sport and it's not close. I don't want to pay more but it has to go up and up a lot!

Political Hack
04-02-2014, 07:37 PM
they need to just build them in and out permanent walkways around them.

engie
04-02-2014, 07:38 PM
A great architect would be able to figure out how to do it all in a way that makes basically everyone happy...You can add a student section while retaining the lounges just by limiting height on 2-3 lounges in right.

2 tiers of lounges -- a 360* concourse that runs between the two -- mandated height so people can reasonably see the game from the concourse all the way around. Only 1 tier in right -- with a multi-berm student section beyond it.

It's going to take alot more than $30mil to do it right...

Schultzy
04-02-2014, 07:39 PM
Are you going to put a percentage use of tickets on grandstand season ticket holders as well? Loungers have proven they will show consistently.

There's a recruiting factor in all of this too. Be careful what you ask for. LFL is unique. Once you lose it good luck getting it back.

messageboardsuperhero
04-02-2014, 07:48 PM
they need to just build them in and out permanent walkways around them.

I wouldn't mind having the school take all the lounges and build them into a new, tiered concrete structure. That way you keep the individuality/uniqueness/tradition of the lounge, but also make them safe- and of course build the open concourse behind the lounges and make it go all the way around the stadium.

Political Hack
04-02-2014, 07:55 PM
I wouldn't mind having the school take all the lounges and build them into a new, tiered concrete structure. That way you keep the individuality/uniqueness/tradition of the lounge, but also make them safe- and of course build the open concourse behind the lounges and make it go all the way around the stadium.

yep. they'd have to take ownership and allow the original owners to grandfather in cheaply with lifetime rights IMO. That's what will make it great though.

messageboardsuperhero
04-02-2014, 07:56 PM
A great architect would be able to figure out how to do it all in a way that makes basically everyone happy...You can add a student section while retaining the lounges just by limiting height on 2-3 lounges in right.

2 tiers of lounges -- a 360* concourse that runs between the two -- mandated height so people can reasonably see the game from the concourse all the way around. Only 1 tier in right -- with a multi-berm student section beyond it.

These are my thoughts as well.

I just hope Stricklin is ready to pony up for this, because with the way attendance and fan support is exploding right now, expectations are sky high for this project. Anything less than the best stadium in college baseball will be a disappointment considering the way he was talking this thing up last year- and there is no cheap fix for what we need to get us there, IMO.

LilSebastian
04-02-2014, 08:17 PM
This is impossible. U can't sign off on it and not be liable.

Get a building inspector to do it for the University, not the athletic department. the university should be able to apply some industry standards and not accept liability. Also, a grill and alcohol is a much bigger problem from a risk management perspective. buildings fall, fires spread.

Brad Stevens
04-02-2014, 09:14 PM
I heard this on the radio this morning, but like most mornings, it took Bo 10 minutes before he even got to his point, and I changed it. I may be in the minority, but I'm not a fan of his show at all. I only listen on occasions when Mississippi Sports This Morning is on commercial break. Their show is more lighthearted and fun to me, where Bo makes every issue seem life-or-death by his intensely serious tone.

As far as the actual issue, I am torn. Like most people, I want to keep the atmosphere and gain the safety. Thankfully I'm not the one that has to make that decision.

Homedawg
04-02-2014, 09:14 PM
Get a building inspector to do it for the University, not the athletic department. the university should be able to apply some industry standards and not accept liability. Also, a grill and alcohol is a much bigger problem from a risk management perspective. buildings fall, fires spread.

I'm not a lawyer. And I don't claim to be. Maybe you are, however, I have spoken to a lawyer "fairly" close to the situation and he/she disagrees w your statement.

Todd4State
04-02-2014, 09:22 PM
I think Dudy-Noble Field will be Scott's defining moment as AD- good or bad. And it could define whether he stays or goes.

I can't see the LFL going anywhere. At the meetings, pretty much everyone was in agreement that it should remain in some form or fashion. That included University officials.

I don't know about rebooting, rebranding, or whatever- I think that's a lot of radio jockey trying to get people to talk stuff. But I do think the LFL will have to change to be safer- but I think it can be done in a way that makes everyone happy while retaining the uniqueness of the LFL. I don't think that change necessarily involves "rebooting" it. I think that's sensationalism.

The LFL as it is has changed over the years if not subtly. I'm sure it's different now than it was in 1969 or whatever year the LFL "started". I'm sure it's different now than it was in 1985. It's probably different than it was in 2011. As it is, the LFL is constantly evolving by nature.

Todd4State
04-02-2014, 09:31 PM

I agree, and you know what my biggest concern with this is?

I think in Scott's head his whole thought process was "Get Dan what he wants, build the football stadium, and then do baseball down the road."

Well, all of a sudden we go to Omaha and make some major noise and become probably the sports story for the state of Mississippi in 2013 and then all of a sudden, now he has people demanding that Dudy-Noble be renovated or completely rebuilt.

So now all of a sudden he's having to be flexible and it just seems like he kind of got caught with his pants down a little bit. Or at the very least that's the impression that I get.

But here's the other thing that worries me- even if we do it right, I can tell you right now that he is going to have to deal with some people that are going to be unhappy initially because their name isn't on their seat or whatever. And I can tell that he doesn't want to deal with that. So, my hope is that he actually nuts up and does the right thing for the baseball program rather than try to make one person happy.

Political Hack
04-02-2014, 09:37 PM
I think Dudy-Noble Field will be Scott's defining moment as AD- good or bad. And it could define whether he stays or goes.

I can't see the LFL going anywhere. At the meetings, pretty much everyone was in agreement that it should remain in some form or fashion. That included University officials.

I don't know about rebooting, rebranding, or whatever- I think that's a lot of radio jockey trying to get people to talk stuff. But I do think the LFL will have to change to be safer- but I think it can be done in a way that makes everyone happy while retaining the uniqueness of the LFL. I don't think that change necessarily involves "rebooting" it. I think that's sensationalism.

The LFL as it is has changed over the years if not subtly. I'm sure it's different now than it was in 1969 or whatever year the LFL "started". I'm sure it's different now than it was in 1985. It's probably different than it was in 2011. As it is, the LFL is constantly evolving by nature.

if anyone screws up the LFL they will be in the eternal doghouse. period. end of story. done. forever.

messageboardsuperhero
04-02-2014, 10:18 PM
I agree, and you know what my biggest concern with this is?

I think in Scott's head his whole thought process was "Get Dan what he wants, build the football stadium, and then do baseball down the road."

Well, all of a sudden we go to Omaha and make some major noise and become probably the sports story for the state of Mississippi in 2013 and then all of a sudden, now he has people demanding that Dudy-Noble be renovated or completely rebuilt.

So now all of a sudden he's having to be flexible and it just seems like he kind of got caught with his pants down a little bit. Or at the very least that's the impression that I get.

But here's the other thing that worries me- even if we do it right, I can tell you right now that he is going to have to deal with some people that are going to be unhappy initially because their name isn't on their seat or whatever. And I can tell that he doesn't want to deal with that. So, my hope is that he actually nuts up and does the right thing for the baseball program rather than try to make one person happy.

This is what I think it's all going to come down to- does Stricklin have the stones to stand up and do what's best for MSU? Even if that means putting our finances in the red for a little bit and upsetting some of the blue hairs in the short run? From what I've heard, the architechts have made it abundantly clear that the best move is to tear down and start over with a new grandstand, and there is more momentum behind this idea than ever.

It's going to take a little bit of a bold move to do what's right for MSU in the long run. Hopefully Stricklin's got it in him to make that bold move.

State82
04-02-2014, 10:40 PM

To do everything right, including overhauling the outfield, will probably take more than $40 mil

Todd4State
04-03-2014, 12:13 AM
This is what I think it's all going to come down to- does Stricklin have the stones to stand up and do what's best for MSU? Even if that means putting our finances in the red for a little bit and upsetting some of the blue hairs in the short run? From what I've heard, the architechts have made it abundantly clear that the best move is to tear down and start over with a new grandstand, and there is more momentum behind this idea than ever.

It's going to take a little bit of a bold move to do what's right for MSU in the long run. Hopefully Stricklin's got it in him to make that bold move.

Exactly. I hope Stricklin looks at what Byrne did because that was the last bold move the baseball program made and we see how that has worked out. I'm 99% sure that LT would have hired Raffo, and there would have been some support for that from some of our fans. But it simply wasn't the right move IF we really wanted to be a nationally recognized program. I'm honestly not sure we would have ever recovered from what would have been the "easy" move. You're talking about a generation of baseball players that would have basically seen us as the place with the trailers in the outfield and not the place that is a winner.

The baseball field is a similar move. Are we serious about having the best baseball program in America? Or are we going to be cheap and aw shucks MSU?

rabbitthedawg
04-03-2014, 08:37 AM
It's 2014.

We need to build some permanent structures in LF for groups to rent each season for about 1,500-2K per season. Old Timers get first crack. People can still bring grills and whatnot. RF needs to be a student section. That part is not hard.

What is hard is to figure out how to do it properly.

I agree in principle, but charging $1500 to $2000 is going above and beyond the call of duty. With ponying up money just to get a seat in DWS, then the same at the Hump, now you want to make us pay more for DNF? You reach a point we some of us are going to say, "to hell with it."

smootness
04-03-2014, 09:22 AM

But what evidence is there that backs up that impression? I feel like people just already peg Stricklin as a certain type and then assume he is going about things in a way that backs up that perception.

All we know is that Stricklin is riding the momentum of last season's run into putting together a phenomenal design team to build 'the best stadium in America,' in his own words. Doing this after a year like we had is the perfect time to be able to put together the kind of support it takes to accomplish that.

What about what he's doing makes you think he was caught with his pants down? I don't think he originally planned on doing DNF this soon, but he's taking advantage of the atmosphere around the baseball program right now.

And it's hard for me to see someone publicly stating that they want the best stadium in America if they plan on not doing everything it will take to accomplish that. Ultimately we'll see, but I have no reason to believe right now that Stricklin is not prepared to do what is necessary.

engie
04-03-2014, 09:35 AM
But what evidence is there that backs up that impression? I feel like people just already peg Stricklin as a certain type and then assume he is going about things in a way that backs up that perception....What about what he's doing makes you think he was caught with his pants down? I don't think he originally planned on doing DNF this soon, but he's taking advantage of the atmosphere around the baseball program right now.
The fact that he was on DS's radio show midseason last year talking about a mild sprucing up of Dudy Noble -- and about how it "isn't broken and just needs a little work" --- then, all of a sudden, 3-4 months later talking about razing the place and starting over. Something MAJOR changed during that time period -- and all we can do is speculate as to what it was -- but it was NOT in his initial gameplan to renovate on the level that we're now likely to see. Simplified -- what's happening now was NOT his plan all along...

While there are those that go too far about Strick, as you are implying, I don't think Todd is one of them -- and I agree with him on this topic 100%. Strick wasn't listening to "us" until after the Omaha run -- so what actually changed? Did the money men get in front of him and tell him what they wanted? Who knows?

And it's hard for me to see someone publicly stating that they want the best stadium in America if they plan on not doing everything it will take to accomplish that. Ultimately we'll see, but I have no reason to believe right now that Stricklin is not prepared to do what is necessary.
And nobody is disagreeing with this part... We are just "nervous" about it -- exactly like he should also be, since it's his entire legacy at MSU on the line...

smootness
04-03-2014, 09:40 AM
The fact that he was on DS's radio show midseason last year talking about a mild sprucing up of Dudy Noble -- and about how it "isn't broken and just needs a little work" --- then, all of a sudden, 3-4 months later talking about razing the place and starting over. Something MAJOR changed during that time period -- and all we can do is speculate as to what it was -- but it was NOT in his initial gameplan to renovate on the level that we're now likely to see. Simplified -- what's happening now was NOT his plan all along...

Fair enough, I didn't know he had said that. If that's true, then it looks like he was prepared to not do what was necessary. At least it looks like he's on the right track now, we just have to wait until we see what we're going to get.

Coach34
04-03-2014, 09:52 AM
I agree in principle, but charging $1500 to $2000 is going above and beyond the call of duty. With ponying up money just to get a seat in DWS, then the same at the Hump, now you want to make us pay more for DNF? You reach a point we some of us are going to say, "to hell with it."

1,500-2K is not alot of money to split between 3-4-5 people for those prime spots in LF and Left-Center that people would kill for.

And as far as being in prime locations for all 3- I think those days are over unless you are really well off. That is the cost of modern day sports and you have to pick your sport if you are most fans

If it were up to me- I'd build permanent spots and give the old timers 1st crack at them for 2K per season. With that 2K it would include 5 season tickets. Each spot would sit 10 people comfortably. I just think that's extremely fair for being one of the top venues in the country.

dawgs
04-03-2014, 10:05 AM
i would rather us make a creative, good decision with the LFL than wait until a trailer falls over severely injuring or killing some children to make that decision. i'd love for the university to allow folks to incorporate their trucks/trailers into a more permanent structure out there. it would take some work and some would probably be condemned, but if done right, it could be pretty awesome i think. basically a permanent patio like level with the trucks/trailers safely and stably built into the structure all the way around the OF. you'd still have the "look" and the personality of the LFL, but it would be much safer.

engie
04-03-2014, 10:05 AM
Fair enough, I didn't know he had said that. If that's true, then it looks like he was prepared to not do what was necessary. At least it looks like he's on the right track now, we just have to wait until we see what we're going to get.

This isn't the interview that I was talking about... but it shows how he was thinking much smaller scale on the front end...

http://media01.vsporto.com/_shows/bulldogsportsradio/2012-10-04-385784413-stricklinoct4.mp3

16:00 on...

smootness
04-03-2014, 10:25 AM
This isn't the interview that I was talking about... but it shows how he was thinking much smaller scale on the front end...

http://media01.vsporto.com/_shows/bulldogsportsradio/2012-10-04-385784413-stricklinoct4.mp3

16:00 on...

Good stuff, thanks. It would obviously be great if Stricklin had been looking to completely rebuild from the beginning, but I guess he at least seems as though he has listened to others and has realized what needs to be done.

We'll see.

ScoobaDawg
04-03-2014, 10:50 AM
1,500-2K is not alot of money to split between 3-4-5 people for those prime spots in LF and Left-Center that people would kill for.

And as far as being in prime locations for all 3- I think those days are over unless you are really well off. That is the cost of modern day sports and you have to pick your sport if you are most fans

If it were up to me- I'd build permanent spots and give the old timers 1st crack at them for 2K per season. With that 2K it would include 5 season tickets. Each spot would sit 10 people comfortably. I just think that's extremely fair for being one of the top venues in the country.

10 people??? They better be able to hold double that AT LEAST.

I agree with you that the price needs to go up though.
Im not sure what the current price is but I dont think it "includes" any season tickets with the cost.
Including 5 would give a benefit of $1k (GA Season tickets are $200 each) so the profit is whatever the difference in price is after that.

ScoobaDawg
04-03-2014, 10:53 AM
i would rather us make a creative, good decision with the LFL than wait until a trailer falls over severely injuring or killing some children to make that decision. i'd love for the university to allow folks to incorporate their trucks/trailers into a more permanent structure out there. it would take some work and some would probably be condemned, but if done right, it could be pretty awesome i think. basically a permanent patio like level with the trucks/trailers safely and stably built into the structure all the way around the OF. you'd still have the "look" and the personality of the LFL, but it would be much safer.

Do remember...the only accident occurring with major injuries was something our own school built in the Outfield....

dawgs
04-03-2014, 11:33 AM
Do remember...the only accident occurring with major injuries was something our own school built in the Outfield....

well i don't live in the area anymore, so maybe i missed this?

that said, just hire a better contractor to build it. just because that incident happened doesn't mean that the rigs are "safe" and that something way more catastrophic won't happen in the future, nor does it mean everything the university has built out there will result in an accident.

smootness
04-03-2014, 12:05 PM
well i don't live in the area anymore, so maybe i missed this?

that said, just hire a better contractor to build it. just because that incident happened doesn't mean that the rigs are "safe" and that something way more catastrophic won't happen in the future, nor does it mean everything the university has built out there will result in an accident.

Exactly. You make it safe before something bad happens, not after. 'Nothing has happened yet' isn't a reason to keep it the way it is because once that changes to, 'That's the only thing that's happened,' you're too late.