PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP - T minus 6 days until support ends

slickdawg
04-02-2014, 11:22 AM
Yet 27.69% of computers are running XP. I was guessing this number to be more like 33%. How much does windows 8 suck? It's barely outperforming the abomination known as Windows Vista.

My advice if you are on XP? Go to Windows 7. Windows 8 and 8.1 are DRAMATIC changes to the user interface, it works nothing like anything before it. To use sports terminology, Windows 7 is Jerry Rice while Windows 8/8.1 is PatPat

http://cdn2.tnwcdn.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2014/04/os_market_march_2014.png

MadDawg
04-02-2014, 11:26 AM
Windows 7 is the new Windows XP

Political Hack
04-02-2014, 12:03 PM
windows 8 makes me want to jump out of a window. they tried to be more like Mac IMo... which is the exact opposite of what they should do considering that's the reason people chose them over Mac.

If I could downgrade to windows 7 I'd do it in a heartbeat. Any suggestions?

TheRef
04-02-2014, 12:09 PM
windows 8 makes me want to jump out of a window. they tried to be more like Mac IMo... which is the exact opposite of what they should do considering that's the reason people chose them over Mac.

You can downgrade to Windows 7. Just get the software package for 7...easiest thing you can do.

slickdawg
04-02-2014, 12:11 PM

You probably can downgrade to windows 7. Many manufacturers hear the hatred of windows 8 and make drivers for windows 7 for new hardware.

Political Hack
04-02-2014, 12:12 PM
can I downgrade for free and not lose everything? I don't really trust myself doing much with operating systems.

Bullmutt
04-02-2014, 12:32 PM
I have just bought Windows 7 to replace XP but have yet to install it. I use Carbonite for backup and am alittle concerned as to how seamless the process will be to transfer that service for the new OS, assuming there is a process. Can anyone shed some light as to what is involved? Thanks.

DawgInMemphis
04-02-2014, 12:45 PM
I have just bought Windows 7 to replace XP but have yet to install it. I use Carbonite for backup and am alittle concerned as to how seamless the process will be to transfer that service for the new OS, assuming there is a process. Can anyone shed some light as to what is involved? Thanks.

The tools available in the software regarding system backups in general for Windows 7 are much more user friendly than in XP for external drives and the like. Carbonite is cloud based - so you'll just need to install their Windows 7 software. Should be fairly straightforward.

Bullmutt
04-02-2014, 12:48 PM
Thanks, again.

hacker
04-02-2014, 12:52 PM
Windows 8.1 isn't bad, for Windows anyway. A lot of improvements over 8 and you can boot directly to Desktop instead of the full screen Start Menu.

I'm a linux / mac user for life tho. Unfortunately I have to have a Windows machine out of necessity because it's so much better for gaming.

TheRef
04-02-2014, 01:11 PM
I live on Windows just because almost all weather software is written for Windows. Most of the analytical stuff is written for Linux-based OS. So I'm kinda a blend of Windows and Linux.

PassInterference
04-02-2014, 01:16 PM
I consider myself somewhat of a computer guru. I went to a big box store to look at a Windows 8 computer and couldn't figure out how to navigate around the internet. Neither could the sales guy. After about 15 minutes, I was sold on divorcing myself from Microsoft.

Hello, Apple.

slickdawg
04-02-2014, 02:39 PM
I live on Windows just because almost all weather software is written for Windows. Most of the analytical stuff is written for Linux-based OS. So I'm kinda a blend of Windows and Linux.

I'm a long term Unix guy, primarily Solaris. I decided to go with a Mac a few years ago and run Windows virtual machines (or boot camp) to deal with Windows stuff. Like you, I need Windows to handle weather software.

slickdawg
04-02-2014, 02:42 PM
I consider myself somewhat of a computer guru. I went to a big box store to look at a Windows 8 computer and couldn't figure out how to navigate around the internet. Neither could the sales guy. After about 15 minutes, I was sold on divorcing myself from Microsoft.

Hello, Apple.

I built a Windows 8.1 virtual machine last week and almost deleted it immediately because it's so dramatically different. I finally figured out how to make it come up in Desktop instead of the default Metro, which I simply hate.

archdog
04-03-2014, 03:38 PM
I like windows 8.1. No problems. It handles heavy software better than xp. We did a rendering test in our office. 7 and 8 finished within a minute of each other. XP was still working on the rendering the next day.

PassInterference
04-03-2014, 03:57 PM
In my industry, there is significant test equipment from multiple manufactures which require laptops that run Windows XP. This stuff doesn't run on Windows 7 or 8. Now surely the test equipment manufacturers should get off their ass and make stuff that works with a modern operating system.

But that doesn't change this:

Let's say utility companies who are very important to the public no longer have a supported operating system for their computers which calibrate their testing systems....

#ThinkOnIt