PDA

View Full Version : Well I got Aberdeened!!!!

KennyPowers2
04-02-2014, 10:19 AM
We had the TBF state tournament this past week launching out of the Aberdeen pool on the Tenn-Tom. There were no locking limits so it was free to run wherever you wanted. If any of you know me then you know my coast ass struggles up there during the tournaments. I usually kill them in practice and then something changes. Well I had two great days of practice where I could have weighed in 13-16 pounds fairly easy both days. First day of the tournament I found myself in 2nd place behind the local stud, Gene Brown, up there. I had 12.68 on 5 fish. I was pretty pumped because my fish cooperated for the first time in the State tournament up there. Well little did I know how saturday was going to turn out. I had 2 bites the entire day and wound up with one fish and finished 16th out of 81 boats. That place can bring you down quick. It is a great fishery but you really have to know what your doing to the T to win a tournament up there. The locals who I beat the first day caught there fish again the second day where I was struggling. There is a nice spotted bass swimming around with a Whack Um' Baits jig stuck in his head right now that is equally pissed as I am. He was my first bite and I broke off on him. He was a good one too so he probably cost me a top 6 finish or some money. It just reinforces the fact that I still have a lot to learn when it comes to the Tenn-Tom.

Political Hack
04-02-2014, 05:36 PM
You lost and your weekend still sounds awesome. I'm jealous.

Keep us updated on the tournament circuit please. pretty cool. like reading the updates.

Natedogg33
04-02-2014, 10:09 PM
KP2, that place is loaded with fish, I've just never figured out how to catch any good ones. Seems to be loaded with dinks. I've only really fished Columbus when I've been, but never could get on a good bite.
Got a younger buddy that is finishing his masters at state, and he's about got it figured out. Did you stay in Aberdeen or lock out?

Barking 13
04-02-2014, 10:31 PM
That's pretty good for that muddy mess.... I've been twice in the past 3 weeks and only got one 5 lb'er to show for it.. and that was the only bite I got...

off topic, I've known Kenny from Whack-um pretty much all of his life.. he lives real close to me...

BeastMan
04-02-2014, 11:03 PM
Still a great weekend. Did better than me and I was fishing my home lake. It was like mud soup after all that rain

KennyPowers2
04-07-2014, 08:57 AM
KP2, that place is loaded with fish, I've just never figured out how to catch any good ones. Seems to be loaded with dinks. I've only really fished Columbus when I've been, but never could get on a good bite.
Got a younger buddy that is finishing his masters at state, and he's about got it figured out. Did you stay in Aberdeen or lock out?

Actually I fished in Columbus and Aberdeen both days. I would lock down fish some places not too far away and then run back up and lock in. Saturday is even hour locking so I had to wait until 10:00 to go back up although I was ready at 8:30. The problem I had was I was getting 8-10 bites the two practice days and the first day of the tournament. Well, every fish I caught was over two pounds, but on the final Day I only had 2 bites and broke one off so thats what got me. I did not have a backup plan for my backup plan. Aberdeen has some good fish but they are hard to get to bite. The 2nd day was tough (bad windy) and the locals prevailed which is normal for a place like that. I am an Aliceville guy personally but I have grown fond of aberdeen the last couple of years.

Yeah Kenneth is a nice guy but his jigs really are great. Custom built hand tied jigs are the only way to go in my opinion. Same with Spinnerbaits unless it is a War Eagle. War Eagle are the best spinnerbaits that you can actually buy in a store.

Barking 13
04-09-2014, 01:08 AM
Joey at Flatlands makes some pretty good stuff too...

KennyPowers2
04-09-2014, 03:12 PM
Joey at Flatlands makes some pretty good stuff too...

Yes he does, I use him for umbrella rigs. A matter of fact I got some coming that should be in the mail this week from him. He makes nice jigs as well.

Barking 13
04-09-2014, 05:24 PM
I especially like his swim jigs