PDA

View Full Version : Masters Watch: Tiger Woods withdraws

SignalToNoise
04-01-2014, 11:17 AM
Tiger is having surgery and will miss the masters.

http://espn.go.com/golf/masters14/story/_/id/10709313/tiger-woods-back-surgery-pulls-masters&ex_cid=sportscenter

drunkernhelldawg
04-01-2014, 11:19 AM
BOMBSHELL

scottycameron
04-01-2014, 11:27 AM
I'm leaving Sunday for Augusta. Can't really decide if I care or not that Woods is scratched. I heard Mickelson might not play, any word on that?

FISHDAWG
04-01-2014, 11:43 AM
not a Tiger fan here ... (I don't like the way cusses on TV) but the Masters will not be complete with out him ... he needs to heal up and get back out on tour it's just better with him competing

SignalToNoise
04-01-2014, 11:51 AM
Haven't heard anything on Lefty. Didn't realize there was a possibility he might not play.

I am not really a Tiger fan either, but like the article said this is the first time in 20 years that he'll be absent. He's become a mainstay at the Masters so it will just be different with out him.

Dawg61
04-01-2014, 11:53 AM
Surgery for a pinched nerve. You could tell it was bothering him pretty badly a few weeks ago. Hate that he'll miss the 2nd best tournament of the year. The Masters is awesome!

scottycameron
04-01-2014, 12:13 PM
Surgery for a pinched nerve. You could tell it was bothering him pretty badly a few weeks ago. Hate that he'll miss the 2nd best tournament of the year. The Masters is awesome!

2nd best? That's begging for a response. I guess since this board is into soccer and stuff you consider the british open the best? Some other foreign open or South American tournament?
The Masters in #1 for me.

thf24
04-01-2014, 12:34 PM

I second. To me, nothing beats the surreal atmosphere and beauty of Augusta.

Dawg61
04-01-2014, 12:37 PM
2nd best? That's begging for a response. I guess since this board is into soccer and stuff you consider the british open the best? Some other foreign open or South American tournament?

US Open is my favorite, Masters #2

TheRef
04-01-2014, 12:50 PM

My order is as follows:

Masters
TPC
US Open
The Open

Bubb Rubb
04-01-2014, 12:54 PM
not a Tiger fan here ... (I don't like the way cusses on TV) but the Masters will not be complete with out him ... he needs to heal up and get back out on tour it's just better with him competing

Disagree. The Masters will be better. I think Tiger is good for the Masters if he's in contention on Sunday, but otherwise there is too much focus on him. I don't need to be reminded every five minutes that he is +4 in 76th place.

Dawg61
04-01-2014, 12:58 PM
Disagree. The Masters will be better. I think Tiger is good for the Masters if he's in contention on Sunday, but otherwise there is too much focus on him. I don't need to be reminded every five minutes that he is +4 in 76th place.

Come on now bro Tiger is the best ever and we are all following this story. When he finally gets out of this funk and finishes off Jack's record you'll be glad to have watched the whole show. Tiger always makes a tournament much more entertaining to watch.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
04-01-2014, 12:59 PM
Looks like the days of using roids, HGH, and "plasma" from Anthony Galea have caught up to him.

scottycameron
04-01-2014, 01:13 PM

The open is great also. One of things I love about the Masters is the same course, and that particular same course.
The open is brutal, the masters is tricky. I like tricky better than brutal I think.

Coach34
04-01-2014, 01:13 PM
Come on now bro Tiger is the best ever and we are all following this story. When he finally gets out of this funk and finishes off Jack's record you'll be glad to have watched the whole show. Tiger always makes a tournament much more entertaining to watch.

No, Jack is the best ever. And just like I predicted, injuries are creeping in like they did with Nicklaus. I dont think he breaks the record.

FISHDAWG
04-01-2014, 01:18 PM
I was there in 86 when he won his last .... absolutely awesome

Dawg61
04-01-2014, 01:22 PM
No, Jack is the best ever. And just like I predicted, injuries are creeping in like they did with Nicklaus. I dont think he breaks the record.

Disagree completely. Tiger will still break Jack's record. I'll bet you a bottle of Scotch on it :)

tcdog70
04-01-2014, 01:22 PM

Agree, Tiger won't be breaking Ole Jack's record. The Young Guns don't give a shit about Tiger

Dawg61
04-01-2014, 01:28 PM
Agree, Tiger won't be breaking Ole Jack's record. The Young Guns don't give a shit about Tiger

Tiger is 38 years old and has 14 majors. He's only 4 from Jack. I'm betting Tiger ends up with around 21 Majors won. Bookmark this.

FISHDAWG
04-01-2014, 01:32 PM
I don't think so now that the back problems are setting in ... he will win another major or two but not 4 .... there are a few, but not many who win majors over 40

quickstrike2
04-01-2014, 01:32 PM
I would rather him be at the masters than not play in it. It's not a big of a deal as him missing lets say 5 years ago. At one point, if Tiger wasnt in the field, a win didn't really count almost. It's not like that now, until he wins another major, I don't see him as a threat. The players aren't scared of him like they were once in my opinion.

Bothrops
04-01-2014, 01:39 PM
I don't think Tiger will break Jack's record. Tiger's best days are long gone.

SignalToNoise
04-01-2014, 01:41 PM
Count me in the boat that says he won't break Jack's record. I just don't think he has it anymore.

dogshiek
04-01-2014, 01:43 PM
It's amazing how detrimental a nine iron to the head can set back your golf game. Karma is a bitch.

Bubb Rubb
04-01-2014, 01:44 PM
I would rather him be at the masters than not play in it. It's not a big of a deal as him missing lets say 5 years ago. At one point, if Tiger wasnt in the field, a win didn't really count almost. It's not like that now, until he wins another major, I don't see him as a threat. The players aren't scared of him like they were once in my opinion.

Somebody alert the media, then. Because I'd rather watch Bubba Watson hitting fairways and greens than watching Tiger Woods hit it OB and grab his back. Every sports crawl and tournament coverage piece has to talk about how he's six over and back in the field. Why don't they tell me how Notah Begay is doing while they are at it.

Woods is done. I'm tired of the media making a story out of something that isn't there. He won't break Jack's record.

quickstrike2
04-01-2014, 02:00 PM
Somebody alert the media, then. Because I'd rather watch Bubba Watson hitting fairways and greens than watching Tiger Woods hit it OB and grab his back. Every sports crawl and tournament coverage piece has to talk about how he's six over and back in the field. Why don't they tell me how Notah Begay is doing while they are at it.

Woods is done. I'm tired of the media making a story out of something that isn't there. He won't break Jack's record.

Confused. Aren't we making the same point?

Martianlander
04-01-2014, 02:48 PM
It's gotten into Tiger's head. I will be surprised if he wins another major. Sundays are not his anymore.

Dawg61
04-01-2014, 02:53 PM

Give me a break dude. You're acting like he's suddenly David Duval and not the current #1 golfer in the world. He's ranked #1. They don't just give that to you. http://www.owgr.com

Dawgface
04-01-2014, 02:55 PM
Tiger is 38 years old and has 14 majors. He's only 4 from Jack. I'm betting Tiger ends up with around 21 Majors won. Bookmark this.

Better chance he won't win another major.

Dawg61
04-01-2014, 03:36 PM
Better chance he won't win another major.

Ridiculous. Keep hatin. Guy won a US Open with a torn ACL and had to play 19 extra holes to do it. I will never say there's something Tiger Woods can't do. He's the greatest athlete of all-time in any sport. LeBron might end up being #2.

Homedawg
04-01-2014, 04:30 PM
Ridiculous. Keep hatin. Guy won a US Open with a torn ACL and had to play 19 extra holes to do it. I will never say there's something Tiger Woods can't do. He's the greatest athlete of all-time in any sport. LeBron might end up being #2.

This is all legit. But he hasn't won one since them either. Prime years gone and stuck on 14. He might get to 18 but he won't get to 21.

Schultzy
04-01-2014, 04:49 PM
CBS is the big loser here, he still moves the ratings. Tiger might win one more major but I doubt it.

Still hoping Freddie has another Sunday run in him because he still has the distance and he almost won it three or four years ago.

Coach34
04-01-2014, 05:18 PM
Ask Freddie Couples what happens to great golfers that start having back trouble

Schultzy
04-01-2014, 05:46 PM
Ask Freddie Couples what happens to great golfers that start having back trouble

Yep, he coulda won ten majors.

Dawg61
04-01-2014, 05:46 PM

Pinched nerve isn't chronic back issues

Bothrops
04-01-2014, 06:30 PM
Greatest athlete of all time? I don't think that could apply for any golfer on tour. Best athlete in golf might be correct. The greatest athletes in sports that I've ever seen, are professional fighters of various disciplines.

Dawg61
04-01-2014, 06:36 PM
Greatest athlete of all time? I don't think that could apply for any golfer on tour. Best athlete in golf might be correct. The greatest athletes in sports that I've ever seen, are professional fighters of various disciplines.

Different argument for a different day. Every decathlete makes your top 100 list then.

TexasDawg
04-01-2014, 07:05 PM
I seriously doubt Tiger even gets one more major. He lacks that mental toughness that made him great back in his prime. Now its like he just hopes to somehow be in contention on major Sundays

Martianlander
04-01-2014, 08:18 PM

You must be too young to have seen Bill Russell play.