PDA

View Full Version : The Rebs are having a fit.

UMCDawg16
04-01-2014, 10:16 AM
Over a certain pastor of a big church in Rankin county making a light-hearted joke about The Plantation from the pulpit. The pastor is a State grad but with that being said is a great man and would do nothing to alienate his OM members. These fools have a 5 page rant going on Yancy's board about it. Hilarious and sad. Obviously these people have their priorities in the wrong place.

drunkernhelldawg
04-01-2014, 10:18 AM
Over a certain pastor of a big church in Rankin county making a light-hearted joke about The Plantation from the pulpit. The pastor is a State grad but with that being said is a great man and would do nothing to alienate his OM members. These fools have a 5 page rant going on Yancy's board about it. Hilarious and sad. Obviously these people have their priorities in the wrong place.

Don't know anything about this story, but I've heard stories about church politics. This could get interesting.

coastdoglover
04-01-2014, 10:20 AM
Most Christians don't mind the truth. Obviously they are in denial.

UMCDawg16
04-01-2014, 10:22 AM
What so bad is their were probably 500 OM fans in the congregation who heard it that had ZERO problem with the joke. But it only takes one guy to get his panties in a wad about it and now it's an uproar.

Irondawg
04-01-2014, 10:23 AM
What was the joke - I'm not going over there to look. I think I know who you are talking about and went there for years before moving. If I'm right, it's nothing uncommon and he'd throw jokes about MSU as well. Heck, my current pastor is an OM fan and will pick on both fan bases from the pulpit.

Political Hack
04-01-2014, 10:29 AM
I hope they keep it up. Some level headed rebels may actually have to lay the smack down to the idiot brigade.

BeastMan
04-01-2014, 10:59 AM
I bet theses same folks had nothing to say about the baptist deacon who celebrated a death in a admin over here's family on Nafoom.

Or the Guy Odom fella who celebrated MSU players getting hurt on twitter..

The moral of the story is if you can't handle a rival jab, you're a pitiful sissy. I see a ton of Rebs daily and I get more than my fair share of rivalry jabs. It doesn't bother me at all. There are local business that I patron that I could care less about how big of a Reb the owner is. He can call Mullen a hunchback till the cows come home. Don't care. It's sad that some real people (I'm not convinced all Scout posters are in fact people) live in this bubble where they act the way that they do. Fandom should never equate to and parallel your real life.

dickiedawg
04-01-2014, 11:00 AM
Was this pastor at a certain big church with satellite locations across the state, including one in Starkville and soon to be one in Oxford?

Because that pastor made a joke Sunday. He has made many digs at Ole Miss over the years. He also takes shots at State when we deserve it. But I've said before that if he made jokes about State like he has Ole Miss, I would probably walk out of the service on the spot.

As to the "joke" in question, here's a synopsis:
Part of the sermon was touching on not everyone in Heaven will have an "equal reward," based on the parable of the talents. He gave an example of Dan Mullen living in a shack while Hugh Freeze would get a palace. Then he said, paraphrased: 'Just kidding, there won't be any Ole Miss folks in Heaven.'

K9 Avenger
04-01-2014, 11:00 AM

I wonder if Guy Odom has a problem with this?

Political Hack
04-01-2014, 11:04 AM
I bet theses same folks had nothing to say about the baptist deacon who celebrated a death in a admin over here's family on Nafoom.

just to add... a deacon of a church in Oxford posted that he was glad Nick Bell died. A deacon...

Beast is talking about someone that was an ass about Behr's uncle.

ETA: edited to correct myself. I had the wrong rebel being "happy" about the wrong bulldog dying. Apparently it happens often.

Political Hack
04-01-2014, 11:06 AM
Was this pastor at a certain big church with satellite locations across the state, including one in Starkville and soon to be one in Oxford?

Because that pastor made a joke Sunday. He has made many digs at Ole Miss over the years. He also takes shots at State when we deserve it. But I've said before that if he made jokes about State like he has Ole Miss, I would probably walk out of the service on the spot.

Part of the sermon was touching on not everyone in Heaven will have an "equal reward," based on the parable of the talents. He gave an example of Dan Mullen living in a shack while Hugh Freeze would get a palace. Then he said, paraphrased: 'Just kidding, there won't be any Ole Miss folks in Heaven.'

the fact that they're not taking it as a joke speaks volumes.

HancockCountyDog
04-01-2014, 11:13 AM

There was a baptist preacher on the coast that made one too many MSU redneck jokes and I told him that I didn't appreciate it.

I like the rivalry, but there has to be a stopping point. I have some OM friends, LSU friends, AU friends, one AL friend, and a bunch of USM and MSU friends. I give all of them shit. Well I don't give my USM friends shit anymore, it feels like Im kicking a puppy. I don't want to hear smack talk from my preacher.

BeastMan
04-01-2014, 11:14 AM
So they are mad at Chip with Pinelake?? El oh el. I have visited there but don't go there. I've met Chip and he's a really nice guy. I've heard him make jokes about the rivalry before. So what? It's always in a friendly nature.

Drugdog
04-01-2014, 11:15 AM
The Preacher jokes a lot. I go to the Madison location. Nothing is mean spirited at all. He kids about not liking cats, and great hunting stories. The other Preachers kid about MSU. All in good fun.

BeastMan
04-01-2014, 11:21 AM
Just remembered that the pastor of the Ridgeland campus of Pinelake, is an Ole Miss guy. His name is Jeff and he's also a super guy. He and Chip go back and forth in a friendly manner. This whole thing is dumb

drunkernhelldawg
04-01-2014, 11:22 AM

I can see how that would piss off some OM Baptists. He smashed one side of their hearts into the other side of their hearts. Bloody mess.

M.Fillmore
04-01-2014, 11:30 AM
the fact that they're not taking it as a joke speaks volumes.

Bingo

Original48
04-01-2014, 12:13 PM
Just remembered that the pastor of the Ridgeland campus of Pinelake, is an Ole Miss guy. His name is Jeff and he's also a super guy. He and Chip go back and forth in a friendly manner. This whole thing is dumb
I know Jody Schmelzer, Chips right hand man and adult ministries leader at Pinelake who is a HUGE ole miss fan. You couldn't find a better guy around. I imagine their staff meetings on Mondays after football weekends are quite entertaining. Like Beast said though, this whole thing is beyond stupid. But..4 out of 5 and a potential top 10 class in 2015 is taking a lot of these people WAY outside their minds.

Saltydog
04-01-2014, 12:17 PM
What's his name? Is it Odom?

C222
04-01-2014, 12:19 PM
just to add... a deacon of a church in Oxford posted that he was glad Nick Bell died. A deacon...

Beast is talking about someone that was an ass about Behr's uncle.

ETA: edited to correct myself. I had the wrong rebel being "happy" about the wrong bulldog dying. Apparently it happens often.

Pretty sure the same poster over there made the comments about Behr's uncle and Nick Bell.

Political Hack
04-01-2014, 12:21 PM
What's his name? Is it Odom?

I think it's Freeze, but he lives in Oxford.

RState
04-01-2014, 12:57 PM
Thats some funny stuff there! There goes more bearsharks gettin all up in fits over piddlin mess like that. Figures. I tell ya one thing though I dont like when folks talk bad about a preacher like that. A man who's dedicated hisself to The Lord shouldnt be gettin attackted on the message boards. That there just dont sit right with me.