PDA

View Full Version : LSU coach says their baseball fans are classy....

Bigedawg
03-31-2014, 09:07 PM
And ours are not. Says that we boo opposing pitchers, etc. I believe he is the pitching coach. I have never in all of my years seen this. For anyone associated with LSU athletics to call an opposing fan base classless and the LSU fan base classy is ludicrous. I realize their baseball fans are not quite as bad, but still....

Skip ahead to the 8 minute mark to save yourself from the non-MSU portion.

http://t.co/PIunQBAhzM

messageboardsuperhero
03-31-2014, 09:12 PM
**** LSU.

I honestly hate them in baseball a good bit more than I hate UM- and it really isn't even close. Those assholes really believe they invented baseball.

Political Hack
03-31-2014, 09:12 PM
LSU fans are fun. I love going to their games. But for him to dog State fans is WAY off. Best venue in America.

AlSwearengen
03-31-2014, 09:15 PM
Seems to me like lsu is trying to stoke a fire or something. Did a State fan give it to Maneiri's daughter? Something is definitely up.

Lefthandersrule
03-31-2014, 09:18 PM
And it begins........

shoeless joe
03-31-2014, 09:28 PM
Apparently being a bitch is a pre requisite for LSU coaches.

Definitely makes the rivalry more fun.

BogeyGolfer
03-31-2014, 09:41 PM
It is the best venue in America but if you've ever sat near the visitor bullpen during a big game some of our fans act like dip-shits. I know last year during our regional I was embarrassed at the way many of our fans acted towards Central Arkansas pitchers who were warming up. Look, I'm all for a little ribbing but being a complete asshole is different. I do agree that is ironic that LSU coaches talk about class because their fans are the worst. I'm sure I'll catch shit for this but I'm just being honest.

bully99
03-31-2014, 09:49 PM
Them's fightin words. He's a volunteer assistant , played at LSU a few years ago.

Dawg61
03-31-2014, 09:50 PM
LSU saying they are classy is like a prostitute saying she's not a whore.

preachermatt83
03-31-2014, 10:02 PM
what an idiot.

preachermatt83
03-31-2014, 10:09 PM
what's his twitter handle? Im gonna give this guy fits from now til Friday

CadaverDawg
03-31-2014, 10:19 PM
Mason Twatz agrees with their pitching coach

Intramural All-American
03-31-2014, 10:23 PM
That's crazy. I seem to remember we gave Tyler Beede a nice standing O when he came out of the game a couple weeks ago. So we are actually very nice and loving.

Todd4State
03-31-2014, 10:25 PM
My how the roles have been reversed. I prefer to be on the side that LSU WAS on in the 1990's/2000's. LSU needs to worry about winning games and less about our fans booing pitchers.

I will say that LSU baseball fans are different from their football fans. The stories of them going out of their way to be nice in Omaha is true- which I used to think that ESPN just played that up. That said, the LSU fans that come to Starkville for baseball are typically your usual annoying LSU fans- probably have a few band wagoners at our game. That or the LSU fans that go to Omaha either only go to Omaha or they are locals who decided to cheer for LSU because they were winning.

But I'll finish with this- I only care about one thing. And that's winning. And if they think our fans aren't that nice, that's not really my problem.

Todd4State
03-31-2014, 10:26 PM
Mason Twatz agrees with their pitching coach

I was pissed when the Cardinals drafted him. He is everything that is not the Cardinal way.

Todd4State
03-31-2014, 10:29 PM
That's crazy. I seem to remember we gave Tyler Beede a nice standing O when he came out of the game a couple weeks ago. So we are actually very nice and loving.

If I was concerned about how nice our fans are or how mean they are- I wouldn't worry. ESPN is constantly talking about how nice our fans are in the LFL and they have shown opposing players giving testimony about our fans kindness.

messageboardsuperhero
03-31-2014, 10:39 PM
Yes, our fans are complete and total assholes for booing opposing pitchers. Visiting teams hate our fans.**

http://hailstatebeat.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/20140302-143004.jpg

https://twitter.com/bobcarskadon/status/440263161015316481

https://twitter.com/JaredMiller24/status/447853592502734848

https://twitter.com/afones24/status/447796886406430721

Honestly, I think being a whiny bitch is a prerequisite if you want to coach in Baton Rouge these days. LSU just expects other teams/fans to lay out the red carpet for them and kiss their ass whenever they come to town- and heaven forbid you do anything to try and get under their skin when they are the visiting team. If you throw their shit back in their face and don't back down, LSU pitches a hissy fit and calls you "classless."

You know damn well that there's going to be 10,000 corndogs at Alex Box this weekend calling our players everything under the sun, but you won't hear any bitching or whining from anyone on our side.

Todd4State
03-31-2014, 10:47 PM
LSU baseball fans act very entitled. It's like they expect everyone to bow down and be intimidated because they are LSU. If you don't do that and pull for your own team, they see that as "classless".

bully99
03-31-2014, 11:18 PM
When you have 6 big ones by hook or by crook you can be arrogant.

Just saw a baseball commit on Twitter. Daniel rawlins Brown. Looks like a little left handed pitcher from Tyler juco.

messageboardsuperhero
03-31-2014, 11:50 PM
what's his twitter handle? Im gonna give this guy fits from now til Friday

@willd52

TheRef
04-01-2014, 12:13 AM
Quote of juicy part of podcast.

"I don't really expect it to be any different than any other weekend, honestly. Um. There's a little history there but it's, it's been a while. And, ya know, we're not going to make a big deal out of it, but if they do then I guess it's going to be a little intense. And, ya know, you never know what to expect from those guys. Ya know, we'll see. We're just trying to win baseball games. And, ya know, I think our baseball fans are, ya know, a lot more, ya know, I don't, ya know, want to call out a fan base. But our fans are a lot more tame, um, and I'm not, I mean that in a good way. Ya know, for lack of a better word, they tend to stay classy. And, our fans, ya know, I think they will rag the Mississippi State guys, ya know, in a good way. Um, ya know, they'll be on them, but uh, not to the extent that we face when we go to Starkville. To where, ya know, where, uh, they boo the opposing pitcher whenever he comes out after innings. Our fans don't do those kinds of things. They're a very classy fanbase. So, um, I don't think that the...because of that element there won't be quite what you see but you, you never know. Our kids our tough kids and they're fighters and if they spark something, hey, we'll be right there with them."

Dawg61
04-01-2014, 12:24 AM

"I don't really expect it to be any different than any other weekend, honestly. Um. There's a little history there but it's, it's been a while. And, ya know, we're not going to make a big deal out of it, but if they do then I guess it's going to be a little intense. And, ya know, you never know what to expect from those guys. Ya know, we'll see. We're just trying to win baseball games. And, ya know, I think our baseball fans are, ya know, a lot more, ya know, I don't, ya know, want to call out a fan base. But our fans are a lot more tame, um, and I'm not, I mean that in a good way. Ya know, for lack of a better word, they tend to stay classy. And, our fans, ya know, I think they will rag the Mississippi State guys, ya know, in a good way. Um, ya know, they'll be on them, but uh, not to the extent that we face when we go to Starkville. To where, ya know, where, uh, they boo the opposing pitcher whenever he comes out after innings. Our fans don't do those kinds of things. They're a very classy fanbase. So, um, I don't think that the...because of that element there won't be quite what you see but you, you never know. Our kids our tough kids and they're fighters and if they spark something, hey, we'll be right there with them."

First pitch on Friday throw behind their leadoff guy.

TheRef
04-01-2014, 12:34 AM
With this quote, they become closer to TSUN. "We're not better than you in this sport right now, but dammit our fans our better!"

Todd4State
04-01-2014, 12:38 AM
First pitch on Friday throw behind their leadoff guy.

I prefer mowing their hitters down in this case. It could be an intense weekend to say the least- no matter what they say.

HereComesTheSpiral
04-01-2014, 07:35 AM

That is hard to read ya know.

engie
04-01-2014, 08:19 AM
It's been an imminent role reversal ever since Cohen literally had Mainieri in tears at the 2012 SEC baseball tournament with the pitching changes. I started saying it then -- he's alot more Polk and Cohen is alot more Bertman.

BeardoMSU
04-01-2014, 08:22 AM
That is very reminiscent of Boobie's post game interview at KY, 'ya know'.....

I want to win this series sooo freakin' bad. Screw those guys.

sandwolf
04-01-2014, 08:48 AM
It's been an imminent role reversal ever since Cohen literally had Mainieri in tears at the 2012 baseball camp with the pitching changes. I started saying it then -- he's alot more Polk and Cohen is alot more Bertman.

What happened in 2012 with Cohen and Mainieri?

M.Fillmore
04-01-2014, 09:12 AM
This guy is in dire need of a class in public speaking.

DawgInMemphis
04-01-2014, 09:34 AM

That's quite a painful read.

MarketingBully01
04-01-2014, 11:26 AM
It is the best venue in America but if you've ever sat near the visitor bullpen during a big game some of our fans act like dip-shits. I know last year during our regional I was embarrassed at the way many of our fans acted towards Central Arkansas pitchers who were warming up. Look, I'm all for a little ribbing but being a complete asshole is different. I do agree that is ironic that LSU coaches talk about class because their fans are the worst. I'm sure I'll catch shit for this but I'm just being honest.

Gee, that's odd considering Central Arkansas coaches and players had nothing to say but good things about us. They must have just chalked that up to playing at an opposing team's place or something....

MarketingBully01
04-01-2014, 11:29 AM
What happened in 2012 with Cohen and Mainieri?

He made a lot of pitching, pinch hitter, pinch runner changes. They worked because we beat them. :)

Political Hack
04-01-2014, 11:36 AM
I admit it. I was mean to the Vandy left fielder. I told him Jay Cutler's weird.

FFF
04-01-2014, 01:51 PM
He made a lot of pitching, pinch hitter, pinch runner changes. They worked because we beat them. :)

He also got pissed because we dogpiled on the field after beating them on a walk off hit by a freshman batting .143.

MarketingBully01
04-01-2014, 02:14 PM
And ours are not. Says that we boo opposing pitchers, etc. I believe he is the pitching coach. I have never in all of my years seen this. For anyone associated with LSU athletics to call an opposing fan base classless and the LSU fan base classy is ludicrous. I realize their baseball fans are not quite as bad, but still....

Skip ahead to the 8 minute mark to save yourself from the non-MSU portion.

http://t.co/PIunQBAhzM

I really love the fact that he denigrates our 6-3 lead of the West and doesn't even mention us but mentions South Carolina? What a dick. Would be sweet if we could some how sweep them this weekend. Hopefully their bats will stay anemic.

MarketingBully01
04-01-2014, 02:15 PM
He also got pissed because we dogpiled on the field after beating them on a walk off hit by a freshman batting .143.

Hehe, so true...

TheRef
04-01-2014, 02:17 PM
Bonner actually wrote a good commentary on the interview. He said, in essence, he started out great...then he kept talking...wasn't too bad...then he kept talking

ETA: Here's the Bonner commentary http://blogs.clarionledger.com/msu/2014/04/01/emotions-lowered-then-heightened-in-confusing-interview-with-lsu-assistant-coach/

KB21
04-01-2014, 02:21 PM
What's interesting is that Paul Manieri didn't feel this way 13 years ago when Notre Dame played in Starkville. At that time, he came out and stated that this was the best venue in the country for baseball and that the fans were great.

MarketingBully01
04-01-2014, 02:23 PM
What's interesting is that Paul Manieri didn't feel this way 13 years ago when Notre Dame played in Starkville. At that time, he came out and stated that this was the best venue in the country for baseball and that the fans were great.

Then he went to the corn dogs and became a douche.

MarketingBully01
04-01-2014, 02:26 PM
Bonner actually wrote a good commentary on the interview. He said, in essence, he started out great...then he kept talking...wasn't too bad...then he kept talking

ETA: Here's the Bonner commentary http://blogs.clarionledger.com/msu/2014/04/01/emotions-lowered-then-heightened-in-confusing-interview-with-lsu-assistant-coach/

I LOL'ed at that. Good find Ref.

MarketingBully01
04-01-2014, 02:28 PM
It's been an imminent role reversal ever since Cohen literally had Mainieri in tears at the 2012 SEC baseball tournament with the pitching changes. I started saying it then -- he's alot more Polk and Cohen is alot more Bertman.

Good analogy Engie. Mainieri is more like Polk and Cohen is more like Bertman. I just hope Cohen can win us some national championships like Bertman did at LSU. He knows the formula and recruits well. Hopefully he can get back there soon.

blacklistedbully
04-01-2014, 04:29 PM
Any statement that includes, "LSU fans" and, "classy" is by definition an oxymoron.

MarketingBully01
04-01-2014, 04:33 PM
Any statement that includes, "LSU fans" and, "classy" is by definition an oxymoron.

Haha, good one. I am just glad UnKlassy Katz is gone. I hated that dude with a passion. The LSU baseball team is as smug as Ole Miss' fan base is.

MsStateBaseball
04-01-2014, 08:36 PM
I have been chastised for saying this on twitter but our biggest Baseball rival is LSU. Om not even close. Going to be a big series. I hope we play well. Cool heads prevail.

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-01-2014, 08:41 PM
Nobody who remembers the K lady in the 80s can call LSU classy. DNF is a classy place with great fans. The articles speak for themselves.

Now, recently, maybe the students in right field have said inappropriate things to those warming up. That needs to stop. I noticed a few beer showers 2 years ago but that has seemed to stop. That ole miss shit doesnt need to fly at dnf. We are special.

If I see a student throw a beer on anyone or say something really vulgar, Ill do my part.

FFF
04-02-2014, 08:35 AM
Nobody who remembers the K lady in the 80s can call LSU classy. DNF is a classy place with great fans. The articles speak for themselves.

Now, recently, maybe the students in right field have said inappropriate things to those warming up. That needs to stop. I noticed a few beer showers 2 years ago but that has seemed to stop. That ole miss shit doesnt need to fly at dnf. We are special.

If I see a student throw a beer on anyone or say something really vulgar, Ill do my part.

The beer showers are ok to me.

In regards to vulgarity, I've heard FAR worse directed at opposing fans in the right field bleachers than any players on the field. You hear general heckling towards players... For big series, it may get a little more personal, but nothing really inappropriate or vulgar. Most of the time, they'll converse with you about bullshit between innings and it's like talking to your buddy. Once play starts back, it's heckling as normal.

Now opposing fans, that can be different. Most of the time no one is bothered by cheering and whatnot, but if they direct anything towards us or one of our players, that's when it gets vulgar. For instance, some Arkansas fans this past weekend started talking shit to Henderson (because Wes let a ball get by him... They started talking shit and directed it at Henderson) and right field let the fans have it. I'll stick up for our own all day... No one comes to our field and gets away with talking shit to our players.

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-02-2014, 08:40 AM
You are ok with someone dumping a beer on you? Why? I dont care if you are 15 or 50. It is the dumbest thing in the world to do. Why on earth would you throw a beer? Why not just throw money? Makes as much sense.

FFF
04-02-2014, 08:42 AM
You are ok with someone dumping a beer on you? Why? I dont care if you are 15 or 50. It is the dumbest thing in the world to do. Why on earth would you throw a beer? Why not just throw money? Makes as much sense.

I won't personally throw a beer but if someone throws it up in the air during a big play or whatever, that's their money and their deal. To me, It's just part of sitting in right field.

That shouldn't happen in the grandstands, though.

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-02-2014, 08:56 AM
Getting a beer dumped on you is part of sitting in right field? Mmmmk. I sit in right field a lot. I wouldnt be happy if a beer got dumped on me. In fact, Im pretty sure an international altercation would soon follow.

messageboardsuperhero
04-02-2014, 09:04 AM
The beer showers are ok to me.

In regards to vulgarity, I've heard FAR worse directed at opposing fans in the right field bleachers than any players on the field. You hear general heckling towards players... For big series, it may get a little more personal, but nothing really inappropriate or vulgar. Most of the time, they'll converse with you about bullshit between innings and it's like talking to your buddy. Once play starts back, it's heckling as normal.

Now opposing fans, that can be different. Most of the time no one is bothered by cheering and whatnot, but if they direct anything towards us or one of our players, that's when it gets vulgar. For instance, some Arkansas fans this past weekend started talking shit to Henderson (because Wes let a ball get by him... They started talking shit and directed it at Henderson) and right field let the fans have it. I'll stick up for our own all day... No one comes to our field and gets away with talking shit to our players.

Seriously? **** beer showers.

1) They're disgusting
2) It's a waste of good alcohol

I hope I never see the students at MSU trying to do that stupid bullshit at DNF- leave that crap at UM.

FFF
04-02-2014, 09:22 AM
Seriously? **** beer showers.

1) They're disgusting
2) It's a waste of good alcohol

I hope I never see the students at MSU trying to do that stupid bullshit at DNF- leave that crap at UM.

Simple fix, then...
1. Don't sit with students (I'm not a student, BTW)
2. Don't throw your beer

It's not a UM vs. State thing, if the moment calls for it, I don't have a problem with it. It should not happen in the grandstands or the bleachers, though... And it better not be anything other than plastic.

BulldogBear
04-02-2014, 01:14 PM
Sour grapes from last year. Mighty LSU (baseball capital of world) whiffs outa the CWS while lowly MSU (we have a baseball team?) makes it to the final

ScoobaDawg
04-02-2014, 01:38 PM
Simple fix, then...
1. Don't sit with students (I'm not a student, BTW)
2. Don't throw your beer

It's not a UM vs. State thing, if the moment calls for it, I don't have a problem with it. It should not happen in the grandstands or the bleachers, though... And it better not be anything other than plastic.

Screw that the moment never calls for it. If you want to pour beer over YOURSELF have at it. But noone who goes to any sporting event student or not should have to smell like a beer cooler because you or someone else thinks its cool to celebrate by throwing your beer (or jack and coke at football games) in the air.

FFF
04-02-2014, 03:13 PM
Screw that the moment never calls for it. If you want to pour beer over YOURSELF have at it. But noone who goes to any sporting event student or not should have to smell like a beer cooler because you or someone else thinks its cool to celebrate by throwing your beer (or jack and coke at football games) in the air.

I don't understand the hostility? I said:

1. I'm not a student.
2. I've been showered with beer at a sporting event... It didn't bother me
3. I've never thrown my cup of beer/whatever in The air for anything
4. Beer showers don't bother me at sporting events as long as it's not a danger to others (glass, metal, whatever)

What's the big deal? I don't participate in throwing my beer in the air because I'd much rather drink it. But as long as it's a solo cup or an equivalent, I quite frankly don't care if the moment calls for it. That's my opinion on it. I'm not trying to change anyone else's view. Is it wrong not to care or something?