PDA

View Full Version : Freeze vs Mullen

Esmerelda Villalobos
03-31-2014, 07:25 PM
A little food for thought. Comparing the "stereotypes" of the two schools, the two head coaches personalities are more in line with their rival school than their employer.

Coach34
03-31-2014, 07:55 PM
I know you dont like Mullen, but as far as Freezus:

I fail to see how a complete hypocrite preacher posing as a coach from an upscale private school embodies Miss State?

Esmerelda Villalobos
03-31-2014, 07:58 PM
No I guess their image.

Freeze: good old boy. Aw shucks. Unpolished

Mullen: pompous and arrogant. More polished.

Real Deal
03-31-2014, 08:01 PM
Need some of each to succeed anywhere, at anything. It's all a matter of finding the right blend.

Political Hack
03-31-2014, 08:19 PM
MSU needed a shot of arrogance more than any other school in the SEC. Mullen was exactly what the Dr ordered.

BeardoMSU
03-31-2014, 09:21 PM
No, sir.

Harrydawg
03-31-2014, 10:39 PM
Nope, I think they are a good fit for each school.

Mullen - I am what I am and who cares (and yes, we need his confidence because our fans are the most non-confident fans in the damn country).

Freeze - what I pretend to be is much more important than what I am - praise the Lord! The honest, oh shucks preacher act does not fit UM but like much of the UM fronts.....it's just an act.

Todd4State
03-31-2014, 10:51 PM
No I guess their image.

I see it more as:

Freeze: Overrated hypocrite

Mullen: What you said.

So, I'd say Freeze fits their school pretty well. Anyone not from the South is not going to "fit" stereotypical MSU. And Dan doesn't fit in that sense. But if Dan wins as big as I think he is going to the next two years, I think he's going to fit in a lot better. Sort of like how Ron Polk was from Boston by way of Arizona but he won and so now he's OK.

thf24
03-31-2014, 11:05 PM
No I guess their image.

You'd have a stronger comparison if Freeze's good ole boy persona wasn't largely an act. He is unpolished in that he gets flustered too easily in public interaction situations.

BeastMan
04-02-2014, 02:42 PM
Great thought Ennis. It inspired me to write about this topic today. Also, the responses helped as well. I think this was an extremely intriguing thread that didn't get near the run it deserved.
http://3rdand57.com/the-mullen-vs-freeze-irony/

RougeDawg
04-02-2014, 03:42 PM
Bullshit. We aren't hypoctitical. The Beav's success is based solely on the fact that he hasn't stepped on his dick numerous times on the field and recruiting trail. The downfall of Nitt was stoping on his and other's dicks too often. Bucky brought in a gimmicky offense that took defenses 2 years to figure out and shut down. And most importantly, he hasn't stepped on the dicks of any of his best recruiters, the boosters. Jesus Christ some of you try to make mountains out of mole hills.

BeastMan
04-02-2014, 04:14 PM
Dude, if that is what you took from that, you need to step away from the keyboard. If you got me saying "MSU is hypocritical", I don't know what to tell you.

blacklistedbully
04-02-2014, 05:14 PM
Beastman, you need to do a quick edit, as the following sentence actually says the exact opposite of what you meant to say:

After the Croom error, there was not a program in America that didn?t need a shot of self-confidence more than MSU.

What you meant was, "After the Croom error, there was not a program in America that needed a shot of self-confidence more than MSU."

Dawgowar
04-02-2014, 05:17 PM
Mullen essentially coaches and runs this program with both middle fingers extended. Agree with the sentiment that his attitude and persistence was needed. Badly. We have allowed the "Big Six" and TSUN to keep their boots on our throats for too damn long. I like Mullen's approach.

RougeDawg
04-03-2014, 08:24 AM
Dude, if that is what you took from that, you need to step away from the keyboard. If you got me saying "MSU is hypocritical", I don't know what to tell you.

I got what you said. You said the opposing coaches have the personalities of the other fan bases. I don't know any "do as I say, not as I do" State fans. So no we are not hypocritical. So yes, Jesus Christ some people pull straws from every which angle and make mountains out of molehills.

BeastMan
04-03-2014, 08:34 AM
If you can't look at stereotypes (which aren't freaking reality!!) and laugh, you need a break. The hilarity of you saying I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill over a lighthearted article is rich

blacklistedbully
04-03-2014, 11:09 AM
I got what you said. You said the opposing coaches have the personalities of the other fan bases. I don't know any "do as I say, not as I do" State fans. So no we are not hypocritical. So yes, Jesus Christ some people pull straws from every which angle and make mountains out of molehills.

Dude, he's talking about perceptions. He's not debating the reality, in fact, he made it clear he was talking only about perceptions and stereotypes, and the irony that the stereotypes of each school seem to match the perceived personalities of the rival school's coach.

If you asked Beast what he thought the reality is, he'd probably tell you Mullen is much more of a fit at MSU, and Freeze at Ole Miss. Mullen is about hard work, earning your spot, & personal responsibility. That seems to fit MSU. Freeze is more about image, stroking egos, selling snake-oil, & perception-over-reality. Good fit for Ole Miss.

RougeDawg
04-03-2014, 05:53 PM
Dude, he's talking about perceptions. He's not debating the reality, in fact, he made it clear he was talking only about perceptions and stereotypes, and the irony that the stereotypes of each school seem to match the perceived personalities of the rival school's coach.

If you asked Beast what he thought the reality is, he'd probably tell you Mullen is much more of a fit at MSU, and Freeze at Ole Miss. Mullen is about hard work, earning your spot, & personal responsibility. That seems to fit MSU. Freeze is more about image, stroking egos, selling snake-oil, & perception-over-reality. Good fit for Ole Miss.

Dude...... I know what he's talking about. Anyone with half a functioning brain can see The Beavs real persona and personality. "Praise The Lord, turn the other cheek" and go after a fan after a game. Your own fan for that matter. That's the personality Hugh potrays to anyone outside the Bear family. I see a fake person. State fans are not fake. End of story.

blacklistedbully
04-03-2014, 07:02 PM
Dude...... I know what he's talking about. Anyone with half a functioning brain can see The Beavs real persona and personality. "Praise The Lord, turn the other cheek" and go after a fan after a game. Your own fan for that matter. That's the personality Hugh potrays to anyone outside the Bear family. I see a fake person. State fans are not fake. End of story.

You are just wrong. Being an asshole about it just makes you look worse. Freeze just won the Fellowship Of Christian Atheltes COY award, so unless you think all those guys are half-wits, then it's clearly not obvious to everyone outside of the Bear family.

That's what makes it ironic, the point of Beast's post. Many, including Bear fans think he's sincere. Those of us who think he's a cheap-suit, bible-thumping false prophet of a circus clown are sure he's a fraud, selling his supporters and recruits on an image that belies the truth. Perfect for Ole Miss. Those that think he's sincere would imagine him a better fit at MSU, with Mullen's arrogance a fit for Ole Miss. But we MSU fans view his supposed arrogance as supreme self-confidence.

No matter what you believe, it was abundantly clear what Beast meant, and you just don't seem able to really grasp it.

fishwater99
04-04-2014, 10:22 AM
Mullen is 0-19 vs the Top 20

Freeze is 1-7 vs the Top 20

blacklistedbully
04-04-2014, 12:04 PM
Mullen is 0-19 vs the Top 20

Freeze is 1-7 vs the Top 20

How many of those 19 were Top 10? Top 5? How many total losses did those teams suffer?