PDA

View Full Version : 2015 QB Prospect Nick Tiano from Chatanooga, TN

SouthMsDawg
03-31-2014, 02:18 PM
I read this kid was on campus over the weekend. Big dual threat QB out of Chatanooga, Tennessee. From what I have heard he is VERY interested, already has a Miami offer but wouldnt mind being closer to home.

6'5" 230 and runs a lot better than I expected.

Nick Tiano
http://247sports.com/Player/Nick-Tiano-30306

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1548759/nick-tiano

RossDawg82
03-31-2014, 02:21 PM
looks good. I also like that TE

Coach34
03-31-2014, 02:23 PM
he's a load but is only listed as a 4.96 in the 40...interesting

RossDawg82
03-31-2014, 02:32 PM
no way, he looked faster than that.

smootness
03-31-2014, 03:22 PM
From what I've read, I wouldn't call this kid a dual-threat. He said he considers himself a pro-style QB (I know most say this), and by his own admission he runs a 4.8 and expects to mostly be a pocket passer.

SouthMsDawg
03-31-2014, 03:35 PM
Robbie from Rivals interviewed Tiano and said that Brian Johnson is going to watch him throw this spring and if he liked what he saw we could see an offer.

Coach, I know you are all about J'Mar but nobody seems to even be close to offering him as a QB and that concerns me a lot. Kid is a solid athlete but is he an SEC QB thats my big concern.

Tiano has already been offered by the U (Miami) and will likely get some mid major offers soon such at MTSU, USM, South Al, Memphis.

smootness
03-31-2014, 03:58 PM
Tiano has already been offered by the U (Miami) and will likely get some mid major offers soon such at MTSU, USM, South Al, Memphis.

It has been stated over and over and over, though, that at this point, with our system, it doesn't really matter how good a QB is if he doesn't fit what we want to do.

Dak Prescott didn't have many offers at all until late in his senior year. There's still time for Smith.

Coach34
03-31-2014, 05:16 PM
Coach, I know you are all about J'Mar but nobody seems to even be close to offering him as a QB and that concerns me a lot. Kid is a solid athlete but is he an SEC QB thats my big concern.

I'm actually not all about J'Mar. I'm for finding another QB in the mold of Dakota Prescott, Damien Williams, Nick Fitzgerald, and Elijah Staley. Dual-threat QB's with leadership abilities that come from stable households. These 4 guys have ability and character, and to me that is paramount at the QB position. LB? Not so much. I want LB's that come from poor single parent families that are hungry and pissed off at the world.

We need a QB with good size, poise, leadership, that can run the football. If we get that- I'll be happy.

601Dawg
03-31-2014, 05:49 PM
Watch Tiano's highlights he's not a bad runner at all.

Political Hack
03-31-2014, 07:21 PM
J'Mar may be the best athlete in the state, but anyone who thinks he's our QB for this class is lost in the film room.

John Farley
04-01-2014, 06:02 AM
Actually JMar has a huge lead on most of the QBs in the class because he is the best athlete in the state and because he had a big game in the playoffs against Brandon. It's his spot of he wants it and I feel pretty dang confident saying that

Political Hack
04-01-2014, 07:02 AM
I don't doubt that John, but he's an athlete playing QB. not the other way around. on an athlete scale, he's a 10.

smootness
04-01-2014, 07:33 AM
I don't doubt that John, but he's an athlete playing QB. not the other way around. on an athlete scale, he's a 10.

I'm ok with this. In college football today, the guys who in the past were 'great athlete, but not a QB' are thriving at QB. Nick Marshall, Johnny Manziel, Taylor Martinez...

engie
04-01-2014, 08:29 AM
Actually JMar has a huge lead on most of the QBs in the class because he is the best athlete in the state and because he had a big game in the playoffs against Brandon. It's his spot of he wants it and I feel pretty dang confident saying that

Exactly

Political Hack
04-01-2014, 09:16 AM
I think Carl Lewis should be our QB. Maybe Tubby?

Coach34
04-01-2014, 09:36 AM
Hack, you might as well give up that drop back passer dream of yours

engie
04-01-2014, 09:45 AM
I think Carl Lewis should be our QB. Maybe Tubby?

No -- Tyler Russell. Obviously**

John Farley
04-01-2014, 09:50 AM
There have been some good passing qbs come through the state. Guy Billups had the best touch I have ever seen. Gardner might be the best leader I have seen. Jack Abraham is by far the best pure QB I have seen. But watching what Dak can do compared to what Tyler could do, I will take JMar all day long

Political Hack
04-01-2014, 09:53 AM
I'll take Jameis over Nick Marshall 100
times out 100.

John Farley
04-01-2014, 09:55 AM
Not in Auburns offense you wouldn't

Dawg61
04-01-2014, 10:03 AM
Not in Auburns offense you wouldn't

I'd still take Jameis

Political Hack
04-01-2014, 10:05 AM
I would never run an offense where the QB is 80%+ of the production. It's an unnecessary risk when you could spread the wealth. Anyone ever consider the irony of running a "spread" and using one guy to get all your yards?

At a certain point you need someone who can complete passed on 3rd downs. Dak is getting there, but that's because he's a true dual threat. This affinity for run first QBs is the dumbest shit I've ever seen and I hate it with a passion. That's not a QB. That's the Notre Dame box with a HB lined up taking a snap. We have fans that want to put the wildcat on steroids.

Also, the Dak vs Tyler debate??? I'm not looking back to check it, but I think Dak has started and won exactly 1 SEC game in his career. I love the fan fare, but we're anointing him based off of speculation right now... which I'm fine with because it's good publicity, but he's got to win SEC games before he passes any QB at state... much less the single season passing leader.

Irondawg
04-01-2014, 10:21 AM
Back to Nick - his film looks pretty good. Best attribute is the way he keeps his balance and pocket presence. He does look faster than 4.8 but you can tell he's not a blazer. However, on film he has a nice burst when he decides to run and i think that makes him look faster than he is. A great first step is important though.

Relf wasn't a speed demon either and he got the job done.

Hopefully the kid is at least on our list and will come to Big Dawg

hailmari
04-01-2014, 10:53 AM
He doesn't have to be Michael Vick, he's just gotta be able to move his feet and know how to win. That's why I'm not yet against recruiting Minshew. I wanna see if he can at least elude pressure consistently first, because that was Russell's issue.

Political Hack
04-01-2014, 10:54 AM
He doesn't have to be Michael Vick, he's just gotta be able to move his feet and know how to win. That's why I'm not yet against recruiting Minshew. I wanna see if he can at least elude pressure consistently first, because that was Russell's issue.

agree.

Coach34
04-01-2014, 11:30 AM
Also, the Dak vs Tyler debate??? I'm not looking back to check it, but I think Dak has started and won exactly 1 SEC game in his career.

Which is one more than Tyler won before his Jr year

Political Hack
04-01-2014, 11:33 AM
Which is one more than Tyler won before his Jr year

that's incredibly incorrect... but I like your heart.

Coach34
04-01-2014, 11:38 AM
For our offense to be the best it can be- we have to have a QB capable of running the football 10 times or so per game. You can whine, moan, not understand, or complain all you want- but that is what puts the most stress on a defense.

Chris Relf was not a very good passer- yet we still had a better offense with him at QB than we did with Russell. It's because of the running QB aspect. You'll really see this season what Mullen's offense can do with a veteran group of WR's and a mobile QB. Drop back passers are worthless in college unless you run the I and/or have NFL caliber WR's.

Coach34
04-01-2014, 11:38 AM
that's incredibly incorrect... but I like your heart.

What SEC team did Tyler beat as a Soph?

Pollodawg
04-01-2014, 11:47 AM
What SEC team did Tyler beat as a Soph?

I'm interested to hear this one as well.

Political Hack
04-01-2014, 11:52 AM
context... Ralph was the clear cut starter. Tyler barely played compared to Dak. Dak took over this year except when he was hurt at the end of the season.

Dak, our running QB, had twice as many pass attempts as Tyler, our passing QB, as a sophomore.

Tyler's first true year was as a Jr. Dak's was this year as a So.

Coach34
04-01-2014, 12:06 PM
But you said I was incorrect- and I wasnt. Just wanted to clarify that Dakota had more SEC wins than Tyler before their Jr seasons

Coach34
04-01-2014, 12:09 PM
Dak, our running QB, had twice as many pass attempts as Tyler, our passing QB, as a sophomore.

Also let me add some more context. Dakota, "our running QB" as you call him- completed passes at a 5% higher rate than "our passing QB" did his Soph year

Political Hack
04-01-2014, 12:12 PM
Also let me add some more context. Dakota, "our running QB" as you call him- completed passes at a 5% higher rate than "our passing QB" did his Soph year

you mean the guy who holds the single season passing record at State?

engie
04-01-2014, 12:12 PM
context... Ralph was the clear cut starter. Tyler barely played compared to Dak. Dak took over this year except when he was hurt at the end of the season.

It's asinine that you even want to attempt to argue this -- before moving straight into skew mode.

Tyler started 4 games in 2011 -- 3 SEC games. "Barely played"...

Coach34
04-01-2014, 12:14 PM

Didnt he also throw the most passes in a single season?

Coach34
04-01-2014, 12:15 PM
So, to summarize...Prescott had more SEC wins than Russell and also completed passes at a higher rate than Russell entering their Jr years

Political Hack
04-01-2014, 12:15 PM
it is incorrect in that's it a biased stat. Dak has more TD passes than Nicky Fitz and Staley right now too. The QB depth chart matters tremendously when looking at numbers.

Who's better: Peyton Manning or Arron Murray? Murray has the career passing record for the SEC, but he also played more games than Peyton. That's relevant.

Political Hack
04-01-2014, 12:18 PM
It's asinine that you even want to attempt to argue this -- before moving straight into skew mode.

Tyler started 4 games in 2011 -- 3 SEC games. "Barely played"...

what? are you serious? Dak threw the ball twice as much as Tyler in their sophomore years, which means he probably took 3 times as many snaps.

Political Hack
04-01-2014, 12:19 PM
and skewing points??? the fact remains Dak has ONE SEC win right now. One.

engie
04-01-2014, 12:21 PM

So, you support your position by a "record" that was broken by 62 FBS QBs last year -- and WOULD have been broken by Dak Prescott as a full-time starter?

That's convincing**

It's going to be fun having this discussion with you 8 months from now. Hey, I still think Tyler was better!!1!1

Burn the bitch down if Minshew doesn't get the scholly and J'Mar sucks -- and anyone that thinks otherwise "don't know their way around the film room". You've made your position clear -- even though it's laughable.

Political Hack
04-01-2014, 12:27 PM
I don't think Tyler was better. I think Dak is.

However, I think using Tyler-the single season passing record holder-as a crutch to write off QBs who can actually pass the ball is dumb.

Political Hack
04-01-2014, 12:28 PM
you counted wrong, it was 59.

engie
04-01-2014, 12:31 PM
2422 was the record.

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20140401-5yl1-89kb.jpg

smootness
04-01-2014, 12:48 PM
Why have a QB who is 80+% of the offense? Because it works.

In reality, most offenses are 100% reliant on the QB. The QB may hand off a lot, but the run game is only effective if that QB is a serious threat to beat you through the air. Who cares if the QB gets a lot of yards on the ground, or if the RBs do it?

Surely you understand the benefit of being able to run a scheme where the defense has no idea, even after the ball is snapped, who is going to end up with the ball or what kind of play will be run.

In college, I will take an offense like ours all day over an offense like Bama's. Especially at a place like Mississippi State.

With our offense, we were able to win 9 games with Chris Relf. With a traditional I-formation, drop-back style offense, you better strike on a QB or you will be in a world of hurt. While our offense technically relies more on the QB, I think it is far less dependent on any one individual QB. Once guys are in our system for a year or more, they should be able to step right in and at least be somewhat effective, so long as they can run.

Political Hack
04-01-2014, 01:16 PM
2422 was the record.

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20140401-5yl1-89kb.jpg

I didn't really go look it up... I knew you'd go back and get it for me though. thanks.

esplanade91
04-01-2014, 01:24 PM
From what I've read, I wouldn't call this kid a dual-threat. He said he considers himself a pro-style QB (I know most say this), and by his own admission he runs a 4.8 and expects to mostly be a pocket passer.
Dual threat is the new pro style*

Pollodawg
04-01-2014, 04:58 PM
Arguing that TR shattered our single season passing record is silly. Have you seen our single season passing records for the most part? lol There are dozens of competent QBs who could have done that. Hell, Madkin was our gold standard before TR, and I don't think WAyne ever through for 2,000 yards in one season. Dude had 35 tds to 36 ints. I Like Wayne and all, but come on, man.....It aint hard to improve on that.

Coach34
04-01-2014, 05:11 PM
One thing people don't realize- combined in 2013, we threw for more yards than we did in 2012

Political Hack
04-01-2014, 05:14 PM
Arguing that TR shattered our single season passing record is silly. Have you seen our single season passing records for the most part? lol There are dozens of competent QBs who could have done that. Hell, Madkin was our gold standard before TR, and I don't think WAyne ever through for 2,000 yards in one season. Dude had 35 tds to 36 ints. I Like Wayne and all, but come on, man.....It aint hard to improve on that.

arguing that the single season passing record isn't relevant to QB rankings at state is silly.

engie
04-01-2014, 05:19 PM
arguing that the single season passing record isn't relevant to QB rankings at state is silly.

Not really. It's a different era of football. It's like arguing the equivalency of Mark McGuire and Babe Ruth.

If over half the starting QBs in FBS surpass a "record" -- it's not a "record" that is worth hanging your hat on...

When Dak surpasses it this year, as well as our career TD and total yardage records, then what?

AlSwearengen
04-01-2014, 05:21 PM
I don't like the idea of having a running QB b/c of the injury factor. BUT, because we don't typically have the talent that the top rung of the SEC has, we are better off running an "unconventional" offense.

It is amazing how many options open up for our offense because the defense has to keep an eye on the QB. Slows their rush down, makes them use a spy, etc., etc. (the coaches on this board can go into further detail).

We could also argue that having a QB stand in the pocket behind our OL might get him hurt just as quickly as Dak running around will. So, in the end, it might be a wash.

Let's get the guy from Meridian and if he doesn't make it as a QB, put him at TE. Sounds like he is a great athlete from the way everyone talks about him.

Political Hack
04-01-2014, 05:23 PM
Not really. It's a different era of football. It's like arguing the equivalency of Mark McGuire and Babe Ruth.

If over half the starting QBs in FBS surpass a "record" -- it's not a "record" that is worth hanging your hat on...

When Dak surpasses it this year, as well as our career TD and total yardage records, then what?

then he will have had the best single season as a QB in MSU history and be in the discussion for the best QB we've ever had.

Todd4State
04-01-2014, 05:32 PM

And what would Tyler have done under Jackie, Croom, Bellard, etc? The point is Dan can take a guy that doesn't "fit" his system and have success on offense doing so. Statistically speaking, Tyler was better than Relf who "fit". Why people want to downplay that is beyond me.

It was so "easy" to accomplish no else has done it. And now it's "well, the schedule was "easy".

Tyler barely played half the season last season- if he stays healthy last year, he completely annihilates the schools passing records.

But back to the topic- Dan will recruit and sign who he feels the best QB for MSU is. And I have confidence that Dan will make it work whatever the skill set of the recruit is.

Todd4State
04-01-2014, 05:45 PM
I don't like the idea of having a running QB b/c of the injury factor. BUT, because we don't typically have the talent that the top rung of the SEC has, we are better off running an "unconventional" offense.

It is amazing how many options open up for our offense because the defense has to keep an eye on the QB. Slows their rush down, makes them use a spy, etc., etc. (the coaches on this board can go into further detail).

We could also argue that having a QB stand in the pocket behind our OL might get him hurt just as quickly as Dak running around will. So, in the end, it might be a wash.

Let's get the guy from Meridian and if he doesn't make it as a QB, put him at TE. Sounds like he is a great athlete from the way everyone talks about him.

I think we definitely want a mobile QB at the very least. Someone that can move in the pocket and create. I don't think it HAS to be someone that runs 25 times a game on the option though. Dak is largely successful also as a passer because he has the ability to create and make plays with BOTH his arms and his legs. That's the difference to me between him and Tyler and Relf. Tyler was one extreme, and Relf was almost the other. And yes, Relf put up some numbers as a passer, but his ability as a passer certainly limited what we could do in the passing game.

I think with a guy like Dak, we could run him around 12 times a game and throw it 25 times roughly and that would be a good ratio to use his talents and limit getting him beat up. The thing is, if Dak or another QB can throw, they have to take people out of the box, and that opens up the running game for everyone and it makes it easier on the QB and the RB's to run the ball. When the other team KNOWS that our QB is "the guy" running the ball and the guy running the offense, you better believe that they are going to take shots on him. And that's what gets him hurt.

As far as J'Mar and Minchew and etc. I think it's a mistake to assume that because two QB's are similar in style that we would be getting the exact same QB as guys that we have had in the past. It just doesn't work like that in real life. Every QB is different. But my opinion is the same as always- I think both are good QB's, and I think the smartest thing to do would be to bring both in and let them compete.

AlSwearengen
04-01-2014, 07:00 PM
I think we definitely want a mobile QB at the very least. Someone that can move in the pocket and create. I don't think it HAS to be someone that runs 25 times a game on the option though. Dak is largely successful also as a passer because he has the ability to create and make plays with BOTH his arms and his legs. That's the difference to me between him and Tyler and Relf. Tyler was one extreme, and Relf was almost the other. And yes, Relf put up some numbers as a passer, but his ability as a passer certainly limited what we could do in the passing game.

I think with a guy like Dak, we could run him around 12 times a game and throw it 25 times roughly and that would be a good ratio to use his talents and limit getting him beat up. The thing is, if Dak or another QB can throw, they have to take people out of the box, and that opens up the running game for everyone and it makes it easier on the QB and the RB's to run the ball. When the other team KNOWS that our QB is "the guy" running the ball and the guy running the offense, you better believe that they are going to take shots on him. And that's what gets him hurt.

As far as J'Mar and Minchew and etc. I think it's a mistake to assume that because two QB's are similar in style that we would be getting the exact same QB as guys that we have had in the past. It just doesn't work like that in real life. Every QB is different. But my opinion is the same as always- I think both are good QB's, and I think the smartest thing to do would be to bring both in and let them compete.

I agree with all of this. Just the fact that Dak can hurt you with the run will cause a defense to have to account for it, resulting in openings in other areas. If Dak gets it done through the air early in the season and a team decides they are going to key on the receivers, we should be able to let Dak keep it for seven or eight yards and slide. Let him run in open field and teach him to hit the ground instead of breaking tackles. I believe Mullen has talked about him doing that this year in an interview.

Pollodawg
04-01-2014, 08:05 PM
And what would Tyler have done under Jackie, Croom, Bellard, etc? The point is Dan can take a guy that doesn't "fit" his system and have success on offense doing so. Statistically speaking, Tyler was better than Relf who "fit". Why people want to downplay that is beyond me.

It was so "easy" to accomplish no else has done it. And now it's "well, the schedule was "easy".

Tyler barely played half the season last season- if he stays healthy last year, he completely annihilates the schools passing records.

But back to the topic- Dan will recruit and sign who he feels the best QB for MSU is. And I have confidence that Dan will make it work whatever the skill set of the recruit is.

I am not saying Tyler wasn't good. I am just saying that the historical greatest QB in MSU's history would be a mediocre QB in a lot of other places. There are several QB who could have done what TR did. Even here.

601Dawg
04-01-2014, 08:15 PM
@NickTiano: I just got my 3rd offer from Mississippi State!!! #SEC #HailState

Looks like my info was good on this one guys

dickiedawg
04-01-2014, 09:45 PM

Has a chance to be the best QB we've ever had. Love this kid's arm strength, his awareness and his intangibles. Just a great locker room guy.

(Really I know nothing about the guy. But it looks like he could get on board soon, so time to talk him up. )

Coach34
04-01-2014, 09:48 PM

but Minshew won an award at a passing camp?

Todd4State
04-01-2014, 10:52 PM
I am not saying Tyler wasn't good. I am just saying that the historical greatest QB in MSU's history would be a mediocre QB in a lot of other places. There are several QB who could have done what TR did. Even here.

That seems contradictory to me. A lot of those other QB's aren't going up against SEC defenses. Some of them are in pass happy systems. There are a lot of factors there and some are not necessarily equal.

But IMO, regardless of who it is, I don't think we should penalize a player just because everyone before him wasn't very good. Whether that's saying he's bad or mediocre of whatever you want to say.

Could Tebow and Winston and whoever put up better numbers here? Well, sure. But no one is arguing whether Tyler is as good as those guys or not. The argument is whether Dan's system can work with a pocket passer or not. And Dan did indeed make it work with Tyler. Because you don't set school records anywhere unless something is working right.

We should be happy that we have a coach for once in modern football history that can develop a QB. I know I am.

Pollodawg
04-01-2014, 11:02 PM
That seems contradictory to me. A lot of those other QB's aren't going up against SEC defenses. Some of them are in pass happy systems. There are a lot of factors there and some are not necessarily equal.

But IMO, regardless of who it is, I don't think we should penalize a player just because everyone before him wasn't very good. Whether that's saying he's bad or mediocre of whatever you want to say.

Could Tebow and Winston and whoever put up better numbers here? Well, sure. But no one is arguing whether Tyler is as good as those guys or not. The argument is whether Dan's system can work with a pocket passer or not. And Dan did indeed make it work with Tyler. Because you don't set school records anywhere unless something is working right.

We should be happy that we have a coach for once in modern football history that can develop a QB. I know I am.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. Because it wouldn't hurt my feelings if we never recruited another pocket passer. I know he set records, but that didn't really make us any better. We still lost to every decent team we played, sometimes our offense laying an ostrich sized egg. Bama, TAMU, OM, North Western-- the last of which was by and large Tyler's fault.

I just happen to think that Dan is more comfortable with a dual threat guy back there. And I hope it stays that way. Running the Relf Coast offense, we managed to beat a ranked team on the road, annihilate Michigan, beat OM at home for the first time in forever, beat UGA for the first time in forever, almost laid the wood to a top fifteen Arkansas team at home, and almost beat eventual NC Auburn at home. We never did any of that or came close with a pocket passer at the helm.

Pollodawg
04-01-2014, 11:06 PM
And here's something else: The team never responded to the finesse style of play TR brought to the table. We were built to be a grind it out, zone read/ read option offense, which is what we hired Mullen to bring here. MSU is not, and never will be, a drop back and throw it 40/50 times a game team. When the Kang was on top here, we played smash mouth offense and smothering D. When Dan was successful here, we play smash mouth offense and smothering D.

Mississippi--which is where most of our players come from as you all well know--doesn't produce athletes for, or rather the high school coaches here don't teach, the finesse air raid offenses.

engie
04-01-2014, 11:12 PM
But IMO, regardless of who it is, I don't think we should penalize a player just because everyone before him wasn't very good.

Can you not take an equal and opposite approach and say that you can't really exalt a guy that set "your" passing records -- while simultaneously being about the 55th best passing QB starting in a 126 team country?

I agree with the rest of what you are saying -- I just can't logically exalt those accomplishments given the context of TODAY. It'd be like calling Richard Lee or other gopher ball baseball players our best all-time hitters. Or calling La'Darius one of our best all-time RBs because he's second on our career all-purpose list.

My point is -- in football more than other sports -- you really can't compare across eras... especially with all the rule changes almost always favoring offense...

Todd4State
04-02-2014, 12:07 AM
And here's something else: The team never responded to the finesse style of play TR brought to the table. We were built to be a grind it out, zone read/ read option offense, which is what we hired Mullen to bring here. MSU is not, and never will be, a drop back and throw it 40/50 times a game team. When the Kang was on top here, we played smash mouth offense and smothering D. When Dan was successful here, we play smash mouth offense and smothering D.

Mississippi--which is where most of our players come from as you all well know--doesn't produce athletes for, or rather the high school coaches here don't teach, the finesse air raid offenses.

Was that because of Tyler being a pocket passer or was that because of his personality/leadership skills? That's kind of my point- let's not confuse skill set with intangibles. If Tyler had Dak's intangibles, he would have been even better than he was. I'm not saying that we should be a team that throws it 40/50 times either- but we can be successful without running the option every play. Jackie had mostly drop back passers when he was here. He just didn't develop them very well.

But as far as Mississippi, I think it's as much about population as it is coaching. You look at the past 5-6 years at the QB's that the state has produced- Tyler, Garrett, Clayton Moore, Dylan Favre, Ryan Buchanan, and now you have Minchew, Smith, and then Brady Davis at Starkville who just got offered by USM- you're seeing a good many pro style type of guys coming out of Mississippi. As you know, I watch a good bit of HS football and the bigger schools at the very least are mostly running some type of spread offense. So, maybe 10-15 years ago you didn't see those types of offenses a lot, but they're a lot more prevalent than they were. And I also think that the coaching has improved a lot over the years as far as QB goes.

But my point about population is sometimes in Mississippi you may have 3-4 D-I guys and some years there aren't any. But normally it's that way for any position.

Todd4State
04-02-2014, 12:20 AM
Can you not take an equal and opposite approach and say that you can't really exalt a guy that set "your" passing records -- while simultaneously being about the 55th best passing QB starting in a 126 team country?

I agree with the rest of what you are saying -- I just can't logically exalt those accomplishments given the context of TODAY. It'd be like calling Richard Lee or other gopher ball baseball players our best all-time hitters. Or calling La'Darius one of our best all-time RBs because he's second on our career all-purpose list.

My point is -- in football more than other sports -- you really can't compare across eras... especially with all the rule changes almost always favoring offense...

I don't think we should exalt him or anything. Personally, I don't consider him the greatest QB we've ever had or anything like that. But I also don't think you can say we were unsuccessful either or that our offense didn't work. Should we compare him to Jackie Parker? No. Could we compare him to Relf, Tyson Lee, Omarr Conner, Carroll, maybe even Madkin, Wyatt, and Fant? Sure. Compared to most of them, he was better. If the offense is not working, Tyler should have put up numbers like Carroll or someone like that.

And for whatever it's worth, I thought Perkins was a very good player and I could see considering him one of our best all-purpose backs. And probably would have been even better had Dan not tried to use him like Ballard. But in my head, I consider guys like Perkins an ATH and guys like Ballard a RB and really totally different positions.

Pollodawg
04-02-2014, 12:58 PM
I don't think we should exalt him or anything. Personally, I don't consider him the greatest QB we've ever had or anything like that. But I also don't think you can say we were unsuccessful either or that our offense didn't work. Should we compare him to Jackie Parker? No. Could we compare him to Relf, Tyson Lee, Omarr Conner, Carroll, maybe even Madkin, Wyatt, and Fant? Sure. Compared to most of them, he was better. If the offense is not working, Tyler should have put up numbers like Carroll or someone like that.

And for whatever it's worth, I thought Perkins was a very good player and I could see considering him one of our best all-purpose backs. And probably would have been even better had Dan not tried to use him like Ballard. But in my head, I consider guys like Perkins an ATH and guys like Ballard a RB and really totally different positions.

This we can agree on 100%. I wasn't really so much downing TR earlier as I was just saying that I like the DT QBs best.

Joe Schmedlap
04-02-2014, 03:17 PM
Some of Tyler's performance is directly related to his coaching and play calling while at State. The mark of a great coach IMO is to utilize players to their strengths. Despite a two year advanced notice, I'm not sure our coaching staff ever did that for Tyler and for Ladarius. Given that track record, I think it would be suboptimal for us to ever recruit another prototypical pocket passer with Dan Mullen at the helm.

Pollodawg
04-02-2014, 10:16 PM
Some of Tyler's performance is directly related to his coaching and play calling while at State. The mark of a great coach IMO is to utilize players to their strengths. Despite a two year advanced notice, I'm not sure our coaching staff ever did that for Tyler and for Ladarius. Given that track record, I think it would be suboptimal for us to ever recruit another prototypical pocket passer with Dan Mullen at the helm.

I agree with a lot of this. The pocket passer just isn't really Mullen's wheelhouse. And there's nothing wrong with running the offense that he won two nc rings at UF and took State to our best season in over a decade with.