PDA

View Full Version : How close is Mississippi State?

Big4Dawg
03-31-2014, 08:37 AM
http://coachingsearch.247sports.com/Article/2014-Mississippi-State-football-preview-185665

Article from Pete Roussel

TheRef
03-31-2014, 08:43 AM
Can someone hand me the shears? My wool is coming back strong.

MetEdDawg
03-31-2014, 08:51 AM
I think this is a really good article because honestly in the end this year, it's not going to be the talent that we don't win by I don't think. It's going to be how Mullen handles the pressure of potentially being in the situation to beat upper echelon programs at the end. We had a chance last year against LSU and that didn't work out. Had a chance against Auburn multiple times and couldn't get it done. Does he bring the confidence and leadership to the table in the 4th quarter when we need it most. If he does, we will be special.

We have to make that jump from thinking we can play with the big dogs to knowing and showing we can play with the big dogs. 3 quarters isn't enough. Got to do it for 4 and Mullen is where it starts. In practice, on the field, in the weight room, in meetings. Everyone has to buy in that we belong. I think that happens this year because I think the staff we have accumulated has the personality to deliver that message that we are finally capable of hanging for 4 quarters.

To me, this may be our best chance to take the West for a while. Not because I think we will start sucking, but because of the favorable schedule and the "rebuilding" other top teams are doing. Swing games are at home this year. Auburn, Arkansas, TAMU. Road games against Bama, LSU, and OM will be tough, but Bama changes QBs for the first time in 4 years, LSU changes QBs for the first time in 3 years, and both of these replacements coming in have extremely limited experience. LSU decimated by guys leaving early for the draft over the past two years. OM will be tough on the road especially if we are playing for something meaningful at the end of the year, but rivalry game atmosphere. This is our chance and we have to approach it like we can come out on top. Should be a fun year.

Lloyd Christmas
03-31-2014, 08:52 AM
We don't NEED to get the win in Baton Rouge...but a win there would do amazing things for our program. Media and everyone else wouldn't be able to ignore us anymore.

TrapGame
03-31-2014, 09:30 AM
We don't NEED to get the win in Baton Rouge...but a win there would do amazing things for our program. Media and everyone else wouldn't be able to ignore us anymore.

BA BA SHEEP DO YOU HAVE ANY WOOL?!! YES SIR, YES SIR THREE BAGS FULL!!!

engie
03-31-2014, 10:11 AM
Really good and balanced article, although I thought it short sold Jameon Lewis. At some point, one of these writers are going to realize that he's actually the TOP STATISTICAL RETURNING RECEIVER IN THE CONFERENCE...

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20140331-nv8s-57kb.jpg (http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/20140331-nv8s-57kb)

Johnson85
03-31-2014, 10:54 AM
At some point, one of these writers are going to realize that he's actually the TOP STATISTICAL RETURNING RECEIVER IN THE CONFERENCE...

I don't blame them for overlooking him though. I thought he improved a lot this year, but honestly, if you asked me and forbid me from checking against stats, I would say he's killer against weak competition and solid against the SEC, but would need to be your third best target at WR to have a really good passing attack.

thunderclap
03-31-2014, 11:02 AM
We lost 19 points on special teams at A&M last year. We lost 10 points on special teams in the Egg Bowl. In damn near every game, we lost points on special teams.

We are special teams close. Fix it.

smootness
03-31-2014, 11:02 AM
Not only is he top returnee, he really came on strong at the end of the year. If you took his numbers from the last several games and averaged them out for an entire year, it would be a monster year...as in something around 80+ catches, 1200 or so yards, and more TDs than he had last year.

War Machine Dawg
03-31-2014, 11:03 AM
Really good and balanced article, although I thought it short sold Jameon Lewis. At some point, one of these writers are going to realize that he's actually the TOP STATISTICAL RETURNING RECEIVER IN THE CONFERENCE...

Absolutely. Tubby was quietly one of the most dangerous players in the SEC last season. He's ridiculous.

War Machine Dawg
03-31-2014, 11:04 AM
We lost 19 points on special teams at A&M last year. We lost 10 points on special teams in the Egg Bowl. In damn near every game, we lost points on special teams.

+infinity

RougeDawg
03-31-2014, 11:30 AM
Not only is he top returnee, he really came on strong at the end of the year. If you took his numbers from the last several games and averaged them out for an entire year, it would be a monster year...as in something around 80+ catches, 1200 or so yards, and more TDs than he had last year.

Could this be any result of having a running threat at QB more times than not during the 2nd half of our season? Our WR's sure look a lot more open with Dak under center.

smootness
03-31-2014, 11:45 AM
Could this be any result of having a running threat at QB more times than not during the 2nd half of our season? Our WR's sure look a lot more open with Dak under center.

Yep. It's been repeated over and over, but everything in Mullen's system depends on the threat of the QB running. Especially in the bowl game, Lewis was running wide open over the middle of the field constantly. When the QB is keeping the LBs closer to the line and the secondary has to keep one eye in the backfield, it's a lot tougher to stick with the WRs.

HoopsDawg
03-31-2014, 11:50 AM

Yes. And *cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough* game management at the end of the first half of sc was awful.

DownwardDawg
03-31-2014, 12:37 PM

If this happens again this year, I might not make it through the season. My head will explode.

Real Deal
03-31-2014, 01:43 PM
How close are we to what? Going 9-3 (he mentioned 5-3 in the SEC) and going to a NYD bowl? I'd say fairly close, but we were close to that in 2010 and 2012. Shit, one could say we've been close to that ever since Mullen got here. But we are a long damn way from doing anything better than that, even though we are technically 'up'. When we can start looking at LSU and Alabama as something other than automatic losses, I'll start entertaining the notion that we might be close to something more.

I think the goal should be the 10-2 mark. Our potential will be maxed out if we can run the table outside of Baton Rouge and Tuscaloosa.

PassInterference
03-31-2014, 03:24 PM
We don't NEED to get the win in Baton Rouge..

Yes we do. It is high time for a big ass win in a big ass environment.

When we stop writing off Bama and LSU, we'll turn the corner as a program.

smootness
03-31-2014, 03:29 PM
How close are we to what? Going 9-3 (he mentioned 5-3 in the SEC) and going to a NYD bowl? I'd say fairly close, but we were close to that in 2010 and 2012. Shit, one could say we've been close to that ever since Mullen got here. But we are a long damn way from doing anything better than that, even though we are technically 'up'. When we can start looking at LSU and Alabama as something other than automatic losses, I'll start entertaining the notion that we might be close to something more.

I think the goal should be the 10-2 mark. Our potential will be maxed out if we can run the table outside of Baton Rouge and Tuscaloosa.

We're fairly close to 9-3 but we're a really long way from 10-2? Not sure I follow that. I agree with you on LSU and Bama, but wouldn't that be the question then - how close are we to being able to beat them?

And I'd say not too far off. It's possible this year.

Johnson85
03-31-2014, 03:39 PM

Unless there is just an odd year where our rotating east opponent is down and everybody in the west but LSU and Bama are down, being good enough to go 10-0 in our non-LSU, non-Bama games will pretty much require that we be good enough that LSU and Bama won't be automatic losses.

War Machine Dawg
03-31-2014, 03:55 PM
Unless there is just an odd year where our rotating east opponent is down and everybody in the west but LSU and Bama are down, being good enough to go 10-0 in our non-LSU, non-Bama games will pretty much require that we be good enough that LSU and Bama won't be automatic losses.

You're wasting time trying to use logic with Goat. He's immune.

Real Deal
03-31-2014, 04:03 PM
Wouldn't that be true of EVERY system, though? A dual threat QB makes every system work more effectively. So just throwing a runner out there does not make a dual threat QB. Being able to pass the ball effectively while still running is what does that. That's why our offense looked great in 2010/2011 when Chris Relf was throwing effectively and when we wasn't, well, people were calling for Russell.

Real Deal
03-31-2014, 04:05 PM
It's not possible for you to sanely debate me by yourself, so you constantly try to hop on others' bandwagons. Pathetic, pal. Hilarious how you post from some self-induced condescending point of view like you've done something, but you're simply another hot-air buffoon with seemingly zero sports experience whatsoever. You whine a lot, too. Why don't you cry about Stricklin some more while the people who matter actually see what's really happening out there.

Real Deal
03-31-2014, 04:08 PM
You mean like Kentucky and Vanderbilt (without Franklin)? Should I also be scared of Texas A&M without Manziel, Ole Miss without Moncrief and Arkansas? Auburn is at home and they won't be charmed forever.

Do you forget 2010 where we finished 8-4 and all 4 losses were to Top 10 teams?

smootness
03-31-2014, 04:16 PM
Wouldn't that be true of EVERY system, though? A dual threat QB makes every system work more effectively. So just throwing a runner out there does not make a dual threat QB. Being able to pass the ball effectively while still running is what does that. That's why our offense looked great in 2010/2011 when Chris Relf was throwing effectively and when we wasn't, well, people were calling for Russell.

What is your point here? Yes, every offense should be better if your quarterback can run and throw well. But in some offensive systems, it isn't a requirement that your QB be able to get outside the pocket and run the read option, etc. In ours, it is. So we need a dual-threat QB for our offense to look anything like it should look.

Dak Prescott can run and throw. We've seen that. So what's your point?

hacker
03-31-2014, 04:36 PM
It's not possible for you to sanely debate me by yourself, so you constantly try to hop on others' bandwagons. Pathetic, pal. Hilarious how you post from some self-induced condescending point of view like you've done something, but you're simply another hot-air buffoon with seemingly zero sports experience whatsoever. You whine a lot, too. Why don't you cry about Stricklin some more while the people who matter actually see what's really happening out there.

My god, will you please learn to quote the person you are replying to? This isn't the other board. Threaded view isn't default here.

Real Deal
03-31-2014, 04:48 PM
I think that's a deficiency if it's really the truth. We should not have to depend on a dual threat QB every single year, pounding it more than our tailbacks do. If we continue to do this, what happens when we don't have one? I just don't buy it completely. It's been pointed to over and over that Alex Smith is not what we'd consider a dual threat, and we've seen time and time again that Mullen has recruited QBs that were not true dual threats. Like I said, you always go after the best players, and true dual threats are often the best players. Obviously we always want a Cam Newton.

Real Deal
03-31-2014, 04:50 PM
Are you really attacking me because you're too stupid to use the message board?

engie
03-31-2014, 05:11 PM
It's been pointed to over and over that Alex Smith is not what we'd consider a dual threat

Yes it has... And it makes it very easy to weed out the idiots.

Alex Smith rushed for 631 yards and 10 Tds his final year at Utah. That's more rushing Tds than Chris Relf had in his CAREER at Mississippi State. And almost matched Relf's best rushing output, while averaging more yards per carry.

Just because he is a pass first guy in the pros doesn't mean he wasn't a bad ass dual threat in college...

hacker
03-31-2014, 05:19 PM
Are you really attacking me because you're too stupid to use the message board?

hahaha, have you really not noticed you're the only guy on this board who is always replying to thin air?

Coach34
03-31-2014, 05:24 PM
It's been pointed to over and over that Alex Smith is not what we'd consider a dual threat, .

Wait- what? When did we do that?

Alex Smith averaged 12 carries per game under Meyer/Mullen and rushed for over 1,000 yards in those 2 seasons. How is that not dual-threat?

Real Deal
03-31-2014, 05:34 PM
He also threw for TWO THOUSAND NINE HUNDRED FIFTY-TWO yards. 32 passing TDs. Couple that with Chris Relf's 1,789 and 13 TDs since you want to compare the two.

Now, Cam Newton, a TRUE dual threat QB, threw for 2,854 yds and ran for 1,473, more than 2.3 times Alex Smith.

Alex Smith CAN run. But he's not a runner. Look at these highlights, it's mostly passing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hghSimeHSqk

He's not running to contact. He simply making them pay when they don't respect him.

War Machine Dawg
03-31-2014, 05:35 PM

I see your mongoloid personality is back. I'm through wasting time with you, as you're too damn stupid to know when you're getting your ass kicked.

smootness
03-31-2014, 05:46 PM
He also threw for TWO THOUSAND NINE HUNDRED FIFTY-TWO yards. 32 passing TDs. Couple that with Chris Relf's 1,789 and 13 TDs since you want to compare the two.

Now, Cam Newton, a TRUE dual threat QB, threw for 2,854 yds and ran for 1,473, more than 2.3 times Alex Smith.

Alex Smith CAN run. But he's not a runner. Look at these highlights, it's mostly passing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hghSimeHSqk

He's not running to contact. He simply making them pay when they don't respect him.

So you're saying Alex Smith is a dual-threat? Uh, ok...that has already been pointed out in this thread. No, Relf was not a good passer - he was more of a single-threat than a dual-threat, but since his greatest weapon was running, he was more effective running the offense than Russell because Russell's single skill was passing, and our offense doesn't run as well if the QB can't run.

You can consider it a deficiency, but it's the truth. Pointing out that Alex Smith just makes the defense pay when they don't respect him is exactly why he is a dual-threat. Russell couldn't do that. That's why our offense struggled a lot more with Russell than with Relf.

The Broncos' offense doesn't need a dual-threat QB for it to be successful. Same with the Saints. Or Alabama. Or LSU. Ours does. But the benefit is that when you have someone who does fit the offense, like Prescott, it is incredibly hard to stop. And it can also mask certain QB's weaknesses, making the offense less dependent on having an elite talent, a la Relf.

drunkernhelldawg
03-31-2014, 06:21 PM
Fewer than ten wins in this environment of Dak for Heisman and other hype seems like it would be a big disappointment. I'm not even sure that I'll be satisfied with ten wins. We're gonna find out how tough we are. I'm thinking it's going to be fun.

drunkernhelldawg
03-31-2014, 06:23 PM
I want to see MSU play in the SEC Championship game. A NYD bowl is nice, but if we don't contend this season, I'm not sure we'll see another opportunity in the foreseeable future.

Coach34
03-31-2014, 06:33 PM

Goat- Scooba banned you and I should uphold it- but I was nice and let you back. If you cant admit Alex Smith is a true dual threat, then you need to go. Thats just being too stupid to live.

Alex Smith as a Sr outrushed LaDarius Perkins as a Sr- how is that not dual threat?

Real Deal
03-31-2014, 07:53 PM
Alex Smith as a Sr outrushed LaDarius Perkins as a Sr- how is that not dual threat?
Wait, the guy that was hurt all year and everybody wanted to bench? WOW some of you can skew stats to say anything you want them to (of course, I've been saying that all along too). What about 2012 when Perkins went for 1000 and everybody said our offense sucked against good teams? What about Ballard going for 1,200 in 2011?

Alex Smith was a Heisman finalist and 1st overall pick. He's 'mobile', but a true dual threat QB he is not.

Coach34
03-31-2014, 08:07 PM
Wait, the guy that was hurt all year and everybody wanted to bench? WOW some of you can skew stats to say anything you want them to (of course, I've been saying that all along too). What about 2012 when Perkins went for 1000 and everybody said our offense sucked against good teams? What about Ballard going for 1,200 in 2011?

Alex Smith was a Heisman finalist and 1st overall pick. He's 'mobile', but a true dual threat QB he is not.

I didnt figure you could admit it. Real Deal has now been banned permantly. Goat has 13 more days

Any QB that rushes for over 500 is a bona fide dual threat QB- hell, 350 really qualifies you. Comparing every dual threat to Cam Newton is ridiculous- he is the gold standard of dual threats. If you run the ball 8-9 time+ per game- you are a dual threat. If you rush for 350 yards+ in college football on top of sacks- you are a dual threat QB

War Machine Dawg
03-31-2014, 08:08 PM
Goat- Scooba banned you and I should uphold it- but I was nice and let you back. If you cant admit Alex Smith is a true dual threat, then you need to go. Thats just being too stupid to live.

C'mon, Coach. It's time.

smootness
03-31-2014, 09:32 PM
I'm not even sure that I'll be satisfied with ten wins.

I have no clue how to try to respond to this.

ScoobaDawg
03-31-2014, 11:26 PM
I didnt figure you could admit it. Real Deal has now been banned permantly. Goat has 13 more days

Well that gets us through SBW before he comes whining back.. Enjoy it fellas.

drunkernhelldawg
03-31-2014, 11:48 PM
I have no clue how to try to respond to this.
I
If we don't at least have a chance to win ten with a bowl win, that will mean we don't win 2 of our first three conference games, a very tough stretch with LSU, TAM and Aub. If we're going to have the special season we feel may be ours, we have to find a way to win those games. We have a certain amount of experience vs. these opponents that we may be able to turn to our advantage. I feel at this point that although we will be the underdog sometimes, we have a real chance to be the team that wins.
I would enjoy a ten win season, but I've seen us skate the edge of the promised land, an SEC title, 2 or 3 times, and I greatly enjoyed those fine seasons, but I wasn't completely satisfied. Not with losing close games to Alabama in 81 and Tennessee in 98 and then I think Alabama again in 99. Not sure I've got the years and teams right in every case but it's close to right.
Those who say we have no tradition are wrong. We are one of the oldest programs in the game. Our identity is distinct and strong. We can play some ball. If our time to touch and hold another level is ever going to come, we may need to take advantage of our talent, experience and opportunity we have this coming season.
Plus Dak will not get serious buzzz for Heisman unless we have a special season. I've got him penciled in to lead us there.

smootness
04-01-2014, 07:35 AM
All I'm saying is, if you won't be 'satisfied' with something that's happened one time in the history of our program, you probably shouldn't be a State fan.

drunkernhelldawg
04-01-2014, 08:56 AM
All I'm saying is, if you won't be 'satisfied' with something that's happened one time in the history of our program, you probably shouldn't be a State fan.

Ten wins would be great, but we've had great seasons before. I'm hoping for a season that is great and special. I'll be happy with tens wins, but I'll be satisfied with an appearance in the SEC Championship game.

It's true we've only done it once, but we've only played a twelve game schedule for a limited part of our history. I don't think we played but ten games until the late 1970's. Then it was 11 for several seasons. I don't think 12 have been going on that long. Wasn't 9 games the norm in an earlier era?

With 12 games and a bowl, 10 wins is 77 percent. I like it. Not sure I love it.

smootness
04-01-2014, 09:09 AM
With 12 games and a bowl, 10 wins is 77 percent. I like it. Not sure I love it.

Then once again, you shouldn't be a State fan.

drunkernhelldawg
04-01-2014, 09:51 AM
Then once again, you shouldn't be a State fan.

How could I not be a State fan? LOL. I think we're talking about two different things.