PDA

View Full Version : Weekend thoughts

Todd4State
03-30-2014, 11:59 PM
Our pitching has been very good even if we don't have an ace. Or what I would consider a true ace. Preston Brown has been a warrior. If we keep throwing him Fridays, I'd like to give him a shorter leash if he's not "on" and then go to Lindgren on Friday and Sunday. Keep Ross on Saturday. I'd also like to see Dakota Hudson worked in some as well. Lindgren was a bad ass this weekend. He's our new Girodo. And Holder has looked good as well.

I'm not exactly sure why we keep starting Randolph over Gavin Collins. But I suspect Zach is going to start the rest of the year and next year as well. This is going to be harsh and no one is going to agree with me on this- but Zach needs to start acting like he belongs and less like he is just happy to be there. The reason I'm saying that is in part because I do believe he belongs and he has the ability to be good. He needs to focus more on blocking balls in the dirt, not swinging at pitch outs with two strikes and less on making little kids happy before games. Harsh- yes. But not without good intent. Fire away.

We lead the SEC in fielding. Kudos to Wes, Pirtle, Britton, and Heck. We're better defensively on the infield than we were last year. Wes has to know the field conditions better- and not try to hit home runs into gale force winds. It's either going to go foul or end up in an outfielders glove. Pirtle has quietly gotten up over .300. Britton still frustrates me as a hitter. Yes, his OBP is fine BUT he needs to start hitting some. Heck needs to get hot again.

If we start Demarcus, CT, and Derrick Armstrong, we will be starting an outfield with all .300 or better hitters. Vickerson appears to be snapping out of his slump. Lot of good options and it has made losing CT easier to swallow.

Detz is doing better and he will be up around .300 by the end of the year.

I think our hitting will improve the second half of the season. The past two weeks we had to play the #2 and #3 pitching staffs in the SEC based on the current leaderboards. And we just took a series from the hottest pitching staff in the SEC. LSU is #4 as far as pitching goes currently, so we'll get them out of the way next. But because of who we played and how we have done so far- take away the 17 we hung on Vandy because that's an outlier- we're averaging about 3.4 runs a game. That includes a game where we were shut out, and if you take that one out, we're averaging four runs a game. I did all the math in my head, so if something is screwed up- don't be shocked. But if we keep scoring 3-4 runs a game, we're going to win our share of games with our pitching staff.

The game we got shut out in- we still had 10 hits. That's what happens when a team like us DOESN'T run. The reason we didn't run was because we were behind- but we have to use our speed and manufacture.

Great job by the team to take their third SEC series in a row. We need to get some sweeps and keep winning like we are if we are going to win the SEC. LSU is obviously struggling right now having been swept by Florida and they lost to their arch-rival Tulane last week as well. But we certainly can't and shouldn't take them lightly. They hate us, they hate Cohen, and they think that they are entitled to win against us in baseball. Plus, it will be on the road. But if we play our game we will be fine. We have a week off, and the last time that happened, we played like we were refreshed. Hopefully it will happen again.

messageboardsuperhero
03-31-2014, 12:42 AM
It's important to remember is that we actually hit the ball pretty well this weekend- I think we had 27 total hits against on of the SEC's best pitching staffs. That's pretty good from a batting average perspective. The thing that doomed us in the first game was that we didn't bunch those 10 hits together. We just need to get a few more doubles mixed in there to go with the singles, plus do the little things well like situational hitting and also running when we have the chance.

All in all, I think we'll have a pretty solid offense by the end of the year.

Pitching and defense were very good, as usual. Here's the crazy stat of the weekend- we had a total of 25 Ks and only 2 walks, and both of those walks came in game one. We're a really tough team to beat if our pitchers aren't giving away free bases.

MarketingBully01
03-31-2014, 12:53 AM
It's important to remember is that we actually hit the ball pretty well this weekend- I think we had 27 total hits against on of the SEC's best pitching staffs. That's pretty good from a batting average perspective. The thing that doomed us in the first game was that we didn't bunch those 10 hits together. We just need to get a few more doubles mixed in there to go with the singles, plus do the little things well like situational hitting and also running when we have the chance.

All in all, I think we'll have a pretty solid offense by the end of the year.

Pitching and defense were very good, as usual. Here's the crazy stat of the weekend- we had a total of 25 Ks and only 2 walks, and both of those walks came in game one. We're a really tough team to beat if our pitchers aren't giving away free bases.

Agreed, another thing that killed us in the first game is Arkansas made some unbelievable defensive plays. Those double plays started by their third baseman were awesome and I know for one some of those gems they made in the field kept us from scoring runs in the first game. All and all though a great series win by the Dogs!

bulldogcountry1
03-31-2014, 08:05 AM
Cohen has mostly settled on a defensive lineup, and it is the worst possible scenario from an offensive standpoint. Heck and Britton are hitting a combined .225. Heck has shown flashes of being able to hit, but he hasn't done much lately. In 3 years, Britton hasn't shown me anything to make me think he can get it done at the plate. I still thought he could bat over .200 by having a good eye and speed, but it ain't happening. Obviously, this leaves Detz to take up the DH spot and keeps us from getting Garner of Humpreys Abs. Then there's Randolph.

The Collins/Randolph thing is puzzling to me. Back about the second week when Collins and Walker started sharing the time, I honestly thought we had seen the last of Randolph. I figured Cohen game him a shot because he had the most experience, and he didn't get the job done. But, here we are 30 games into the season, and "Randy" is catching a double header. I can't see one aspect where he has an advantage over Collins. It must be that he handles the staff better at this point. To me, his lollipop throws back to the pitcher are enough to relegate him to bullpen duty, but the numbers speak for themselves. Collins has a sba % of .588, while Randy's is .941.

I don't know CT's status, but he looked ready to play yesterday. He's just the odd man out at this point. If Vickerson had continued to hit pop-ups yesterday, I would start looking for a change there, but I think he's going to correct that. If he's going to lead off, he needs to get in that "must get on base" mode.

shoeless joe
03-31-2014, 08:38 AM
Good weekend. Been a long time since we've won our first 3 SEC series. Would love nothin better than making it 4 straight but that's gonna be tough. LSU will be ready. Hopefully Cohen will take his Adidas turf shoes and stomp all over maineri's face but to be honest 1 outta 3 may be more likely.