PDA

View Full Version : What to do on Friday nights?....

maroonmania
03-30-2014, 10:41 PM
I think Preston Brown has had a great season so far but I guess I never really understood pulling Bracewell out of the Friday night role after one bad outing at GA (his only bad outing of the entire year). After Brown looked shaky this week I think I'm more for starting Bracewell with Brown ready if Bracewell has trouble than the other way around. Especially going to Baton Rouge and Brown having never started or pitched meaningful SEC innings on the road. What's the prevailing thought here?

Will James
03-30-2014, 10:43 PM
Start Preston. Go Lindgren when trouble arises.

Todd4State
03-30-2014, 11:02 PM
My prevailing thought is hope that Woodruff gets it figured out sooner than later.

MarketingBully01
03-30-2014, 11:08 PM
I think you start Brown and if he isn't locating you have a short leash and put in Bracewell. I like saving Lindgren for the Fitts starts if Fitts gets into trouble.

preachermatt83
03-30-2014, 11:15 PM
I think you start Brown and if he isn't locating you have a short leash and put in Bracewell. I like saving Lindgren for the Fitts starts if Fitts gets into trouble.
I agree with this 10000 percent! Fitts is not gonna give you the innings on avg that Preston will. I love having fitts for 3-4 on sunday with Lingo following for 3-4. I think preston is a very solid SEC guy when his stuff is on and most nights it is and then you have Bracewell to give you 3-4 good ones. I love our set up now. Preston on Fri with Bracewell following. Sat Ross with Hudson or Gentry following( if even needed), and then Fitts and Lingo on Sunday. Cant get much better than that.

messageboardsuperhero
03-30-2014, 11:15 PM
My prevailing thought is hope that Woodruff gets it figured out sooner than later.

If this happens, our pitching rotation will be a real bitch to deal with.

As it stands, P. Brown is pretty solid if he's locating. I'd be okay with either him or Bracewell this Friday.

preachermatt83
03-30-2014, 11:16 PM

yea me too but I would not hold my breath. I was standing right behind him in warmups yesterday and I kid you not he was having trouble not throwing it away in just warm up tosses.

Todd4State
03-30-2014, 11:18 PM
I'm OK with Preston for now. But asking him to go up against everyone's ace is a lot to ask.

Todd4State
03-30-2014, 11:19 PM
yea me too but I would not hold my breath. I was standing right behind him in warmups yesterday and I kid you not he was having trouble not throwing it away in just warm up tosses.

That's kind of weird. He has been better lately.

MarketingBully01
03-30-2014, 11:22 PM

That really sucks for Woodruff. I was hoping this would be his coming out party like Stratton had and he would catapult this year into a first round draft pick.

messageboardsuperhero
03-30-2014, 11:28 PM
I'm OK with Preston for now. But asking him to go up against everyone's ace is a lot to ask.

That is the problem. He'd be a good Sunday guy if Fitts didn't already have that locked down.

We have several solid starting options, but if Woodruff isn't right, we don't have a legit ace to go up against the Nola's of the SEC- other than of Mitchell. And we really need to keep Mitchell on Saturday to give our bullpen a rest between Friday and Sunday.

If Woodruff figures it out at some point this season, watch out. We'd be able to move Brown and Bracewell permanently to the pen to go along with Lindgren, Holder, Gentry (assuming he's not walking people), and Tatum (who I think can be a good left-on-left guy right now). With that bullpen and a rotation of Woodruff, Mitchell, and Fitts, that would be a GREAT pitching staff. Woodruff could be a big key down the stretch, IMO.

BeardoMSU
03-30-2014, 11:38 PM
I agree with this 10000 percent! Fitts is not gonna give you the innings on avg that Preston will. I love having fitts for 3-4 on sunday with Lingo following for 3-4. I think preston is a very solid SEC guy when his stuff is on and most nights it is and then you have Bracewell to give you 3-4 good ones. I love our set up now. Preston on Fri with Bracewell following. Sat Ross with Hudson or Gentry following( if even needed), and then Fitts and Lingo on Sunday. Cant get much better than that.

Absolutely agree, Preach. That rotation should be money!

Will James
03-30-2014, 11:51 PM
You shouldn't save a weapon like Lindgren because you don't know if you'll need him later on. Can't plan out the relievers like that.

CadaverDawg
03-31-2014, 12:02 AM
You shouldn't save a weapon like Lindgren because you don't know if you'll need him later on. Can't plan out the relievers like that.

I agree. Plus, I don't like the idea of throwing a hard throwing RHP in relief of a hard throwing RHP. That's what you get with Preston and Bracewell.

Also, to,Todd and Company, how will Woodruff get it going if he doesn't see the field again? Starting to wonder if he will have an opportunity to get back in the mix. If we are shooting for a hosting spot, we really can't risk running him out there for a start and possibly getting another one of his classic bed shittings. I'd love to see him bounce back this year...I just don't see when he would do it. What you,think, Todd?

Todd4State
03-31-2014, 12:13 AM

Well, we KNOW that Fitts is not going to normally eat up innings. So, in our case we know that we are going to need Lindgren or someone on Sunday to give us 3-4 innings every weekend. It's not a normal situation. Fitts is averaging right at five IP on the season and about 4.1 per SEC start. Lindgren threw 51 pitches today, 32 the week before and for some reason the Georgia series PC wasn't available, but Lindgren threw 3 IP.

So, if we throw Lindgren on Friday, we probably shouldn't throw him more than 1 IP. Or at the very least be careful with how we use him.

Todd4State
03-31-2014, 12:17 AM
I agree. Plus, I don't like the idea of throwing a hard throwing RHP in relief of a hard throwing RHP. That's what you get with Preston and Bracewell.

Also, to,Todd and Company, how will Woodruff get it going if he doesn't see the field again? Starting to wonder if he will have an opportunity to get back in the mix. If we are shooting for a hosting spot, we really can't risk running him out there for a start and possibly getting another one of his classic bed shittings. I'd love to see him bounce back this year...I just don't see when he would do it. What you,think, Todd?

I'd let him start against Alcorn and bring him out of the bullpen in SEC games where we are blowing someone out- like we did against Vandy. If he does well against Alcorn start him against USM and give him a short leash.

If he comes back, it's a huge bonus. But I'm not expecting it because it never seems like things like that work out for us.

Will James
03-31-2014, 12:17 AM
Well, we KNOW that Fitts is not going to normally eat up innings. So, in our case we know that we are going to need Lindgren or someone on Sunday to give us 3-4 innings every weekend. It's not a normal situation. Fitts is averaging right at five IP on the season and about 4.1 per SEC start. Lindgren threw 51 pitches today, 32 the week before and for some reason the Georgia series PC wasn't available, but Lindgren threw 3 IP.

So, if we throw Lindgren on Friday, we probably shouldn't throw him more than 1 IP. Or at the very least be careful with how we use him.

What if we use BB Friday, lose by 1 and get out to a 6-0 lead on Sunday.

Win the game today.

Todd4State
03-31-2014, 12:29 AM
What if we use BB Friday, lose by 1 and get out to a 6-0 lead on Sunday.

Win the game today.

#1- I have a lot of faith in Bracewell anyway.

#2- It's pretty clear to me that even if we get a 6 run lead, we're using a piggy back situation with Fitts and Lindgren.

#3- I'm OK with using Lindgren on Friday- as I said- BUT we need to be careful with how we use him. Or we'll risk burning him out by the postseason. I'm going by the percentages and using the stats here. The odds are Fitts isn't going deep into the game. Let's also not forget that Lindgren had some arm injury issues in high school. He's been relatively healthy for us- but he's not someone I want to play fire with.

#4- Preston has averaged 6.5 IP per start. Which leads me to.....

#5- Don't forget- we have a Holder too. If Preston goes 6, we could go Bracewell for one, then Lindgren, and then Holder. And still have everyone pretty much available for the rest of the series.

Will James
03-31-2014, 12:59 AM
I'm not sold on PB yet and would much rather have Fitts out there. Film gonna film. PB better be ready Fri night.

I seen it dawg
03-31-2014, 05:41 AM
Fitts- Lindgren on Sunday is Fitts-Girodo from last yr. Fitts is becoming one time thru the order until trouble then go to Lindgren. Those roles are becoming clear. Use Holder on Fridays and Sundays. Ross the distance on Saturdays because he is damn superman.

Saltydog
03-31-2014, 06:40 AM
nt

AlSwearengen
03-31-2014, 07:41 AM
The thing that I have noticed with Bracewell is that he will go for a month out of the bullpen pitching lights out. We think we have found a third starter and he doesn't do well once he gets the start. He is a two pitch pitcher, without Lindgren type stuff so he will usually do fine once through the order but after that, SEC hitters will start to zone in on him.

bulldogcountry1
03-31-2014, 08:13 AM
That really sucks for Woodruff. I was hoping this would be his coming out party like Stratton had and he would catapult this year into a first round draft pick.

Some guys gonna Chris Stratton. Some guys gonna Devin Jones.

MarketingBully01
03-31-2014, 08:23 AM
Some guys gonna Chris Stratton. Some guys gonna Devin Jones.

I had high hopes for him out of High School since he was drafted in the fifth round and turned it down to come to college. He faced off against Beede in the SEC tourney championship game in 2012 and did pretty well. I thought it was an omen of things to come. Of course, Beede and him have gone in completely opposite directions since that time.

MarketingBully01
03-31-2014, 08:26 AM

I thought Brown was a location guy. If we are depending on him with his fastball, we are in trouble any way. Of course this is what I had heard on the broadcast on Saturday. If I'm wrong here, it was what I heard on the radio...;)

SignalToNoise
03-31-2014, 08:32 AM

I'm late to this conversation, but at what point does the coaching staff have to cut their losses on this? Or do they just continue to give Woodruff midweek and/or relief work in hopes that the light comes on?

I'll hang up and listen.

MarketingBully01
03-31-2014, 08:36 AM

Also, pitching Bracewell with Fitts would not be the answer either. They are practically identical pitchers.

shoeless joe
03-31-2014, 09:30 AM
I'm late to this conversation, but at what point does the coaching staff have to cut their losses on this? Or do they just continue to give Woodruff midweek and/or relief work in hopes that the light comes on?

I'll hang up and listen.

Never. His stuff is too good.

Also, I could care less if he has trouble playin catch as long as he can locate pitches. Two separate things there. I've seen a ton of guys that can't hit the first baseman from short but put em on the mound with a batter and they could put it in a tea cup. Or guys that can't throw BP but in a game they're lights out.

When the lights come on and it's game time other facets don't matter. Some have it, some find it, some don't.

engie
03-31-2014, 10:15 AM

Woodruff is going to get his chance in Pearl -- where he really got it going the first time as a freshman...