PDA

View Full Version : Scotch update #1

CadaverDawg
03-30-2014, 09:45 PM
So I tried some Glenlivet today. It was really good, but I will admit that I had to water it down with several ice cubes and nurse it a bit. But for my first time ever drinking scotch, I was pumped that I was able to get a glass down.

You experienced guys will probably laugh, but I started by getting a few airplane bottles of Glenlivet for my first few days, just in case I wanted to try something different after that.

Help me out again....So you guys said that there are different "areas" of scotch to choose from. I would like to try the different styles to decide what I like best. What category would Glenlivet fall under? And what would be a good one to try next...of a different "area"?

Or would you recommend that I just stick with Glen until I acquire a taste and am getting it down easily?

Thanks for helping a rookie out.

PassInterference
03-31-2014, 06:22 AM
You need to try Glenmorangie Original.

Esmerelda Villalobos
03-31-2014, 07:58 AM
Stick with glens until you really like it. They are like the lager of scotches. The coors light if you will. Anyone can enjoy it because it isnt invassive . Once you like it, you can move on to good scotches. IPAs if you will, etc.

Id say there is about a 3% you would like any isle of islay scotch right now if you had to water down glenlivet.

Political Hack
03-31-2014, 11:42 AM
Most if not all Glenn's are highlands. I'd stick there to start. Macallan, livet, Morangie, dalwinnie (sp?), and a few more should give you a good tasting of the region.

CadaverDawg
03-31-2014, 10:53 PM
Will do. Thanks again guys

Dallas_Dawg
04-01-2014, 12:24 AM
Seems kind of odd to have to try so hard to "like" something. I don't know if it's a status thing or what but I wouldn't force my tastebuds to like anything.
Except maybe *****

PassInterference
04-01-2014, 06:47 AM
Seems kind of odd to have to try so hard to "like" something. I don't know if it's a status thing or what but I wouldn't force my tastebuds to like anything.
Except maybe *****

All humans do it. Most lose their resistance to trying new things when they are under 10 years old.

Not to sound like an ass, but its really the same thing. You have to force children to try new things that they will eventually love.

Political Hack
04-01-2014, 07:31 AM
there's so many benefits to drinking scotch versus beer or other liquor.

you don't have to drink 12. You don't need mixers. it's a "clean" buzz. it's easier to fix. it goes great with cigars. every bar has your drink. there's a resistance to guzzlingnt, which is good for several reasons.

I'm also a fan of moonshine.

Johnson85
04-01-2014, 10:49 AM
Except maybe *****

I take it you don't drink alcohol then? Because that's a taste you had to acquire.

I do agree that I wouldn't 'try' to like scotch. I think most scotch drinkers I know gravitated toward it naturally over time. I didn't love bourbon or scotch in highschool, but bourbon was ok and I thought scotch was nasty. After acquiring a taste for bourbon and water or bourbon on the rocks, I tried scotch and realized it was actually better than Bourbon. I think it happened similarly for most people. I don't know if it's just getting older or if drinking other alcohols develops a taste (or numbs tastebuds?) to where your tasts change.

Political Hack
04-01-2014, 10:53 AM
I went from Makers to Morangie. That's how I transitioned. I didn't know it then, but Morangienis aged in Makers barrels. That's why it was familiar to me and why I like it immediately. I was hooked after that.

PassInterference
04-05-2014, 06:46 AM
A buddy across the country was drinking these last night.

The Penicillin

Sam Ross, 2005

2 oz. Lightly Peated Blended Scotch Whiskey (Famous Grouse is an excellent choice)
? oz. Fresh Lemon Juice
⅜ oz. Honey Syrup (scant ? oz. This stuff is 1 part water, 3 parts honey)
⅜ oz. Sweetened Ginger Juice (scant ? oz.)
? oz. Laphroaig 10 Year Old Single Malt (or other richly peated Islay Malt)

I can't picture what any scotch cocktail would be like.

bgdog
04-05-2014, 06:14 PM
This is very similar to something that got sent to me by the local liquor store buddy when I was curious about scotch, I think it will help alot when expanding or trying to isolate the aspects of scotch you like.

http://www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk/whiskyflavourmap.htm

The first scotch I drank to try to transition is balvenie doublewood. It's fantastic and really easy to sip on if you are trying to get use to that scotch taste, part of it's maturation process is spent in an sherry cask I believe so it has a distinct flavor. I would highly recommend that.

PassInterference
04-05-2014, 11:16 PM
+1 on Balvenie Doublewood. It is damn good. It is my top choice for bang/buck.

I like some old Macallan better, but that shit is really expensive.

Dallas_Dawg
04-06-2014, 07:30 PM
I take it you don't drink alcohol then? Because that's a taste you had to acquire.

I do agree that I wouldn't 'try' to like scotch. I think most scotch drinkers I know gravitated toward it naturally over time. I didn't love bourbon or scotch in highschool, but bourbon was ok and I thought scotch was nasty. After acquiring a taste for bourbon and water or bourbon on the rocks, I tried scotch and realized it was actually better than Bourbon. I think it happened similarly for most people. I don't know if it's just getting older or if drinking other alcohols develops a taste (or numbs tastebuds?) to where your tasts change.

No, I drink plenty of alcohol and have tried many different types over the years. I just don't keep ordering drinks that I don't enjoy just to achieve a status. That was the intent of my first post on this thread.
And to add to the scotch discussion, I don't know what type it is but a cheaper brand name that I enjoy is Famous Grouse

Johnson85
04-07-2014, 08:32 AM
I can't picture what any scotch cocktail would be like.

The only scotch cocktail I've ever seen was people drinking scotch and ginger ale in england. Tried it because scotch was so much cheaper than bourbon or Tennessee whiskey over there and it was passable. Basically tasted like Jim Beam and sprite, but I had already been drinking so not sure it was really that close. Didn't see it any other bar and even at that one, it was basically only the women drinking it, and they were ugly. Not sure it was causal, but to be safe, I'd just drink it on the rocks.