PDA

View Full Version : Scouting Wes Rea

MetEdDawg
03-30-2014, 08:55 PM
Are teams just not scouting Wes Rea with runners in scoring position? It amazes me that teams still throw him fastballs when he is behind in the count with RISP. I think he's gotten a hit like a million times in that situation since last year and every single one of them has been between the 1st and 2nd base bag. His mentality in that situation is amazing and it's why he's so successful in that situation.

I just don't get it to be honest. Teams get his arms extended on something over the outer third or even off the plate and he just goes with it and sends it into RF. Just something I was thinking about as I was thinking back over the game and remembering how much he's done that over his career.

War Machine Dawg
03-30-2014, 09:00 PM
Despite popular opinion, Grizzly is a clutch hitter. He can look bad at times, but there's no one on our team I'd rather see at the plate with RISP. But if there's no RISP, he's Pedro Cerrano. "Fastball, hit very much. Curveball, bat afraid."

Todd4State
03-30-2014, 10:04 PM
Rea has come a long way over the course of his career. He's taking pitches and that's why he is getting ahead. That's forcing them to throw him strikes because most college pitchers can't throw breaking balls for strikes consistently.

I seen it dawg
03-30-2014, 10:11 PM
I agree Todd but I think he isn't aggressive enough sometimes. He needs to finds happy medium of seeing a lot of pitches and hitting the fastball aggressively early in the count.

shoeless joe
03-30-2014, 10:14 PM
When he's patient team are forced to throw him fastballs. Then they have a choice: inside to tie him up with a chance it gets left out after the plate and he cranks it OR fastball away where the best he can do is serve it to right. He has adjusted and is willing to take what the pitcher gives him.

Todd4State
03-30-2014, 10:19 PM
I agree Todd but I think he isn't aggressive enough sometimes. He needs to finds happy medium of seeing a lot of pitches and hitting the fastball aggressively early in the count.

He's still a work in progress. My biggest beef is him not protecting the plate at times. I really think he doesn't "see" that pitch because every time he takes it and strikes out, he gets pissed off at the umpire. I think that Wes thinks it's a ball, but it's not.

I seen it dawg
03-31-2014, 05:37 AM
Valid point as well. I don't think he's ready to leave for the pro game. I think he should stay another yr because he needs to develop as a hitter more.

Saltydog
03-31-2014, 06:43 AM
nt

bulldogcountry1
03-31-2014, 07:23 AM
Rea always comes through in the most important of moments. It's just that he doesn't have enough quality at-bats otherwise. It's as if he goes up there looking for a walk too often and takes the best pitches he's going to see.

thedawg
03-31-2014, 07:29 AM
I am a huge Wes Rea fan... I was discussing him and whether or not he was gonna come back with some buddies... At the beginning of the conversation I didnt think there was any way he would come back and my buddy made a fantastic point... He said, " I love him to death but he cant play for the Red Sox... Hes not even close to that. So if he wants to ride buses all over the country to make peanuts for baseball he will have that opportunity or he can come back here and be the starting first basemen for the best college program in the country." That really struck me.. Hes not even close to a major league player right now. Im not even sure he projects at much more than a long shot right now. Why go? Also with the new balls and another year of improvement maybe he does hit 15 bombs next year and make a few more peanuts to play minor league ball...

archdog
03-31-2014, 08:32 AM
Are teams just not scouting Wes Rea with runners in scoring position? It amazes me that teams still throw him fastballs when he is behind in the count with RISP. I think he's gotten a hit like a million times in that situation since last year and every single one of them has been between the 1st and 2nd base bag. His mentality in that situation is amazing and it's why he's so successful in that situation.

I just don't get it to be honest. Teams get his arms extended on something over the outer third or even off the plate and he just goes with it and sends it into RF. Just something I was thinking about as I was thinking back over the game and remembering how much he's done that over his career.

Well thanks for pointing it out. Bet LSU throws him curve after curve now.