PDA

View Full Version : Well Minshew did it AGAIN

whosyourdawgy
03-30-2014, 03:14 PM
His tweet

@GardnerMinshew9: QB MVP at today's Nike football training camp. Been a great spring of camps but I'm trying to get? http://t.co/e6xidpWHA5

So that's
QB MVP at Rivals B'ham
Most accurate at Elite11
MVP Nike training camp

Impressive spring for any qb prospect.

Coach34
03-30-2014, 04:22 PM
Wonder how often they ran the zone read at that camp?

DownwardDawg
03-30-2014, 04:28 PM
His tweet

@GardnerMinshew9: QB MVP at today's Nike football training camp. Been a great spring of camps but I'm trying to get? http://t.co/e6xidpWHA5

So that's
QB MVP at Rivals B'ham
Most accurate at Rivals
MVP Nike training camp

Impressive spring for any qb prospect.

So what's he trying to get?

whosyourdawgy
03-30-2014, 04:47 PM
Invite to Elite11 camp I think

Political Hack
03-30-2014, 04:59 PM
he's a winner. if his arm strength checks out, we'd be dumb not to offer. the kid can flat out play and he's as good of a runner as any QB in MS that shouldn't be considered an Ath first.

hailmari
03-30-2014, 05:45 PM
As long as he's not stone-footed, we can make something work out.

Coach34
03-30-2014, 05:50 PM
If we sign a kid that cant get to 300 yards rushing in a High School season to play QB- then Mullen is an idiot. AJ McCarron and Zack Mettenberger are headed to the NFL- but they would have looked like dogshit playing for us.

War Machine Dawg
03-30-2014, 06:05 PM
He'll have a helluva career at USM.

War Machine Dawg
03-30-2014, 06:07 PM
If we sign a kid that cant get to 300 yards rushing in a High School season to play QB- then Mullen is an idiot. AJ McCarron and Zack Mettenberger are headed to the NFL- but they would have looked like dogshit playing for us.

Exactly. Don't understand why Hack and others can't understand we literally JUST FINISHED the pocket QB experiment with TR and it was a ****ing disaster. Yet they're ready to try it aGAIN after the shit show that was our offense with TR? *facepalm*

Coach34
03-30-2014, 06:10 PM
Exactly. Don't understand why Hack and others can't understand we literally JUST FINISHED the pocket QB experiment with TR and it was a ****ing disaster. Yet they're ready to try it aGAIN after the shit show that was our offense with TR? *facepalm*

Not only that- Tyler Russell had double the rushing yards Minshew has in the SAME HS league

War Machine Dawg
03-30-2014, 06:12 PM
Not only that- Tyler Russell had double the rushing yards Minshew has in the SAME HS league

I suspected TR had more rushing yards than Minshew, but was too lazy to look it up. Thus why we had to listen to the BS about how TR could be a serviceable runner, when it was clear he was a statue.

Coach34
03-30-2014, 06:16 PM
I suspected TR had more rushing yards than Minshew, but was too lazy to look it up. Thus why we had to listen to the BS about how TR could be a serviceable runner, when it was clear he was a statue.

Russell rushed for almost the same number of yards as a Sr that Minshew has in his entire HS career to this point

mic
03-30-2014, 06:18 PM
QB is the LAST thing we should be worried about with the 2015 class. When is the last time we could say that. If we sign Minshew that's fine if we don't that's fine too..

Bully13
03-30-2014, 06:21 PM
I'll leave it up to Mullen and Co. and ignore the message board heroes.

ShotgunDawg
03-30-2014, 06:22 PM
Why do we praise our coaching staff for their talent evaluation skills, and then say that they are dumb unless they offer a certain player?

The key to exceptional talent evaluation is the ability to walk away from a good player that doesn't fit. It takes more discipline than most people have.

Coach34
03-30-2014, 06:30 PM
Why do we praise our coaching staff for their talent evaluation skills, and then say that they are dumb unless they offer a certain player?

The key to exceptional talent evaluation is the ability to walk away from a good player that doesn't fit. It takes more discipline than most people have.

I agree with that...and also notice that we havent offered Minshew

MetEdDawg
03-30-2014, 06:31 PM
There is a reason certain schools stay good year in and year out. They recruit their system every single year regardless of the talent in their recruiting area. I don't care if the number 1 pocket passing QB in the world was from Starkville. If it's not a good fit for the personnel we have and the system we have to run to be successful, then we have to be able to walk away saying we don't think that person will fit our system.

We need to recruit running QBs, multiple RBs that all have various talents, big tall WRs on the outside that can block with smaller slot guys that have speed, and OL that are quick who set edges quickly but also have the ability to pass block. This is what we need to recruit because the system we run depends on these things being in place. The minute you sell your soul for talent that doesn't fit your system you completely undermine what you are building.

There have been very few guys that have failed in our system on offense and defense because we continue to recruit within our system and put guys in positions that we know they will succeed. When Mullen got here, he didn't have a choice but to get Russell. We needed him and he helped us win games. But now we can be more selective because our system is in place and we know exactly what that system needs to run efficiently. It's not a coincidence we will have 4 dual threat QBs on the roster for next year. It's not a coincidence that we have a handful of guys that are 6'4" or taller at WR/TE and a handful of guys that are 6' or smaller at WR. That's the system and it's what we need to be successful.

We are good enough and far enough along now in Mullen's tenure that we can walk away from good players that don't fit our system. A few years ago I don't think we could. Now we can because we've built the depth and built the talent and shown that we can put guys in positions to succeed. Now we just have to put it all together on the field and show what we've been working towards.

whosyourdawgy
03-30-2014, 06:33 PM
I'm not saying we will or even should sign Minshew. I just posted this because the kid is showing out at all the regional camps this spring He's a helluva talented and hard working kid that has made himself in to a solid qb prospect. Name me another MS qb prospect who has come close to doing what he has done these last few weeks.......that's right.

He may not be a fit for our program but he is going to get some good offers before his senior season is done. And like I've said in past threads I would hate for one of the best qb prospects in a long long time in the state of MS to go to another school and blow up. But if he doesn't become a Bulldog, I hope that is exactly what happens

War Machine Dawg
03-30-2014, 06:43 PM
There is a reason certain schools stay good year in and year out. They recruit their system every single year regardless of the talent in their recruiting area. I don't care if the number 1 pocket passing QB in the world was from Starkville. If it's not a good fit for the personnel we have and the system we have to run to be successful, then we have to be able to walk away saying we don't think that person will fit our system.

We need to recruit running QBs, multiple RBs that all have various talents, big tall WRs on the outside that can block with smaller slot guys that have speed, and OL that are quick who set edges quickly but also have the ability to pass block. This is what we need to recruit because the system we run depends on these things being in place. The minute you sell your soul for talent that doesn't fit your system you completely undermine what you are building.

There have been very few guys that have failed in our system on offense and defense because we continue to recruit within our system and put guys in positions that we know they will succeed. When Mullen got here, he didn't have a choice but to get Russell. We needed him and he helped us win games. But now we can be more selective because our system is in place and we know exactly what that system needs to run efficiently. It's not a coincidence we will have 4 dual threat QBs on the roster for next year. It's not a coincidence that we have a handful of guys that are 6'4" or taller at WR/TE and a handful of guys that are 6' or smaller at WR. That's the system and it's what we need to be successful.

We are good enough and far enough along now in Mullen's tenure that we can walk away from good players that don't fit our system. A few years ago I don't think we could. Now we can because we've built the depth and built the talent and shown that we can put guys in positions to succeed. Now we just have to put it all together on the field and show what we've been working towards.

Spot on. Best post on this board in a long time.

Coach34
03-30-2014, 06:44 PM

yep. Outstanding post

justwin
03-30-2014, 08:45 PM
small edit

If we sign a kid that cant get to 300 yards rushing in a High School season to play QB- then Mullen is an idiot. AJ McCarron and Zack Mettenberger are headed to the NFL- but they would have looked like dogshit playing for us "if they paired them with Ladarius Perkins full-time for 2 seasons".

justwin
03-30-2014, 08:46 PM
We were good enough to win 10 Tyler's JR year with any semblance of bigger RBs.

Exactly. Don't understand why Hack and others can't understand we literally JUST FINISHED the pocket QB experiment with TR "& small undersized scat back full-time" and it was a ****ing disaster. Yet they're ready to try it aGAIN after the shit show that was our offense with TR - "shitshow was the improper use of the bigger RBs"? *facepalm*

Coach34
03-30-2014, 08:53 PM

win 10 what?

We went 8-5 and got crushed by the back half of our schedule

War Machine Dawg
03-30-2014, 08:53 PM

Stop putting words in our mouth. You're trying to redirect the argument from recruiting to coaching decisions, mostly because you're getting your ass kicked on the recruiting point. The fact remains, our offense looked like dog shit and struggled to score with a pocket passer as our QB. There's a reason we became one of the better offenses in the league when Dak took over, and it wasn't his passing. It was his mobility. He opened up the full playbook, something TR couldn't do. And we improved with that "scatback" as our primary RB, in case you want to try trotting out that red herring aGAIN.

Political Hack
03-30-2014, 08:54 PM
Dak had a terrible TD to INT ratio so we should move him to RB.***

People that put numbers over tape aren't scouts for a reason. If it were as easy as pulling numbers, coaches wouldn't look at film. The kid can run.

War Machine Dawg
03-30-2014, 08:57 PM

People that put numbers over tape aren't scouts for a reason. If it were as easy as pulling numbers, coaches wouldn't look at film. The kid can run.

You also told us Russell could run. There's a reason you aren't a scout, too.

justwin
03-30-2014, 08:59 PM
To me, I would say Mullen's offensive system works best when the big RB is utilized exclusively and complemented by a mobile QB whose capable of completing passes. We've seen various extremes in 5 years with varying deficiencies, but year 6 where the real MSU offensive identify is born. Then, agree with a scatback & several big WRs like you mention as supporting cast. The closest we had to running on full cylinders was Vick's first year. I think we're going to see a more crisp version of that offense this year with the JRob & Dak combo this year. I also agree with the other poster that the 2015 QB shouldn't be as important based on the 4 we'll have this year. More importantly, I think the big jump in the MSU offense over the next 4 years is b/c we're basically set at RB with JRob, Shump, Williams & Lee all of which are big, can catch, FALL FORWARD, and can score.

justwin
03-30-2014, 09:01 PM
Northwestern & Ole Miss with big RBs is 10 wins.

win 10 what?

We went 8-5 and got crushed by the back half of our schedule

Coach34
03-30-2014, 09:04 PM

I've seen both...DO...NOT...WANT

If the kid could run, his coaches would make it part of their offense. Having a QB that is a running threat makes your offense dangerous- especially in HS. To this point- Minshew has not been a running threat. Arguing that point is lunacy- he averages 2-3 carries per game and one of those is probably a sack. So it leads me to believe his coaches dont think he brings enough value as a runner to install it into their offense.

He needs to go to Conference USA or Sun Belt and have a good career- he is not an SEC dual-threat guy in any shape or form

Coach34
03-30-2014, 09:06 PM

no they werent. JRob ran for 100 yards vs NW. We lost because Russell threw 4 picks, not the RB's. Perkins was not Russell's problem- Russell was Russell's problem

justwin
03-30-2014, 09:07 PM
In terms of recruiting and this particular point & comparison of Russell vs Minshew's running ability is silly. Tyler Russell could not and should not ever run, but our coaches kept trying to run him when they had legit RBs who should've done the rushing. it's that simple. Minshew is not Tyler Russell and he's not Dak in terms of running. He is somewhere in between just like Damien Williams. Perkins didn't help much with Dak either. JRob did.

Stop comparing Tyler Russell to Minshew. Not the same player. Minshew is mobile enough for our system b/c of the RBs that are on the roster.

Stop putting words in our mouth. You're trying to redirect the argument from recruiting to coaching decisions, mostly because you're getting your ass kicked on the recruiting point. The fact remains, our offense looked like dog shit and struggled to score with a pocket passer as our QB. There's a reason we became one of the better offenses in the league when Dak took over, and it wasn't his passing. It was his mobility. He opened up the full playbook, something TR couldn't do. And we improved with that "scatback" as our primary RB, in case you want to try trotting out that red herring aGAIN.

War Machine Dawg

Mississippi stomped a mudhole in our ass and walked it dry. Moncrief made Nickoe his bitch that night, so all the "big RBs" in the world wouldn't have mattered.

Northwestern won because our pocket passer QB threw 4 INTs and Mullen wouldn't put his ass on the bench (allegedly leading to Brewster leaving). Once aGAIN, how the **** do "big RBs" solve that?

justwin
What was Perk's stats those two games?

no they werent. JRob ran for 100 yards vs NW. We lost because Russell threw 4 picks, not the RB's. Perkins was not Russell's problem- Russell was Russell's problem

War Machine Dawg
03-30-2014, 09:09 PM

If the kid could run, his coaches would make it part of their offense. Having a QB that is a running threat makes your offense dangerous- especially in HS. To this point- Minshew has not been a running threat. Arguing that point is lunacy- he averages 2-3 carries per game and one of those is probably a sack. So it leads me to believe his coaches dont think he brings enough value as a runner to install it into their offense.

He needs to go to Conference USA or Sun Belt and have a good career- he is not an SEC dual-threat guy in any shape or form

+infinity

justwin
03-30-2014, 09:11 PM
just googled for you. vs OM 16 for 45 & 19 for 84. So, you don't think that JRob getting half of those carries equates to a few TDs and a more balanced offense?

What was Perk's stats those two games?

MetEdDawg
03-30-2014, 09:20 PM

It still baffles me that people argue against this point. Why do some of our fans still believe that we work best, or would even need to have a pocket passer on our roster? If they don't run in high school, why would we run our offense with that? Why would we try to change our offense to that? If Dak goes down, what the hell good does a talented pocket passer bring to the table in the offense we installed that's fit for Dak? That's why Staley, Damian, and Fitz are on the roster. If Dak goes down, the offense has no changes for any of those guys. Commit to a style and stick with it. Don't force talent. Bring in what works and learn from the past. We learned that a pocket passer has a ceiling in Mullen's offense. Why try and reinvent Mullen's offense when we've seen that it works best with a guy like Dak and Relf at the helm?

Acid mouth
03-30-2014, 09:21 PM
I'll leave it up to Mullen and Co. and ignore the message board heroes.

Winner

scottycameron
03-30-2014, 09:26 PM

solid ass post.

Political Hack
03-30-2014, 09:26 PM
if Bret Favre could pass, his dad would've made it part of his offense.***

Coach34
03-30-2014, 09:27 PM
Damien Williams rushed for 1,000 yards in his HS career. Minshew is slightly over 300

I don't know where this running comparison between those 2 started- but it ain't a valid one

Coach34
03-30-2014, 09:29 PM

he played HS ball 26 years ago. In Mississippi. That comment is just turrible

ShotgunDawg
03-30-2014, 09:48 PM

So... your willing to bet the future of the program on the one exception in the past 30 years? OK

Todd4State
03-30-2014, 10:00 PM
Well, for arguments sake Austin Davis went unnoticed because his coach ran the wishbone or something where he didn't throw and he ended up at USM and is now in the NFL.

I do like how Tyler "didn't work"- and yet he set multiple passing records for us, led us to a Gator Bowl and ended up be benched his senior year because of injury.

engie
03-30-2014, 10:38 PM
I do like how Tyler "didn't work"- and yet he set multiple passing records for us, led us to a Gator Bowl and ended up be benched his senior year because of injury.

Let's give Dak a whole year as starter before we exalt ANY "MSU records". Those records ring pretty hollow given that 2012 was the worst overall offense we've had overall under Mullen IMO -- in what was by far the easiest schedule. If you simply extended Dak's stats from last year over the course of a whole season, most of those passing records go down... and certainly the TDs and total offense records...

Minshew to Brett Favre or Austin Davis are situations that absolutely couldn't be more different. We know all about wishbone QBs -- we just signed one from Georgia that was overlooked by everybody just last year.

Todd4State
03-30-2014, 11:00 PM
Let's give Dak a whole year as starter before we exalt ANY "MSU records". Those records ring pretty hollow given that 2012 was the worst overall offense we've had overall under Mullen IMO -- in what was by far the easiest schedule. If you simply extended Dak's stats from last year over the course of a whole season, most of those passing records go down... and certainly the TDs and total offense records...

Minshew to Brett Favre or Austin Davis are situations that absolutely couldn't be more different. We know all about wishbone QBs -- we just signed one from Georgia that was overlooked by everybody just last year.

I think Dak will break those records too as long as he stays healthy. So, using foresight statistically speaking Tyler being our second best QB in school history still is hardly what I would consider unsuccessful. And let's not forget that some of Tyler's career stats were put up in 2011 and even this past year as well. Russell also played pretty well in a key game against Arkansas and was about to lead us to victory until he got knocked out of the game and had his career end.

We'll never know, but had Tyler stayed healthy, I suspect he would have played better than Damian Williams did, probably wins the Egg Bowl and he's looked at a lot differently by our fans.