PDA

View Full Version : Ross Mitchell is going to be the best State pitcher in history

Coach34
03-29-2014, 07:31 PM
he really is....but he does have the advantage of playing in the Dead Bat Era

But he is totally dominant out there

Esmerelda Villalobos
03-29-2014, 07:37 PM
Sec history sir

Dawg61
03-29-2014, 07:38 PM
Think he's already accomplished that feat. Hope he keeps it up. Ross Mitchell is a gift from the baseball gods. Can we pay him to teach two lefties his magic every single season? It'd be money well spent.

Saltydog
03-29-2014, 07:45 PM
drafted very high.

MSUDawg4Life
03-29-2014, 07:51 PM
Best State pitcher in history? He's already accomplished that? How did you all reach those determinations?

Coach34
03-29-2014, 07:53 PM
Best State pitcher in history? He's already accomplished that? How did you all reach those determinations?

Well, he has the best record and lowest ERA for a pitcher in State history that has pitched major innings

Dawg61
03-29-2014, 07:55 PM

See two weeks ago thread. We did this already.

MSUDawg4Life
03-29-2014, 08:20 PM
Hmmm.

It's still debatable whether he's the best State pitcher in history. Looking at the all-time MSU pitching statistics, you see a lot of Jeff Brantley, Bobby Reed, Eric Dubose and even Jonathan Holder. Not to take anything away from Ross Mitchell. His accomplishments speak for themselves. We've just had a lot of good pitchers come through here who could arguably lay claim to that title.

Coach34
03-29-2014, 08:28 PM
Hmmm.

It's still debatable whether he's the best State pitcher in history. Looking at the all-time MSU pitching statistics, you see a lot of Jeff Brantley, Bobby Reed, Eric Dubose and even Jonathan Holder. Not to take anything away from Ross Mitchell. His accomplishments speak for themselves. We've just had a lot of good pitchers come through here who could arguably lay claim to that title.

No

We have never had a non-closer approach 2.00 for his career....Mitchell is about 1.60 right now...he has what? 1 loss in his career? He's a freaking Jr

He is 21-1 for his career with about a 1.60 ERA

Coach34
03-29-2014, 08:39 PM
In the aluminum bat Era- no frontline pitcher is close to 2.00 for his career...Mitchell is around 1.55-1.60

That is amazing. You have to go back to the 1960's to the wood bats and when baseball was an afterthought in college to find those kinds of stats

Esmerelda Villalobos
03-29-2014, 08:48 PM
Best pitcher in college baseball history. He is lucky he is so lucky. I know wills chart only says he is our 8th best pitcher

Will James
03-29-2014, 08:56 PM
Best pitcher in college baseball history. He is lucky he is so lucky. I know wills chart only says he is our 8th best pitcher

You're an idiot. Keep misrepresenting fool.

Esmerelda Villalobos
03-29-2014, 09:58 PM
Ok pal. Renfroe is clutch and lingo gonna lingo

Will James
03-29-2014, 10:17 PM

When you began the unclutch Renfroe meme he had a .739 OBP and .500 BA with RISP. He was averaging 1.7 RBI per AT BAT w RISP when you said he wasn't clutch.

Lindgren is averaging 2 K's per inning.

Will James
03-29-2014, 10:29 PM
I actually agree with Will somewhat on this. What he's saying (in a strange way of saying it), is that Ross is a contact pitcher. You don't typically bring in a contact pitcher with RISP and less than 2 outs......you typically bring in a strike out guy to get you out of the inning, and THEN bring in a guy like Ross that gets tons of contact outs and eats innings.

Everyone that is trying to make it out like Will is saying "Ross sucks", are doing it on purpose bc you know that's not what he's saying.

who said Ross Mitchell sux? Will James didnt....

Will actually has a very valid point there. More than 50% of the time- Mitchell allowed inherited runners to score. For a reliever, that's not good. It doesnt make a mother-**** what his ERA is. You bring relievers in to shut the door- not just give up inherited runs.

You were correct that Ross Mitchell is not the best option out of the pen with runners on base.

I think you guys now see Will's point better, and that he is indeed correct- and he understands he can come off looking like a dick

nm

Coach34
03-29-2014, 10:36 PM
Mitchell is showing now what role he should have been in all along...he pitches to contact, but its usually weak contact. And he is clearly becoming the best pitcher we have had in the aluminum bat Era

MarketingBully01
03-29-2014, 10:40 PM
The thing I like the most about. Mitchell is he never gets rattled and he always pitches within himself. Meaning he never overthrows. He is fun to watch work.

I seen it dawg
03-29-2014, 10:52 PM

And Vandy doesn't lose on Friday nights.......

Esmerelda Villalobos
03-29-2014, 10:52 PM
When you began the unclutch Renfroe meme he had a .739 OBP and .500 BA with RISP. He was averaging 1.7 RBI per AT BAT w RISP when you said he wasn't clutch.

Lindgren is averaging 2 K's per inning.

How did he finish?

Dawg61
03-29-2014, 10:56 PM
The thing I like the most about. Mitchell is he never gets rattled and he always pitches within himself. Meaning he never overthrows. He is fun to watch work.

I'm almost tempted to suggest we pitch Ross in every single game in the post season as the starter just like softball does. He puts zero stress on his arm. Would be hilarious to win the NC that way. It'd get talked about for foreverrrrrrrr.

MarketingBully01
03-29-2014, 11:01 PM
I'm almost tempted to suggest we pitch Ross in every single game in the post season as the starter just like softball does. He puts zero stress on his arm. Would be hilarious to win the NC that way. It'd get talked about for foreverrrrrrrr.

Did he even get to 100 pitches today? That has to be one of the most efficient outings in a while as far as pitch count.

CadaverDawg
03-29-2014, 11:02 PM
Did he even get to 100 pitches today? That has to be one of the most efficient outings in a while as far as pitch count.

No, I think he finished around 95.

Schultzy
03-29-2014, 11:05 PM
Getting blasted in the Friday night opener at Georgia forcing us to put Ross Mitchell in a starting role early in the conference season may be the difference in us staying at home and making a regional this year.

MarketingBully01
03-29-2014, 11:07 PM

LOL, that is bad ass! A complete game and not even reaches 100 pitches. If he doesn't get SEC pitcher of the week honors, it would be a shame.

Dawg61
03-29-2014, 11:07 PM

More evidence that Operation Ross Mitchell should be put in effect for this post season. Have him pitch the first 6 innings of EVERY game. We'll win the NC if we do this. Haha

MarketingBully01
03-29-2014, 11:08 PM
Getting blasted in the Friday night opener at Georgia forcing us to put Ross Mitchell in a starting role early in the conference season may be the difference in us staying at home and making a regional this year.

I'd go a step further and say hosting a regional or sitting at home.

Todd4State
03-29-2014, 11:24 PM

Waaaaayyy ahead of ourselves, but for the sake of discussion- the way Omaha is set up, you can get through it with two pitchers IF you stay in the winner's bracket. They spread the schedule out for ESPN.

Schultzy
03-29-2014, 11:31 PM
I'd go a step further and say hosting a regional or sitting at home.

I haven't given up on hosting yet but with the way Cohen coached teams play late in the season I'd take a 2 seed on the road right now if given the chance, thinking we'd have as good a chance as any of winning it.

Dawg61
03-29-2014, 11:33 PM
Waaaaayyy ahead of ourselves, but for the sake of discussion- the way Omaha is set up, you can get through it with two pitchers IF you stay in the winner's bracket. They spread the schedule out for ESPN.

I really think Ross deserves the shot. He can get through 6 innings like a hot knife cutting through butter. Maybe try him for 6 in back to back games and every third game pitch the 2nd guy. Idk but I think Ross is a very non-traditional GIFT that we've been given and the unthinkable becomes very possible with him. The catcher puts more stress on his arm throwing it back to Ross after every pitch than Ross does actually pitching it. Seriously. He's like the singer Sting of pitching. He can go 24 straight hours.

Political Hack
03-30-2014, 07:18 AM
Ross and Holder are going to have to pitch A LOT for us to be successful in the post season.

Saltydog
03-30-2014, 07:45 AM
the sense that when he toes the rubber he's isn't going to strike out a lot of batters with a 95 mph fastball or throw a no hitter. He's not dominant in that sense but then neither was Greg Maddux.

SheltonChoked
03-30-2014, 11:54 AM
He's not even the best Mitchell at MSU. Read Cleveland's article on Willie Mitchell. I don't care that it was the dead ball era. He struck out 26 batters. In one game. At LSU.

So if you count just the modern era, ok. But not the best ever.

Dawg61
03-30-2014, 02:34 PM
He's not even the best Mitchell at MSU. Read Cleveland's article on Willie Mitchell. I don't care that it was the dead ball era. He struck out 26 batters. In one game. At LSU.

So if you count just the modern era, ok. But not the best ever.

Kerry Wood struck out 20 in a MLB game. Does that make him tied with Roger Clemens for the best pitcher ever?

SheltonChoked
03-31-2014, 07:00 AM
Willie Mitchell went 6-1. Pitches 56 innings struck out 97. Went to aa ball that summer. Struck out 20. Finished the year in the majors. I'm not sure what you are getting at with your comparison, but all of the other 20+ strikeout games in baseball every year backs up your argument. ***

Wood is not as good as Clemons due to longevity. And allegedly Clemons had help with his longevity.

Dawg61
03-31-2014, 08:05 AM
Willie Mitchell went 6-1. Pitches 56 innings struck out 97. Went to aa ball that summer. Struck out 20. Finished the year in the majors. I'm not sure what you are getting at with your comparison, but all of the other 20+ strikeout games in baseball every year backs up your argument. ***

Wood is not as good as Clemons due to longevity. And allegedly Clemons had help with his longevity.

My point is that Willie Mitchell isn't better than Ross Mitchell.

Saltydog
03-31-2014, 08:06 AM
Wonder if he's one of those guys that has trouble throwing it back to the pitcher so he therefore lobs it. I've seen guys before who would just work a pitcher to death.