PDA

View Full Version : Matt Wyatt has a point.

TheDogFather
03-29-2014, 09:51 AM
Hotty Toddy is just plain stupid.

https://twitter.com/maroonwyatt/status/449917183158935552

rrog17
03-29-2014, 10:00 AM
Not intimidating at all. I like to compare it to a nursery rhyme.

DownwardDawg
03-29-2014, 10:14 AM
I laugh at it. I think it's pretty funny.

DawgHouseUnited
03-29-2014, 10:20 AM
Not really much of a battle cry, it's more like a drinking chant. Which actually fits in at the grove...

PassInterference
03-29-2014, 10:28 AM
Hotty Toddy is the verbal equivalent of those two muppets that were up for vote to be their mascot.

chef dixon
03-29-2014, 10:42 AM
I'm not the biggest fan of "Hail State." It lacks tradition, creativity, and it just doesn't sound right when said. I'm pretty sure no one ever said it while I was at state.

TheDogFather
03-29-2014, 10:50 AM
I wish that option would have been chosen for their mascot.

HOTTY AND TODDY
Nothing says Ole Miss like these two words? ?Hotty Toddy.? They embrace the culture at Ole Miss like nothing else. Southern charm, hospitality, pride, tradition? ?Hotty Toddy? means all of that and more. Among the Ole Miss family, these words have become a familiar greeting, a way of connecting with others through a shared love of Ole Miss. University historians have searched for the origins of these words and the familiar cheer for years to no avail, but they are as much a part of Ole Miss as the Grove or the Lyceum. This mascot concept would bring those words, and the emotions connected to those words, alive in a pair of lovable characters. The pair may be animals or original ?muppet-like? characters, but completely unique to Ole Miss. They can get as spirited and excited as any Rebel fan, and they love to pump up the crowd. And once we win the game, they will gladly be gracious hosts, inviting the other team to come back for more!

TheRef
03-29-2014, 10:53 AM
I wish that option would have been chosen for their mascot.

HOTTY AND TODDY
Nothing says Ole Miss like these two words? ?Hotty Toddy.? They embrace the culture at Ole Miss like nothing else. Southern charm, hospitality, pride, tradition? ?Hotty Toddy? means all of that and more. Among the Ole Miss family, these words have become a familiar greeting, a way of connecting with others through a shared love of Ole Miss. University historians have searched for the origins of these words and the familiar cheer for years to no avail, but they are as much a part of Ole Miss as the Grove or the Lyceum. This mascot concept would bring those words, and the emotions connected to those words, alive in a pair of lovable characters. The pair may be animals or original ?muppet-like? characters, but completely unique to Ole Miss. They can get as spirited and excited as any Rebel fan, and they love to pump up the crowd. And once we win the game, they will gladly be gracious hosts, inviting the other team to come back for more!

The best part of that is the lie that they can't find the origin of those words. It's a freaking alcoholic drink.

DawgHouseUnited
03-29-2014, 11:02 AM
The best part of that is the lie that they can't find the origin of those words. It's a freaking alcoholic drink.

Thirty seconds on google answered the question.

hacker
03-29-2014, 11:05 AM
I'm not the biggest fan of "Hail State." It lacks tradition, creativity, and it just doesn't sound right when said. I'm pretty sure no one ever said it while I was at state.

"Hail State" is a fight song for Mississippi State University. The words and music were written by Joseph Burleson Peavey in 1939.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hail_State

preachermatt83
03-29-2014, 11:23 AM

Dude "hailstate" is the fight song and has been for nearly 80 yrs

preachermatt83
03-29-2014, 11:24 AM
"Hail State" is a fight song for Mississippi State University. The words and music were written by Joseph Burleson Peavey in 1939.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hail_State

My bad hack. Didn't read all the way down. But anyway.. ^this

BossDawg
03-29-2014, 04:48 PM
It makes me think that they're worshiping some legendary frat dude they called "Hot Todd".

aerodawg
03-30-2014, 02:57 AM
Dude "hailstate" is the fight song and has been for nearly 80 yrs

I am sure he knows that. I can see where he is coming from. Literally nobody said Hailstate as a greeting or whatever before the past few years. Yes it has been the fight song for a long time. I remember walking around Disney World back in 2010 and seeing tons of State fans, it was during the SEC basketball tourney and not one said "Hailstate", it was either "Go State" or "Go Dogs." I am not saying it is bad or anything, just that it takes those of us that didn't just start school here in the last 3-4 years a little longer to adjust to something like that. It sounds weird when I say it, kinda like I'm forcing it.

Political Hack
03-30-2014, 07:01 AM

they don't know what "Ole Miss" means either.***

TheDogFather
03-30-2014, 07:56 AM
I am sure he knows that. I can see where he is coming from. Literally nobody said Hailstate as a greeting or whatever before the past few years. Yes it has been the fight song for a long time. I remember walking around Disney World back in 2010 and seeing tons of State fans, it was during the SEC basketball tourney and not one said "Hailstate", it was either "Go State" or "Go Dogs." I am not saying it is bad or anything, just that it takes those of us that didn't just start school here in the last 3-4 years a little longer to adjust to something like that. It sounds weird when I say it, kinda like I'm forcing it.

If I remember correctly Hailstate was begun as a term instead of just a song title with the push of the hashtag.

It's new but identifiable. I like it.

maroonmania
03-30-2014, 10:13 AM
If I remember correctly Hailstate was begun as a term instead of just a song title with the push of the hashtag.

It's new but identifiable. I like it.

I like it if enough MSU people would embrace it. At least its unique to us as far as I know, unlike the generic "Go Dogs" that probably 20 universities or more around the country say.

reddog
03-30-2014, 10:39 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

dogshiek
03-30-2014, 11:07 AM
"Hail State," is our battle cry! I find it easier to say everyday. We need to set ourselves apart as much as possible. Maybe go with Jack and Coke!