PDA

View Full Version : Tennessee just got hosed!!!

Bucky Dog
03-28-2014, 08:30 PM
That was an awful call on Stokes with 6 seconds left. The Michigan guys reached in and initiated the contact IMO. At minimum it's a no call but that was bullshit.

bluelightstar
03-28-2014, 08:35 PM
I think it was a no-call, but the ball was stripped anyway and wasn't headed out of bounds.

Dawg61
03-28-2014, 08:36 PM
Shoulda been a no-call. Stokes did bull rush with his shoulder though. Tough tough call.

maroonmania
03-28-2014, 08:38 PM
I actually thought Stokes did initiate the contact but in today's rules favoring the offense I'm surprised the defender got the call.

smootness
03-28-2014, 08:40 PM
The offensive player will always initiate contact because he's the one going toward the basket. I didn't see anything from Stokes that was out of control or a lowering of the shoulder beyond a normal basketball move.

It was a flop, and the defender moved over to stay in front; I thought it was an awful call to reward a non-basketball play.

Coach34
03-28-2014, 08:46 PM
It was a total bullshit flop

HailState39110
03-28-2014, 08:52 PM
Meeechigan

Bucky Dog
03-28-2014, 09:00 PM
SEC conspiracy has started!! Can't have lowly TN beat big bad Michigan!

bluelightstar
03-28-2014, 09:08 PM
Even if they hadn't called the offensive foul, the ball was still stripped by the defensive help

Dawg61
03-28-2014, 09:13 PM
Even if they hadn't called the offensive foul, the ball was still stripped by the defensive help

Went out of bounds

bluelightstar
03-28-2014, 09:38 PM
Went out of bounds

I thought it would've too, but on the replay, without being touched, it just kind of bounced there. UM in all likelihood would've gotten to it. Though I suppose they could've knocked it out as well.

Dawg61
03-28-2014, 10:18 PM
It was a fabulous comeback by Tennessee only to come up two points shy. If that game is one minute longer Tennessee wins. They lost because of the first half. First half they played like the 2013 Vols.

nsvltndog
03-29-2014, 12:01 AM
That wasn't the only game w/ late questionable calls.

There was a massive pushoff by Michigan State against UVA with ~30 seconds left in the game on an in bounds play that was a far worse call than the one in the UT - Michigan game. He pushed the UVA player 3-5 feet with the push off and the announcers didn't dance around the bush league call like they did in the UT game. In essence there were 2 games tonight deep in the NCAA Tourney where late in the game poor officiating played an impact in the outcome of the games. Both games were decided by 2 points or less - it's just unacceptable in games with national championship implications.

If I was a UT fan I'd be upset, but that was at least a judgment call. If I was a UVA fan I would be absolutely livid b/c there is no judgment required on a blatant push off and of course the replay showed a ref looking right at the play. It reminded me of some of the wonderful calls we've seen late in games at the Hump whenever we've played tight games vs Kentucky.

thf24
03-29-2014, 03:38 AM
They lost because of the first half.

Yup. They gave up easy baskets on the same backdoor play at least four times, two of them consecutive possessions. They got it fixed in the second half, but it ended up being the difference.

As far as the controversy in the last few seconds, yeah, probably should have been a no-call, but it's arguable what would have happened had there been no foul. Also, I don't think they should have set up Stokes face up in iso that far from the basket. Either try to get him the ball closer to the block, or give it to McRae, in my amateur opinion.

DancingRabbit
03-29-2014, 09:01 AM
give it to McRae

Cuonzo thought that worst case Stokes would get fouled and make at least one to get them into overtime. But McRae was unstoppable late in the game - let him drive and shoot, or draw the defense and dish it to Stokes.

DawgPoundRock
03-29-2014, 09:19 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlwkiXvlUZY&feature=share&list=UUE_X_nyK3t6iU8BRmT9ZN9g

Big Vol Daddy Meltdown