PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Cooking and Drinking Thread

BeastMan
03-28-2014, 12:35 PM
I'm headed to work so I won't have any updates until tomorrow. I know some of y'all will get it rolling tonight.

State82
03-28-2014, 03:13 PM
I'll get it rolling now. Coors Light at the local waterin' hole as I type. Planning to graduate to the 'ol standby rum/diet cola this evening. As far as groceries, no idea as of now. I think wife/daughter may be prom dress shopping so it could be Campbell soup.

PassInterference
03-28-2014, 06:56 PM
Burgers tonight and I took my first stab at grilling stuffed jalape?os.

I cut the peppers lengthwise on one side and spooned out the seeds and veins. Then I stuffed them with cheese (note to self: add chopped precooked shrimp or something next time). Then I wrapped them in bacon and grilled them at the same temp as the burgers, turning them 1/4 turn every 2 minutes. I took them off and patted them with brown sugar.

Next time, I'll add a little seafood, cook them a little slower, and put them back on the grill for a short time after adding the brown sugar. That sugar needs to glaze a little.

And Blue Moon Honey Wheat.

LC Dawg
03-28-2014, 08:03 PM
Drinking Ranger IPA and watching basketball. Gonna fry a few shrimp after the Tennessee-Michigan game.

State82
03-28-2014, 08:46 PM
Burgers tonight and I took my first stab at grilling stuffed jalape?os.

I cut the peppers lengthwise on one side and spooned out the seeds and veins. Then I stuffed them with cheese (note to self: add chopped precooked shrimp or something next time). Then I wrapped them in bacon and grilled them at the same temp as the burgers, turning them 1/4 turn every 2 minutes. I took them off and patted them with brown sugar.

Next time, I'll add a little seafood, cook them a little slower, and put them back on the grill for a short time after adding the brown sugar. That sugar needs to glaze a little.

And Blue Moon Honey Wheat.

I should have come to your house.

BeastMan
03-28-2014, 09:52 PM
Just got off work. On the couch watching UK vs UL and Sippin on a Smirnoff on the rocks with a shot of key lime juice

CadaverDawg
03-28-2014, 10:17 PM
Anybody have any Scotch advice? I'm about to begin my attempt to become a Scotch drinker. I like having a drink every couple of evenings, but just enough to take the edge off. I feel like a glass of Scotch would be the perfect thing. I will still be tackling craft beer and bourbon on the weekends though....so don't think I'm turning in to a candy ass.

Sidebar: How's it going, BeastMan? Didn't catch you the other night at the restaurant....your Pops told me he swapped times with you that day. I just finished up training for the new gig, so hopefully I'll be seeing you guys more often.

BeastMan
03-28-2014, 11:34 PM
Going good Cadaver. Glad to hear you're done training. Perhaps I'll see you around more. Must have been Monday night. Pops back was bothering him so I came in at 5:45 am to meet the delivery truck. He loves that early morning stuff but sometimes the heavy lifting doesn't help a sore back...

As far as Scotch, I haven't acquired the taste yet. I like Glenlevit but I'd rather have a good bourbon. I'll take my rookie label. Hack is the scotch man around here.

CadaverDawg
03-29-2014, 12:14 AM
Going good Cadaver. Glad to hear you're done training. Perhaps I'll see you around more. Must have been Monday night. Pops back was bothering him so I came in at 5:45 am to meet the delivery truck. He loves that early morning stuff but sometimes the heavy lifting doesn't help a sore back...

As far as Scotch, I haven't acquired the taste yet. I like Glenlevit but I'd rather have a good bourbon. I'll take my rookie label. Hack is the scotch man around here.

Yep, it was Monday.

Good info, I'll have to get Hack to give me the Scotch scoop. Thanks

PassInterference
03-29-2014, 12:58 AM
In my opinion, there are 2 kinds of scotch - those with peat and those without. Peat is a smoky flavor. You'll either love it or hate it. I hate it.

Some scotches without peat:

Jameson
Glenmorangie
Macallan

I'd say Glenmorangie Original is a great starter scotch. It is moderately priced for a scotch ($40...scotches are expensive). With the brands listed above, you generally get what you pay for...and you can pay $200. But Glenmo Original is pretty decent.

Pour some over ice and let the ice melt to a point where the flavor comes out and the kick isn't too strong. You'll figure out soon how much ice you need to hit your sweet spot.

Political Hack
03-29-2014, 09:22 AM

Political Hack
03-29-2014, 09:26 AM
start with that. drink hard.

seriously though, find out what region you like from a taste standpoint first. Some people like that campfire peat moss taste. some like something more simple that is more familiar with a bourbon or a blend. don't waste time with blends. single malt or bourbon IMO. Start on the rocks for sure. heavy on the rocks, maybe a splash of water if you're a quick drinker. if you're patient enough to let the glass sit while it melts a little, just rocks is fine. you'll sip early and guzzle late. after a while you'll start peeling back on the rocks.

Only hard rule: never crush a man's heart by bastardizing an 18 year old scotch by pouring anything into it. One or two ice cubes at the most in something like that. I had a friend mix and 18 year old with coke before. I almost cried.

I also PM'd you some recs.

Political Hack
03-29-2014, 09:30 AM
and to second what PI said, I love Morangie. I also like the peaty scotches too though. like a campfire in your mouth!

CadaverDawg
03-29-2014, 09:51 AM
and to second what PI said, I love Morangie. I also like the peaty scotches too though. like a campfire in your mouth!

Something tells me I'll like the campfire taste.

Thanks for the advice, gentlemen. Much appreciated.

BeastMan
03-29-2014, 10:40 AM
Just whipped up a brunch sandwich. Homemade jalape?o cheddar bun (baked this morning), fried green tomatoes blt w/a roasted red bell pepper sauce on the side. http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc473/stoms31/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps9cac88a3.jpg

Esmerelda Villalobos
03-29-2014, 11:10 AM
Something tells me I'll like the campfire taste.

Thanks for the advice, gentlemen. Much appreciated.

Lagavulin for smoke. It is all I drink. If you dont want to drop that coin, go with laphroig. I drink anything from the isle of islay.

Scotch is nectar from the gods

WeWillScrewItUp
03-29-2014, 11:25 AM
Just whipped up a brunch sandwich. Homemade jalape?o cheddar bun (baked this morning), fried green tomatoes blt w/a roasted red bell pepper sauce on the side. http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc473/stoms31/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps9cac88a3.jpg

I went to the Trace Grill in Ridgeland about a month ago on recommendation of my aunt and uncle and had a bacon cheddar burger on a jalape?o cheddar bun, it was my first experience with a jalape?o cheddar bun, and it was amazing. Your brunch sandwich made me think of it and I have been meaning to share about the place too. If I find myself back in the Jackson area around eating time I will definitely be going back.

WeWillScrewItUp
03-29-2014, 11:28 AM
I have a few filets from a couple good size bass I pulled out when I woke up that I'm going to either blacken or put on the grill. I haven't decided yet which way I will go but either way should turn out great. Now to decided on what to wash it all down with now.

Political Hack
03-29-2014, 11:30 AM

I would stab you for that sandwich. looks awesome.

PassInterference
03-29-2014, 12:13 PM
Ditto Trace Grill. I had some fried green tomatoes there last week.

Bullmutt
03-29-2014, 02:47 PM
Cadaver, FWIW, I'll ditto Ennis' recommendation. Lagavulin is the finest spirit known to man or beast- at about $80. None of the other Islays quite compare, but a few get close. But a mediocre Islay is better, IMHO, than a good Highland.

Esmerelda Villalobos
03-29-2014, 04:58 PM
Cadaver, FWIW, I'll ditto Ennis' recommendation. Lagavulin is the finest spirit known to man or beast- at about $80. None of the other Islays quite compare, but a few get close. But a mediocre Islay is better, IMHO, than a good Highland.

Yes yes yes

PassInterference
03-29-2014, 06:27 PM
A campfire in your mouth.

SMH.

PI just doesn't appreciate _all_ the finer things in life, I suppose.

Just curious...all you campfire-in-your-mouth lovers, are you guys all current or former smokers?

SpeckleDawg
03-29-2014, 07:00 PM
Beast, that sandwich looks amazing.

I'm about to get started on some grilled pineapple-terryaki shrimp, deer sausage, baked potatoes & crawfish dip. I cheated on the dip though....bought it at Rouse's.

Ranger IPA during the process

Esmerelda Villalobos
03-29-2014, 07:04 PM
I havent smoked cigs in over 10 years. I do smoke synthetic weed every day

CadaverDawg
03-29-2014, 07:57 PM
Thanks Ennis and bullmutt.

And yes, Trace Grill is great. Eat there at least once a week. It's the best place to get good southern style meat and veggies in the Jackson Metro Area

BeastMan
03-29-2014, 09:14 PM
I did some kayaking today and didn't get off the water until 7. That equalled pick up Hungry Howies and the 3 Budweisers in my fridge

Barking 13
03-31-2014, 10:56 AM
I havent smoked cigs in over 10 years. I do smoke synthetic weed every day

That's like drinking O'Douls ;)

Johnson85
03-31-2014, 11:30 AM
A campfire in your mouth.

SMH.

PI just doesn't appreciate _all_ the finer things in life, I suppose.

Just curious...all you campfire-in-your-mouth lovers, are you guys all current or former smokers?

It's an acquired taste. First time I had a real peaty scotch I didn't like it. A few weeks passed by and I started craving it. It's still a one or two drink flavor for me. I don't sit around and drink it the way I will highlands.

Johnson85
03-31-2014, 11:42 AM
start with that. drink hard.

don't waste time with blends. single malt or bourbon IMO.

I disagree. Blends have their place. I'd still rather sit around a sip on a blend all night than sip on a bourbon all night. And if I blow through 3/4 of a fifth of a blend in one night, I don't feel like I've wasted it like I do if I blow through 3/4's of a good scotch. And there are a lot of intermediate scotches that even though I like them better than blends, they are in no man's land to me. I'm not going to buy Glenlivet anymore. I'll either spring for a lagavulin, balvenie, or mac 12 or I will stick with the cheaper blend. I also think blends are good beginner scotches in general, especially if you're moving to it from bourbon or irish whiskey. Just don't spend money for a 'nice' blend. To me, Johnny Walker Black is the high end of what you should spend on a blend.

I do agree about bastardizing a good scotch with a mixer. To me, if somebody offers you anything good, either take it on the rocks or decline it. Even if you like a splash of water, take it on the rocks and just sip slowly until enough ice has melted to your tastes.

Political Hack
03-31-2014, 11:45 AM
there are nice blends, but I'd much rather sip on Morangie than chevis for only a few more dollars a bottle.

Bullmutt
04-01-2014, 01:27 PM
PI, I've never smoked, but I found over the many years I have been a wine drinker that I love a lot of the better reds that have a prominent "smoke" component, and I think that led me to appreciate the Islays. If you wanted a snack that might enhance your appreciation of them, try smoked almonds or black pepper Triscuits.