PDA

View Full Version : What's in your garden?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
03-28-2014, 09:34 AM
It's getting that time of the year to start preparing for the growing season. What do the OD's have in their garden?
-4 broccoli and 3 romaine lettuce plants that are producing
-starting to see spinach and mesculine lettuce that I planted as seeds pop up
-got around 30 sweet pepper and prob 50 green bell pepper plants that I sprouted from dried out seeds
-just planted some dill, basil, and cilantro that should grow rapidly
-tomato plants will be planted next week
-waiting on my black pepper vine to arrive in the mail

Political Hack
03-30-2014, 07:24 AM
I've wanted to retro start an herb garden for the last several years but I honestly just don't have enough time to add anything to my schedule.

PassInterference
03-30-2014, 08:24 AM
I planted cilantro in a pot on the back porch last year. Loved it. It was nice during cooking to just step outside, pull a few leaves off, and cook with them. And maintenance was pretty low. I just had to pour a cup of water in the pot every few days during the hot summer.

There is no flavor like fresh herbs. The stuff that comes in a jar is like D-III football compared to the NFL.

This year, I may do cilantro and some basil. I might also think about putting the pots inside in a window sill for even lower maintenance. Plants may get big for that though.

Esmerelda Villalobos
03-30-2014, 12:50 PM
Rosemarry and weed

WeWillScrewItUp
03-30-2014, 02:42 PM
A variety of pepper plants mainly for me. I'm going to get a few tomato plants in the ground in the next week or so.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
03-31-2014, 10:38 AM
I've wanted to retro start an herb garden for the last several years but I honestly just don't have enough time to add anything to my schedule.
I know several people who travel a lot for work and have used these with great success. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Miracle-Gro-AeroGarden-7-with-Gourmet-Herb-Seed-Pod-Kit-and-Garden-Starter-System-2108-00B/204594292#product_description

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
03-31-2014, 10:39 AM
Rosemarry and weed
Hahaha rosemary would definitely help with the smell...

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
03-31-2014, 10:45 AM
A variety of pepper plants mainly for me. I'm going to get a few tomato plants in the ground in the next week or so.
What varieties of tomatoes are you planting? I've got a roma, a celebrity, and a Cherokee purple. I'm thinking about trying a new trick I heard the other morning and that's to put a tums or 2 in the bottom of the hole when planting tomatoes. It supposedly adds calcium to the plant and makes the tomatoes sweeter. They also mentioned that tomatoes shouldn't be planted in the same location or the same container from one year to the next. Tomatoes have micro organisms on their roots and they don't present a problem until replanting occurs in the same spot.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
03-31-2014, 10:52 AM
I planted cilantro in a pot on the back porch last year. Loved it. It was nice during cooking to just step outside, pull a few leaves off, and cook with them. And maintenance was pretty low. I just had to pour a cup of water in the pot every few days during the hot summer.

There is no flavor like fresh herbs. The stuff that comes in a jar is like D-III football compared to the NFL.

This year, I may do cilantro and some basil. I might also think about putting the pots inside in a window sill for even lower maintenance. Plants may get big for that though.
Basil and cilantro have always been a standard for me, but now I'm starting to include rosemary, dill, garlic, and oregano. Like you said, they are low maintenance and some actually grow faster the more you pick from them. Also, the stuff that comes in jar does have a shelf life and most people don't realize that the year old bottle of 'Italian seasoning" won't have the same flavor.