PDA

View Full Version : The Intimidation Factor of the(new) Death Valley...

engie
03-28-2014, 07:56 AM
This is the first thing I've seen that really seems to capture it...

http://instagram.com/p/mDf6nQPlrF/

Bubb Rubb
03-28-2014, 08:06 AM
The most intimidating thing about that stadium to me is that it's a rickety dump and with 95000 people in it, I'm concerned that it's going to fall in on everyone. But I know that's not really the case.

Esmerelda Villalobos
03-28-2014, 08:07 AM
It is the same as it was. Just basically added an upper deck.

engie
03-28-2014, 08:31 AM
It is the same as it was. Just basically added an upper deck.

Do you realize how much sound is going to be trapped in that end? With the shape of that expansion, sound is going to project down from the upper decks for really the first time -- something that previously had little effect on the noise level in Baton Rouge... as seen by the earthquake game, etc only having the one old upperdeck that they tore down...

PassInterference
03-28-2014, 08:36 AM
I have a hunch Ennis knows something about sound.

godlluB
03-28-2014, 08:38 AM
But, but, but the concrete doesn't match! **

engie
03-28-2014, 08:50 AM
I have a hunch Ennis knows something about sound.

I have a hunch that I do too...

I don't see the need to shortsell something that just on the very surface looks intimidating as hell -- in what was already the most intimidating stadium in the country...

preachermatt83
03-28-2014, 11:02 AM
yea, im with engie on this, it's gonna be so freaking loud because the sound, even from the upper deck, is coming down onto the field rather than escaping.

starkvegasdawg
03-28-2014, 11:39 AM
Just have another big rig with a load of corn dogs hit a Budweiser truck thirty minutes before the game. Stadium will be damn near empty.

bulldogsmsu
03-28-2014, 02:13 PM
It is impressive. I wish I had to money to donate to go ahead and finish the upper deck in the end zone and bring it all the way around to both sides of the stadium. Hope that isn't in the to to far off plans. Looks like the substructure is there. Regardless I am happy with what we are getting this year. Can't wait to see it in person.

mstatefan91
03-28-2014, 02:16 PM
It is impressive. I wish I had to money to donate to go ahead and finish the upper deck in the end zone and bring it all the way around to both sides of the stadium. Hope that isn't in the to to far off plans. Looks like the substructure is there. Regardless I am happy with what we are getting this year. Can't wait to see it in person.

Yeah I wish they had just completed the upper deck as well instead of the cop out of "well now people can mingle here and watch the game!"

engie
03-28-2014, 02:22 PM

Davis Wade's endzone is engineered for another level of skyboxes and a 7000 seat upperdeck. All footings and everything necessary to make that happen are already in place... This was gone through in the introductory press conference the first time it was officially unveiled...

mstatefan91
03-28-2014, 02:24 PM
Davis Wade's endzone is engineered for another level of skyboxes and a 7000 seat upperdeck. All footings and everything necessary to make that happen are already in place... This was gone through in the introductory press conference the first time it was officially unveiled...
Good to know. Makes sense not to do it until you know you can bring in the numbers. Otherwise you just have an empty looking stadium even if it can seat 70,000

Esmerelda Villalobos
03-28-2014, 02:27 PM

Good stuff engie.
Seems the one thing we boned up was the other level of suites. We dont need more general seating. We need more premium.

Hindsight they shouldve gone ahead and done the next level of suites and done the upper deck down the road

Now, we wont be able to do any of it for a minimum of 7-10 years, unless they want to just trash that new big screen

mstatefan91
03-28-2014, 02:34 PM
I've always wondered what they are going to do when it becomes necessary to bowl in the south endzone. What happens to the M-Club? Torn down and replaced with locker rooms inside of the stadium?

bulldogsmsu
03-28-2014, 02:34 PM

I thought that was the case. Still wish I had the money to donate to go ahead and finish it. We are getting there!

engie
03-28-2014, 03:02 PM
Good stuff engie.
Seems the one thing we boned up was the other level of suites. We dont need more general seating. We need more premium.

Hindsight they shouldve gone ahead and done the next level of suites and done the upper deck down the road

Now, we wont be able to do any of it for a minimum of 7-10 years, unless they want to just trash that new big screen

I agree 100%...

Here we are with a fresh $75mil expansion -- when we haven't sold out the new Club Level(s) yet(we overbuilt -- which I actually like) -- but the suites were gone in a matter of weeks, if not a matter of days. We've spent all this money -- and we still have what I view as either a suite shortage or underpriced suites.

IMO the next logical step is to get serious about the west side mid deck. I don't know if it would be more cost effective to try and renovate in skyboxes as it currently exists -- or just ripping out the west side upper deck and starting over? I know LSU started over on theirs -- and I've talked to a couple of the engineers that built the new one -- and they said it was really the only option.

We've spent all this money on Davis Wade -- and it seemingly just shines a spotlight on the other shortcomings. A lower east renovation has to be on the immediate horizon. We're going to have to use a half ass staircase to handle the concourse elevation transition from the new endzone into the east side for now...

On Davis Wade's endzone, if you look closely, you can actually see the design cues and preparation for the second level of skyboxes and an upper deck. Did you notice how the Scoreboard Club risers were actually installed in two separate pieces? That's so they can rip out the bottom 7 or so rows and lower half of the risers in a hurry -- add a "level" to the existing topped out concrete structure(essentially turning the "scoreboard club" into a "skybox lounge"), and wrap the remaining height of that upper deck all the way around...

engie
03-28-2014, 03:14 PM
I've always wondered what they are going to do when it becomes necessary to bowl in the south endzone. What happens to the M-Club? Torn down and replaced with locker rooms inside of the stadium?

That's what I think needs to happen. The M-Club is fairly nice -- but Turman sucks(what the M-Club is built on top of) where our locker rooms are. We need a heavy focus on premium seating. Look at what Mizzou did for loge seating -- with personal refrigerators. Ideas like this are how you combat people staying at home and watching on tv...

http://tsf-mizzou.com/library/images/buttons/Interior-Bowlw.png
http://www.tsf-mizzou.com/library/images/Loge-S.png
http://tigerboard.com/uimages/user18182_61.png

Esmerelda Villalobos
03-28-2014, 03:23 PM
I think one mistake (which they can fix before the season) is not budgeting 1.5 million for a distributed sound system at DWS.

Easy fix. Im sure nobody really thought about it. Easy thing to forget

engie
03-28-2014, 03:38 PM
I think one mistake (which they can fix before the season) is not budgeting 1.5 million for a distributed sound system at DWS.

Easy fix. Im sure nobody really thought about it. Easy thing to forget

Lol, yeah. Should have been done already. "Wait and see" has potential to turn out to be a nightmare on this one. But we'll have alot more to spend next year anyway...

We just thought sound in there was bad before. Now we're introducing a lower deck-wide echo...

Esmerelda Villalobos
03-28-2014, 03:44 PM
Yeah, the line arrays point and blast will probably last one season with the new end zone before they scrap it and do a new one next year.

Just my .02 cents. What do I know?

Barking 13
03-29-2014, 10:14 AM
Ennis, do you know what's up there now? I mean what type LA / sub system is installed? On these stadiums, distributed is the way to go. You just have to get the delays right.

Esmerelda Villalobos
03-29-2014, 11:12 AM
It is a line array system. Point and blast. Basically what most college stadiums have