PDA

View Full Version : Football positions- to redshirt, or not to redshirt

Todd4State
05-08-2013, 01:17 AM
QB- Redshirt. Unless you have Peyton Manning.

RB- Play. Sure, most freshmen tailbacks have problems with blocking, but more often than not, they can be adequate as freshmen unless they are raw.

WR- Prefer to redshirt, could play. I guess it depends on how well they run their routes. I would imagine most of the time they redshirt.

Slot WR- Play. Just get them the ball in space.

TE/H-back- Redshirt. Bulk them up and teach them to block.

FB- Redshirt, More often than not, this is a walk-on.

OL- Redshirt. Have to be developed. We've talked about how difficult it is to evaluate them- I wonder if it may not be more productive to just get JUCO's unless there are obvious talent like a Devon Desper or Jake Thomas.

DL- Prefer to redshirt, could play. We've had a lot of luck through the years finding D-linemen that can play as freshmen. Cox, Boyd, Quay, Nick James, and now probably Chris Jones.

LB- Prefer to redshirt, could play. I would think you would want to redshirt a MLB. I could some OLB's playing as freshmen. Especialli if it's a weakside LB and you want them to primarily rush the passer.

CB- Play. I'm going to say that this seems to be either an instinct position or it's an either you can cover or you can't position. I'm not exactly sure which one, but it may be sort of like o-line where it may be beneficial to go with mainly JUCO's and phenoms.

S- Redshirt. Probably anyway. I'm guessing a lot of these guys have to be bulked up.

Nickle- Redshirt. I'm guessing they would have to be bulked up too.

ST- K, P, LS- Play. If they can kick it through the uprights, I wouldn't worry about burning too many redshirts.

KR/PR- Play. If a guy has speed and can handle it, I say let him do it.

The above is speaking in general terms.

Political Hack
05-08-2013, 07:51 AM
QB, OL, DL, & LB are the only positions where I think it's almost a rule. DL not so much, but I'm sure most coaches would prefer it.

Coach 57
05-08-2013, 08:06 AM
I actually think it depends on the system you are running with RBs. If you are a Petrino Arky type offense like they had with Mallet you might WANT to redshirt your RBs. The reason for that is for blitz pickup responsibilities on 3rd down vertical plays. With so much today riding on the arms & brains of the QB you absolutely MUST ensure his backside protection is sound. Other than that I agree with everything you are saying.

1bigdawg
05-08-2013, 08:49 AM
I agree with with you but want to add one note. Peyton Manning was reshirting and third on the depth chart when they came to Starkville his freshman year. The starter got hurt and the freshman they brought in first (not Peyton) looked bad, so Fulmer tries Peyton. He threw a touchdown on his first pass. The rest is history.

Goat Holder
05-08-2013, 10:28 AM
I agree with with you but want to add one note. Peyton Manning was reshirting and third on the depth chart when they came to Starkville his freshman year. The starter got hurt and the freshman they brought in first (not Peyton) looked bad, so Fulmer tries Peyton. He threw a touchdown on his first pass. The rest is history.

This isn't correct. Todd Helton was the UT QB when they came to Starkville and was a Jr. Jerry Colquitt, a Sr., got hurt in the opener. Helton got hurt vs. us, THEN Manning came in.

Think about what you just said.....there was no other freshman QB in PEYTON MANNING'S class. Highly doubt he signs if they were after another, better QB.

bulldawg28
05-08-2013, 11:55 AM
CB is the hardest position on the field. Unless a special team void is needed they almost always redshirt.

engie
05-08-2013, 11:56 AM
I think it's pretty simple really -- redshirt everyone unless they make the initial depth chart -- or unless they are a 3 year NFL talent(guess this one really folds into the first one).

Goat Holder
05-08-2013, 12:58 PM
Not that this matters, but I think back to what we could have accomplished in 2011 had Derek Sherrod redshirted in 2007. I know he didn't start back then, but he was a quality backup. Not sure if we could have gotten by or not without him, so I won't bash Croom for the decision, but damn I bet we beat Auburn and South Carolina with him at LT that year.

Homedawg
05-08-2013, 01:04 PM
This isn't correct. Todd Helton was the UT QB when they came to Starkville and was a Jr. Jerry Colquitt, a Sr., got hurt in the opener. Helton got hurt vs. us, THEN Manning came in.

Think about what you just said.....there was no other freshman QB in PEYTON MANNING'S class. Highly doubt he signs if they were after another, better QB.

Actually there was another QB in his class. Brandon Stewart from tx, I believe. he came in competed, did well. But he wasn't Peyton saw the writing on the wall and left. You are correct about Helton starting that game.
ETA, not only did Stewart sign the same year he did play a lot early in the year until manning finally bet him out. It wasn't just handed to Peyton.

engie
05-08-2013, 01:12 PM
Yep -- and what if we had Banks, Bump, Boyd, Chris Smith, Lawrence coming back nexr year(assuming Slay would likely be gone since he had to go JUCO)?

That's essentially the scenario that we'll have starting in 2014...

Coach34
05-08-2013, 01:45 PM
Not that this matters, but I think back to what we could have accomplished in 2011 had Derek Sherrod redshirted in 2007. I know he didn't start back then, but he was a quality backup. Not sure if we could have gotten by or not without him, so I won't bash Croom for the decision, but damn I bet we beat Auburn and South Carolina with him at LT that year.

He was still projected as a 1st rounder after the 2010 season- so he likely doesnt stay anyway

Todd4State
05-08-2013, 04:34 PM
Yep -- and what if we had Banks, Bump, Boyd, Chris Smith, Lawrence coming back nexr year(assuming Slay would likely be gone since he had to go JUCO)?

That's essentially the scenario that we'll have starting in 2014...

I HATED not redshirting all of those guys.