PDA

View Full Version : Stricklin's Second Hire into the WNIT Elite 8**

engie
03-27-2014, 09:07 PM
NM

curmudgeon
03-27-2014, 09:08 PM
I live blogged the last 3:11 in the thread below if you want to relive the excitement.

engie
03-27-2014, 09:12 PM
We gonna be hell to deal with for the next couple of years in that sport...

Really, we've hired pretty well and become competitive in almost all of the small sports. I guess we still need to get women's tennis and volleyball up and going...

MarketingBully01
03-27-2014, 09:12 PM
NM

That guy is a bad ass and recruited most of the national championship A&M team. He did a great job on the women's hire. Wish he used that same formula on the men's

curmudgeon
03-27-2014, 09:19 PM
There's a chance that we will play the nappy headed ho's from Rutgers in the Final Four.

TheRef
03-27-2014, 09:22 PM
There's a chance that we will play the nappy headed ho's from Rutgers in the Final Four.

Good ol' Howard Stern

Coach34
03-27-2014, 09:24 PM
actually, Imus said that first

dogshiek
03-27-2014, 09:29 PM
Momma always said, "Hiring coaches is like a box of chocolates."

Vandownbytheriver
03-27-2014, 09:32 PM
I'm in agreement that the Lady Dawgs could whip Brick's team as well.

JOHNHEVESYMADE
03-27-2014, 10:20 PM
Can Schaeffer coach the men as well?

Dawg61
03-27-2014, 10:33 PM
Happy to hear we no longer suck in women's bball but 10 smaller sports don't equal Men's basketball. You know that.

godlluB
03-27-2014, 10:35 PM
I don't know, we played like absolute CRAP until 7 minutes to go, and in my opinion, only pulled out the win because Auburn that THREE players foul out in the last few minutes.

I know, a win is a win, but I've seen better basketball fundamentals at an Upward League game.

Bothrops
03-27-2014, 10:44 PM
Our best chance to win a Natty will be in girls hoops.

Intramural All-American
03-27-2014, 10:47 PM

Didn't we just get beat in the national championship in baseball?

chef dixon
03-27-2014, 10:54 PM

Too bad UConn starts 5 Victoria Vivians.

maroonmania
03-27-2014, 10:56 PM
I don't know, we played like absolute CRAP until 7 minutes to go, and in my opinion, only pulled out the win because Auburn that THREE players foul out in the last few minutes.

I know, a win is a win, but I've seen better basketball fundamentals at an Upward League game.

Well in basketball playing at home helps BIG TIME. I'm happy for the women's team and think we are going to take a big step up next year, though personally I just don't get that into it. How are we getting all of these home games? Is it a seeding thing? If we have the Sunday home game as I've seen posted won't that be the 4th straight WNIT game in the Hump?

esplanade91
03-27-2014, 11:05 PM
Well in basketball playing at home helps BIG TIME. I'm happy for the women's team and think we are going to take a big step up next year, though personally I just don't get that into it. How are we getting all of these home games? Is it a seeding thing? If we have the Sunday home game as I've seen posted won't that be the 4th straight WNIT game in the Hump?
Would like to know this too. Didn't Mizzou men's host a better seeded USM team recently? I like the NIT "at home" format (for what it is) but it doesn't make too much sense who gets to play at home.

Quaoarsking
03-27-2014, 11:39 PM
In the men's NIT, the higher seed always hosts unless their arena is unavailable (due to renovation or because it's hosting the NCAA Tournament or women's NCAA Tournament). Missouri hosted against Southern Miss because it was a 2, and USM was a 3. Then the final 4 is in NYC

In the women's NIT, there are no seeds and one of the team hosts, even the final 4 and championship game. The host is determined by a bidding process and who has proven they can draw fans to WNIT games. If one team has clearly had a better season than the other, that's taken into account to, but only alongside the bids. We got to host over Auburn (who had a better season) because we presumably put together a better bid.

Bothrops
03-27-2014, 11:46 PM
Didn't we just get beat in the national championship in baseball?

Yeah but, do you know how hard it will be to get back to the finals in Omaha? You have to have superior talent than everyone else there, or be talented and very very lucky.

Intramural All-American
03-27-2014, 11:50 PM
Yeah but, do you know how hard it will be to get back to the finals in Omaha? You have to have superior talent than everyone else there, or be talented and very very lucky.

It will be a lot easier than winning a women's basketball national title. We've been to Omaha 8 times, we've never been past the sweet sixteen in women's hoops. Heck we are ranked 13 in baseball right now.

esplanade91
03-27-2014, 11:54 PM
In the men's NIT, the higher seed always hosts unless their arena is unavailable (due to renovation or because it's hosting the NCAA Tournament or women's NCAA Tournament). Missouri hosted against Southern Miss because it was a 2, and USM was a 3. Then the final 4 is in NYC

In the women's NIT, there are no seeds and one of the team hosts, even the final 4 and championship game. The host is determined by a bidding process and who has proven they can draw fans to WNIT games. If one team has clearly had a better season than the other, that's taken into account to, but only alongside the bids. We got to host over Auburn (who had a better season) because we presumably put together a better bid.
I don't know why I thought USM was a better seed than MU. They had an impressive resume and should have made the tourney, I guess that's why.

WNIT seems to take baseball hosting terms into account.

engie
03-27-2014, 11:57 PM

Approximately equally difficult to win a title in basketball and baseball. I've been through that statistically before. If you look at natural advantages, it leans pretty heavily toward baseball for us. In the NCAAs, women don't get to play at home. Know how hard it is to beat UConn, Tennessee, aTm, Duke, Stanford, Kentucky, Carolina, Notre Dame in women's basketball at a "neutral site" when the other teams actually have travelling fanbases? Every single game if you go fairly deep will in essence be a road game in the postseason. That contrasts drastically to our baseball fanbase turning TD Ameritrade into Dudy Noble north...

Bothrops
03-28-2014, 12:08 AM
Approximately equally difficult to win a title in basketball and baseball. I've been through that statistically before. If you look at natural advantages, it leans pretty heavily toward baseball for us. In the NCAAs, women don't get to play at home. Know how hard it is to beat UConn, Tennessee, aTm, Duke, Stanford, Kentucky, Carolina, Notre Dame in women's basketball at a "neutral site" when the other teams actually have travelling fanbases? Every single game if you go fairly deep will in essence be a road game in the postseason. That contrasts drastically to our baseball fanbase turning TD Ameritrade into Dudy Noble north...

Good point. I really can't speak intelligently about women's hoops. I just get the feeling that our girls program is about to change.

Dawg61
03-28-2014, 12:18 AM
It will be a lot easier than winning a women's basketball national title. We've been to Omaha 8 times, we've never been past the sweet sixteen in women's hoops. Heck we are ranked 13 in baseball right now.

Excuse me while I interrupt. We've been to Omaha 9 times. Thanks

notsofarawaydawg
03-28-2014, 08:37 AM
Good point. I really can't speak intelligently about women's hoops. I just get the feeling that our girls program is about to change.

It is regardless of all the old alum who hate anything outside men's basketball.

engie
03-28-2014, 09:02 AM

I definitely agree with that. I'd be shocked if some actual Sweet 16s aren't on the horizon -- and once you make it through the first weekend, the sky is the limit...

I think softball is going in the right direction, baseball and football are about as good as they are going to be, men's tennis is great, women's golf is great, track is very good, etc...

We've got a handful of sports that still need to be rebuilt -- but considering where we're coming from, I imagine this is pretty close to the best our athletics dept has ever been top to bottom...

AFDawg
03-28-2014, 09:13 AM
I definitely agree with that. I'd be shocked if some actual Sweet 16s aren't on the horizon -- and once you make it through the first weekend, the sky is the limit...

I think softball is going in the right direction, baseball and football are about as good as they are going to be, men's tennis is great, women's golf is great, track is very good, etc...

We've got a handful of sports that still need to be rebuilt -- but considering where we're coming from, I imagine this is pretty close to the best our athletics dept has ever been top to bottom...

And yet still there is a "fire Stricklin" crowd.

engie
03-28-2014, 09:41 AM
And yet still there is a "fire Stricklin" crowd.

All over a basketball coach that they haven't yet given a fair shake...

I eased alot of my tension toward Stricklin when shown in a power structure chart that Bracky reports to Keenum and is not under Strick's immediate control...

dickiedawg
03-28-2014, 10:33 AM
All over a basketball coach that they haven't yet given a fair shake...

I eased alot of my tension toward Stricklin when shown in a power structure chart that Bracky reports to Keenum and is not under Strick's immediate control...

Haven't seen this before, but it makes a lot of sense.