PDA

View Full Version : Question about the burnout 5 star divas of Ole Miss past

vv83
03-27-2014, 11:34 AM
Do you think they are unhappy with the university? Guys like Brassel and Singleton who hardly even touched the field before transferring out. I've always wondered if they would denounce the university in anyway. If they ever did I feel like we could greatly use that to our advantage in recruiting.

Real Deal
03-27-2014, 12:22 PM
The kids give much less of a shit than the fans do.

AlSwearengen
03-27-2014, 12:30 PM
I doubt Brassell has any hard feelings. Anything bad that came to him, he did himself. The only thing that he could be unhappy about is that they expected him to go to class just a little bit. He probably didn't even have to do his own work, just show his face so that some professor could count him present.

drummerdawg
03-27-2014, 12:34 PM
Seems like I remember not too long ago someone took to twitter saying something along the lines of people in Oxford want to see you fail, it something like that. Seemed like a pretty big recruit, don't remember who though.

jalakin
03-27-2014, 01:02 PM
It was Darius Liggins so I don't really count him as a big recruit.

mullenite
03-27-2014, 05:45 PM
Brassell played a lot as a freshman. He and his posse were his demise. Couldn't let the streets go. Hell HDN was letting him live in Batesville! They even had to send a GA to sit outside his classes so that he would stay. Just a waste of natural talent.

Cabo32
03-27-2014, 05:47 PM
My cousin worked at at the fedex center, we they tutor athletes, when he was in school up there...he gave me tons of shit when they signed brassel. Later that year brassel was playing off and def for them and I was thinking to myself how much he could've helped..well whenever news of brassel and academic issues started up, I asked my cousin what the deal was..his response "academic issues? Hell I didn't know he had any grade issues, you have to goto class to get grades" he told me that brassell literally never went to class

War Machine Dawg
03-27-2014, 06:26 PM
I doubt Brassell has any hard feelings. Anything bad that came to him, he did himself. The only thing that he could be unhappy about is that they expected him to go to class just a little bit. He probably didn't even have to do his own work, just show his face so that some professor could count him present.

Bingo. Snoop ****ed Snoop. All he had to do was drag his ass to class and the BearSharks would've made sure he had the grades to play. But nope, he pulled a Dontae Jones and never even went to class. Totally pissed away an NFL career because he didn't like school. Well done, Snoop.

justwin
03-27-2014, 07:01 PM
I always thought that the whole "NFL Talent" label with him was part of the urban myth. I'm just not so sure he was an NFL talent like a lot of people default to, but that's easier to say since other people say it I guess. Same deal with the whole "Grove is great" company line....if enough people say it, then it has to be true. Trust me, I've had enough "outsiders" not from MS go to the grove and think "meh".

Back to snoop, his HS team won a bunch of titles, but let's be honest...those SP teams were more deep and more developed than most other HS teams so they won a majority of games due to that. From what I saw of Snoop from his first game to his last his freshman year was that he had very questionable hands and he had avg SEC speed at best. Hell, he got hawked down by a KY LB with ease despite a 10 yd headstart.

But yeah, Snoop screwed himself.

What I find really funny about the 4 horseman of CJ, Snoop, Tobias Manning, and Whitehead are that they wish they've had the careers of guys like Moncrief, BMAC, and Taveze who were all lower rated, but probably equally talented coming out of HS. Whitehead has really been bad.

Bingo. Snoop ****ed Snoop. All he had to do was drag his ass to class and the BearSharks would've made sure he had the grades to play. But nope, he pulled a Dontae Jones and never even went to class. Totally pissed away an NFL career because he didn't like school. Well done, Snoop.

M.Fillmore
03-27-2014, 07:19 PM
You are all right, to a degree. Brassell blew it while on the plantation, but he did go to class and make good grades at EMCC. One of his coaches at EMCC told me this.

As we now know, Snoops grade point average was so low he couldn't get back into UM. But this didn't stop the Plantation coaches from telling Snoop they could get him back in to use Snoop as a tool to get Tony Connor.

Yeah, Snoop did it to himself the first go-around. But the Bears stuck it to Snoop and used him the second go around.

Political Hack
03-27-2014, 07:53 PM
Pat Pat would've been the unhappy one. he and Tobias. Reporters tried to pay Pat Pat to go on the record with them and he wouldn't do it.

War Machine Dawg
03-27-2014, 08:42 PM
I always thought that the whole "NFL Talent" label with him was part of the urban myth. I'm just not so sure he was an NFL talent like a lot of people default to, but that's easier to say since other people say it I guess. Same deal with the whole "Grove is great" company line....if enough people say it, then it has to be true. Trust me, I've had enough "outsiders" not from MS go to the grove and think "meh".

Back to snoop, his HS team won a bunch of titles, but let's be honest...those SP teams were more deep and more developed than most other HS teams so they won a majority of games due to that. From what I saw of Snoop from his first game to his last his freshman year was that he had very questionable hands and he had avg SEC speed at best. Hell, he got hawked down by a KY LB with ease despite a 10 yd headstart.

But yeah, Snoop screwed himself.

What I find really funny about the 4 horseman of CJ, Snoop, Tobias Manning, and Whitehead are that they wish they've had the careers of guys like Moncrief, BMAC, and Taveze who were all lower rated, but probably equally talented coming out of HS. Whitehead has really been bad.

I personally saw virtually every game of Snoop's HS career and kept a close eye on him at Mississippi. It's not urban myth to say he had NFL talent. He had plenty of speed and athleticism. And if you could throw it in his general vicinity, he'd go get it. You don't play well both ways in the SEC as a freshman unless you're a badass. I'd have killed for him to sign with State. I'm not saying Snoop would've been an NFL superstar, but he could've hung around as a quality #3 type WR, especially with the way the NFL has become such a pass happy game.

M.Fillmore
03-27-2014, 08:48 PM
Admittedly this attitude would have gotten Snoop hammered in the SEC, but a Back Judge in juco told me that when Snoop was the deep man on the punt receiving team the Back Judge told Snoop. "Give me a good high signal if you want a fair catch." Snoop turned to the Back Judge and said, "Ain't gonna be no fair catch tonight ref." The Back Judge told me that Snoop returned every punt that night.

Todd4State
03-27-2014, 09:06 PM
It's impossible to know how they would have turned out, but I do believe that had they come to MSU they would have had a LOT more success as football players. They wouldn't have had to deal with a coaching change first of all.

But I also think:

Singleton would have been no worse than number two and possibly started at slot WR- one of the marquee positions in Dan's offense. I say no worse than number two because Jameon is really good. I think he would have seen a lot of action even if he was the number two slot guy. Probably similar to Jameon's career.

Brassell I do think he had NFL talent, but I don't think he has NFL work ethic. Had he come to MSU, at the very least he would not have been able to stay in Batesville and that would have helped him immensely. I think Dan would have used him as a CB and maybe as a slot guy on occasion as well as letting him return kicks. CB would have been his ticket to the NFL IMO. He would have probably gotten along real well with Deshea Townsend and probably would have been in line to start opposite Jamerson Love, and had we redshirted him he probably starts opposite Tavese Calhoun.

CJ Johnson probably would still be a LB because no way our coaches let him get out of shape like he is at Ole Miss. He probably plays Deontae Skinner's old position had he come to MSU.

Whitehead I still have to believe he would have not panned out. I just think Calhoun, Cox, and Market are all better players. I think he might have been a decent nickleback for us. Maybe he starts at safety his senior year.

justwin
03-27-2014, 09:28 PM
Yeah, I hear ya, but in HS, especially in MS, there's always one or two guys on the field who have "SEC" talent and, to me, that's what he had. I'm just very leery of throwing out "NFL" talent to a guy who never dominated in a D1 game despite ample opportunities. He had "SEC" or "D1" talent and I'm sure it was evident watching him play live in HS or Juco. Alot of SEC talent guys are like that in HS. I still think he stood out in HS b/c of the surrounding cast & pedigree of the school. Anyone whose watched a MS HS football game can identify those SEC type players. Would he have been as noticeable as he gone anywhere other than SP...I'm not sure. Then, you pool all of those HS players together on an SEC field and it becomes evident who has NFL talent as it normalizes. Did he play both ways his freshman year...he did. Would he have played both ways at any other SEC school besides the hometown school that sold everything just to get him on campus....No, he wouldn't have. And yes, I would've killed to have him sign with MSU as a CB which is most likely what our coaches told him he'd play. End of the day, I agree in that he's like so many other guys who had SEC talent and pissed it away.

Snoop's hype kind of reminds me of Nkemdiche @ OM last year. Was he physically superior to his peers in HS...without question. How did that translate to the SEC? he seemed average or slightly better, but you think about the attention and coaching (camp circuit, etc) he received his last several years of HS compared to a normal HS player & then you layer how much he played last year b/c that school sold their soul to get him, and his production was not overly impressive. Will he get drafted, of course...but it will be interesting to see if his production ever equals both his HS & college hype. I could be completely wrong on him, but I never saw him do things last year to warrant the hype.

I personally saw virtually every game of Snoop's HS career and kept a close eye on him at Mississippi. It's not urban myth to say he had NFL talent. He had plenty of speed and athleticism. And if you could throw it in his general vicinity, he'd go get it. You don't play well both ways in the SEC as a freshman unless you're a badass. I'd have killed for him to sign with State. I'm not saying Snoop would've been an NFL superstar, but he could've hung around as a quality #3 type WR, especially with the way the NFL has become such a pass happy game.

justwin
03-27-2014, 09:36 PM
I've really tried to take off my maroon glasses and question their production had they come to MSU and I genuinely concluded to agree with your first sentence. Mullen, without question, has proven repeatedly that his system works from every touch point. It's not being a homer, it's become a fact. They would've threatened to play professionally had they come to MSU. In retrospect, it was their best shot at playing in the NFL and all 4 of them blew it.

Tobias Manning is the wildcard to me. I almost think he was just really fast. I think his hands must be shit or something. He seemed to have the body too. Of the 4, he's the one who could've provided the biggest impact had he become a Mullen guy.

Isn't it hilarious that CJ went to a school with zero competition @ LB from day one and he couldn't even play LB there? We're talking from day 1. The move to DE was almost immediate. I've NEVER understood that move & yes no way in hell he becomes anything but a LB under Diaz or Collins.

Yeah, Whitehead had a serious amount of attention and after watching him play for 3 years, he's just been very unimpressive consistently. It's surprising b/c supposedly he's a smart kid so I would've thought the coaching would've been more minimal with him.

It's impossible to know how they would have turned out, but I do believe that had they come to MSU they would have had a LOT more success as football players. They wouldn't have had to deal with a coaching change first of all.

But I also think:

Singleton would have been no worse than number two and possibly started at slot WR- one of the marquee positions in Dan's offense. I say no worse than number two because Jameon is really good. I think he would have seen a lot of action even if he was the number two slot guy. Probably similar to Jameon's career.

Brassell I do think he had NFL talent, but I don't think he has NFL work ethic. Had he come to MSU, at the very least he would not have been able to stay in Batesville and that would have helped him immensely. I think Dan would have used him as a CB and maybe as a slot guy on occasion as well as letting him return kicks. CB would have been his ticket to the NFL IMO. He would have probably gotten along real well with Deshea Townsend and probably would have been in line to start opposite Jamerson Love, and had we redshirted him he probably starts opposite Tavese Calhoun.

CJ Johnson probably would still be a LB because no way our coaches let him get out of shape like he is at Ole Miss. He probably plays Deontae Skinner's old position had he come to MSU.

Whitehead I still have to believe he would have not panned out. I just think Calhoun, Cox, and Market are all better players. I think he might have been a decent nickleback for us. Maybe he starts at safety his senior year.

Todd4State
03-27-2014, 10:02 PM
Yeah, I hear ya, but in HS, especially in MS, there's always one or two guys on the field who have "SEC" talent and, to me, that's what he had. I'm just very leery of throwing out "NFL" talent to a guy who never dominated in a D1 game despite ample opportunities. He had "SEC" or "D1" talent and I'm sure it was evident watching him play live in HS or Juco. Alot of SEC talent guys are like that in HS. I still think he stood out in HS b/c of the surrounding cast & pedigree of the school. Anyone whose watched a MS HS football game can identify those SEC type players. Would he have been as noticeable as he gone anywhere other than SP...I'm not sure. Then, you pool all of those HS players together on an SEC field and it becomes evident who has NFL talent as it normalizes. Did he play both ways his freshman year...he did. Would he have played both ways at any other SEC school besides the hometown school that sold everything just to get him on campus....No, he wouldn't have. And yes, I would've killed to have him sign with MSU as a CB which is most likely what our coaches told him he'd play. End of the day, I agree in that he's like so many other guys who had SEC talent and pissed it away.

Snoop's hype kind of reminds me of Nkemdiche @ OM last year. Was he physically superior to his peers in HS...without question. How did that translate to the SEC? he seemed average or slightly better, but you think about the attention and coaching (camp circuit, etc) he received his last several years of HS compared to a normal HS player & then you layer how much he played last year b/c that school sold their soul to get him, and his production was not overly impressive. Will he get drafted, of course...but it will be interesting to see if his production ever equals both his HS & college hype. I could be completely wrong on him, but I never saw him do things last year to warrant the hype.

In football so much of it is your supporting cast. It's maybe the ultimate team sport because everyone is so dependent on everyone else. How would Brassell have looked with Dak/Tyler throwing him the ball as opposed to Zack Stoudt and Barry Brunetti?

They were all on a horrible team that got blown out by Louisiana Tech and didn't win a SEC game and on top of that there was the expectation that they would all come in and immediately "turn it around"- and I think not being redshirted/developed/being in a winning culture all really stunted their careers. Which is why a player with NFL talent might not have looked all that good.

Todd4State
03-27-2014, 10:08 PM
I've really tried to take off my maroon glasses and question their production had they come to MSU and I genuinely concluded to agree with your first sentence. Mullen, without question, has proven repeatedly that his system works from every touch point. It's not being a homer, it's become a fact. They would've threatened to play professionally had they come to MSU. In retrospect, it was their best shot at playing in the NFL and all 4 of them blew it.

Tobias Manning is the wildcard to me. I almost think he was just really fast. I think his hands must be shit or something. He seemed to have the body too. Of the 4, he's the one who could've provided the biggest impact had he become a Mullen guy.

Isn't it hilarious that CJ went to a school with zero competition @ LB from day one and he couldn't even play LB there? We're talking from day 1. The move to DE was almost immediate. I've NEVER understood that move & yes no way in hell he becomes anything but a LB under Diaz or Collins.

Yeah, Whitehead had a serious amount of attention and after watching him play for 3 years, he's just been very unimpressive consistently. It's surprising b/c supposedly he's a smart kid so I would've thought the coaching would've been more minimal with him.

Singleton is fast and he does have the body- which is why he was considered a top end slot WR amongst the other slot WR's in the state on every street corner. Plus he played at one of the top 6A programs in the state on top of all of that. He was one of JSU's top WR's last year- I think second on the team. And he should be one of their top WR's again his senior year since I think they will run a pass first spread. I'm not sold on him being a NFL player, and honestly I don't think he is- but I do think he would have been a very solid college player for us. For him to go to the NFL he is going to have to dominate the SWAC, do well in the all-star circuit and have a good combine.

I'm not sure why Whitehead got all the hype he did. I assume he may have gone to camps and got noticed but when the laundry all came out of the wash he is still a SEC role player at the end of the day.