PDA

View Full Version : Issue with a new or renovated baseball stadium

bulldogcountry1
03-27-2014, 07:56 AM
A couple of things lately have increased my concern over what might possibly happen with a new stadium (especially) or a renovation of DNF. The main thing is that it will become the yellow pages.

We are already seeing what we have to do to pay for a brick wall and a few stickers. While there are many other teams who have a lot more ads in their park, I always thought we were better than than. I could accept a few key ads by the scoreboard, but I didn't want the place looking like Talladega. I guess the question is are we going to be able to avoid it after a major project? I don't think we will. If it means the difference between bargain upgrades and the best college park in the nation, then I can deal with it. I just don't think I can accept naming the park after a sponsor.

Esmerelda Villalobos
03-27-2014, 08:06 AM
It wont be because we need the money. I was told they can make a few calls and have the stadium paid for. That isnt even a concern.

AROB44
03-27-2014, 08:42 AM
It wont be because we need the money. I was told they can make a few calls and have the stadium paid for. That isnt even a concern.

If that is the case, what are they waiting on?

Esmerelda Villalobos
03-27-2014, 08:44 AM

Ummm, maybe a design?

engie
03-27-2014, 08:53 AM

Still in the design phase. They aren't going to unveil it until they have a rough outline of how it will actually look -- and we don't yet have that, although there are numerous sketches and "prototypes" at this point...

Esmerelda Villalobos
03-27-2014, 08:59 AM
Still in the design phase. They aren't going to unveil it until they have a rough outline of how it will actually look -- and we don't yet have that, although there are numerous sketches and "prototypes" at this point...

They will unveil it this summer. I expect us to be in the new stadium 2.5 years later.

engie
03-27-2014, 09:02 AM
They will unveil it this summer. I expect us to be in the new stadium 2.5 years later.

YI think your timetable may be a little ambitious... but hopefully that is correct and they are fast-tracking.

Would be tremendous to unveil it at a June home regional if we take care of business and host...

dickiedawg
03-27-2014, 09:03 AM
A couple of things lately have increased my concern over what might possibly happen with a new stadium (especially) or a renovation of DNF. The main thing is that it will become the yellow pages.

We are already seeing what we have to do to pay for a brick wall and a few stickers. While there are many other teams who have a lot more ads in their park, I always thought we were better than than. I could accept a few key ads by the scoreboard, but I didn't want the place looking like Talladega. I guess the question is are we going to be able to avoid it after a major project? I don't think we will. If it means the difference between bargain upgrades and the best college park in the nation, then I can deal with it. I just don't think I can accept naming the park after a sponsor.

I would have NO PROBLEM with a park named after a sponsor. It will always be Dudy Noble Field, even if it's Dudy Noble Field at Farm Bureau Park or Cadence Bank Stadium or Mississippi Department of Highway Safety/Bullock Toyota Baseballplex. (The latter would really be a mouthful, though Baseballplex is kind of a fun word).

ETA: Assuming we get a hefty sum for the naming rights. Also, CSpire Park could be an option as well.

Esmerelda Villalobos
03-27-2014, 09:07 AM
YI think your timetable may be a little ambitious... but hopefully that is correct and they are fast-tracking.

Would be tremendous to unveil it at a June home regional if we take care of business and host...

I think Im right on the money ;)

bulldogcountry1
03-27-2014, 09:24 AM

I don't know how much money we are talking about here, but I assume well over $30 mil. Are you telling me we can get that much money easily?

Esmerelda Villalobos
03-27-2014, 09:25 AM
It wont be well over 30....and yes

engie
03-27-2014, 09:30 AM
If it won't be well over $30 -- that bodes poorly for the idea of building the best college baseball has ever seen... And also bodes poorly for the idea of a brand new, open concourse stadium...

Esmerelda Villalobos
03-27-2014, 09:32 AM
Just let it play out engie

engie
03-27-2014, 09:52 AM
That's pretty difficult to do given the context of what you are saying -- when I've spent years painstakingly advocating for building the BEST -- every step I've advocated has been taken thusfar -- and we could be(according to your numbers) botching it at the final stages and coming up well short of that goal.

Alex Box was about $34.5 million.
Carolina Stadium was about $36 million.
And we've seen some pretty significant inflation and higher building costs since then...

Both were built on new sites -- so there is additional cost on the playing surface, parking, etc...but less cost on demolition of the existing structure, making it roughly a wash IMO...

If we don't spend well north of $30 mil, there is very little chance that we build "the best stadium college baseball has ever seen". Just not feasible.

bulldogcountry1
03-27-2014, 09:56 AM
Trustmark Park: 28 mil
Autozone Park: 80 mil
Bluebell Park (renovation): 24 mil
Alex Box: 38 mil

If we build a new stadium for less than 30 mil, we will have a pile of garbage. We couldn't replicate DNF for 30 mil.

Dawghouse
03-27-2014, 09:57 AM

It took us 6 months to design a building for our church before we let anyone in the congregation see it. And this was a standard rectangle building with a few touches here and there. I'd imagine it's going to take a little longer for them to release the design of a brand new stadium for the Mecca of College Baseball.

You cannot release it early or before you are pretty damn confident that what you are about to release is real close to the finished product.

Original48
03-27-2014, 10:00 AM
I would have NO PROBLEM with a park named after a sponsor. It will always be Dudy Noble Field, even if it's Dudy Noble Field at Farm Bureau Park or Cadence Bank Stadium or Mississippi Department of Highway Safety/Bullock Toyota Baseballplex.
PLUS Ron Polk finally gets his wish of having his name removed from the stadium! Everybody wins!!!

bulldogcountry1
03-27-2014, 10:03 AM
PLUS Ron Polk finally gets his wish of having his name removed from the stadium! Everybody wins!!!

Unless it's "Polk Meat Products Park".

The Croom Diaries
03-27-2014, 10:17 AM
I think it would be a good thing to re-brand the stadium. Get rid of DNF, Polk-Dement and all such names thereby getting rid of lifetime seating contracts. I'd like to completely rebuild but at least I hope we do enough construction that we can just call it an entirely different stadium...even if that means a corporate sponsored name on it.

Esmerelda Villalobos
03-27-2014, 10:25 AM
I think it would be a good thing to re-brand the stadium. Get rid of DNF, Polk-Dement and all such names thereby getting rid of lifetime seating contracts. I'd like to completely rebuild but at least I hope we do enough construction that we can just call it an entirely different stadium...even if that means a corporate sponsored name on it.

I dont mind re-naming the stadium but you dont change the name of the field. DNF is the most historic field in college baseball. Change the name of the stadium.

Original48
03-27-2014, 10:35 AM
I dont mind re-naming the stadium but you dont change the name of the field. DNF is the most historic field in college baseball. Change the name of the stadium.
I'm with this. Dudy Noble Field has way too much history and name recognition. But I'm sure half our own fan base couldn't tell you the name of our stadium.

TheRef
03-27-2014, 11:30 AM
I'm with this. Dudy Noble Field has way too much history and name recognition. But I'm sure half our own fan base couldn't tell you the name of our stadium.

True..very true. Everyone just says DNF, not PDS even though that has a special meaning to me weather-wise (PDS=Particulatly Dangerous Situation)

smootness
03-27-2014, 12:16 PM
I'm one who doesn't ever care about the number of sponsors or the amount of ads you can see, within reason. I hated when baseball tried to add them to the bases, and I don't really want them on jerseys, but on walls inside and outside the stadium? Sure. Naming the park after a sponsor? Go for it, if it helps.

I'm a Braves fan and wish we would rename Turner Field 'Coca-Cola Google McDonald's Field at AT&T Comcast Verizon Park, presented by Pepsi and Home Depot, with help from Toyota and Citibank' if it meant increasing the budget even a half million dollars.

Real Deal
03-27-2014, 12:30 PM
What I find hilarious is the number of people here that think they really know what's going on inside the AD. This thing isn't happening any time soon. The crowds back at DNF this year bear out the fact that we aren't in a desperate situation. It's not top priority, and doesn't need to be. Relocation is not an option, neither is getting rid of the name Dudy Noble Field.

I have also learned the majority of message board posters (on all boards) do not go to games at all. It's easy to spot those posters who watch Live Stats and have ridiculous opinions.

Pollodawg
03-27-2014, 01:25 PM
What I find hilarious is the number of people here that think they really know what's going on inside the AD. This thing isn't happening any time soon. The crowds back at DNF this year bear out the fact that we aren't in a desperate situation. It's not top priority, and doesn't need to be. Relocation is not an option, neither is getting rid of the name Dudy Noble Field.

I have also learned the majority of message board posters (on all boards) do not go to games at all. It's easy to spot those posters who watch Live Stats and have ridiculous opinions.

Not just a touch condescending, are we? Not everyone make every live game we play. Does that make them a bad fan.

State82
03-27-2014, 01:30 PM

Nice. I'm just gonna sit back and observe this.

Real Deal
03-27-2014, 01:32 PM
If they spew out uneducated opinions, yes. Everyone could learn a little bit from that.

On the condescending part, I'll save the empathetic listening for others. Hard to understand some of our fans' points of views when they are rooted in shit so far from reality, even Obama would be ashamed.

Esmerelda Villalobos
03-27-2014, 01:41 PM

Some do know. It is happening soon. We are having our best attendance in 15 years.

Im sure several posters can vouch for me. Im not "spewing" out made up BS.

ghostofjackie
03-27-2014, 01:44 PM

Nothing that you said in this entire post is anywhere close to legit. Nothing at all. Let me pick that post apart one by one.

"What I find hilarious is the number of people here that think they really know what's going on inside the AD. This thing isn't happening any time soon."

You find it hilarious that posters (which you are as well) claim to have inside information? And then you follow that up with your very own "insider information" that its not happening soon? That's novel of you

"The crowds back at DNF this year bear out the fact that we aren't in a desperate situation."

What does this even mean? Nobody claimed we are in a "desperate" situation, and if we were the crowds would still come out because we are a knowledgeable college baseball fan-base and we love our baseball. It's already been decided that we have the 5th best park in the SEC west. Far from desperate, but a baseball program like ours can do much better.

"It's not top priority, and doesn't need to be."

Even though Scott has stated numerous times that it is top priority. And if it doesn't need to be then what's more important once we finish the football upgrades? I'll wait.....

"Relocation is not an option, neither is getting rid of the name Dudy Noble Field."

O really? Considering we own more land than just about every land grant institution in the nation? Have you seen all the space we have on our campus? We have plenty of options. Even though I'm not completely set on moving at least we have options. You also have no idea how much power sponsorship will have on changing the name.

All in all, you just sound like a big dumbass.

Coach34
03-27-2014, 01:49 PM
What I find hilarious is the number of people here that think they really know what's going on inside the AD. .

What I find funny is that you have no idea what you are talking about- yet still post. We've got multiplepeople that are actually involved with the project that post here in stadium threads. I met one of the actual architects at the Liberty Bowl. This thing is moving forward

Real Deal
03-27-2014, 01:51 PM
I say you don't know what you're talking about, you say I don't know what I'm talking about, the circle goes on. But most of the things I say happen. What happens with yours? Oh yeah, Rick Ray.

ghostofjackie
03-27-2014, 01:52 PM
What I find funny is that you have no idea what you are talking about- yet still post. We've got multiplepeople that are actually involved with the project that post here in stadium threads. I met one of the actual architects at the Liberty Bowl. This thing is moving forward

But coach, we are not "desperate" enough yet and it shows with our large crowds. Therefore, it's not a top priority.

How ridiculous does that sound?

ghostofjackie
03-27-2014, 01:53 PM
It's pretty clear the poster who doesn't know what they are talking about. And I can guarantee that poster is NOT a former condom slinger.

TheRef
03-27-2014, 01:54 PM
But most of the things I say happen. What happens with yours? Oh yeah, Rick Ray.

Yeah...you and your 20 posts sure does give you a great history of things that have happened....

engie
03-27-2014, 01:55 PM
Yet it's likely to be unveiled in the coming months per Scott Stricklin's weekly chat session earlier this week which can easily be read right on the front page of this very board...

I love when people condemn others for talking out their ass, while talking out of their own ass**

ghostofjackie
03-27-2014, 01:57 PM
Yeah...you and your 20 posts sure does give you a great history of things that have happened....

Not true, he predicted that they would find more satellite images of wreckage today.

Five-tool Poster
03-27-2014, 01:57 PM

Stopped reading there.

Coach34
03-27-2014, 02:05 PM

RealDeal is Goat

engie
03-27-2014, 02:29 PM
RealDeal is Goat

So, he managed to fall off the wagon long enough to get banned from here? What a f'n moron.

Same guy that argued for years that the concrete of dnf was sacred and untouchable...

TheRef
03-27-2014, 02:34 PM
RealDeal is Goat

That explains a lot.

Maroons
03-27-2014, 03:41 PM
Back on topic ...

Please just take the ads off of everything. It's not a minor league park.

berr6728
03-27-2014, 06:54 PM
I hate to say it but ghost of Jackie you are the jackass.

bgdog
03-27-2014, 11:48 PM
The crowds back at DNF this year bear out the fact that we aren't in a desperate situation.

You renovate and improve when the excitement and money and momentum is there, not when attendance is shit.

Todd4State
03-28-2014, 01:43 AM
Yet it's likely to be unveiled in the coming months per Scott Stricklin's weekly chat session earlier this week which can easily be read right on the front page of this very board...

I love when people condemn others for talking out their ass, while talking out of their own ass**

Exactly. When I read his post, I was like "Didn't Scott just say that the drawing would be unveiled sometime this summer?"

This is hardly top secret info. MSU didn't hold meetings across the state with a freaking design team in tow if they didn't intend to do something pretty soon.

And as far as the 30 million- I do agree with you on that. But my hope is that the 30 million is for the grandstand and then more money will be used later on a second phase for things like the scoreboard.

Reading between the lines, I'm pretty sure Scott wants to keep Dudy-Noble Field where it is presently located if at all possible.

rrog17
03-28-2014, 07:25 AM
Building a whole new grandstand in the same location obviously means demolishing the existing structure. That project will take more than one year. Where we will play the season that this is going on?

TheRef
03-28-2014, 07:33 AM
Building a whole new grandstand in the same location obviously means demolishing the existing structure. That project will take more than one year. Where we will play the season that this is going on?

Well that depends on if we can get at least one level of grandstand up before the season. If we can do that, then we can technically have it at DNF again in the new grandstand...

bulldogcountry1
03-28-2014, 07:47 AM
I still say we should build a new one where the soccer field is. That way the school can get more for thier money by not damanding a rush job, and it's easier to put out soccer and their 16 fans than baseball and 5500 season ticket holders.

I don't see how we can rebuild at the existing site and end up with a modern, improved grandstand layout - especially if we expect to keep playing there during the construction.

WinningIsRelentless
03-28-2014, 07:48 AM
They can literally have the grandstands down in a matter of days.

Esmerelda Villalobos
03-28-2014, 08:09 AM

No it wont. Dnf wont be moved either.

engie
03-28-2014, 08:35 AM
No it wont. Dnf wont be moved either.

So, lipstick on the pig then?

ETA: I'm an idiot that misinterpreted this.

TheRef
03-28-2014, 08:46 AM

Not exactly. You can build a better stadium in the current location...

engie
03-28-2014, 08:52 AM
Not exactly. You can build a better stadium in the current location...

Yeah, I misinterpreted what he said as "the existing structure won't be torn down" -- when he actually meant that the stadium itself would simply be in that location and it would take less than a year to complete...

My bad Ennis...

War Machine Dawg
03-28-2014, 08:54 AM

I repeat: LT 2.0. If Stricklin manages to **** this up, he should be fired immediately. We'd literally be better off doing nothing than throwing money into the dump that DNF currently is.

Real Deal
03-28-2014, 09:03 AM
Preliminary design renderings are going to be shown in a few months. Absolutely zero design has been done. Nothing but preliminary planning. And even still, the drawings that are coming, you won't be able to take much from them. We are in the absolute VERY beginning of this, so again, don't expect a new stadium anytime soon.

Why is this so hard for you all to understand?

smootness
03-28-2014, 09:06 AM
I repeat: LT 2.0. If Stricklin manages to **** this up, he should be fired immediately. We'd literally be better off doing nothing than throwing money into the dump that DNF currently is.

You don't hire the team Stricklin did if your intention is to just spruce up DNF a bit. We're going to build a new grandstand - that is absolutely going to happen. Because it is only common sense to do so. Stricklin isn't stupid.

smootness
03-28-2014, 09:08 AM
Preliminary design renderings are going to be shown in a few months. Absolutely zero design has been done. Nothing but preliminary planning. And even still, the drawings that are coming, you won't be able to take much from them. We are in the absolute VERY beginning of this, so again, don't expect a new stadium anytime soon.

It depends on what you mean by 'soon'. If you mean that we shouldn't expect us to start tearing down DNF this summer, I'm pretty sure everyone knows that. If you mean that we shouldn't expect anything within the next 3 years, then I think you're crazy.

I think they will have a solid plan in place by the end of the 2015 season, then they will probably start work on tearing down/building pretty soon after that.

War Machine Dawg
03-28-2014, 09:10 AM
You don't hire the team Stricklin did if your intention is to just spruce up DNF a bit. We're going to build a new grandstand - that is absolutely going to happen. Because it is only common sense to do so. Stricklin isn't stupid.

I'd certainly love to think that. But he hasn't exactly inspired my confidence thus far.

ScoobaDawg
03-28-2014, 09:12 AM

Because people who are working on this project and others who have connections to others who are working on this project say otherwise.
Goat you're a crazy odd goofball who has been established over and over you have no idea what you are talking about. It's humorous at times but It sure was nice the break you gave us for a few weeks.

Real Deal
03-28-2014, 09:12 AM
Yeah, because you are certainly the perfect person to be passing judgement.

smootness
03-28-2014, 09:13 AM
I'd certainly love to think that. But he hasn't exactly inspired my confidence thus far.

But what has he done to lose your confidence? I feel like people just assume a lot of things about Stricklin, then bash him for those assumptions. He isn't cutting corners on Davis Wade, and I can't imagine he's going to cut corners on DNF. He has no history of doing so for us to point to.

Esmerelda Villalobos
03-28-2014, 09:16 AM

Village idiot. Id put odds of new dnf being ready by 2017 at just over 50%

Id put odds of new dnf being ready by 2018 at 100%.

Maybe that isnt quick enough for you. It is happening. It is happening soon. There are already prelim designs. Different designs will come soon. Yes, in the next 4 months, you will see what new dnf will look like. Obviously, certain small things change along the build process but it is happening.

Not sure why you are on this crusade. All your post tell me is you know absolutely nothing that is going on.

bulldogcountry1
03-28-2014, 09:28 AM
But what has he done to lose your confidence? I feel like people just assume a lot of things about Stricklin, then bash him for those assumptions. He isn't cutting corners on Davis Wade, and I can't imagine he's going to cut corners on DNF. He has no history of doing so for us to point to.

Sometimes I wonder if people who compare him to LT were even around during the LT days. I don't pretend to be in the know, but it's quite obvious that Sticklin is light years better than LT. LT didn't care what anyone outside of the the "cigar boys" thought. He had no vision. All he cared about was doing the minimum for the cheapest price.

With Stricklin, I at least feel ike I have a voice, whether I have money or not. He's very visual at events, he's in touch with technology and social media, and he listens. Is he great at selecting head coaches? I can't really answer that, but to compare him to compare him to LT is just insane.

Esmerelda Villalobos
03-28-2014, 09:33 AM
Strick is no LT. Not even close.

War Machine Dawg
03-28-2014, 10:21 AM
Sometimes I wonder if people who compare him to LT were even around during the LT days. I don't pretend to be in the know, but it's quite obvious that Sticklin is light years better than LT. LT didn't care what anyone outside of the the "cigar boys" thought. He had no vision. All he cared about was doing the minimum for the cheapest price.

With Stricklin, I at least feel ike I have a voice, whether I have money or not. He's very visual at events, he's in touch with technology and social media, and he listens. Is he great at selecting head coaches? I can't really answer that, but to compare him to compare him to LT is just insane.

He's not LT in terms of personality, tech, social media, etc. But I and several others see traces of the "poor ole MSU" mentality in him. Look no further than his comments just this week about money being a reason we hire assistant coaches instead of head coaches. If you can't see how that comment reeks of the LT mentality, I can't help you.

I'm far from convinced Stricklin has vision, as he really hasn't done anything that wasn't already at least conceived by Greg Byrne. And quite frankly, his hand was forced with DNF or I doubt we'd be seeing any action on this in the near future. Hell, we apparently can't even get some half-steps poured on the West side of the football stadium to solve the problem of those steep ass steps. And the hand rails made it worse, not better. He certainly hasn't shown the balls to stand up to the SEC the way Byrne did. We won't get into the hiring/firing part of his job, because I don't want this to become the 8 millionth Brick Ray pissing match thread. Our marketing hasn't really improved on his watch. The game day atmosphere of DWS has declined since he took over, with no real effort to improve it. And this is just off the top of my head.

Overall, I'd say Strick is a rich man's LT. I can live with him, but he's got to show me more at some point if I'm actually going to like him. The final plans of DNF will be a big factor for me personally.

Coach34
03-28-2014, 10:48 AM

Architect told me it would be a 2-phase project- build the grandstand 1st- play the season- then build the rest of the sourrounding areas

Coach34
03-28-2014, 10:54 AM
And I think new grandstand for 2017- project complete in 2018

BulldogBear
03-28-2014, 10:57 AM
Nah, I hate those big ol' mouthful type names. To be honest, in my mind, I still watch the dawgs play football at Scott Field. ***Where is Davis Wade Stadium?*** I HATE that the Scott Field part has been all but forgotten in television broadcasts. I do not want to see that happen at Dudy Noble Field. Keep the name UNCHANGED or the hell with a new stadium!

preachermatt83
03-28-2014, 10:58 AM
Architect told me it would be a 2-phase project- build the grandstand 1st- play the season- then build the rest of the sourrounding areas

exactly.

messageboardsuperhero
03-28-2014, 11:51 AM
Nah, I hate those big ol' mouthful type names. To be honest, in my mind, I still watch the dawgs play football at Scott Field. ***Where is Davis Wade Stadium?*** I HATE that the Scott Field part has been all but forgotten in television broadcasts. I do not want to see that happen at Dudy Noble Field. Keep the name UNCHANGED or the hell with a new stadium!

So you want to base a $35+ million dollar decision to build the best stadium in college baseball- that has TREMENDOUS impact on the program's long-term health- on what some TV announcer calls DNF in a broadcast? Yeah, that sounds good.*** Seriously, it would still be called Dudy Noble Field, but it just wouldn't be Polk-Dement Stadium anymore- which is more that fine by me after the way Polk has acted.

Honestly, the solution to tear down the grandstand is painfully obvious to 95% of the people who have put serious time into thinking about this. The only people who still think it's a good idea to keep the grandstand either A) have a terrible, irrational fear of any change, B) want to keep their seats for selfish reasons, or C) haven't really thought much into it and just assume anything more than a renovation would be a waste of money. The best thing for the health of MSU and the baseball program is to start over. Period.

As for where we play, I'd do a two-stage build as Coach says the architect told him. Put the essentials down first, then come back the next offseason and finish putting in the club level, skyboxes, finishing touches, etc. The good thing about open concourse is that this is relatively easily done.

bulldogcountry1
03-28-2014, 12:37 PM
I'm just curious how we would pull off an open councourse concept at the current site. If it is going to be ground level like Trustmark, then we'd have to lower the field surface 15-20 ft. If not, then it would have to be elevated, which seems massively expensive and not very practical.

messageboardsuperhero
03-28-2014, 01:08 PM
I'm just curious how we would pull off an open councourse concept at the current site. If it is going to be ground level like Trustmark, then we'd have to lower the field surface 15-20 ft. If not, then it would have to be elevated, which seems massively expensive and not very practical.

I'll tell you what's really impractical- spending $30 mil. putting lipstick on a pig and having a middle of the pack SEC West stadium, while we could spend $10 mil. more and have the best stadium in college baseball for the next 10 years. Especially when said new stadium would more than likely drastically increase our revenue, whereas a renovation still caps our revenue at a relatively low level compared to what we could make because of the lifetime seats. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if starting over was actually CHEAPER in the long run compared to a grandstand renovation.

Now THAT'S impractical.

BulldogBear
03-28-2014, 01:25 PM
So you want to base a $35+ million dollar decision to build the best stadium in college baseball- that has TREMENDOUS impact on the program's long-term health- on what some TV announcer calls DNF in a broadcast? Yeah, that sounds good.*** Seriously, it would still be called Dudy Noble Field, but it just wouldn't be Polk-Dement Stadium anymore- which is more that fine by me after the way Polk has acted.

Honestly, the solution to tear down the grandstand is painfully obvious to 95% of the people who have put serious time into thinking about this. The only people who still think it's a good idea to keep the grandstand either A) have a terrible, irrational fear of any change, B) want to keep their seats for selfish reasons, or C) haven't really thought much into it and just assume anything more than a renovation would be a waste of money. The best thing for the health of MSU and the baseball program is to start over. Period.

As for where we play, I'd do a two-stage build as Coach says the architect told him. Put the essentials down first, then come back the next offseason and finish putting in the club level, skyboxes, finishing touches, etc. The good thing about open concourse is that this is relatively easily done.
I'm all for renovating or rebuilding. I'm just expressing the same frustration at rampant commercialization as plenty of others are!

messageboardsuperhero
03-28-2014, 01:35 PM
I'm all for renovating or rebuilding. I'm just expressing the same frustration at rampant commercialization as plenty of others are!

I don't like the commercialization either, but people need to realize that this is going on everywhere. Have you seen Alex Box Stadium? All their ads make us look like amateurs. Baum Stadium has a lot of ads too. Texas A&M? They named their damn stadium Blue Bell Park. It's not like this is only an MSU thing. In fact, compared to other places, it's not too bad at all here. Love it or hate it, this is just the way college sports is these days- it's a business.

http://image2.stadiumjourney.com/images/stadiums/1203_Outfield_Seats_at_Alex_Box_Stadium.jpg

http://www.arkansas.com/images/photos/full/Baum_Stadium_Fayetteville_tgs_8519.jpg

sandwolf
03-28-2014, 02:28 PM
RealDeal is Goat

Haha, what did he do to get banned this time?

engie
03-28-2014, 02:42 PM

We wouldn't have to do as much as you think really...
New Alex Box is an above-ground open-concourse example.

I like keeping the stadium mostly above ground for the intimidation factor from a distance -- although it stands to reason that it would definitely cost more...

smootness
03-28-2014, 02:43 PM
He's not LT in terms of personality, tech, social media, etc. But I and several others see traces of the "poor ole MSU" mentality in him. Look no further than his comments just this week about money being a reason we hire assistant coaches instead of head coaches. If you can't see how that comment reeks of the LT mentality, I can't help you.

Perhaps it's just reality on some level? It's one thing for fans to say, 'We aren't poor ol' State anymore, we need to pay what everyone else does'. But the ADs have to actually be concerned with the money because you can't spend what you don't have.

And I still think everyone misread his comments (or Stricklin didn't answer it well, whichever way you want to define it) about hiring assistant coaches. I don't think he was saying, 'We are going to make a cheaper hire because I want to save money'. I think he was saying that hiring HCs has not statistically proven to be more of a guarantee of success than hiring ACs. So given that, it makes sense for State (who is still behind the schools we compete with for the most part in available funds) to spend less on the front end, then wait to see what we have before we throw more money at it.

Does it do us any good to spend $2 million for a HC rather than $1 million for an AC when the HC has no better chance to succeed than the AC? No. But that doesn't mean we won't spend $2 million or more on the AC once it's clear he's the man for the job. It's not being cheap, it's being smart to give us the best chance of success competing against those with more resources.

War Machine Dawg
03-28-2014, 03:32 PM
Perhaps it's just reality on some level? It's one thing for fans to say, 'We aren't poor ol' State anymore, we need to pay what everyone else does'. But the ADs have to actually be concerned with the money because you can't spend what you don't have.

And I still think everyone misread his comments (or Stricklin didn't answer it well, whichever way you want to define it) about hiring assistant coaches. I don't think he was saying, 'We are going to make a cheaper hire because I want to save money'. I think he was saying that hiring HCs has not statistically proven to be more of a guarantee of success than hiring ACs. So given that, it makes sense for State (who is still behind the schools we compete with for the most part in available funds) to spend less on the front end, then wait to see what we have before we throw more money at it.

Does it do us any good to spend $2 million for a HC rather than $1 million for an AC when the HC has no better chance to succeed than the AC? No. But that doesn't mean we won't spend $2 million or more on the AC once it's clear he's the man for the job. It's not being cheap, it's being smart to give us the best chance of success competing against those with more resources.

Until recently, you'd have been spot on about us not having the cash to pay for proven HCs. But as Engie has shown repeatedly here, we're about to be have one of the top 25 athletic budgets in the entire nation. If you'd told me that even just 10 years ago, I'd have laughed at you. As a 3rd generation MSU alum, who had to suffer with LT as our AD for over 2/3s of my life, that type of athletic budget was incomprehensible to me. I get that we're still a "have not" compared to some of the other SEC schools. Hell, aTm is dropping half a billion just on a stadium reno. Believe me, I get it.

But there was a time we were a have not on the level of LA Tech, USM, and directional LA. We aren't there anymore, either. We're no longer in the position of being forced to gamble on an assistant based purely on economics. I'm not against hiring an assistant, if he's the right guy for the job and wins the process. But let's make sure we're looking hard at successful HCs, too. That's the thing I'm saying and I think people need to understand. We're now a national heavyweight, even if we're only 6-8 in our conference. I'm still struggling to wrap my mind around that. Next time our position is open, we should at least take a shot at poaching a solid mid-tier HC before jumping straight into the AC pool of candidates.

Coach34
03-28-2014, 03:34 PM
Haha, what did he do to get banned this time?

Not sure what the final straw was- Scooba popped him this time