PDA

View Full Version : The curmudgeon cares about women's sports: Fire the Volleyball Coach Edition

curmudgeon
03-25-2014, 03:05 PM
The Ref and others think that I am a bad fan because I don't care about the Women's NIT. To prove that I am a fan knowledgable of what is going on at MSU and supportive of all programs, I am going to pretend to care about our volleyball program.

Guys, our volleyball program is in dire straits. We are the laughing stock of the SEC, which is not really respected in volleyball to begin with. Now, we have an MSU alum that is married to a MSU football great at the helm, but its obvious that she is way over her head when it comes to coaching an SEC Volleyball Program.

How bad are we?

Last year, we went 12-20 and 3-15 in the SEC. Would we be happy if men's basketball put up similar numbers? No, we would be concerned and would want a change if not now, then next year.

Maybe its an anomaly. We can't be that bad, can we?

Two years ago, we were even worse. 4-25 and 0-20 in the SEC. (and had our best player quit in the middle of the season)F
Three years ago, 12-17, 7-13
Four years ago, 11-20, 3-17

So over the past four seasons, our volleyball team is 39-82 overall and 13-65 in the SEC. If we care about women's sports, we should be demanding that we search for a new coach today.

Brahmabull
03-25-2014, 03:16 PM
But you see, she isn't allowed to recruit the AAU volleyball circuit***

bully99
03-25-2014, 04:07 PM
Curmudgeon, I think the problems are much deeper than just losing. I have seen several former players tweeting in the last several months about all the players transferring. The top 3 freshmen who came last fall all transferred after only one semester at State. I've seen stories that as many as two dozen players have left in the last couple of years. The stories I've heard is there are serious problems with Hazelwood. Not recruiting well and then all the transfers.

preachermatt83
03-25-2014, 04:11 PM
some of us have been calling for change there, and there is about to be very soon.

Todd4State
03-25-2014, 04:19 PM
I'd like to keep Hazlewood around so that her husband can help our kickers on the side.

preachermatt83
03-25-2014, 04:26 PM
I'd like to keep Hazlewood around so that her husband can help our kickers on the side.

somebody needs to

TheRef
03-25-2014, 06:10 PM
Curmudgeon, now don't be putting words in my mouth. I never said you didn't like women's sports. I simply asked a question and provided information that was available to my mental memory. You're the one that called me a "dumbass" for not knowing that the WNIT didn't seed teams like every other tournament. I'm glad to see you're taking a stand with a sport. Never doubted you for a second, curmudgeon.

Dawg61
03-25-2014, 06:57 PM
MSU should add a beach volleyball team and let some of the girls play on both teams. Beach Volleyball is growing and I think there's only around 20 schools that have teams.

curmudgeon
03-25-2014, 07:01 PM
I called you a dumbs for stating something as a fact when you knew it was equine scatology.

I'm taking a stand with a sport. I will not rest until the volleyball coach is replaced.

In reality, I don't care. Let her stay for 30 years if she wants to.

Westdawg
03-25-2014, 07:18 PM
The main problem with MSU volleyball is the near complete lack of recruiting base within and directly around the state of MS. TN, AL, and GA have "decent" HS volleyball but MS has near to absolute zero. You don't see really great HS volleyball until you start to head west across TX and further west
I coach football in NM, and the level of talent out here is crazy good. I have seen at least 12-15 players that could have started over most all of MSU team this year. I remember in college going to watch MUW volleyball play one time and met a couple girls in that team from NM. If the W can recruit that far away, then surely ours can too. I actually have a friend that heard about the asst coaching position open on the MSU staff but after looking at the state of the program said heck no.
I like the Hazelwoods, but there are two big issues with our team:
1 - near absolute zero recruiting base, and probably not a big enough budget to effectively recruit far from home, which is a PRIORITY with this sport
2 - continued attrition yearly. I think this issue is two-fold. First there may be an issue with our HC. second , I believe a lot of our girls are so far from home they may not like it....and more than likely, they are not used to the demands that major level college vb requires and expects in order to be successful.
I dont think it is any one thing, but rather a combination of several of these listed and probably more. I think Jenny wants what is best for MSU but there are some major issues here.
If there is someone on here from that program reading this, please message me I got lots of contacts within the state of NM HS coaching and the state athletic association who would love to send some recruits our way.

curmudgeon
03-25-2014, 09:08 PM
West speaks truth.

In my opinion, the emergence of softball as white girl's sport in the Southern states hurt volleyball more than anything. You see than in less than 20 years, the SEC has gone from softball being a brand new sport to having eight teams in the Top 25 and competing nationally. With the exception of Florida (and now Missouri), volleyball just hasn't been good. If you remember the early days of MSU softball, almost everyone on the team was from the West coast. Now you are starting to see a few Mississippians and other southerners, but almost every high school in the state has softball and there are less than 35 that even play volleyball.

Money for recruiting isn't the problem. We have a coach that's over her head and the rest of the SEC knows it. MSU Volleyball might be the worst SEC program of any sport. Just being in the SEC and being a large enough university to offer most every major should be worth 10 wins and we should dominate most mid-major programs with few exceptions. We don't

Attrition in the volleyball program makes Stans look good. Seriously, our best player just walked out on us, Dontae Walker style. From what I hear, it should have been an immediate firing of Jenny Hazelwood for that incident alone. When you factor in the other players that have left, there is no question. The only thing I can figure is that the AD just doesn't care. We're to the point where MSU is poison in the AAU volleyball circles and no decent player will consider us. The longer we keep her around, the program will just go from bad to worse.

Look at this quote: https://www.cdispatch.com/msusports/article.asp?aid=19340

"When she comes in and says I used to love volleyball and she doesn't anymore because of me, that's not something any coach wants to hear."

That's what players are saying about our coach.

grinnindawg
03-25-2014, 09:26 PM
It's not the first time our best player has walked out.

The problem is not the recruiting base.

esplanade91
03-25-2014, 10:44 PM
When I was in high school (not that long ago) the volleyball was entirely made up of softball players, and we went far in the playoffs each year in both. Softball was the priority, but most of those girls were superb in volleyball... Took softball scholarships or up and quit both when they went to college.

I knew some of the girls who had quit the volleyball team at State when I was there and after talking to them I think it was 75% not liking Hazelwood, 25% wanting to have a normal college experience once they saw the commitment and had gone out and saw what they were missing out on.

We have no problem getting Texans to come to MSU... Just need shake things up. Even if Hazelwood isn't entirely the problem, it allows a clean break and it sends a message to prospects that they won't go 0-20 if they come here.

Westdawg
03-26-2014, 07:50 AM
There is definitely a common theme with most all who have played for her. Now, as a coach I am ok if my players don't like me but they respond individually as collectively. Buy when they all just up and quit, there is something up. A few can as do always quit, but this is continually happening. Maybe Hazelwoods is recruiting players with poor work ethic and/or attitude or character issues. But I think it lies deeper than that.

MafiaDawg
03-26-2014, 09:28 AM
This should absolutely be last thing on Scott's give a shit list. I can't think of a MSU sport that matters less and get less national attention than women's volleyball. We are literally in the worst state in America for volleyball. Sometimes it's just not going to matter what you do.

dogshiek
03-26-2014, 09:38 AM
Hud!

Westdawg
03-26-2014, 10:38 AM
This should absolutely be last thing on Scott's give a shit list. I can't think of a MSU sport that matters less and get less national attention than women's volleyball. We are literally in the worst state in America for volleyball. Sometimes it's just not going to matter what you do.

See, I cannot except that as a legitimate answer. I realize that it will be hard to recruit to MSU volleyball, but let's not deceive ourselves into thinking that we cannot be at the least respectable.
When i interviewed for the position I have in our school district, the consensus amongst the administrators was that the program would never be good. They had accepted mediocrity, and as a result, got even less than that. I told them that I knew I could grow the program, and increase participation as well as make us competitive at the state level. I am now in my 4th year here. There were 32 in my first group, 60 in the second and right at 70 the past two years. They allowed me to lead the direction of our junior high programs last year, as well. Our junior high program had on average 20-25 kids. The 8th grade class is the only one we have not recruited well with. there are 24 in it. There are 50 in 7th, 60 in the 6th, and already have 88 signed up for next year's 6th grade.
Our high school placed 4th last year. The only ones who ended ranked ahead of us are the past three state champions. The administration is stunned at the amount of student involvement AND success the programs have gained.
Bottom line is this: the administration can continue to ignore it to the point that Hazelwood will not be able to even field a team due to attrition and lack of wanting to come to the program, or they can address it. Maybe she just needs to be told that what has been happening will no longer work. Sometimes, coaches need to be brought in and make it known to them. Light a fire under their butts. She might take it, then again she might not accept it. However, the AD not taking it seriously is not good. You cannot, as the head of athletics, tell one coach that they got to correct things, while not telling that to others. You have to take that approach with all sports. If Stricklin doesnt, then there is a problem at the top. I do know that Hazelwood is looking for a new asst coach, and the position has still not been filled after a few months of it being open. This is the time of year when you should be able to find an asst wanting to move up or change of scenery. But it still isnt filled yet. That doesn't look good either.

Dawg61
03-26-2014, 11:15 AM
I like your enthusiasm. Sounds like Hazelwood needs some help. I talked to a family last year that has a highly recruited HS volleyball player and they wanted her to go to a school that would let her play on both the volleyball and beach volleyball programs. If MSU adds beach volleyball it'll open new doors for some recruits.

Fred Garvin
03-26-2014, 12:09 PM
It's not the first time our best player has walked out.

The problem is not the recruiting base.

It is when you are competing against schools that have great recruiting bases (e.g., UGA, UK, UTK, Mizzou, A&M and UF)