PDA

View Full Version : Reid Humphries and Daniel Garner

SouthMsDawg
03-25-2014, 02:23 PM
Is there any way possible that we can work these two freshmen into our lineup? Both have TONS of upside and potential (especially Reid) I just hope they aren't getting discouraged and thinking about transferring.

MSstateBaseball, Todd, Engie, thoughts............

Coach34
03-25-2014, 02:28 PM
Garner is a DH and that's it. Hard to find somewhere for him to play

We are a better team this season with Britton at 3rd and Detz DH'ing than we are with Humphries playing. Just fact. Next year he will be more ready to play. You really don't want to start true freshmen if you can help it.

SouthMsDawg
03-25-2014, 02:34 PM
Garner is a DH and that's it. Hard to find somewhere for him to play

We are a better team this season with Britton at 3rd and Detz DH'ing than we are with Humphries playing. Just fact. Next year he will be more ready to play. You really don't want to start true freshmen if you can help it.

You say that, but there are supposedly already some rumblings about Humphries not being happy over his lack of PT and it would be a damn shame to lose this kid with so much potential.

Britton has played good defensively at 3rd but remember hes batting around the Mendoza line and strikes out a TON.

Gotta be tough for Garner as well after redshirting last year and having a great fall. I hope neither of these kids transfers.

The same can be said for Joey Swinarski.

bulldogcountry1
03-25-2014, 02:39 PM
They definitely need to be PHing more late in games as opposed to the Canadians.

Detz is starting to wake up, but we have got to have more production from our DH than <.250. We already have a pretty anemic lineup with our best defensive setup. We need pop out of that slot.

Coach34
03-25-2014, 02:53 PM
Britton is an All-SEC glove at 3rd base and his OBP is .439...he has still only had 28 official AB's- he likely gets better with more AB's. Britton has scored 10 runs already this season- that's what having a high OBP does for you. I dont want people on my team that like sitting on the bench- but it's a hard lesson for all talented youngsters.

And FYI- Humphries has struck out 6 times in 24 total AB's- 25%...Britton 9 times in 41 total AB's- 22%....Humphries is striking out at a higher rate

SouthMsDawg
03-25-2014, 03:02 PM
I just want us to have more production offensive and I know that Humphries and Garner have the pop in their bats we need. Im starting to see more out of Heck and hope to see more from Britton but you can't use the 17 runs vs Vandy as an example b/c they walked 9 hit 2 had catchers interference and made 5 errors.

I want to have somebody on the team who has gap power and can hit a HR once ever 10 games.

Coach34
03-25-2014, 03:12 PM
I just want us to have more production offensive and I know that Humphries and Garner have the pop in their bats we need. Im starting to see more out of Heck and hope to see more from Britton but you can't use the 17 runs vs Vandy as an example b/c they walked 9 hit 2 had catchers interference and made 5 errors.

I want to have somebody on the team who has gap power and can hit a HR once ever 10 games.

I love it- you want more pop and are completely willing to make us worse defensively so that we can give up more runs for more pop. But you cant count the great weekend we had against one of the best pitching staffs in the nation because it doesnt fit what you want.

It's 2014 in college baseball Bundy- nobody is going to hit HR's at Dudy-Noble Field anymore- especially on SEC weekends with quality pitching on the mound. I want Britton to hit better and hopefully he will improve. I want Humphries to hit better also and to learn how to play SEC defense- but he isnt there yet either. With today's bats in college baseball- go with the defense every time.

Irondawg
03-25-2014, 03:21 PM
I'm sure freshman get frustrated but they are an injury away from a lot of AB's this year and next year probably project for a lot more PT

smootness
03-25-2014, 03:24 PM
State fans worry about players transferring more than I think any other fanbase in America.

Humphries grew up a State fan, never considered playing anywhere else, and should be in line to start next year, if not later this year. I would be shocked if he transferred.

Garner could be a candidate to transfer, especially if Britton sticks at 3rd and Humphries DH's next year (although my guess is that Humphries takes over at 1st). But if you aren't starting somewhere by your 3rd year, even though he would be a sophomore, then a transfer may be best for all parties.

Swinarski had to know it would be tough for him to get a ton of playing time on a team that played for the national title last year as what amounts to a Sr in HS. He came to college early to get his clock started early, not to play right away.

We heard rumblings about the Canadians transferring last year as well, yet they're still here and should challenge to start next year. Players are never going to be happy that they aren't getting playing time, but most of them in baseball understand the big picture and don't transfer after their freshman year.

We're going to be fine. We need to put the best team possible on the field every game and let those not playing know that we will play the best; the last thing you want to do is play a younger guy who isn't quite as ready over someone better right now because he has more potential or because he's upset over playing time. That's where you run into problems. If you create an atmosphere that rewards hard work and improvement, you're going to be better off by far in the long run.

Esmerelda Villalobos
03-25-2014, 03:35 PM
Garner will play 1b over wes next year?

messageboardsuperhero
03-25-2014, 03:36 PM
Why in the hell would Humphreys transfer? Please explain that one to me. He grew up a State fan, is just in his freshman year of college, and is almost 100% guaranteed to start next year. People shouldn't flip out about freshmen not getting PT- in most good programs, freshmen don't play much at all unless they are Alex Bregman good.

As for Garner, he needs to find a place defensively. DH does open up next year, so he could definitely win that job.

For this year, while Humphreys is still learning the ropes, playing Britton 3rd gives us our best chance to win games. It's that simple.

Homedawg
03-25-2014, 03:37 PM

I think they are going on the assumption someone will draft rea and he'll be gone no matter the round. I don't know what it will take but it's possible for sure.

HancockCountyDog
03-25-2014, 03:38 PM

Wes will be going pro. He has been at MSU 4 years - its last year of draft eligibility before his senior year, where they get nothing if they get drafted.

Homedawg
03-25-2014, 03:39 PM
Why in the hell would Humphreys transfer? Please explain that one to me. He grew up a State fan, is just in his freshman year of college, and is almost 100% guaranteed to start next year. People shouldn't flip out about freshmen not getting PT- in most good programs, freshmen don't play much at all unless they are Alex Bregman good.

As for Garner, he needs to find a place defensively. DH does open up next year, so he could definitely win that job.

For this year, while Humphreys is still learning the ropes, playing Britton 3rd gives us our best chance to win games. It's that simple.

The part about giving us the best chance to win is it. And that's all that matters. If feelings and egos get hurt bc of it, so be it. Winning is what matters and we need the defense.

smootness
03-25-2014, 03:42 PM

I was talking about Humphreys, and I'm assuming Rea is gone after this year.

bully99
03-25-2014, 03:51 PM
What angers me is even when we are up 15 runs he doesn't even give the bench players an at bat. You had rea going from first to third and sliding into third up 15. That's just crazy. Should have been out of the game. All the great managers have said over the years you have to keep the team engaged and ready to play. When you get in Cohen's doghouse you have a hard time playing. Cohen is a ruthless guy and it's why you've heard rumors of players who don't like to play for Cohen. You guys can hate on me all you want, but that crap will catch up to Cohen.

Cohen is helped by the rule change a few years ago that transfers to D1 schools have to sit out a year or I think you would see a lot more guy's leaving. My opinion, so start the hate.

Real Deal
03-25-2014, 03:55 PM
Basically all you've accomplished with this post is showing the whole world that number one, you are a woe is us why would anybody want to be us MSU fan, and two, that you don't know anything about our team.

You play to your strengths. Power is not going to be a strength even if Garner and Humphreys played every game. Pitching and defense wins championships in this day and age of college baseball. That may change next year and guess what? Garner, Humphreys, Swinarski, Collins will all be starting next year.

Look, MSU is a high level baseball school, if they want to transfer, let them go. We'll find replacements. You are worrying about nothing and I find that irritating. Truth.

Todd4State
03-25-2014, 03:57 PM
When Detz was struggling, it made sense to put Garner and Humphreys in. Right now with Detz hitting well- I believe he is hitting something like .360 in SEC play going off the top off my head so don't quote me on that- there is no reason to sit Detz. I like Humphreys, but Britton is better defensively at third base.

I think Garner might replace Rea at first base next year. Cole Gordon, Brent Rooker, and Dylan Ingram will all get a chance in the fall with Garner probably having the edge. He could replace Detz at DH as well.

Humphreys will play somewhere next year and probably start- likely in the outfield. I think we move Vickerson to CF and then Humphreys will play one of the corner spots. Britton will probably stay at third base, and no I don't think he will go pro next year. I doubt he wil transfer out.

On a sidenote- Cohen is not going to allow a player to hold him hostage by threatening to transfer. Allowing said player to play would be a recipe for disaster. Not saying that Humphreys is. I'm talking about anyone.

In SEC baseball, in general you are better off playing upper classmen. Hudson, Sexton, Tatum, Houston, Collins, Garner, Humphreys, Rooker and Swinarski- all will be very good players for us, but none are playing very much at this time. They will have their time- it wasn't that long ago that Wes Rea was redshirting, Britton was on the bench, Demarcus was redshirting and was on the bench, and etc.

Todd4State
03-25-2014, 04:16 PM
What angers me is even when we are up 15 runs he doesn't even give the bench players an at bat. You had rea going from first to third and sliding into third up 15. That's just crazy. Should have been out of the game. All the great managers have said over the years you have to keep the team engaged and ready to play. When you get in Cohen's doghouse you have a hard time playing. Cohen is a ruthless guy and it's why you've heard rumors of players who don't like to play for Cohen. You guys can hate on me all you want, but that crap will catch up to Cohen.

Cohen is helped by the rule change a few years ago that transfers to D1 schools have to sit out a year or I think you would see a lot more guy's leaving. My opinion, so start the hate.

Well, Tim Corbin had no problems leaving his starters in last year when he was running up the score on us. We didn't complain then, and I'm not complaining now. We returned the favor, and they didn't complain.

Who is in Cohen's dog house? No one. Why start shit just to start shit? Does he get upset with players from time to time when they screw up? Sure. He usually responds by doing whatever he can to help them in practice.

You've heard rumors about players who don't like to play for Cohen because that's what Polk and his followers and Ole Miss and USM people want you to believe. There are just as many that didn't like playing for Polk and Bianco as well. Hell, Ole Miss had a guy transfer one day into fall ball because he found out Bianco was reducing his promised scholarship. Baseball coaches are not going to please everyone. I could name any baseball coach in the country and I guarantee you there is someone that didn't like playing for them.

Cohen wants to win- and that's "ruthless" when you are used to a guy like Polk being around. What it really does is attract players that are also competitive and want to win worse than anything. And lo and behold- that's exactly what we have now. Competitive people want to play for competitve coaches. There's a quote by Nick Saban- something like mediocre people hate competition and competitive people had mediocre people. I might have completely butchered that, but the point holds true.

And actually as far as transfers go, the mediocre people transferred out during Cohen's first 2-3 years and the past three seasons we have had only about four-five guys transfer out. None of them were impact players and none of them have done significantly better where they transferred to.

messageboardsuperhero
03-25-2014, 04:18 PM
When Detz was struggling, it made sense to put Garner and Humphreys in. Right now with Detz hitting well- I believe he is hitting something like .360 in SEC play going off the top off my head so don't quote me on that- there is no reason to sit Detz. I like Humphreys, but Britton is better defensively at third base.

I think Garner might replace Rea at first base next year. Cole Gordon, Brent Rooker, and Dylan Ingram will all get a chance in the fall with Garner probably having the edge. He could replace Detz at DH as well.

Humphreys will play somewhere next year and probably start- likely in the outfield. I think we move Vickerson to CF and then Humphreys will play one of the corner spots. Britton will probably stay at third base, and no I don't think he will go pro next year. I doubt he wil transfer out.

On a sidenote- Cohen is not going to allow a player to hold him hostage by threatening to transfer. Allowing said player to play would be a recipe for disaster. Not saying that Humphreys is. I'm talking about anyone.

In SEC baseball, in general you are better off playing upper classmen. Hudson, Sexton, Tatum, Houston, Collins, Garner, Humphreys, Rooker and Swinarski- all will be very good players for us, but none are playing very much at this time. They will have their time- it wasn't that long ago that Wes Rea was redshirting, Britton was on the bench, Demarcus was redshirting and was on the bench, and etc.

Also, Hunter Renfroe barely played at all as a freshman, and Holder and Mitchell didn't pitch that much as freshmen until the end of the season.

Freshmen simply don't play much under Cohen- that's just the way it is. The flip side of that is you'll get plenty of opportunities to play as you mature.

bulldogcountry1
03-25-2014, 04:22 PM
They will have their time- it wasn't that long ago that Wes Rea was redshirting, Britton was on the bench, Demarcus was redshirting and was on the bench, and etc.

Renfroe only had 26 ABs as a freshman.

bully99
03-25-2014, 04:24 PM
Come on Todd, even you should have a problem not giving the bench players an at bat. What if rea pulled a hamstring or broke an ankle going first to third up 15. Every decent manager would cringe at that type of game management. I'm the only one who ever calls Cohen out on that stuff.

Percho
03-25-2014, 04:25 PM
Some folks just need to make out a few lineups. It ain't easy. I would hate to even think about at the level MSU plays at.

Todd4State
03-25-2014, 04:26 PM
Also, Hunter Renfroe barely played at all as a freshman, and Holder and Mitchell didn't pitch that much as freshmen until the end of the season.

Freshmen simply don't play much under Cohen- that's just the way it is. The flip side of that is you'll get plenty of opportunities to play as you mature.

Exactly. I don't think some people understand how difficult it is to go from high school to college SEC baseball. You are literally talking about jumping from below rookie ball to a high A- AA caliber baseball league. Even really talented players like Renfroe struggle to adjust. And sure, there are some guys like Palmeiro, Stephen Head, etc. - but it is not the norm.

That's why I was very cautious about Humphreys and the rest of our freshmen in the offseason. Odds are they are going to struggle at times.

Coach34
03-25-2014, 04:27 PM

Look, it's one thing for me to complain about Stands all those years because it was obvious the guy was never going to have any postseason success. He had some good seasons- but you just knew nothing big was ever coming. It was what it was- Stands going 3-6 in the NCAA Tourney. Hell, Richard Williams went 6-3.

But to bash Cohen on all the shit you do just makes you look retarded. Or it makes you Ron Polk, possibly even Tommy Raffo's Dad. Cohen rebuilt the program Polk let crash- and now has been to a Super, won the SEC Tourney, and then played for the National Championship- something the great Ron Polk never could do. Is Cohen perfect? No. Does he do a damn good job? Yes.

We are a Top 15 national program again thanks to Cohen doing a great job rebuilding. Stop with the sour grapes.

Johnson85
03-25-2014, 04:27 PM

This is a new rule in baseball? I assumed it was the same as basketball and football and had been in place for a long time.

bully99
03-25-2014, 04:34 PM
There are no sour grapes You bitch nonstop about stains and that's ok, but when I bitch about Cohen, you and other's get so defensive. If I'm not a big fan of Cohen's,what is your problem. Threatening to ban me I guess.

Homedawg
03-25-2014, 04:35 PM

The truth is the guys who didn't like Cohen were inherited Polk guys. Some hated him,some didn't, grant hogue for example. But for the most part they like him now. Will he blow a fuse still? Sure. Do all 35+ guys like him? Prob not but it like that everywhere. All and all the guys here now like him. We don't recruit prima Dona's for a reason.

Todd4State
03-25-2014, 04:37 PM
Come on Todd, even you should have a problem not giving the bench players an at bat. What if rea pulled a hamstring or broke an ankle going first to third up 15. Every decent manager would cringe at that type of game management. I'm the only one who ever calls Cohen out on that stuff.

And what if we pulled our starters and then Vandy rallies and then all of a sudden it gets to be a close game and we don't have some of our better players out there? What if Wes Rea got hit by lightning? We could play what if all day long. The bottom line is Wes didn't break his ankle and so it's silly to argue about what "could" have happened.

I have a feeling that if we took out our starters en masse, you would complain about our starter not getting enough at bats in the game.

You're the only one that ever calls Cohen out on that stuff because apparently you aren't satisfied with winning. Unless of course it's a "certain way"- ie, all people that are 6'5" and no JUCO's, which I find extremely petty.

C222
03-25-2014, 04:41 PM
Look, it's one thing for me to complain about Stands all those years because it was obvious the guy was never going to have any postseason success. He had some good seasons- but you just knew nothing big was ever coming. It was what it was- Stands going 3-6 in the NCAA Tourney. Hell, Richard Williams went 6-3.

But to bash Cohen on all the shit you do just makes you look retarded. Or it makes you Ron Polk, possibly even Tommy Raffo's Dad. Cohen rebuilt the program Polk let crash- and now has been to a Super, won the SEC Tourney, and then played for the National Championship- something the great Ron Polk never could do. Is Cohen perfect? No. Does he do a damn good job? Yes.

We are a Top 15 national program again thanks to Cohen doing a great job rebuilding. Stop with the sour grapes.

Or Steve Gendron

Squidawg11
03-25-2014, 04:45 PM

We beat the number 3 team in the nation 17-2 and you are complaining? Hitting is all about confidence, repetition, and seeing the ball well. When our hitters have been struggling and finally experience a little success you want to take them out? This is ludicrous. Allowing our players to get those at bats and gain confidence will help us going forward this season. Baseball is not football or basketball. The risk of serious injury from an at bat or even sliding is extremely low. Get out of here with this ridiculous crap!

bully99
03-25-2014, 04:45 PM
Rallies from15 runs down with one at bat left. And you're a baseball "expert". Wow. If you don't have confidence that your backups can hold a 15 run lead, then something is wrong with your program . With that logic, why have bench players. Stuck on Stupid.

Squidawg11
03-25-2014, 04:49 PM
There are no sour grapes You bitch nonstop about stains and that's ok, but when I bitch about Cohen, you and other's get so defensive. If I'm not a big fan of Cohen's,what is your problem. Threatening to ban me I guess.

Cohen is winning and Stans wasn't! We played for the national championship for the first time in school history. Why are you complaining? If Stans ever did anything in the postseason no one would be complaining about him. Your griping is unjustified and makes you look like an idiot. Also, you need to work on your apostrophe usage big guy. I bolded what needs correcting.

chainedup_Dawg
03-25-2014, 04:59 PM
Rallies from15 runs down with one at bat left. And you're a baseball "expert". Wow. If you don't have confidence that your backups can hold a 15 run lead, then something is wrong with your program . With that logic, why have bench players. Stuck on Stupid.

"With one at bat left". So you are bitching about not giving back ups one at bat or one half inning in the field? Hell, if that's all you are going to give them, what's the point? I swear, I don't agree with everything Cohen does but to constantly bash a guy that has taken our program to heights we've never reached before is effing retarded. It really seems to me that you decided long ago that you don't like Cohen and you will look for whatever reason you can find to gripe and complain, it's truly pathetic.

Homedawg
03-25-2014, 05:03 PM
Amazingly there are many like him. The ultimate polk supporters and, of course RP himself.

Esmerelda Villalobos
03-25-2014, 05:06 PM
For whatever reason, bully99 doesnt like cohen. There could be 100 reasons. He is bitching and nit picking because he doesnt like John. That is it and that is all.

How anyone could not like cohen is a mystery. Im sure bully99 will say Im Full of shit but he doesnt like cohen. That is apparent. It isnt because he has a different opinion. It is because the things he brings up are retarded. We can be up 9 runs and he hasnt said shit. We mess up a bunt and here comes the idiot parade.

When 99 out of 100 folks in a thread are calling you a dumbass, it doesnt make you the 1% who is a forward thinker. It makes you a dumbass.

Todd4State
03-25-2014, 05:11 PM

We had a 9-10 run lead after three. You don't take your starters out after the third inning unless it's the first week of spring training. We put Woodruff in to pitch the 9th.

Who said anything about lacking confidence that our back-ups could hold a lead?

Vandy did the exact same thing to us last year in the SEC Tournament when they beat us 16-8. They kept stealing bases, bunting, etc. with their starters in and a big lead. We paid them back Friday night. That was what the lack of substitutions were about. We didn't bitch when it happened to us, and they didn't bitch when we did it to them, and now it's over.

If we keep consistently beating top five teams, I hope we keep doing things wrong.

Coach34
03-25-2014, 05:19 PM
Bully99 I'm not going to ban you. You aren't wildly cussing people or being beligerant- it's just puzzling. I actually agree with you on us not subbing earlier. But that is literally the first valid point I've seen you make. But everything you have to say about Cohen is negative or completely wrong- and considering played for our 1st national title in the Big 3 because of him- its just interesting.

I seen it dawg
03-25-2014, 05:20 PM

That should tell you something and it speaks volumes. Moron.

War Machine Dawg
03-25-2014, 05:45 PM

Or maybe....just maybe....Cohen was getting extra ABs in a blowout for a team that had been struggling offensively. Maybe he was letting them play and succeed in order to help breed some confidence at the plate. **** that, he was just running up the score.****

messageboardsuperhero
03-25-2014, 05:50 PM
Reid Humphreys is DHing tonight... Expect a transfer announcement any day now.***

Homedawg
03-25-2014, 05:56 PM
Tommy raffo is without question one of the top hitters to ever play here. He rode the pine as a fr hitter behind rob Norman. Hardly a name in everyone's memory bank. Reid will be fine.