PDA

View Full Version : Eddie O coming to Starkville for coaches clinic?

RC3
03-25-2014, 09:11 AM
Was this already common knowledge?

BeastMan
03-25-2014, 09:13 AM
No, not common knowledge. This is hilarious. Mullen is a trip

RC3
03-25-2014, 09:14 AM
https://twitter.com/CoachDanMullen/status/448459311946420224/photo/1/large?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=fb&utm_campaign=CoachDanMullen&utm_content=448459311946420224

FISHDAWG
why would we put on a coaches clinic ? .... trying to identify 4-star coaches ?

RC3
No, not common knowledge. This is hilarious. Mullen is a trip

the picture reminds me of the "peeping croom"

Pollodawg
03-25-2014, 09:20 AM
Eddie O with a notebook and a pencil leaving the clinic: "yaw yaw yaw yaw, learned a lot yaw yaw yaw fly right yaw yaw yaw recruiting.

bully99
03-25-2014, 09:20 AM
You don't really know why they have coaches clinics. Wow.

I like how Mullen list him as former coach at sc, nothing about tsun

HancockCountyDog
03-25-2014, 10:09 AM
0 is angling to get the ULL job when Hud gets another job offer. He probably would be willing to go to La Tech, La Monroe, but I know he was angling for the ULL job.

He pissed off a ton of HS coaches while with the bears, I guess this is his way of trying to mend fences in an area he hopes to recruit in the near future.

We are just trolling bear fans. I approve 100%!

starkvegasdawg
03-25-2014, 10:19 AM
Who do we have coming in as an interpreter?

Coach34
03-25-2014, 10:19 AM
We put on a coaching clinic every year for HS coaches from all over to attend and watch practice...we have guest coaches to speak

FISHDAWG
03-25-2014, 10:24 AM
no I really don't know ... why don't you enlighten me instead of trying to sound six-pack cool ..... thanks for your answer below coach .... I thought Eddie O was a college coach

GrassOfDWS
03-25-2014, 10:25 AM
Is he going to end the clinic by saying "you're welcome for the 2007 Egg Bowl. I gift wrapped that one myself"?

Pollodawg
03-25-2014, 10:31 AM
Is he going to end the clinic by saying "you're welcome for the 2007 Egg Bowl. I gift wrapped that one myself"?

Only if at the next clinic we have Houston Nutt as guest speaker and we can thank him for the 2008 Egg Bowl.

Johnson85
03-25-2014, 11:02 AM
He pissed off a ton of HS coaches while with the bears, I guess this is his way of trying to mend fences in an area he hopes to recruit in the near future.

He should be a good speaker too, though (ignoring the fact that it might be hard to understand him at times). I've got to think how his team performed when he took over at USC is an indication that he has learned some stuff since his UM gig and he can probably tell coaches a lot about mistakes he made and what he learned from them. The little I've heard him talk after taking over as USC's head coach, he sounded a lot different. Not as far as accent goes, but he didn't sound clueless like he did when he was at UM.

preachermatt83
03-25-2014, 04:31 PM
Ill prob be railed on for this and that's fine but the bottom line is mullen is a smart guy and he knows that there is a very good chance that at the end of this season that we lose Collins... The Ogre would be a great DC and a good recruiter. If you don't think this is how things in coaching circles work then you didn't pay attention to how Saban handled the Lane Kiffin deal.

Todd4State
03-25-2014, 04:56 PM
Ill prob be railed on for this and that's fine but the bottom line is mullen is a smart guy and he knows that there is a very good chance that at the end of this season that we lose Collins... The Ogre would be a great DC and a good recruiter. If you don't think this is how things in coaching circles work then you didn't pay attention to how Saban handled the Lane Kiffin deal.

I doubt we lose Collins after this year. We are now in a new era of MSU football where we are paying our assistants. Florida State wanted Geoff, and we stepped up.

Whether Collins leaves or not- we're not hiring Orgeron. Not as long as Bracky is around. O is not that good of a DC. There's a reason why no one has paid to get him and a resaon why USC let him go.

Saban wasn't happy with their old OC. Kiffen is not a good HC. He was/is a good OC. That's the difference between him and Coach O.

OldFatDog
03-25-2014, 04:56 PM
why would we put on a coaches clinic ? .... trying to identify 4-star coaches ?

Sort of. Good relationships with high school coaches is huge in recruiting. Want to get them on campus and network.

601Dawg
03-25-2014, 04:59 PM
Can we somehow find a way to hire Coach O just as a recruiter

HereComesTheSpiral
03-25-2014, 05:20 PM
Who do we have coming in as an interpreter?

http://www.tvtimemachine.com/sys/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/TroyLandrySmall.jpg

Johnson85
03-25-2014, 05:27 PM
Not as long as Bracky is around. O is not that good of a DC. There's a reason why no one has paid to get him and a resaon why USC let him go.

Is that really true? Was it just lucky that USC got hot after O took over? Or was Kiffen just that terible of a coach that him leaving made them better? I really didn't pay attention to USC even after O took over, so it could have simply been a soft schedule. Did you pay attention? Or are you just basing it off of him being a terrible head coach at Ole Miss (where he moved from a position coach to a head coach with defensive coordinator responsibilities at a have not in the toughest football conference)?

I do agree we're not hiring him. I don't think we'll be able to afford him even as a DC. He was getting more than we'll pay a DC as a recruiting coordinator/assistant head coach, and I'm guessing after USC's performance while he was interim HC, somebody will be willing to pay him to be a DC. Even if he turns out to be mediocre as a DC, you know he'll greatly improve your talent level.

Todd4State
03-25-2014, 05:28 PM
Can we somehow find a way to hire Coach O just as a recruiter

We could try to move Sallach to the office as we have tried for the past 4-5 years.

I kind of admire the fact that Coach O wants to coach. But as an outsider, the if I were him, I'd just be content making a million bucks as a recruiting coordinator for someone like Alabama, LSU, or USC.

Todd4State
03-25-2014, 05:40 PM
Is that really true? Was it just lucky that USC got hot after O took over? Or was Kiffen just that terible of a coach that him leaving made them better? I really didn't pay attention to USC even after O took over, so it could have simply been a soft schedule. Did you pay attention? Or are you just basing it off of him being a terrible head coach at Ole Miss (where he moved from a position coach to a head coach with defensive coordinator responsibilities at a have not in the toughest football conference)?

I do agree we're not hiring him. I don't think we'll be able to afford him even as a DC. He was getting more than we'll pay a DC as a recruiting coordinator/assistant head coach, and I'm guessing after USC's performance while he was interim HC, somebody will be willing to pay him to be a DC. Even if he turns out to be mediocre as a DC, you know he'll greatly improve your talent level.

I don't think it was luck. I think it was O injected some new blood and some fresh life into their program and they played loose and won some games.

They have a ton of talent- but they finished 60th in total defense last year and actually probably got worse as the season went along.

He's a great recruiter, but that's not what I necessarily want the DC to be. I want them to be X and O's people that develop people once they get to campus. If he's a great recruiter, that's a bonus.

Based on the fact that O had 4-5 star talent, I just don't see the results I would expect to see from that.