PDA

View Full Version : Richard Cross says

TheDogFather
03-24-2014, 05:12 PM
UM has no weaknesses.

Fire away.

CadaverDawg
03-24-2014, 05:14 PM
In what? Baseball, basketball, football, race relations, gay relations, drug use? Because I could find several weaknesses in each category

MetEdDawg
03-24-2014, 05:16 PM
Pretty sure they have a weakness at QB. Not being able to throw the ball in the air more than 30 yards kinda blows. But I guess since Freeze invented the screen pass and Treadwell is Jerry Rice but faster, they should be alright.

Homedawg
03-24-2014, 05:17 PM
Baseball is what he's talking about

Rick Danko
03-24-2014, 05:18 PM
Baseball... Just heard that... He did say they may show up, but yes, he did just make the statement that at this time he could not see any weaknesses on OM baseball team other than hitting into too many double plays

deltadawg99
03-24-2014, 05:34 PM
Cross is such a homer and Matt just sits there and takes it.

MetEdDawg
03-24-2014, 05:39 PM
I'm cool with that. Let them expectations themselves out of a coach. They will eventually do it to Freeze and I'm surprised they haven't done it to Bianco yet. If they host a regional and don't get through, they might do just that.

blacklistedbully
03-24-2014, 05:45 PM
A weakness - They are 1-2 vs Top 25 teams, and are soon going to be playing a bunch of them. Of course, that T-25 team happens to also be #2.

messageboardsuperhero
03-24-2014, 06:07 PM
UM is a good, solid club- just like all Bianco's teams.

At the same time, being hot early isn't exactly anything new for them. I'm pretty sure they started last season something like 21-2 but started faltering after that. As others have pointed out, they've won an absurd amount of 1-run games, and those things tend to even themselves out. As it stands, UM is in a really nice position at the moment. I wish we would have pulled out some of our close games early in the season like they did- but I still wouldn't trade our team for theirs.

bully99
03-24-2014, 06:32 PM
I've watched them play a few times and they have a pretty decent team. Have a lot of experience and the Ellis kid who is their ace is very good. Also have some power in their lineup. They've beaten their weak sisters and we haven't.

Pollodawg
03-24-2014, 06:35 PM
Pretty sure they have a weakness at QB. Not being able to throw the ball in the air more than 30 yards kinda blows. But I guess since Freeze invented the screen pass and Treadwell is Jerry Rice but faster, they should be alright.

I laughed. True stuff--or some people's perception of true stuff--is the funniest stuff.

LC Dawg
03-24-2014, 07:05 PM

It's bad enough when Cross unrealistically pumps up Ole Miss but what really pisses me off is when Cross takes a shot at State or Starkville and Wyatt doesn't say anything.

sbcmortgageman
03-24-2014, 07:14 PM
They've got like 6 or 7 walk off wins. One weird hop in those games and they could have 6 or 7 more losses. It'll catch up to them soon enough.

blacklistedbully
03-24-2014, 07:40 PM
Yeah, well a lot of us thought that about Auburn in football last year.

AlSwearengen
03-24-2014, 07:46 PM
It is still too early in the season for their top two starting pitchers to start having the rag arm.

thunderclap
03-24-2014, 07:48 PM
You lost me at "Richard Cross says"

Todd4State
03-24-2014, 08:21 PM
I've watched them play a few times and they have a pretty decent team. Have a lot of experience and the Ellis kid who is their ace is very good. Also have some power in their lineup. They've beaten their weak sisters and we haven't.

I agree with you.

They have a lot of experience- lots of juniors and seniors. And that kind of goes hand in hand with close wins- they have guys that have been there before. The biggest question was whether Ellis was going to be healthy or not- and he obviously is. When you have a lot of experience, that usually lends itself to less experimenting with lineups. And of course, that's when a lot of mid majors steal wins from SEC/ACC/PAC 12 teams.

They have played a very manageable schedule- with the experience that they have they should have done well. The two most difficult teams that they have played this year are South Carolina and Memphis. They are 1-3 against them- and really should be 0-4.

blacklistedbully
03-24-2014, 08:43 PM
I agree with you.

They have a lot of experience- lots of juniors and seniors. And that kind of goes hand in hand with close wins- they have guys that have been there before. The biggest question was whether Ellis was going to be healthy or not- and he obviously is. When you have a lot of experience, that usually lends itself to less experimenting with lineups. And of course, that's when a lot of mid majors steal wins from SEC/ACC/PAC 12 teams.

They have played a very manageable schedule- with the experience that they have they should have done well. The two most difficult teams that they have played this year are South Carolina and Memphis. They are 1-3 against them- and really should be 0-4.

Yeah, the sense I get is that, though their SOS is similar to ours overall, they have played more mediocre teams that they should have handled, while we have played several that are worse, then several that are much better. We have lost to worse and beaten better.

So, IMO we are at this time more proven versus tougher competition, but have also shown an ability to go anemic on offense at times. They have not done well so far versus top-shelf competition, but then it's still early, and they competed with SCar at SCar.

I suspect it will come down to whether Cohen has found his lineup and rotation, and if we've really just started to put it all together, much like last year. We already know that Cohen is going to use the pre-league OOC as a sort of Spring training, and doesn't seem to worry too much about hosting or national seeds. I think he prefers hosting and would love a national seed, but believes those are secondary to finding the right lineup through whatever amount of gerrymandering he needs to do to get the lineup right and the bench experienced to make a push in the 2nd half. If that means we have to go to somebody else's regional and steal their lunch-money, then so be it.

engie
03-24-2014, 08:45 PM
I watched them up close and personal this weekend.

Solid -- but don't believe the hype just yet. Mizzou still isn't even remotely an SEC squad on the hill -- and they were squaring up OM pitching alot more than they actually had to show for it.

Wake me up in June when they are still playing ball...

M.Fillmore
03-24-2014, 08:56 PM
It's bad enough when Cross unrealistically pumps up Ole Miss but what really pisses me off is when Cross takes a shot at State or Starkville and Wyatt doesn't say anything.

/\ THIS /\ I haven't listened to the show in a couple of years for this one reason. Obviously, the situation hasn't improved. If Wyatt had been this passive on the football field he would have never gotten past pee-wee ball.

messageboardsuperhero
03-24-2014, 09:07 PM
I watched them up close and personal this weekend.

Solid -- but don't believe the hype just yet. Mizzou still isn't even remotely an SEC squad on the hill -- and they were squaring up OM pitching alot more than they actually had to show for it.

Wake me up in June when they are still playing ball...

I saw them last Wednesday against Arkansas State (I live in Oxford and State didn't have a midweek game) and had a similar impression. They just look like a typical solid Bianco team that doesn't do anything great but doesn't have any major weaknesses either- good club, but doesn't pass the eye test for a top 10 elite team either, IMO.

Another somewhat surprising thing I noticed was that Arkansas State was using the same Adidas bats as us. Weren't we supposed to be the only team using them? I could be wrong, but I remember the talk in the preseason was that we had the bat deal exclusively for this first year.

engie
03-24-2014, 09:20 PM
I saw them last Wednesday against Arkansas State (I live in Oxford and State didn't have a midweek game) and had a similar impression. They just look like a typical solid Bianco team that doesn't do anything great but doesn't have any major weaknesses either- good club, but doesn't pass the eye test for a top 10 elite team either, IMO.

Another somewhat surprising thing I noticed was that Arkansas State was using the same Adidas bats as us. Weren't we supposed to be the only team using them? I could be wrong, but I remember the talk in the preseason was that we had the bat deal exclusively for this first year.

There was talk of that -- but Adidas ended up mass producing them a year earlier than initially expected. A bunch of teams are using them now...

DanDority
03-24-2014, 09:25 PM
I have not read one post in this thread. Who gives a shit what DICK thinks!

gravedigger
03-24-2014, 09:49 PM
I agree too. I like what they've done against weaker teams. I wish we had done better against them too. What is going to really suck come tournament time is those victories on the road and beating one of the best pitchers in the nation wont mean shit compared to sweeping Stetson.

preachermatt83
03-24-2014, 09:57 PM
you will see a weakness in just a couple of weeks at SBW... 14k wild bulldawg fans who despise them will be their weakness.. it will overwhelm them! Vandy had trouble with 10k and we don't despise them. I would hate to be OM come april 11th!

CJDAWG85
03-24-2014, 11:52 PM
Enjoy....

dogshiek
03-25-2014, 12:01 AM
I'm sure he's drinking Jesus juice.

RTO Dawg
03-25-2014, 08:25 AM

+1

Be patient.. Ole Miss problems will be in their head ...

LC Dawg
03-25-2014, 09:04 AM
Enjoy....

Nice. I assume that's the Bear's homecoming queen he's hitting on. (And we're supposed to be the rednecks?)