PDA

View Full Version : Surprised OM got a bigger bump in polls than we did this week.

blacklistedbully
03-24-2014, 12:55 PM
I know it'll eventually all come out in the wash, but I was not expecting OM to get a bigger bump this week.

Is 3-0 versus a team with a losing record plus 1-0 versus a team just 3 games over .500 really more impressive than going 2-1 versus a Top 7 team?

War Machine Dawg
03-24-2014, 01:00 PM
Not as far as anyone with objectivity is concerned. Vandy is still a helluva team, but I don't think they're quite the juggernaut they've been the past few years.

blacklistedbully
03-24-2014, 01:15 PM
Not as far as anyone with objectivity is concerned. Vandy is still a helluva team, but I don't think they're quite the juggernaut they've been the past few years.

Are you saying I'm devoid of objectivity? Regardless of what you personally think of Vandy, the fact is the very polls that we're talking about are the same ones that have them #6 & #7. OM beat 13-10 Arkansas State once, and 11-12 Mizzou 3 times. Neither of those teams is even in the top 54 (NCBW poll).

I'm not all bent-outta-shape over it, as I realize it's mostly meaningless at this point, but I do find it a little surprising they would get a jump of 8 for that versus a jump of 4 for us in PG, and a jump of 7 versus 5 in BA.

Homedawg
03-24-2014, 01:20 PM

I think offensively you are right. But pitching wise they are legit. One quality arm after another w little to no fall off.

Real Deal
03-24-2014, 01:24 PM
Sweeping people will always get you a jump.

War Machine Dawg
03-24-2014, 02:17 PM
Are you saying I'm devoid of objectivity? Regardless of what you personally think of Vandy, the fact is the very polls that we're talking about are the same ones that have them #6 & #7. OM beat 13-10 Arkansas State once, and 11-12 Mizzou 3 times. Neither of those teams is even in the top 54 (NCBW poll).

I'm not all bent-outta-shape over it, as I realize it's mostly meaningless at this point, but I do find it a little surprising they would get a jump of 8 for that versus a jump of 4 for us in PG, and a jump of 7 versus 5 in BA.

No, I meant those with objectivity see that beating #7 Vandy and handing them their first SEC series loss since 2012 is bigger than sweeping a bad Mizzou team. But somehow, the BearSharks have media members willing to slobber their knob in every sport. If we keep playing the way we're capable, polls won't matter in the near future.

jimbo352
03-24-2014, 02:23 PM
A series sweep isn't easy to do, even if it is a below average SEC team. The polls always reward a series sweep in conference play, especially in the SEC/ACC. I think our 2 wins were more impressive, and we did get a big bump in the polls...

the polls don't make much sense anyway... USC got there asses kicked by Kentucky, and they're still #2... Go figure.

maroonmania
03-24-2014, 02:28 PM
OM will likely come back to average a little because they are JUST skating by in a lot of these games. Currently OM has played 9 one run games and are 8-1 in those 9. That type of good fortune in games that can go either way doesn't usually last forever.

War Machine Dawg
03-24-2014, 02:28 PM
A series sweep isn't easy to do, even if it is a below average SEC team. The polls always reward a series sweep in conference play, especially in the SEC/ACC. I think our 2 wins were more impressive, and we did get a big bump in the polls...

the polls don't make much sense anyway... USC got there asses kicked by Kentucky, and they're still #2... Go figure.

When you've been clearly the best team in the nation, one series loss to a good UK team shouldn't have much of an impact on your poll position. It's one speed bump unless they drop another series.

Jack Lambert
03-24-2014, 02:29 PM
Missouri not a good team and we will have a opertunity to sweep them as well however if we take two of three from Ole Miss it doesn't matter.

jimbo352
03-24-2014, 02:32 PM
When you've been clearly the best team in the nation, one series loss to a good UK team shouldn't have much of an impact on your poll position. It's one speed bump unless they drop another series.

Maybe so, but they almost lost the series to OM the week before... Needed extra innings to pull out a comeback win...

They haven't looked impressive was my point. Enough so to drop more than one spot IMO.

SouthMsDawg
03-24-2014, 02:34 PM

Yet they just won a series vs a very good LSU team and held them to hardly any runs in the final two games after NOLA beat Beedle in game one.

Real Deal
03-24-2014, 02:37 PM
South Carolina is not clearly the best team in the nation.

maroonmania
03-24-2014, 02:38 PM
Yet they just won a series vs a very good LSU team and held them to hardly any runs in the final two games after NOLA beat Beedle in game one.

The game they lost to LSU they were winning until very late in the game.

graddawg
03-24-2014, 02:50 PM
I know it'll eventually all come out in the wash, but I was not expecting OM to get a bigger bump this week.

Is 3-0 versus a team with a losing record plus 1-0 versus a team just 3 games over .500 really more impressive than going 2-1 versus a Top 7 team?

No. I think it has more to do with the polls rewarding OM's current 4-loss body of work than comparing our week against theirs. As you say, it will correct itself, but the bottom line is we currently have 9 losses--3 of which are to teams with losing records (and Holy Cross only has 6 wins TOTAL).

Sandman14
03-24-2014, 03:24 PM
No. I think it has more to do with the polls rewarding OM's current 4-loss body of work than comparing our week against theirs. As you say, it will correct itself, but the bottom line is we currently have 9 losses--3 of which are to teams with losing records (and Holy Cross only has 6 wins TOTAL).

this is exactly right.

blacklistedbully
03-24-2014, 03:51 PM

While what you say is true, it really has no bearing on this topic, as we're talking about the past week, not the entire season to date. I get what you're saying about their overall record perhaps getting them some added bump, but our losses have no play, IMO, at least not since we took 2 of 3 from Vandy hot-on-the-heels of taking 2 of 3 at UGA after taking one from 13-9 S Il.

Just think they got a bit too much love in 1 week for winning at home versus sub-par competition, even considering they went 4-0. I'm not even arguing whether they should be ranked higher than us or not, just that I would have thought our week was considerably better than theirs, given what we accomplished versus what is considered one of the top teams in the nation.

smootness
03-24-2014, 04:06 PM
While what you say is true, it really has no bearing on this topic, as we're talking about the past week, not the entire season to date. I get what you're saying about their overall record perhaps getting them some added bump, but our losses have no play, IMO, at least not since we took 2 of 3 from Vandy hot-on-the-heels of taking 2 of 3 at UGA after taking one from 13-9 S Il.

Just think they got a bit too much love in 1 week for winning at home versus sub-par competition, even considering they went 4-0. I'm not even arguing whether they should be ranked higher than us or not, just that I would have thought our week was considerably better than theirs, given what we accomplished versus what is considered one of the top teams in the nation.

It does have a bearing on the topic, though, as pollsters are saying Ole Miss is better than us, not necessarily that they had the better week. I understand they moved up more than we did, but that doesn't mean they thought Ole Miss' week was more impressive. They could have done what graddawg suggested and took a step back, decided that Ole Miss sweeping an SEC series proves to them that they are for real when before they thought their record might be fluky. They probably also decided our week shows that we're becoming the team people thought we would be, but they can't just jump us up to that level immediately; we do have the 9 losses, and those losses will continue to put some doubt in voters' minds until we have more weekends like the last two.

blacklistedbully
03-24-2014, 04:22 PM
It does have a bearing on the topic, though, as pollsters are saying Ole Miss is better than us, not necessarily that they had the better week. I understand they moved up more than we did, but that doesn't mean they thought Ole Miss' week was more impressive. They could have done what graddawg suggested and took a step back, decided that Ole Miss sweeping an SEC series proves to them that they are for real when before they thought their record might be fluky. They probably also decided our week shows that we're becoming the team people thought we would be, but they can't just jump us up to that level immediately; we do have the 9 losses, and those losses will continue to put some doubt in voters' minds until we have more weekends like the last two.

It's possible, but one would think, were that the reasoning, that UCSB would have also seen as big a jump. They also went 4-0, but actually got jumped over by Ole Miss in BA's poll, landing behind Louisville while OM jumped ahead of Louisville.

In any case, not a big deal, as we'll get our opportunity soon enough. Just finding something to talk about on a boring Monday.