PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Cuban and his remarks on the NFL

MetEdDawg
03-23-2014, 08:29 PM
Cuban is a businessman, so when it comes to actually running a business, I'm going to listen. Forget his personality, the guy is smart. This article is worth a read. It's about his take on the NFL devaluing itself by trying to broadcast itself over too many days and competing with too many other entities like the NBA and college football. I actually happen to think he is right to a certain degree, but there are many other factors that are at play here that will hurt the NFL long term in my opinion. Just wanted to see what others thought about his comments and whether or not they actually have merit. I think to some degree they do.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/10662203/dallas-mavericks-owner-mark-cuban-says-greedy-nfl-10-years-away-implosion

Todd4State
03-23-2014, 09:41 PM
I think he has some good points. I don't know that the NFL is going for being on TV every night and to say that the NFL will implode in 10 years seems far fetched.

I will say this though- if the NFL is on Thursday nights, we need to play on Thursdays as little as possible. Because the people that want to watch football are going to choose Cardinals/Bengals over MSU/Kentucky every single time.

Political Hack
03-23-2014, 09:50 PM
I rarely watch Thursday night and have watched Monday less and less. I also don't feel like I'm missing anything on Sunday if the Saints aren't playing that time slot... so I don't tie myself to the TV. They owned Sunday, and they're losing that.

reddog
03-24-2014, 08:54 AM
I rarely watch Thursday night and have watched Monday less and less. I also don't feel like I'm missing anything on Sunday if the Saints aren't playing that time slot... so I don't tie myself to the TV. They owned Sunday, and they're losing that.

^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^

smootness
03-24-2014, 08:59 AM
It will hurt them long-term, I believe that. I don't think it will kill them or anything, though. If it doesn't work, they can always scrap it and go back to mostly Sundays.

I'm not sure most are hitting on exactly why the NFL has boomed so much recently in popularity - fantasy football. It really has been what has elevated the NFL all the way to the level it is now, and it isn't going anywhere.

If anything is going to kill the NFL, it will be what kills football at every level - concussions, hits to the head, etc.

Apoplectic
03-24-2014, 09:00 AM
I stopped watching all pro sports 5 yrs ago and haven't missed a minute. I take pride in saying it now when people asked if I saw a game.

Martianlander
03-24-2014, 09:39 AM
There is the danger of overexposure. The main thing I don't like is the Saturday head to head with college. The Thursday night also, but then again the NCAA approved those college games-why? Money!!!
But in the long run I doubt the NFL cares unless colleges do something to snub them such as limiting them on campus. But I doubt they do that because they want to see their players go to the NFL. Why? Recruiting tool.

rabbitthedawg
03-24-2014, 09:42 AM
I seldom watch Pro-football, unless the Saints are playing a meaningful game. Watching NBA is like watching the grass grow, and do watch the Braves a good bit during the summer for relaxation purposes mostly. Sunday night football is not very good and if a college game is on Thursday night, would watch that over pro if the college games isn't Boling Green vs USM or something.