PDA

View Full Version : Another Friday practice report......

Real Deal
03-23-2014, 05:37 PM
Joe Morrow was burning up everybody, Redmond included. Numerous times. Looks very good.

Josh Robinson ran over Cedric Giles and called him a ***** like 32 times as loud as he could.

Nick James still gets hazed by David Turner.

Mullen is a good recruiter. Trust me here. If any of you ever criticized the way he recruits or how he handles recruits on campus, you can go ahead and shut up now because you are wrong. We are just fine in that regard.

starkvegasdawg
03-23-2014, 06:53 PM
Josh Robinson ran over Cedric Giles and called him a ***** like 32 times as loud as he could.

Just so all the bears that read this board can rest easy tonight, I am sure he called him a ***** out of love.

Coach34
03-23-2014, 07:07 PM
Joe did look pretty good as did Fred Brown

AlSwearengen
03-23-2014, 07:10 PM
can someone expound on Turner. Is he an "in your face" yelling all the time type of coach? I have seen it insinuated several times.

War Machine Dawg
03-23-2014, 07:20 PM
Joe Morrow was burning up everybody, Redmond included. Numerous times. Looks very good.

Morrow is MSU football's Practice All-American to go along with Devon Bell. Wake me up when it actually translates to a game. Hint: It ain't happening.

So damn glad J-Rob will be getting the bulk of the carries this season. His YPC can't help but come down, but he's got the thump to pound it inside consistently. I think he could have a 1000-1200 yard type of season.

Real Deal
03-23-2014, 07:23 PM
Sure.

"YOU CAN'T EVEN RUN 3 PLAYS UNTIL YO BIG ASS IS WINDED!"

MetEdDawg
03-23-2014, 07:30 PM
I agree. His center of gravity just makes you almost have to be perfect to tackle him between the tackles because arms just won't do it. The guy is built like a damn brick house and he runs like he knows that. I would like to see 20 carries a game plus two or three screens or delayed releases from the backfield for him. I think he's got the muscle to deal with being a between the tackles guy but he also has the elusiveness to live outside the tackles as well. I think in a 100% Dak offense he will go nuts.

ShotgunDawg
03-23-2014, 07:35 PM
The reason I like Robinson the most is because he FALLS FORWARD. Having a running back and QB that almost always falls forward will be one of the big keys and reasons we could be really really good this year. Staying out of 3rd and long will cause defenses, LSU, Bama, and Auburn included, absolute fits because there will always be a run pass option. Dak is fine in 3rd and long, but his overall effectiveness is less. With running backs and QB that's falls forward, you have less negative plays and more 3 yard gains when nothing is there.

Todd4State
03-23-2014, 07:54 PM

Fred Brown is my boy. I hope he gets number 4 after Jameon graduates.

War Machine Dawg
03-23-2014, 09:45 PM
The reason I like Robinson the most is because he FALLS FORWARD. Having a running back and QB that almost always falls forward will be one of the big keys and reasons we could be really really good this year. Staying out of 3rd and long will cause defenses, LSU, Bama, and Auburn included, absolute fits because there will always be a run pass option. Dak is fine in 3rd and long, but his overall effectiveness is less. With running backs and QB that's falls forward, you have less negative plays and more 3 yard gains when nothing is there.

And the congregation said "Amen!"

War Machine Dawg
03-23-2014, 09:45 PM

I'm a big fan of Fred Brown, too. I'm looking for him to have a breakout season in '14.

Pollodawg
03-23-2014, 09:56 PM
Yeah, I've heard the Joe Morrow is awesome in practice line all too often. I want him awesome in practice and on game day.

thf24
03-24-2014, 07:11 AM
Morrow has always been a practice warrior. He was decent by the end of last season, but I'll believe the light has come all the way on when I see it on the field in September.

If he does finally live up to his full potential, we will have an outstanding two-deep at receiver.

X
Bear Wilson
Joe Morrow

Z
RoJo
Fred Ross

Slot
Tubby Lewis
Gabe Myles/Jamoral Graham

Sprinkle in Fred Brown and possibly another one of the redshirt freshman, and we could have about as good an overall group as we've ever had.

Coach34
03-24-2014, 08:47 AM
Chapelle is going to back up Tubby. Graham gonna get the redshirt

SouthMsDawg
03-24-2014, 02:55 PM

With the talent we have returning at WR, I just dont see either of those two getting many reps especially with Shelby Christy and Gabe Myles having great springs.

Tubby, Rojo, Bear, and Fred Ross are the 4 I think we see get the most reps.

SouthMsDawg
03-24-2014, 02:56 PM

Hate on me all yall want, but I just don't see Fred Brown as a big time SEC WR. I see him as a career backup. I hope he proves me wrong

I personally see him being passed by Shelby Christy

Political Hack
03-24-2014, 03:00 PM
Christy needs to find some consistency catching the ball before he's going to get a lot of reps. The other guys he came in with are way ahead of him right now IMO.

I was pretty surprised at how well we threw the ball downfield. If Bear, Joe, and Mojo can hit 9 routes and seam patterns against 1-on-1 coverage, we're going to be damn near impossible to scheme against.

hailmari
03-24-2014, 03:16 PM
Christy has the speed, size, and athleticism to be pretty good.

I never thought I'd have to worry about guys getting playing time at MSU.

Coach34
03-24-2014, 03:31 PM
Hate on me all yall want, but I just don't see Fred Brown as a big time SEC WR. I see him as a career backup. I hope he proves me wrong

I personally see him being passed by Shelby Christy

wow

Brown is twice the WR Christy is right now. Christy couldnt catch a cold sitting buttnaked in a meat freezer with an ice cube stuck in his butt. Christy couldnt catch a cold licking all the chair handles in a pediatric Dr's office on a Monday afternoon. Was literally the worst WR on our team Friday

FISHDAWG
03-24-2014, 03:36 PM
plus - JRob seems to stay on his feet better ... Perkins tries to cut and thereby loses his footing

FISHDAWG
03-24-2014, 03:40 PM

does Jesse Jackson also redshirt ?

engie
03-24-2014, 03:44 PM
One of the 2 gets the chance to play immediately IMO...

Coach34
03-24-2014, 03:50 PM
One of the 2 gets the chance to play immediately IMO...

Jesse Jackson is coming off ACL surgery- not likely
Graham wont get any reps to justify burning his shirt

I just cant see either of them not redshirting

smootness
03-24-2014, 03:55 PM

This is interesting. I didn't think Chappelle had the quickness or shiftiness to play slot, but I trust the staff. Of course, there will hopefully be very little need for anyone in the slot but Lewis.

I agree that it'll be tough for Graham to see much playing time, but I think he definitely has a better chance to play this year than Jackson. And I think our coaches might want to get his feet wet knowing he has a good chance to take over the slot next year, a la what we did with Clayborn late last year.

OldFatDog
03-24-2014, 04:22 PM
wow

Brown is twice the WR Christy is right now. Christy couldnt catch a cold sitting buttnaked in a meat freezer with an ice cube stuck in his butt. Christy couldnt catch a cold licking all the chair handles in a pediatric Dr's office on a Monday afternoon. Was literally the worst WR on our team Friday

Or said another way, "Christy still has to develop his pass catching skills. Don't see him moving ahead of Brown." But saying it that way isn't nearly as cool as shitting on our players on message boards.

engie
03-24-2014, 05:24 PM
Jesse Jackson is coming off ACL surgery- not likely
Graham wont get any reps to justify burning his shirt

I just cant see either of them not redshirting

I'm betting on Graham being 2nd string in the slot if he makes the grades. Gabe Myles might bump him down to 3rd -- but I don't really see Chappelle being a factor here JMO.

Redshirting him leaves ourselves in a situation where we're basically breaking in a brand new group for Dak's senior year at a position that's important to our offense and we're recruiting very, VERY well in upcoming classes. It's one of those spots where we can afford to play a very talented guy immediately and get his feet wet more as a luxury than a necessity. If Myles steps up and can be that 2nd guy, I'm fine with redshirting Graham though.

Coach34
03-24-2014, 05:26 PM
Wanted to make sure I presented my case in full effect

Bothrops
03-24-2014, 05:35 PM
Chappelle is built like an outside guy.
Which of our 2014 recruits are not expected to be here in the fall?

engie
03-24-2014, 05:41 PM
Chappelle is built like an outside guy.
Which of our 2014 recruits are not expected to be here in the fall?

Pierce and Durr are likely JUCO bound...
Graham is borderline...
Cochran is greyshirting...

There is one more that is going to be iffy, but I don't remember which it is...

bulldawg28
03-24-2014, 08:02 PM
I'm betting on Graham being 2nd string in the slot if he makes the grades. Gabe Myles might bump him down to 3rd -- but I don't really see Chappelle being a factor here JMO.

Redshirting him leaves ourselves in a situation where we're basically breaking in a brand new group for Dak's senior year at a position that's important to our offense and we're recruiting very, VERY well in upcoming classes. It's one of those spots where we can afford to play a very talented guy immediately and get his feet wet more as a luxury than a necessity. If Myles steps up and can be that 2nd guy, I'm fine with redshirting Graham though.

Tubby and Johnson are the only seniors and with the rotation others are getting plenty of playing time. I honestly think the only signed freshman that might escape the redshirts are Mr.Green and Mr. Thomas. The rest can get ready to volunteer with Red-cross because they'll be redshirted down.

mic
03-24-2014, 10:33 PM
Tubby and Johnson are the only seniors and with the rotation others are getting plenty of playing time. I honestly think the only signed freshman that might escape the redshirts are Mr.Green and Mr. Thomas. The rest can get ready to volunteer with Red-cross because they'll be redshirted down.

Green wont play .. we are loaded at LB and at least 2 deep. Plus he is coming off his injury.
If Thomas doesn't redshirt that means he is a STUD. which is win / win for us. I just dont see him breaking the 2 deep. Plus it will give our staff time to see where he is going to play inside or outside.
Aires.. will be too good not to RS
Graham will push Gabe for that slot position and with Gray and possible Dear coming next year no need for Graham to RS
Either Fitz or ES will not RS.
I think Bryant or Gray play. Special Teams and maybe a few snaps in OOC games
We might even redshirt Hutcherson.. We have 4 returning TE and BJ has looked very good from what I have seen
Im guessing all the OL redshirt except for juco J Jophnson

And there is always a couple more that don't RS each year because of depth issues and injuries. Or just too good to keep off the field. But with this team Im not sure where that will be..

esplanade91
03-24-2014, 11:02 PM
Tubby and Johnson are the only seniors and with the rotation others are getting plenty of playing time.

Chapelle is a senior. Between the 3 and MoJo, that's a lot to lose receiving wise. The younger guys are the most talented receiving set in MSU history, but they lack serious experience. I imagine that's on Gonzales' mind. Expect to see a lot of people in rotation this year. A LOT.

I'm ok with burning shirts at WR with the rate we're bringing kids into the boat, if only to play mop up during homecoming and play on special teams. Outside of kicking, our punt/KO coverage has been ridiculously great, and a big reason is the talent level of the guys on the field... Kids who don't want to RS.

Coach34
03-24-2014, 11:04 PM
Chapelle played the slot down the stretch with Tubby this past year. He is a Sr that is going to play some.

So you have Tubby getting most of the reps- then Chapelle. Then Myles being here. I cant see any way that Graham plays this year- we have too many WR's right now. Chapelle is fine playing WR in the slot- and because of his size can be a better blocker than the other 2. All you do with Chapelle in the game is not call a running play for him.

Coach34
03-24-2014, 11:08 PM
Chapelle is a senior. Between the 3 and MoJo, that's a lot to lose receiving wise. .

But we are playing mostly for 2014- and that is what you want on the field- Sr's. The other guys will get some reps, but we are going to play Wilson, RoJo, Tubby, Ross, Chapelle, Stonehands, and Fred Brown. Myles and some of the others are going to be praying for reps.

Especially when you add in the fact we will be using 2 TE's more with MoJo being an H-back type.

mic
03-24-2014, 11:11 PM
Chapelle played the slot down the stretch with Tubby this past year. He is a Sr that is going to play some.

So you have Tubby getting most of the reps- then Chapelle. Then Myles being here. I cant see any way that Graham plays this year- we have too many WR's right now. Chapelle is fine playing WR in the slot- and because of his size can be a better blocker than the other 2. All you do with Chapelle in the game is not call a running play for him.

I just wonder if we keep Chapelle there. It may be based on if Graham does get in school and how fast he progresses at the position. I think Chapelle would have no problem play any 3 of the WR positions.
I do agree I don't see Chapelle getting involved in the slot motion run plays like Tubby , Gabe and Graham..

FISHDAWG
03-25-2014, 08:30 AM
Especially when you add in the fact we will be using 2 TE's more with MoJo being an H-back type.

so how does 2 TE's work without a fullback ?

Political Hack
03-25-2014, 09:50 AM
so how does 2 TE's work without a fullback ?

you can go with a 7 man down line or more likely drag one across the formation to act as a FB. It forces he defense to cover a power package with someone who can also defend a pass. It's not something that you can throw out a lot IMO. I don't see it working well against Bama or LSU, but it will cause matchup problems for teams that have smaller LBs or OLBs that can't cover and support the run.

Johnson85
03-25-2014, 10:53 AM
Morrow has always been a practice warrior.

Has he? I've heard people say he's improving, but I think this is the first time I remember people saying he actually looked good.

War Machine Dawg
03-25-2014, 10:56 AM
Has he? I've heard people say he's improving, but I think this is the first time I remember people saying he actually looked good.

What rock have you been under? All we've heard for 3 years is how great Stonehands looks in practice. Bottom line, he's soft. He'll never be an impact player.

bulldawg28
03-25-2014, 11:07 AM
Green wont play .. we are loaded at LB and at least 2 deep. Plus he is coming off his injury.
If Thomas doesn't redshirt that means he is a STUD. which is win / win for us. I just dont see him breaking the 2 deep. Plus it will give our staff time to see where he is going to play inside or outside.
Aires.. will be too good not to RS
Graham will push Gabe for that slot position and with Gray and possible Dear coming next year no need for Graham to RS
Either Fitz or ES will not RS.
I think Bryant or Gray play. Special Teams and maybe a few snaps in OOC games
We might even redshirt Hutcherson.. We have 4 returning TE and BJ has looked very good from what I have seen
Im guessing all the OL redshirt except for juco J Jophnson

And there is always a couple more that don't RS each year because of depth issues and injuries. Or just too good to keep off the field. But with this team Im not sure where that will be..

B-Mac is going pro after this year and Wells will have an opportunity to do the same with his athletic ability. We'll need to get LB's ready for 2015 with some type of experience.

engie
03-25-2014, 12:17 PM
B-Mac is going pro after this year and Wells will have an opportunity to do the same with his athletic ability. We'll need to get LB's ready for 2015 with some type of experience.

We will have Beniquez, Richie, and Zach Jackson as imminent starters -- all 3 of those will be ready to go and experienced. Dez Harris will get alot of PT this year as well -- and it's still wait and see on what we get, if anything, from Arrington and Bohanna who is apparently back now.

My guess is it'll depend on the outlook for those 2 on whether or not we redshirt both freshmen. Wouldn't be surprised if we play one of them...

smootness
03-25-2014, 12:48 PM
What rock have you been under? All we've heard for 3 years is how great Stonehands looks in practice. Bottom line, he's soft. He'll never be an impact player.

Morrow made some nice catches near the end of last year. And he was a sophomore. Can we please chill? He may not have been a stud out of the gate, but I'm not sure why anyone expected him to be that. He can still absolutely become a productive WR for us.

smootness
03-25-2014, 12:49 PM
I would expect Harris to start along with the Browns in 2015. And I do think Green will see a lot of playing time that year...but I also expect him to redshirt this year unless we just think he's so good he won't play 5 no matter what.

bulldawg28
03-25-2014, 02:25 PM
If Green runs a 4.3 as advertised he's not wasting a year running scout team unless he's not physical or hasn't totally healed. The coaches will have him learning as much as possible. When he's healed he's taking one of those LB spots. He's too much of an mismatch to not be on the field.

Johnson85
03-25-2014, 02:40 PM

Who had you been hearing that from? All I remember hearing is that he might be able to contribute and some discussion of whether he could possibly be an outside threat for us. Considering the competition on the outside, anybody questioning whether he would contribute obviously didn't think he looked that great. I'm sure there were plenty of people over hyping him, but if I heard them, I obviously didn't consider them credible enough to remember their predictions.

Making a big jump at this point would require that he be a late bloomer, but it's entirely possible he was content playing behind RoJo thinking he was next in line but has had a fire lit under him when he realized some of the younger players were threatening to or already had passed by him.