PDA

View Full Version : I guess the Cardinals are OK losing every fifth game

Todd4State
03-23-2014, 05:18 PM
They named Joe Kelly the starter over Carlos Martinez. You don't have to be Will James to see that Carlos is a better starting option.

Hell, I think Martinez is better than Lynn too.

It should be:

1. Wainwright
2. Wacha
3. Shelby Miller
4. CARLOS MARTINEZ
5. Lynn

bully99
03-23-2014, 05:29 PM
Todd what do you think about Dallas Woolfolk from Southhaven who committed to ole miss today. Was being recruited by a lot of SEC schools. What's your opinion of him.

Todd4State
03-23-2014, 05:30 PM
He's a good pitcher and I would have loved to have had him. He's one of the top six players in the state.

shoeless joe
03-23-2014, 05:37 PM
Man that 1-2 of wainwright and wacha is bout as good as anyone is gonna throw out. But the other 3 don't strike fear. Matheny has shown he's a good manager and even though I despise the cards I like him quite a bit. Just like always they'll prolly find themselves playing in October. Gonna be interesting to see what the reds and pirates have to say about it.

Todd4State
03-23-2014, 06:09 PM
Man that 1-2 of wainwright and wacha is bout as good as anyone is gonna throw out. But the other 3 don't strike fear. Matheny has shown he's a good manager and even though I despise the cards I like him quite a bit. Just like always they'll prolly find themselves playing in October. Gonna be interesting to see what the reds and pirates have to say about it.

Miller is very good. It was kind of weird in the postseason because Lynn and Kelly were better against the Dodgers and the Pirates in the regular season, so that's why they did what they did. But it also basically took their third best pitcher out of the equation. I think he will have a break out year.

Eventually, Jamie Garcia will be back as well. Probably by late May at the earliest and most likely June. At that point they'll move Kelly to the bullpen. Unfortunately, Martinez will still be in the bullpen and Lynn will be in the rotation.

If Garcia doesn't come back- I expect them to try to trade for a LH starter. Maybe someone like Mark Buehrle if the Blue Jays are out of it.

bully99
03-23-2014, 06:18 PM
Paul Maholm pitched last night for the Dodgers. Pitched to one batter and struck him out. Probably be a situational pitcher or a spot starter.

missouridawg
03-23-2014, 06:24 PM
You might pretend to know a lot about baseball... but you apparently don't know shit about Joe Kelly.

Joe got 15 starts in 2013 and was our rock last fall leading into the postseason. Once he was put into the rotation on June 21, he has a 4.22 ERA. By the end of the season, he was at 2.69.

Carlos Martinez is going to get his chance, but Joe Kelly is by no means a huge drop off on the unproven Carlos Martinez. This is a great problem to have.

If there's someone that should be bumped from the starting rotation, it's Lynn. If Garcia comes back, I could see the Cards moving Lynn.

Todd4State
03-23-2014, 07:48 PM
It's not so much that Kelly is bad as much as it is that Carlos Martinez is better and has outperformed Kelly this spring by a good bit. Carlos also pitched really well in the Dominican Winter League this year. Martinez's stuff is electric. Kelly struggled very early in the year out of the bullpen- but I was at the game where he kind of turned it around against Kansas City last year. That game freaking ended at like 3 AM and it was the day before our regional. I drove from St. Louis to Starkville and got in my seat at Dudy-Noble right before the first pitch of Mercer-South Alabama. I think Kelly's success as a starter was more about him making some adjustments and then things happening where he was put into the rotation more than it was about him being better as a starter vs. reliever.

Anyway, I think this is typical Cardinals "we don't want to rush someone so we're going to let them dominate AAA while the guy that isn't as good scuffles in the big leagues." Martinez should get his shot now. Babe Ruth got his shot because someone gave him a chance. It's not about who was best last year- it's about who is best now. They need to grow some balls and let the best people play.

To me, there's not really much difference between Lynn and Kelly. I would say Kelly is better than Lynn- I agree with that. BUT I also want the Cardinals to trade Lynn and his value is higher as a starter on the trade market than it is as a reliever. Neither have looked all that good in spring training. But I would dump Lynn because of his attitude at times.

ShotgunDawg
03-23-2014, 07:51 PM
The Cardinals also have Tim Cooney in AAA. Tim is an up and coming high floor 3/4 starter. He'll be in the rotation sooner than later

Todd4State
03-23-2014, 07:59 PM
The Cardinals also have Tim Cooney in AAA. Tim is an up and coming high floor 3/4 starter. He'll be in the rotation sooner than later

I think he's a relief guy in MLB. He gave up more hits than innings pitched and his ERA was 3.80 in AA as a starter. His K to BB ratio was really good though.

ShotgunDawg
03-23-2014, 08:17 PM
I think he's a relief guy in MLB. He gave up more hits than innings pitched and his ERA was 3.80 in AA as a starter. His K to BB ratio was really good though.

No chance. He is a starter. Trust me on this

Will James
03-23-2014, 09:00 PM
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/joe-kelly-and-the-trap-of-era/

Todd4State
03-23-2014, 09:34 PM
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/joe-kelly-and-the-trap-of-era/

Thanks for the bone.

Lloyd Christmas
03-24-2014, 08:12 AM
If there's someone that should be bumped from the starting rotation, it's Lynn. If Garcia comes back, I could see the Cards moving Lynn.

THIS. Lance Lynn is our worst of the starting five.