PDA

View Full Version : Practice Questions? C34 & others who may have attended?

justwin
03-23-2014, 02:58 PM
Christy hands like feet...does that mean he has large oversized hands or he can't catch?

Robinson @ OT - should we have made the decision for him to be a Guard years ago? I find it hard to believe that the coaches have continued to try and make him an OT for 2-3 years if he doesn't have the feet. Can he be a serviceable RG or is he just a big body? Seems like an intelligent kid.

Jocquell Johnson - does he look the part? Is it too early to provide observationss? Will he not be in the mix this year & next?

QB Williams - how does he differ from what Minshew could do under Coach Mullen? They appear to be the same size and similar ability w similar HS pedigree? Just thinking if the Meridian QB doesn't come through since he's #1.

Malcolm Johnson - how does his hands loook? Has he eliminated the dropsies?

Gus Walley - did he participate or hangout in the pit? Seems like he could be a good receiving TE whose added size....is this optimistic?

Who would be our starting safeties if we were to play today?

Thanks

Political Hack
03-23-2014, 03:28 PM
Has trouble catching the ball.

He's going to provide depth at OG or OT and won't start at either. We need the depth more at OT.

Didn't watch the OL enough to see Joq. Didn't see Gus Walley either.

MoJo had hands of glue. Looked as good as I've ever seen him look.

Market, Hughes, and Cox will all get a lot of reps at s. I think we'll see those 3, plus Evans roaring in some, take the spot over. Cox looks WAY more comfortable back there IMO.

Williams is probably a better athlete than Minshew, but Minshew is a much better passer than Williams. I see Minshew as a very legitimate QB prospect though and I hope he gets the chance to show out this summer.

HoopsDawg
03-23-2014, 03:52 PM
I saw a post where Paul said he asked 3 different D-linemen who was most improved on the O-line and they all said D-Robinson. There is a real chance he starts a RT.

Walley has been hurt his whole career.

I'm pumped about Cox at Safety. A lot of range and good ball skills.

Todd4State
03-23-2014, 04:30 PM

He's going to provide depth at OG or OT and won't start at either. We need the depth more at OT.

Market, Hughes, and Cox will all get a lot of reps at s. I think we'll see those 3, plus Evans roaring in some, take the spot over. Cox looks WAY more comfortable back there IMO.

Williams is probably a better athlete than Minshew, but Minshew is a much better passer than Williams. I see Minshew as a very legitimate QB prospect though and I hope he gets the chance to show out this summer.

I seen where Minchew just won an accuracy award at an Elite 11 Camp in Atlanta the other day.

Political Hack
03-23-2014, 04:41 PM
I saw a post where Paul said he asked 3 different D-linemen who was most improved on the O-line and they all said D-Robinson. There is a real chance he starts a RT.

I think it'll be Warren or Malone by kickoff.

Homedawg
03-23-2014, 04:49 PM
Malone is going to start at rt

Real Deal
03-23-2014, 05:34 PM
AJ Jefferson made Robinson his bitch Friday.

Noxdog
03-23-2014, 05:34 PM
I seen where Minchew just won an accuracy award at an Elite 11 Camp in Atlanta the other day.

nm

ShotgunDawg
03-23-2014, 07:44 PM
I don't care if we offer Minshew or not because I've never seen Minshew play. But what I do care about is that we have a QB that can run the damn ball and manipulate the pocket. We've been down the other road before and it ain't pretty.

I don't care how many camps, showcases, and awards he wins, if he can't RTGDB and manipulate/avoid the pass rush, then he needs to go somewhere else.

Little scouting secret: if you have to think for more than 2 seconds about whether he can do this, then he likely can't. Your mind will allow you to create any player you want if you think to long about it. BLINK: if it ain't a obvious, them don't offer him.

Mullen's offense works 90% of the time Everytime with a QB that can run. Why we would ever want to deviate from that is idiocy.

Coach34
03-23-2014, 08:21 PM
Great post by Shotgun...and if what I saw Friday is improvement by Robinson, I sure as shit am glad I didn't see what he was before. He can be back-up, but I can't see him starting unless we have a bunch of injuries

slickdawg
03-23-2014, 08:58 PM
I don't care if we offer Minshew or not because I've never seen Minshew play. But what I do care about is that we have a QB that can run the damn ball and manipulate the pocket. We've been down the other road before and it ain't pretty.

I don't care how many camps, showcases, and awards he wins, if he can't RTGDB and manipulate/avoid the pass rush, then he needs to go somewhere else.

Little scouting secret: if you have to think for more than 2 seconds about whether he can do this, then he likely can't. Your mind will allow you to create any player you want if you think to long about it. BLINK: if it ain't a obvious, them don't offer him.

Mullen's offense works 90% of the time Everytime with a QB that can run. Why we would ever want to deviate from that is idiocy.

Post of the day/month/year.

War Machine Dawg
03-23-2014, 09:47 PM

And we have a winner!

Political Hack
03-23-2014, 09:53 PM
anyone who thinks a 10 to 1 pass to run ratio is "a QB who can't run" is an idiot. Minshew can run. He runs as often as BYU's QB, who's one of the top dual threat QBs in the country.

Pollodawg
03-23-2014, 09:54 PM

Can you post this......like maybe a million times.

ShotgunDawg
03-23-2014, 09:58 PM
anyone who thinks a 10 to 1 pass to run ratio is "a QB who can't run" is an idiot. Minshew can run. He runs as often as BYU's QB, who's one of the top dual threat QBs in the country.

The stats on the matter mean little to me. When you watch him play, can he run or not? If I put a gun to your head and gave you two seconds to answer the question, on 3rd and 8 against Alabama, can he avoid the pass rush and run for a first down, what would you say? YES or NO?

Here is another free piece of advice: Evaluating players in very very difficult, as they come in all different shapes and skill sets. However, what separates elite talent evaluators from poor evaluators is the ability to be disciplined enough to walk away from good players that don't fit.

Coach34
03-23-2014, 10:07 PM

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/gardner-minshew/hFuMVfTtEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/gendersport/football-stats.htm

Rushing stats:

Soph- 56 carries, 199 yards...longest run was 14 yards
Jr- 31 carries, 129 yards

Sacks are included in the rushing attempts

Brigham Young QB Taysom Hill in high school:

Also rushed for 1,491 yards and 24 TDs, averaging 10.2 yards per carry and 124.3 rushing yards per game

http://byucougars.com/athlete/m-football/taysom-hill

One of these is not like the other

WinningIsRelentless
03-23-2014, 10:40 PM

If d Robinson starts at tackle we only win 7 games

Todd4State
03-23-2014, 11:53 PM
As I've said before- we'll find out if Minchew can run this summer.

I trust Dan on his evaluations. And I'm pretty sure Minchew knows what he has to do to get a scholarship from us.

Todd4State
03-23-2014, 11:56 PM
If d Robinson starts at tackle we only win 7 games

I think we all can agree that Damien Robinson has not and will not live up to the hype he had in high school. But that doesn't mean he can't be decent as a fifth year senior. Let's see if he improves or not- and if he doesn't, we start Malone like we all thought. Malone still might be better anyway no matter what from what it sounds like.

Political Hack
03-24-2014, 07:41 AM
http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/gardner-minshew/hFuMVfTtEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/gendersport/football-stats.htm

Rushing stats:

Soph- 56 carries, 199 yards...longest run was 14 yards
Jr- 31 carries, 129 yards

Sacks are included in the rushing attempts

Brigham Young QB Taysom Hill in high school:

Also rushed for 1,491 yards and 24 TDs, averaging 10.2 yards per carry and 124.3 rushing yards per game

http://byucougars.com/athlete/m-football/taysom-hill

One of these is not like the other

BYU runs more plays. 9 to 1 run to pass ratio. I'm she 10 to 1. Watch the film. the kid can run.

Political Hack
03-24-2014, 07:41 AM
The stats on the matter mean little to me. When you watch him play, can he run or not? If I put a gun to your head and gave you two seconds to answer the question, on 3rd and 8 against Alabama, can he avoid the pass rush and run for a first down, what would you say? YES or NO?

Here is another free piece of advice: Evaluating players in very very difficult, as they come in all different shapes and skill sets. However, what separates elite talent evaluators from poor evaluators is the ability to be disciplined enough to walk away from good players that don't fit.

free advice? cool. thanks.

justwin
03-24-2014, 11:04 PM
good stuff. I really hope that MoJo can have the same type of jump that Tubby had last year from his Soph to Jr year. MoJo had some timely drops and I think it still goes back to missing most of his soph year. If he can catch like I hear he can on gameday, it'll open up so much offensively.

Hopefully, Walley can get healthy one day

Cox & Hughes would be a very good combo.

Both Minshew & Williams seem like dual threat guys to me from similar offenses. Minshew does have moxie though

justwin
03-24-2014, 11:05 PM
good to hear about Damien. thanks

justwin
03-24-2014, 11:10 PM
agree on being elusive in the pocket, but I'll only extend on this point in that I hope he can complete passes...especially against the SEC West. In the past 20 years, we've had our fair share of athletes playing QB and none of them can complete passes vs the big boys of the SEC West and it always ends up in losses. I just don't think it's as simple as needing a running QB, but more that Dan needs to finally figure out to build the MSU offense around our homegrown big RBs. To me, Dan's clueless on how best to use RBs. Then, mix in a QB that's somewhat elusive/convert a few first downs with his feet, but more importantly can really complete passes to the outside weapons. Then, the offense really gets going. I just don't think we can expect that many Dak Prescotts are giong to keep walking through the door.

justwin
03-24-2014, 11:12 PM
ouch. so sounds like he's a body. Could he be a RG as that sounds like it's his only shot @ contributing?

Great post by Shotgun...and if what I saw Friday is improvement by Robinson, I sure as shit am glad I didn't see what he was before. He can be back-up, but I can't see him starting unless we have a bunch of injuries

justwin
03-24-2014, 11:15 PM
that's funny..I don't know if we've ever had one of those. If our qb was Relf or Tyler, I say hell no. I could see Dak or Minshew or the Meridian QB Smith escaping the pocket and converting as I would think the DBs would have to respect their passing first.

War Machine Dawg
03-24-2014, 11:17 PM
good stuff. I really hope that MoJo can have the same type of jump that Tubby had last year from his Soph to Jr year. MoJo had some timely drops and I think it still goes back to missing most of his soph year. If he can catch like I hear he can on gameday, it'll open up so much offensively.

Hopefully, Walley can get healthy one day

Hurt players stay hurt. Ask Tobias Smith. Walley is apparently made of glass, too. Sucks for him.

justwin
03-24-2014, 11:18 PM
Yes, gotta give the coaches credit for identifying Malone & Clayborn. I'd be thrilled if Malone can be the RT..with his intelligence you have to think that it could be a very long term and lucrative move for him. I also hope Johnson can compete and get into the rotation ala Siddoway.

I think we all can agree that Damien Robinson has not and will not live up to the hype he had in high school. But that doesn't mean he can't be decent as a fifth year senior. Let's see if he improves or not- and if he doesn't, we start Malone like we all thought. Malone still might be better anyway no matter what from what it sounds like.

Political Hack
03-25-2014, 07:33 AM
Yes, gotta give the coaches credit for identifying Malone & Clayborn. I'd be thrilled if Malone can be the RT..with his intelligence you have to think that it could be a very long term and lucrative move for him. I also hope Johnson can compete and get into the rotation ala Siddoway.

welcome to the O-Line Academy.