PDA

View Full Version : Randall Cobb clone?

justwin
03-23-2014, 02:45 PM
Can Myles be as electric for MSU as Cobb was for UK? Good to hear coaches have finally figured out he's an offensive player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAkLCK-w0rA Myles has superb ball skills

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i09R28AWgFU Cobb's UK highlights.

Myles is 6' 183 while Cobb is 5'10" 192...so similar in size. I wonder (hope) that Coach Mullen is starting to see that not only is he an offensive player, but he could be a gamebreaker on STs. I really like would like to see him as a punt returner due to his ability to catch the football which would alleviate a ton of stress with our STs.

food for thought, here are Cobb's UK stats: http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/randall-cobb-1.html

defiantdog
03-23-2014, 03:55 PM
Without a doubt.... I like the comparison. Both were high school qb's, both are elusive as hell, and both were recruited as a 2* / 3* (depending on who's rating them).

The main difference is Myles will have to compete with Lewis this year and Graham & Gray next year (and most likely Dear). Cobb was the shining star in Kentucky's receiving core. Myles will probably get lost in the rotation this year and fight Graham, Gray, and Dear next year. Honestly, when was the last time we could say we were loaded at receivers?

esplanade91
03-23-2014, 07:21 PM
Cobb was by far and away the most exciting guy in our league his final year, and not because the SEC was lacking...

If he could be half as good as Cobb he'd be a baller.

ETA: Obviously every coach has since forgotten his parting words to UK fans, evident in the fact that they now beat us out for recruits.

Coach34
03-24-2014, 12:09 PM
Chapelle is probably going to get reps ahead of Myles this year at the slot. He's running 2nd team and looks solid there. Both he and Tubby are Sr's so it will create a wide open race at slot for 2015.

Pollodawg
03-24-2014, 12:13 PM
I was at the game in 2010 when UK came to Starkville. Cob was far and away the fastest player on the field. The vid doesn't even do it justice.

Coach66
03-24-2014, 01:19 PM
Can Myles be as electric for MSU as Cobb was for UK? Good to hear coaches have finally figured out he's an offensive player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAkLCK-w0rA Myles has superb ball skills

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i09R28AWgFU Cobb's UK highlights.

Myles is 6' 183 while Cobb is 5'10" 192...so similar in size. I wonder (hope) that Coach Mullen is starting to see that not only is he an offensive player, but he could be a gamebreaker on STs. I really like would like to see him as a punt returner due to his ability to catch the football which would alleviate a ton of stress with our STs.

food for thought, here are Cobb's UK stats: http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/randall-cobb-1.html

Miles is doing great and the coaches have really started to see a bigger role for him. Mitchell is very high on him.

justwin
03-24-2014, 11:22 PM
yeah, I just think guys who can really catch the football always find spots on field ala hitters in baseball. If you can hit, they find a spot for you. There's just not many kids out there who can really catch the ball naturally and Myles seems to have that special ability.

Without a doubt.... I like the comparison. Both were high school qb's, both are elusive as hell, and both were recruited as a 2* / 3* (depending on who's rating them).

The main difference is Myles will have to compete with Lewis this year and Graham & Gray next year (and most likely Dear). Cobb was the shining star in Kentucky's receiving core. Myles will probably get lost in the rotation this year and fight Graham, Gray, and Dear next year. Honestly, when was the last time we could say we were loaded at receivers?

justwin
03-24-2014, 11:23 PM
wow! I actually like that move of putting a big body inside. Chappelle has pretty good hands too & very aggressive to the ball.

Chapelle is probably going to get reps ahead of Myles this year at the slot. He's running 2nd team and looks solid there. Both he and Tubby are Sr's so it will create a wide open race at slot for 2015.

justwin
03-24-2014, 11:24 PM
good stuff

Miles is doing great and the coaches have really started to see a bigger role for him. Mitchell is very high on him.

esplanade91
03-25-2014, 08:42 AM
wow! I actually like that move of putting a big body inside. Chappelle has pretty good hands too & very aggressive to the ball.

Hate to give them credit for anything but Ole Miss putting Treadwell at the slot worked, and that was with them not being able to go far over the middle.

thf24
03-25-2014, 09:19 AM
Hate to give them credit for anything but Ole Miss putting Treadwell at the slot worked, and that was with them not being able to go far over the middle.

Treadwell at slot was effective, but I can't help but suspect that the concept started as nothing more than simply wanting to get him on the field in a place he could contribute. If it was a scheme thing in wanting to have a big body at slot, why not put Ja Mes Logan there and use Treadwell's superior athleticism on the outside? This is why I'm not sold that he's going to be a down-field monster this year like they're saying he is. Seems like there's got to be a reason he didn't play that role last year.

Bubb Rubb
03-25-2014, 12:45 PM
Treadwell at slot was effective, but I can't help but suspect that the concept started as nothing more than simply wanting to get him on the field in a place he could contribute. If it was a scheme thing in wanting to have a big body at slot, why not put Ja Mes Logan there and use Treadwell's superior athleticism on the outside? This is why I'm not sold that he's going to be a down-field monster this year like they're saying he is. Seems like there's got to be a reason he didn't play that role last year.

I don't think he played that role last year mainly because they don't have a deep threat at QB. Treadwell in the slot is really a waste of the guy's talent, but they are pretty limited due to QB issues. With Moncrief moving on, I suspect they'll move him outside, but it's going to be interesting to see how they use him. He's a stud, though, and they were just trying to find ways to get him the ball.