PDA

View Full Version : Matthew Britton

MsStateBaseball
03-23-2014, 07:54 AM
I would say he is a natural 3b. Great and I mean great insight/job by Cohen/staff to see this. I don't think he played it in fall, don't know. Vandy would have reached 5? more times if it was detz. Gets more comfortable at bat too.

bulldogcountry1
03-23-2014, 08:17 AM
I never thought I would say this, but I don't care if he hits .200. He's been that good at 3rd.

dickiedawg
03-23-2014, 08:20 AM
He's also getting on base at .440 plus.
Obviously OBP isn't everything but it makes the Mendoza line BA easier to swallow.

MetEdDawg
03-23-2014, 08:28 AM
Obviously OBP isn't everything but it makes the Mendoza line BA easier to swallow.

This is why somebody will draft him. Dude has a MLB 3B arm no question. That BA is awful. But what is the one saving grace that pro teams will use to take a flyer on a guy that may not hit that terribly well? OBP all day long. A MLB team can help you with hitting, but they have to be impressed by the arm because that's something that can translate to the next level. Hell, almost every team uses 8th and 9th inning defensive subs now. With that arm why could he not be one of those guys eventually? If that's his lot in life, you have to say that's a pretty big win for him considering where he was a few years ago.

Doc
03-23-2014, 08:31 AM
The play he made behind the bag last night was one of the best plays I have ever seen a third baseman make at Dudy. Guy has a cannon.

Doc
03-23-2014, 08:35 AM
This is why somebody will draft him. Dude has a MLB 3B arm no question. That BA is awful. But what is the one saving grace that pro teams will use to take a flyer on a guy that may not hit that terribly well? OBP all day long. A MLB team can help you with hitting, but they have to be impressed by the arm because that's something that can translate to the next level. Hell, almost every team uses 8th and 9th inning defensive subs now. With that arm why could he not be one of those guys eventually? If that's his lot in life, you have to say that's a pretty big win for him considering where he was a few years ago.

Major leagues like for corner infielders to hit for some power if they can't hit for average. Right now Britton has neither. Because of this he might have a better shot at SS where he has a lot of potential. Not as much pressure to hit at SS where his defense might keep him on the field.

Bully13
03-23-2014, 08:54 AM
The play he made behind the bag last night was one of the best plays I have ever seen a third baseman make at Dudy. Guy has a cannon.

Very few players in MLB would have made that back handed short hop scoop before the great throw to first either. Dude has serious skills.

KB21
03-23-2014, 09:05 AM
OBP is far more important than AVG. There have been a lot of statistical studies done on this, and OBP is far more correlated with winning than AVG. In fact, we should be paying a lot more attention to OBP and SLG from a basic stats standpoint.

The fact is, you can't score unless you are getting on base.

Will James
03-23-2014, 09:06 AM

Lets not get ahead of ourselves on his eagle eye at the plate. Two years ago he only had 17 BB in 153 PA's. None last year. Sample sizes make the difference. I like him at 3rd and think he can be a productive hitter but 2013 Alex Detz he is not.

Drugdog
03-23-2014, 09:06 AM
Top 3 Best Throws I have seen at DNF.
1. Will Clark threw a runner out at home after running into foul territory about half way down right field.
2. Brad Hildreath- many throws.
3. Britton- Last night.

Todd4State
03-23-2014, 09:11 AM
I know people remember Matthew Maniscalco who was a tremendous defensive player- but he couldn't hit very well. He only made it up to AAA. Someone might take a chance on Britton, but it's highly unlikely that he will make it up unless he can hit. It's pretty rare to see a guy like Pete Kozma that actually make it up- and currently the Cardinals are trying to trade him because he can't hit.

Last night it looked like his front shoulder was flying open.

Todd4State
03-23-2014, 09:13 AM
Lets not get ahead of ourselves on his eagle eye at the plate. Two years ago he only had 17 BB in 153 PA's. None last year. Sample sizes make the difference. I like him at 3rd and think he can be a productive hitter but 2013 Alex Detz he is not.

Experience makes a difference too. Especially in college. No doubt Britton needs to get better offensively though.

MetEdDawg
03-23-2014, 09:20 AM

Never said anything about him being Alex Detz 2013 or that he has an eagle eye. All I said was that pro teams look at someone's OBP and that with his arm he can make it. Does he have a smaller sample size? Yes. But he does have 10 walks and 2 HBP in 26 ABs. I'm pretty cool with that.

Like I said, that arm is draftable and his OBP doesn't hurt. Majors can work with hitting but you can't teach that arm and it's nice to see a .440 OBP there too even with the smaller sample size.

tcdog70
03-23-2014, 11:24 AM
Top 3 Best Throws I have seen at DNF.
1. Will Clark threw a runner out at home after running into foul territory about half way down right field.
2. Brad Hildreath- many throws.
3. Britton- Last night.

You must be too young for Freddie Dunlap and Bill Rorie both had cannons

CadaverDawg
03-23-2014, 11:27 AM
Britton has a great eye at the plate. He simply doesn't chase bad pitches. I fully expect him to get his bat going as the SEC season progresses and he sees more pitches. If he can get up to around .280 and keep that OBP up, mission accomplished with him.

Bubb Rubb
03-23-2014, 12:19 PM

OBP definitely isn't everything. But it almost is. Slot a low BA, high OBP in the right spot in the order, and it's exactly what you need.

Intramural All-American
03-23-2014, 12:54 PM
Come on, man. That's crazy talk. It was a very nice play, but every 3B in the bigs could make that play. Obviously not every time, but Britton wouldn't make that play every time either.

Also, I remember some very nice throws from Renfroe the past two years.

Doc
03-23-2014, 01:40 PM
You must be too young for Freddie Dunlap and Bill Rorie both had cannons

I remember Bobby Thigpen throwing a a dude out from the warning track in right field trying to tag up and go to third from second.

KB21
03-23-2014, 02:42 PM
Come on, man. That's crazy talk. It was a very nice play, but every 3B in the bigs could make that play. Obviously not every time, but Britton wouldn't make that play every time either.

Also, I remember some very nice throws from Renfroe the past two years.

Chris Johnson couldn't make that play.

msstate7
03-23-2014, 02:49 PM

Chris Johnson might or might not could make that play, but Chris can rip line drives all over the park. Britton will never make the show at 3b unless he makes a girodo like improvement offensively. Mlb 3b has to hit

Intramural All-American
03-23-2014, 02:51 PM

I will change my stance. Maybe every one cannot, but most can. He did not make a play that few MLB players could make though. I personally feel like Johnson could have made it. Only 3B I can think of that may not could have is Zimmerman due to his arm problems.

msstate7
03-23-2014, 04:18 PM
Britton will never see mlb unless he pays admission. Like him, but he's got zero chance