PDA

View Full Version : If Only We Had Signed Touki...

engie
03-22-2014, 11:58 PM
Maybe we could occasionally sneak up and steal one from the big boys like Vandy. Might even win more than 10-12 SEC games if Cohen wasn't such a consistently shitty recruiter that is always chasing a bunch of no-name jucos**

messageboardsuperhero
03-23-2014, 12:01 AM
Don't question bully99. He's "watched a lot of baseball" and has "forgotten more about the game than any of us will ever know."***

Homedawg
03-23-2014, 12:09 AM
Maybe we could occasionally sneak up and steal one from the big boys like Vandy. Might even win more than 10-12 SEC games if Cohen wasn't such a consistently shitty recruiter that is always chasing a bunch of no-name jucos**

This might go down as my fav baseball post ever.

bully99
03-23-2014, 12:11 AM
You got that right superhero and don't ever forget it. You don't think Touki and Dylan Cease could help this program if they had come here. Signed with Vandy, May not go to college, but they signed, even though Cease had to be shut down because of shoulder problems. Listen to me and you lads may learn something.

Homedawg
03-23-2014, 12:16 AM
You got that right superhero and don't ever forget it. You don't think Touki and Dylan Cease could help this program if they had come here. Signed with Vandy, May not go to college, but they signed, even though Cease had to be shut down because of shoulder problems. Listen to me and you lads may learn something.

Did you forget the sarcastrics? If not this post has led you to idiot status.

Todd4State
03-23-2014, 12:16 AM
The funny thing to me is Vandy is essentially built exactly the same way we are. They don't have JUCO's- but they have the same type of players that we do. Actually, they may be even more small ball than us.

They're built around pitching and defense. Very fast team.

But when one person complains about recruiting- I'm pretty sure he has Vanderbilt in mind.

Homedawg
03-23-2014, 12:18 AM
I'm willing to bet vandy spends a greater % of the 11.7 on pitching than any team in the country.

State82
03-23-2014, 12:23 AM
I'm willing to bet vandy spends a greater % of the 11.7 on pitching than any team in the country.

Vandy scoffs at the 11.7 farce. That's the reason they are where they are in the sport of collegiate baseball.

Todd4State
03-23-2014, 12:24 AM

We'll see about Cease since we know he has an injury. I wouldn't be shocked if Vandy pulls his scholarship.

The question you need to be asking is would they have helped any more than a Ross and a Preston Brown have? Point being- you don't have to have first round draft talent to be a good team. We need guys that are going to work hard and pound the strike zone.

Todd4State
03-23-2014, 12:26 AM

I'm pretty sure you are correct about that. There have also long been rumors of Vandy bending the 11.7 rule to the limit to say the least.

It will be interesting to see what happens to them long term- their old pitching coach, Derek Johnson, was kind of the mastermind behind their pitching staff. He left for the Cubs and I think over the next few years they will feel the effects of losing him.

messageboardsuperhero
03-23-2014, 12:28 AM

Let's just say Vandy uses more 11.7 scholarships in baseball and leave it at that.

messageboardsuperhero
03-23-2014, 12:30 AM

Sure, I think Touki and Beede would help us out- just like Ross Mitchell would help out Vandy.

bully99
03-23-2014, 12:39 AM
If vandy pulls ceases scholly, then Corbin is a prick. If Vandy goes over the limit,it wouldn't be the first in the sec. Bertman was notorious for doing that at lsu, allegedly of course. If Polk had run his program like skippy ,polk might have a boatload of titles.

Todd4State
03-23-2014, 12:47 AM
Sure, I think Touki and Beede would help us out- just like Ross Mitchell would help out Vandy.

People forget that Cohen is still building his program here. Vanderbilt has been going at it longer than Cohen- and they have had a lot of success with high round pitchers in the past.

The more success we have and the more people like ESPN keep calling Butch one of the best pitching coaches in the country- I imagine we may get a few first round type guys ourselves.

Hopefully we will have another deep postseason run so that we can build a string of high level success- which will lead to even better recruiting.

Regardless- I still don't think Touki goes to college. I do think Cease will go to school- and if Vandy pulls his scholarship, I'd take a flyer on him. Low risk, high reward.

Jesse McCord is a very good pitching prospect- he made MaxPreps All-American last year. I think we got a steal in Aaron Dominguez from Callifornia based on how he has been throwing so far. And I wouldn't be shocked if those two have more impact than Touki and Cease do as far as college goes.

Todd4State
03-23-2014, 01:03 AM
If vandy pulls ceases scholly, then Corbin is a prick. If Vandy goes over the limit,it wouldn't be the first in the sec. Bertman was notorious for doing that at lsu, allegedly of course. If Polk had run his program like skippy ,polk might have a boatload of titles.

I wish Polk ran us like Bertman ran LSU. I guess it's just easier to blame Title IX.

shoeless joe
03-23-2014, 07:26 AM
Doesn't Vandy get lottery money? Or whatever the "correct" term is? If so 11.7 really means nothing.

maroonmania
03-23-2014, 08:02 AM
We'll see about Cease since we know he has an injury. I wouldn't be shocked if Vandy pulls his scholarship.

The question you need to be asking is would they have helped any more than a Ross and a Preston Brown have? Point being- you don't have to have first round draft talent to be a good team. We need guys that are going to work hard and pound the strike zone.

In the college game today, with the dead bats, the biggest key to pitching is just not walking or hitting people and having reasonable location and movement. Gotta throw strikes, the rest is just gravy. If you make teams EARN their runs by forcing them to get multiple hits in an inning to score you aren't going to give up a lot of runs these days. Currently that is a difference between the college game and MLB. In the MLB there are so many good hitters in the lineups that JUST throwing strikes without great location and movement WILL get you beat plus the fact that the major league strike zone is tighter. The new baseball coming may change some of that in a few years but for now, for the most part, college pitchers don't really have to fear the long ball much in a park like the Dude and can just rare back and throw strikes. That's why currently what makes for a very good college pitcher doesn't necessarily translate directly to what a MLB scout is looking for.

AlSwearengen
03-23-2014, 09:27 AM
It isn't an excuse to suck, which is what Polk II had us doing, but we still get screwed when it comes to scholarship money. Vandy doing whatever they are doing, lsu and georgia have hope scholarships. I think I remember reading that every SEC state other than MS and AL have a way around the 11.7 rule.

Todd4State
03-23-2014, 09:29 AM
In the college game today, with the dead bats, the biggest key to pitching is just not walking or hitting people and having reasonable location and movement. Gotta throw strikes, the rest is just gravy. If you make teams EARN their runs by forcing them to get multiple hits in an inning to score you aren't going to give up a lot of runs these days. Currently that is a difference between the college game and MLB. In the MLB there are so many good hitters in the lineups that JUST throwing strikes without great location and movement WILL get you beat plus the fact that the major league strike zone is tighter. The new baseball coming may change some of that in a few years but for now, for the most part, college pitchers don't really have to fear the long ball much in a park like the Dude and can just rare back and throw strikes. That's why currently what makes for a very good college pitcher doesn't necessarily translate directly to what a MLB scout is looking for.

I don't know if the strike zone is tighter or not- but MLB umpires are a LOT more consistent with their strike zone compared to SEC umpires. Except for Angel Hernandez.

But I agree for the most part.

Todd4State
03-23-2014, 09:33 AM
It isn't an excuse to suck, which is what Polk II had us doing, but we still get screwed when it comes to scholarship money. Vandy doing whatever they are doing, lsu and georgia have hope scholarships. I think I remember reading that every SEC state other than MS and AL have a way around the 11.7 rule.

They do have a way around the 11.7 rule. I can't remember the specifics- but I think in Vandy's case it had something to do with them being a private school.

We have a way around the 11.7 rule as well- academic scholarships. It's just that Polk chose not to use them as much as Cohen and his staff do. It's not a coincidence that our team GPA has set records under Cohen. We get our players as much as we possibly and legally can.

bully99
03-23-2014, 09:56 AM
Angel Hernandez And C B Bucknor

maroonmania
03-23-2014, 01:39 PM
I don't know if the strike zone is tighter or not- but MLB umpires are a LOT more consistent with their strike zone compared to SEC umpires. Except for Angel Hernandez.

But I agree for the most part.

After watching many, many years of both college and MLB baseball there is no doubt, at least in what I see, that the college umps, in general, give another inch or two on each corner than MLB umps do. Now I know he was to the extreme but the HP ump this past Friday night was so far beyond giving strikes on the corner than the majors that it was a joke. I do think the high and low bounds of the strike zone are fairly close in each.

SouthMsDawg
03-24-2014, 03:03 PM

Kendall Rogers told me b/c Vandy is a private school like Stanford and others they are able to give full scholarships to 27 players with money from other type of leadership/academic scholarships

esplanade91
03-24-2014, 04:13 PM
I'm pretty sure you are correct about that. There have also long been rumors of Vandy bending the 11.7 rule to the limit to say the least.

It will be interesting to see what happens to them long term- their old pitching coach, Derek Johnson, was kind of the mastermind behind their pitching staff. He left for the Cubs and I think over the next few years they will feel the effects of losing him.

I went to high school with some Dandy Dozens who flamed out in college, but their senior year they were offered "leadership" scholarships from Millsaps that would essentially give them a full-ride. Private schools will always be better in sports that have limited scholarships. Baseball is the most obvious.

I seen it dawg
03-24-2014, 08:27 PM
Did you forget the sarcastrics? If not this post has led you to idiot status.

Where have you been? He passed idiot a long time ago. Personally I think he's a troll....