PDA

View Full Version : C34's Friday Practice assessment

Coach34
03-22-2014, 04:09 PM
1. Loved the energy and tempo of the practice. Lots of hype by the players and constant competition. Very good team atmospere
2. You can forget Fitzgerald playing any other position besides QB. He needs to redshirt to work on mechanics and grow as a QB- but he is going to be a good one. Prescott works with him and coaches him on what to do when it's his turn for reps to make sure he knows what to do.
3. Nick Griffin is running with the TB's and working hard. Hope he keeps making progress.
4. JRob and Shump look like absolute animals. They are just 2 good looking RB's
5. We have moved Chris Jones to the defensive right playing beside Smith. I love the move- with the those 2 on the same side, we should get a great pass rush off the backside.
6. Nick James looks like he has lost 40 pounds. Working hard, practicing hard. Keep it up until Sept 1st please big man. He will be starting with Jones by Game 3 unless we just start Eulls because he is a Sr. Whichever one is the back-up- they will be the best back-up DT in the SEC.
7. MoJo looks real good. Beat McKinney on a seam route down the hash with BMac holding his inside arm- he one handed it for a 25 yd catch. Then he got on BMac's ass and flipped him the ball. And then BMac threw it and hit him in the back with it. And MoJo just laughed louder. God I love football.
8. Shelby Christy has hands like feet.
9. Bear is a hoss out there. Our CB's hate covering him. Expect him to take another big step forward this year.
10. Ryan Brown is going to be pretty good this year. We will be fine there with him and AJ replacing Autry.
11. Our secondary is outstanding and we have 4 Safetys good enough to start.
12. Clayborn is Gabe Jackson Jr. He is headed to the league.
13. Justin Senior and Kent Flowers will be solid guys on the OL in time.
14. Rufus Warren will be ok at tackle- he just has to get alot of technique work.
15. I would be ok if I never saw Damien Robinson or Jake Thomas practice again. Hoooo-leeee-shit. I don't see how Hevesy doesn't lose his ****ing mind with those two. What Ryan Brown did to Thomas a couple of times was borderline assault. Then another time he went by him like LeBron beating JJ Reddick off the dribble. Thomas will get better with time- but he has a ways to go. Damien has no excuses in year 5. He's just not mean enough.
16. That said, our OL will be pretty good when Malone gets back. Muniz is backing up at Center...Johnson, Flowers, and Senior give us some depth.

We are going to be a good ****ing football team this Fall. In talking to one of our defensive players at the baseball game- he said he thinks our offense is better now than it was at anytime last year. And it is. Our defense is full of future NFL players. 2014 is our shot.

Political Hack
03-22-2014, 04:18 PM
the defense is as good as it's been since 99. They are stacked. Safety is the only spot where they'll need to find a good rotation, but we've got a lot of bodies there. Cox looks way more natural back there too. He's still going to have to come up and tackle a little better, but he's reading the plays and moving really well. Also, having a safety that can slide down into the slot and man up will be a huge benefit. Nickoe got busted a lot with that last year. Won't be a problem for us this season.

War Machine Dawg
03-22-2014, 04:20 PM
I'm a little disappointed we aren't using Griffin as a FB, but totally unsurprised. Sucks for him.

Love the good news on Nick James. Bottom line, we have 3 "starting" DTs next season, if he keeps it up.

Glad to hear Fitzgerald is progressing. He's raw, but it sounds like he's doing what it takes to improve. Best of all is hearing that Dak is helping him. Leadership.

It's going to be hard as hell for me to keep the wool to a reasonable length by kickoff. Hoping I can make it down to a practice or two before the Maroon & White Game. I really think we'll have a legit shot at the West this season.

Esmerelda Villalobos
03-22-2014, 04:21 PM
I got roasted when i said jake thomas would never be anything more than a backup.

But but but he is a 4 star!!!!

Im not terrified if our OL isnt great. I would be if tyler was still qb but not with dak. The line has to be decent, not great. Besides, we can always move a TE to the right side if it becomes a problem

War Machine Dawg
03-22-2014, 04:24 PM
I got roasted when i said jake thomas would never be anything more than a backup.

I told everyone that Robinson was a project when we recruited him. Not surprised he hasn't panned out. And I said the same thing about Deon Mix you said about Thomas. Jury is still out, but I'm pretty confident he'll never be a contributor for Auburn.

Thomas could still figure it out, and I hope he does. We need these highly rated OL guys to pan out when we sign them. That's the one are where we've struggled badly with evaluating guys.

HoopsDawg
03-22-2014, 04:24 PM
We are so ****ing close, that's why it pisses me off we don't have 1 other stud O-linemen or a kicker. That's really all we need to win 10 games.

HoopsDawg
03-22-2014, 04:26 PM
I told everyone that Robinson was a project when we recruited him. Not surprised he hasn't panned out. And I said the same thing about Deon Mix you said about Thomas. Jury is still out, but I'm pretty confident he'll never be a contributor for Auburn.

Thomas could still figure it out, and I hope he does. We need these highly rated OL guys to pan out when we sign them. That's the one are where we've struggled badly with evaluating guys.

Damn near everyone thought Robinson was a project. Every major program backed off in the end. But yeah, some posters were enamored with his size and stars. Jake Thomas probably needs to be a guard.

Bothrops
03-22-2014, 04:29 PM
That sucks about Thomas and Robinson. If I was that size, nobody would beat my ass like that. How has Desper looked? Hope #88 hangs in there, he will have fun on the field this year.This defense sounds like they'll be running on diesel.

defiantdog
03-22-2014, 04:32 PM
To give the OL "some" credit.... Ryan Brown, Preston Smith, and Chris Jones are just stupid nasty on every snap. The OL can't get on their heals or miss a step because those 3 will put them on their ass. Also like how Nick James was jawing at the offense. He's gonna rip some face masks off.

Also impressive, is the run blocking by our receivers. Wilson, RoJo, and Brown are about as aggressive as we've ever had on the outside.

Esmerelda Villalobos
03-22-2014, 04:33 PM
We need to go all in on javon patterson this year. We will be hurting next year. Why cant we get a tackle?

Just think if we had Laremy Tunsil on the right side this year

Ifyouonlyknew
03-22-2014, 04:48 PM
We need to go all in on javon patterson this year. We will be hurting next year. Why cant we get a tackle?

We need to go all out on Patterson but he's a guard not a tackle. He's only around 6'3.

gravedigger
03-22-2014, 04:49 PM
I saw the same thing today coach except that clayborn and clausell handled the c jones pretty well.

Dak isn't in rhythm yet but that is expected.

I got pretty close to nick James and he's still got conditioning to do. Ran second team and was out of breath but he has a new can do attitude that could make all the difference since he lost the weight.

We still won't beat teams on deep routes but if they can't keep dak pinned down we have the receiver size and talent to split zones and take chunks of yardage.

Devin bell is a hell of a punter. There is a kicker named Westin graves that has a decent leg but sobeisk will still be the man.

Tubby is first at punt returns then Redmond.

HoopsDawg
03-22-2014, 05:07 PM
We need to go all out on Patterson but he's a guard not a tackle. He's only around 6'3.

Our O-line for Dak's senior year, could suck.

LT: Senior
LG: Clayborn
C: who the hell knows
RG: Danely from Juco
RT: Malone, hopefully

Ugh

Coach34
03-22-2014, 05:12 PM
Warren will be pretty good eventually...he needs rep after rep

maroonmania
03-22-2014, 05:17 PM

Im not terrified if our OL isnt great. I would be if tyler was still qb but not with dak. The line has to be decent, not great. Besides, we can always move a TE to the right side if it becomes a problem

I'm actually more disappointed that there seems to be no mention of Devon Desper. I had high hopes for him coming out of HS and assumed he would be the heir apparent to Dillon Day's job after this year. Doesn't sound encouraging though if Muniz is actually the backup at C currently.

CadaverDawg
03-22-2014, 05:17 PM
Our O-line for Dak's senior year, could suck.

LT: Senior
LG: Clayborn
C: who the hell knows
RG: Danely from Juco
RT: Malone, hopefully

Ugh

Desper at C, right?

maroonmania
03-22-2014, 05:18 PM

From everything I've heard Patterson is a Guard.

Westdawg
03-22-2014, 05:20 PM
Anyone see anything from Devon desper, at center? I know that is supposed to his position but not a word about him so far.

MetEdDawg
03-22-2014, 05:23 PM
Desper at C, right?

That's my understanding. Also, I think at that point Flowers would be in the mix somewhere, whether it be at tackle or guard. We really are hurting for a solid, no doubt LT/RT. If he ends up at guard, a Clayborn/Flowers/Desper inside 3 is not that terrible. But who the hell is playing tackle is a good question. I'm not sold on Senior even though he's still very young. Maybe by that time Jocquell will have solidified RT and then someone will have stepped up at LT.

HoopsDawg
03-22-2014, 05:28 PM
Desper at C, right?

Desper struggled at C and has been moved to Guard.

Bothrops
03-22-2014, 05:31 PM
Good natural tackles are not only hard to find but everyone wants them. With all the big time programs we compete with, it's no wonder that we struggle here.

biggun
03-22-2014, 06:00 PM
After Jake struggled mightily in pass protection all night long in a plyoff game his Senior year against Madison Central, I had my doubts about him playing OT in the SEC. I imagine they will look at moving him to OG but he must get much bigger and stronger to play inside, he is not close right now and if he plays in anything but blow outs this year, then we are in Serious Trouble!

Same goes for D Robinson, I still have nightmares thinking back to his performance in Oxford 2 years ago. Tyler is lucky to be alive after the beating he took that night.

Coach34
03-22-2014, 06:05 PM
2015 OL:

LT- Malone
LG- Clayborn
C- ?????
RG- Flowers
RT- Warren

we need a Center and the 2015 OL will be fine

MetEdDawg
03-22-2014, 06:08 PM
2015 OL:

LT- Senior
LG- Clayborn
C- ?????
RG- Flowers
RT- Malone

You have to hope that it's Desper or some older guy that takes a lot of reps between now and then. Would really like to have an experienced, older signal caller Dak's last year. I'm wondering about Deion Calhoun. Lot of people seem to really like him and think he could be another OL gem for us. If he can step up this year in the weight room, he might force his way on the field somewhere in 2015, potentially at center.

Coach34
03-22-2014, 06:11 PM
Is Muniz a Sr? He actually looks ok there

MetEdDawg
03-22-2014, 06:15 PM
Is Muniz a Sr? He actually looks ok there

Yep he is a senior. I guess the other one you might could look at is Cole Carter. Not sure how he's looked a practice though. I guess he's been at guard? Might be a bit tall for center at 6' 6". We've got a lot of bodies but none that necessarily excite you if you see their name. Got to figure that out because you need to have a legit option for 2015 and you would prefer them to be able to get reps this year.

Todd4State
03-22-2014, 06:16 PM
I've heard from several people that Desper hasn't looked good at center- what specifically is the issue?

Also as far as star ratings and o-linemen I pay the least amount of attention to stars by o-linemen's names. The services simply can't evaluate them all that well. That's a big reason why I don't jump on Hevesey's ass all that much about recruiting.

Bothrops
03-22-2014, 06:17 PM
Muniz is Sr.

HoopsDawg
03-22-2014, 06:26 PM
2015 OL:

LT- Malone
LG- Clayborn
C- ?????
RG- Flowers
RT- Warren

Let's see, you have a LT who has never played a game even at RT and hasn't been able to go thru drills yet in Malone. No center. A RG who is RFr this year and no one knows if he can play or not. And a converted TE at RT who you blasted yesterday. Yeah, we will be fine.

Stallings was supposed to be our center in 2015, but we blew it on his visit and he signed with UK. We may have to move Clayborn to Center and let Danley and Flowers or someone play guard.

Cole Carter is working 3rd string LT right now. Senior is 2nd string.

Coach34
03-22-2014, 06:31 PM
Malone will be one of our best linemen- not worried about him
Warren will be fine in time

Center is a bigger worry than OT for the future

defiantdog
03-22-2014, 07:02 PM
Now Jordan Harris, Elgton Jenkins, and Deion Calhoun might turn out to be pretty good. And I know Calhoun is gonna be good. I understand everyone looks past him because he's an academy kid. But so was Clayborn.

esplanade91
03-22-2014, 07:13 PM
JUCO recruiting is going to be huge this year. It has to be. That, or some true freshmen are looking at PT. Could be an easy sell to highly touted guys if Dak has the year we expect.

esplanade91
03-22-2014, 07:16 PM
We'll find out about Harris in 2 years, and considering Elgton will miss summer and fall practices I won't hold my breath on him stepping in any time in the next 2 either. Calhoun is the only guy who has any chance at PT in the near future, and another guard doesn't help us.

HoopsDawg
03-22-2014, 07:23 PM
Now Jordan Harris, Elgton Jenkins, and Deion Calhoun might turn out to be pretty good. And I know Calhoun is gonna be good. I understand everyone looks past him because he's an academy kid. But so was Clayborn.

Harris is heading to Juco. Elgton is a grayshirt.

thedawg
03-22-2014, 07:24 PM
The future at tackle is fine... If Malone goes out there... Between him Rufus, senior, and Thomas we will be fine... Chill on Thomas... He will be good in time.. He's a redshirt freshmen getting his ass kicked in spring by the best dline in the SEC.. Let him develop

thedawg
03-22-2014, 07:25 PM
Jenkins isn't a Grey shirt... Cochran is

preachermatt83
03-22-2014, 07:28 PM
I'm a little disappointed we aren't using Griffin as a FB, but totally unsurprised. Sucks for him.

Love the good news on Nick James. Bottom line, we have 3 "starting" DTs next season, if he keeps it up.

Glad to hear Fitzgerald is progressing. He's raw, but it sounds like he's doing what it takes to improve. Best of all is hearing that Dak is helping him. Leadership.

It's going to be hard as hell for me to keep the wool to a reasonable length by kickoff. Hoping I can make it down to a practice or two before the Maroon & White Game. I really think we'll have a legit shot at the West this season.

he told me that he does not want to play FB period. I wish he wanted to, he would be a good one. He said that he would do whatever he was told to do but said given the choice he wouldn't play FB .

HoopsDawg
03-22-2014, 07:35 PM
he told me that he does not want to play FB period. I wish he wanted to, he would be a good one. He said that he would do whatever he was told to do but said given the choice he wouldn't play FB .

who are you talking about?

War Machine Dawg
03-22-2014, 09:07 PM
who are you talking about?

I was wondering the same thing.

blacklistedbully
03-22-2014, 11:33 PM
I was wondering the same thing.

Captain Obvious says, "Preachermatt83 was talking about Nick Griffin".

msstate7
03-22-2014, 11:35 PM
Captain Obvious says, "Preachermatt83 was talking about Nick Griffin".

Gotcha. I was thinking FB was football, not fullback

Bubb Rubb
03-23-2014, 12:33 PM
To give the OL "some" credit.... Ryan Brown, Preston Smith, and Chris Jones are just stupid nasty on every snap. The OL can't get on their heals or miss a step because those 3 will put them on their ass. Also like how Nick James was jawing at the offense. He's gonna rip some face masks off.

Also impressive, is the run blocking by our receivers. Wilson, RoJo, and Brown are about as aggressive as we've ever had on the outside.

On your point about our O-line having to block our d-line...that is only going to make our o-line better. They have to work harder in practice than they will in games. It's a perfect scenario for a relatively untested line.

smootness
03-23-2014, 01:02 PM
Calhoun is the only guy who has any chance at PT in the near future, and another guard doesn't help us.

Calhoun will be a C.

Todd4State
03-23-2014, 01:18 PM
This might be crazy- but could Jake Thomas potentially play center?