PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Cooking and Drinking Thread

BeastMan
03-22-2014, 08:31 AM
A day late but what y'all got? Last night I had NyQuil after work due to some hellacious sinus action. Haven't decided anything for tonight.

WeWillScrewItUp
03-22-2014, 09:11 AM
Went home to see the parents this weekend and me and my dad grilled up some steakkabobs and drank a few ice cold Miller Lites.

Esmerelda Villalobos
03-22-2014, 09:40 AM
Last night I busted out the grill for the first time. I put all the coals to the left side of the weber. Let it go for 45 mins. Hot as it could possibly get.

While that was going, I got my 2.5 inch buffalo ribeye (BONE IN) and the same size tri tip out. I purchased these around the corner at my local butcher. He cuts them how I need them. I seasoned them with sea salt, fresh cracked pepper, garlic powder and for crust, a little bit of brown sugar. I coated those in canola oil so it would stick.

While that soaked up, took my shitakes and onions and sauteed them down in evoo and a small amount of butter. I put a small amount of sugar to caramelize the onions more. I add a ton of garlic right before I put in my red wine to deglaze. Once I poured my cabernet in, I cranked it to high heat. I then reduced and simmered.

So out to the grill. Grill is hotter than hades so I put the 2 steaks on. I go 2 minutes on direct heat. 2 minutes each side.

After that, I move both steaks to the right side of grill, off direct heat. I do it for 4 mins on each side there. Perfect rare to mid rare.

Took steaks off. Put in a large plate. COVERED her bison in blue cheese / gorgonzola crumbles and put tin foil over steaks to let them rest 15 mins.

She cooked up some sides, which I didnt eat. Served those steaks with the shitake/onion topping.

This is the 2nd best way to cook a steak. Ive got this down but the timing is perfect for a 2.5 inch cut. I didnt do blue cheese on my tri tip last night. I do it about half the time. My GOD it takes it to another level.

That onion/mushroom trick I mentioned above is tits. Dont put a ton of wine in there. Maybe half a cup max.

BeastMan
03-22-2014, 10:26 AM
That sounds amazing. Glad somebody else knows about the tri tips

Esmerelda Villalobos
03-22-2014, 10:47 AM
Tri tip my have overtaken a cowboy ribeye for me.

It is lean and just as flavorful. I only eat cowboys bison or tri tip. Ill eat a filet every now and then but sirloins and strips are just a waste of time. When I see someone order a strip at a restaurant, I just shake my head.

SpeckleDawg
03-22-2014, 03:31 PM
Deer steaks & sausage, Don's Boudin and buffalo trace last night. Haven't even thought about tonight yet.

Esmerelda Villalobos
03-22-2014, 04:37 PM
Making diver scallops wrapped in bacon tonight. A light salad with a homemade raspberry vinagerette. A gallon of green tea for drink.

Im eating clean right now.

BeastMan
03-22-2014, 07:46 PM
Still under the weather so no drankin for me. Sushi at Edo for dinner. Got some banana chips smuggled in the theatre for Divergent

Barking 13
03-23-2014, 04:50 PM
Did a couple nice 1.25" T-bones (on sale) with loaded bakes on Friday.. after steaks were done I put a couple polish sausage links on the top rack to slow cook.. Had those yesterday.
Found out that Cuervo gold redi-mix margaritas taste pretty good mixed with sweet tea by accident...