PDA

View Full Version : Braves fans.......

War Machine Dawg
03-21-2014, 05:43 PM
Haven't seen it discussed, so if I've missed it, my apologies. But we've got more bad news out of spring training, as Beachy went under the knife for TJ #2 today. How's that move to not go get a proven ace this offseason working out for ya, Wren?

shoeless joe
03-21-2014, 05:47 PM
Haven't seen it discussed, so if I've missed it, my apologies. But we've got more bad news out of spring training, as Beachy went under the knife for TJ #2 today. How's that move to not go get a proven ace this offseason working out for ya, Wren?

Yeah cuz two front line starters going down in the same spring is common place...

Could set up to be a long season. Hopefully Teheran and wood can step up and be consistent. That along with the hope that minor can be his first half self from last year is really all they have to hold on to at the moment. Santana could be an innings eater and maybe Garcia can throw in a couple good starts until a move can be made if needed.

Gonna be a lot of pressure on the offense this season as well.

War Machine Dawg
03-21-2014, 05:52 PM
Yeah cuz two front line starters going down in the same spring is common place...

Could set up to be a long season. Hopefully Teheran and wood can step up and be consistent. That along with the hope that minor can be his first half self from last year is really all they have to hold on to at the moment. Santana could be an innings eater and maybe Garcia can throw in a couple good starts until a move can be made if needed.

Gonna be a lot of pressure on the offense this season as well.

Yeah, because the injuries were the reason we needed an ace.****

No one is saying they expected 2 crucial starters to go down in spring training. But it's baseball, you had to figure at least one guy would go down for some period of time. I'm still pretty comfortable with Teheran, Santana, Minor, and Wood as our first 4. Looks like Hale might be the 5th for right now. Floyd will be back from his surgery in May or early June. Regardless, we went from having a deep, proven rotation to a rotation one more injury away from outright garbage.

starkvegasdawg
03-21-2014, 05:56 PM
I'm still trying to decide if I want to care this season or not. Do I want to get involved for six months only to watch them lay a turd in October?

War Machine Dawg
03-21-2014, 06:05 PM
I'm still trying to decide if I want to care this season or not. Do I want to get involved for six months only to watch them lay a turd in October?

Hell, without Beachy and Medlen, I'm wondering if we'll even be playing in October. The Nats won't inexplicably suck again this season and will be a threat to win the division. We'll probably be fighting for the Wild Card play-in spot with a couple of the Central and West teams like STL, Cincy, Pitt, LA, and SF.

bully99
03-21-2014, 06:15 PM
Interesting that Beachy had the Dodgers doctor do his surgery and not Dr. Andrews who did his first Tommy John. Andrews has done pretty much all the braves surgeries. Sounds like he might not be happy with the first.

War Machine Dawg
03-21-2014, 06:23 PM
I noticed that as well, 99. Found it odd myself. Definitely makes you wonder. There isn't a good reason he should be having TJ this soon after the first one, unless the first one was botched somehow.

shoeless joe
03-21-2014, 06:29 PM
Yeah, because the injuries were the reason we needed an ace.****

No one is saying they expected 2 crucial starters to go down in spring training. But it's baseball, you had to figure at least one guy would go down for some period of time. I'm still pretty comfortable with Teheran, Santana, Minor, and Wood as our first 4. Looks like Hale might be the 5th for right now. Floyd will be back from his surgery in May or early June. Regardless, we went from having a deep, proven rotation to a rotation one more injury away from outright garbage.

You just made the argument as to why he didn't go get a proven ace. With medlen and beachy they had an extremely deep solid rotation.

Dawg61
03-21-2014, 06:50 PM
Don't the Braves still start Uggla & BJ? Yea they'll suck this year.

dawgs
03-21-2014, 06:50 PM
not a braves fan, but what aces where out there to be had? regardless, teheran is about to be an ace (arguably he was last year, except the IP, which he should be able to go over 200 IP this year, so no problem), minor should be good so long as he's healthy (some minor issues, but nothing major thus far), santana will give 200+ IP and should be a solid mid-rotation guy, wood has a lot of potential, showed it in limited IP last year, and could throw 150-170 IP this year. that's a pretty damn solid top 4 imo. between hale, garcia, and floyd, i think their cumulative SP5 numbers should be plenty adequate. the braves also always have some solid rotational depth in the minors too that should be able to bridge the gap, and if necessary, you can always go find a maholm-type SP on the market in july.

i mean, compare the back end of the rotation to the nats (i'm a nats fan). nats top 3 are better, only because they are more proven, but that SP5 spot is going to be a combo of detwiler, roark, and jordan, hardly a trio that strikes fear in the hearts of opponents. and if fister misses some time with his injury, then 2 of them will be in the rotation to start the season. no one really has a stud sure fire 3.50 era innings eater at the back end of the rotation.

if anything, i'd be far more concerned with the offense and managing to stay as productive as last year with so many low OBP guys.

dawgs
03-21-2014, 06:51 PM

i mean, in all fairness they both have already had 1 TJ surgery, and beachy couldn't have been reasonably counted to give numbers similar to his pre-TJ days immediately out of the gate.

Dawg61
03-21-2014, 07:04 PM
How can you stand to listen to Carpenter & Santangelo? Those two suck almost as much as Hawk Harrelson and Steve Stone.

dawgs
03-21-2014, 07:30 PM
How can you stand to listen to Carpenter & Santangelo? Those two suck almost as much as Hawk Harrelson and Steve Stone.

well i don't live in DC anymore, so i don't all that often these days. but usually i'd just have the volume low. of course announcers don't bother me as much as some people. there are some good ones, but most are bad and say ridiculous shit.

smootness
03-21-2014, 07:42 PM
There isn't a good reason he should be having TJ this soon after the first one, unless the first one was botched somehow.

Not true at all. While it's amazing the progress they've made with the surgery, it's still far from a routine thing. You never know how someone will come out of it.