PDA

View Full Version : Renfroe vs Rea: Hitting with runners on

Will James
05-07-2013, 12:00 AM
Usually when the conventional wisdom is going in one direction, it's usually a sign for me to go the other way. The whole meme that sprung up about Renfroe struggling with runners on got me curious. I knew it couldn't be true, he's tied for our team lead in SEC RBI and is our overall leader in RBI. So I decided to look up the facts to bust another meme.

HITTING WITH RUNNERS ON BASE

Renfroe is 14/37 hitting .378 Renfroe is 30/53 with an on-base% of .566

Rea is 14/44 hitting .318 Rea is 25/55 with an on-base% of .455

Both players are actually better in both categories with runners on base than without. However, Renfroe is hitting 60 points better than Rea with runners on and is a whopping 111 points higher in on base %.

Oh and while Renfroe has 9 more plate appearances, Rea has 2 more with runners on base. And Rea spent a few games in the 6 and 7 holes! Gotta get Hunter more PA's with runners on base. Gotta hit him 4th, plain and simple.

Todd4State
05-07-2013, 02:33 AM
We've got to get the top two guys in order to get on more than they are. Adam Frazier needs to be WAY more patient and Detz is starting to cool off. This past series, Detz was 2 for 14 with no walks. Adam Frazier was 2 for 11 with 2 walks. If they aren't getting on, it doesn't really matter who is batting third. That's why I want to see CT or Pirtle hit one and move Frazier down to two.

CT was 7 out of 14
Pirtle was 2 out of 6 with a walk and he got hit by a pitch three times in game three. And he was ill.

With Hunter Renfroe, it seems like he always hits solo home runs, so people get misled into thinking he isn't as good with runners on base.

Will James
05-07-2013, 06:49 AM
Frazier and Detz will come around and CT and Pirtle will cool off. Nature of the beast. Looking at what they've done this and last year makes me keep CT 6th.

msstate7
05-07-2013, 07:02 AM
Usually when the conventional wisdom is going in one direction, it's usually a sign for me to go the other way. The whole meme that sprung up about Renfroe struggling with runners on got me curious. I knew it couldn't be true, he's tied for our team lead in SEC RBI and is our overall leader in RBI. So I decided to look up the facts to bust another meme.

HITTING WITH RUNNERS ON BASE

Renfroe is 14/37 hitting .378 Renfroe is 30/53 with an on-base% of .566

Rea is 14/44 hitting .318 Rea is 25/55 with an on-base% of .455

Both players are actually better in both categories with runners on base than without. However, Renfroe is hitting 60 points better than Rea with runners on and is a whopping 111 points higher in on base %.

Oh and while Renfroe has 9 more plate appearances, Rea has 2 more with runners on base. And Rea spent a few games in the 6 and 7 holes! Gotta get Hunter more PA's with runners on base. Gotta hit him 4th, plain and simple.
What's their average with runners in scoring position, not just runners on?

Homedawg
05-07-2013, 07:54 AM
Frazier and Detz will come around and CT and Pirtle will cool off. Nature of the beast. Looking at what they've done this and last year makes me keep CT 6th.
I'm not saying we should change but Detz might not warm up. He's be on the downside basically since the start of league. Like you, I wouldn't dare put ct back up there though, he's struggles at the top of the lineup. Might press more. I don't know, but he's done better in the 6 hole so leave him.

Todd4State
05-07-2013, 08:31 AM

Until that happens, we should move the guys that are hot now up and get them on base in front of Renfroe.

I'm not so sure about Detz coming back around. He might- but I have my doubts. I think Pirtle will continue to hit though- he keeps getting better and better, and more confident.

Todd4State
05-07-2013, 08:33 AM
I'm not saying we should change but Detz might not warm up. He's be on the downside basically since the start of league. Like you, I wouldn't dare put ct back up there though, he's struggles at the top of the lineup. Might press more. I don't know, but he's done better in the 6 hole so leave him.

He might be more healthy now. I don't know how much his shoulder affected him or not. He hit over .300 and was a freshman All-American as a lead off hitter, so I think he would be OK.

Coach34
05-07-2013, 08:58 AM
still no numbers on RISP though....

msstate7
05-07-2013, 09:00 AM

That's the top secret stat...

Bo Darville
05-07-2013, 09:07 AM
What's their average with runners in scoring position, not just runners on?

This is a good question. If there is a runner on second and/or third with first base open, Renfroe will get nothing good to hit. They will intentionally walk him, or throw everything out of the strike zone.

Will James
05-07-2013, 09:10 AM

Renfroe is about to blow your mind. New thread starting......