PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone hear Cohen talking RPI on his radio show tonight?...

CadaverDawg
05-06-2013, 10:05 PM
Jim brought up RPI and where the top teams in the league ranked, and asked Cohen what he thought. Cohen said, and I'm paraphrasing," Jim, what everyone needs to look at is the fact that our opponents combined average RPI is at #26 in the country. The next closest SEC team is Ole Miss at #34. And Alabama is way down at #60. Jim, there is a huge difference between playing a schedule against the #26 average RPI teams vs the #60 average RPI teams."

I thought that was very interesting, and I'm sure that's where our actual RPI number is shown, and why it is so high. That being said, is there a place to find out where South Carolina and Arkansas rank in opponent's average RPI?

Am I reading too much into that, or is it a very telling stat about your overall body of work? Maybe it's just another way of saying...this is why our RPI is #10 in the country.

Esmerelda Villalobos
05-06-2013, 10:22 PM
Havent looked but I dont seem to remember playing the 250plus rpi teams. In the past we played several. Sure, playing 141 and 262 doesnt mean a whole lot until computer get involved.

So basically dont play swac teams? I doubt our schedule is that much tougher than most but seems we havent played a slew of shitty ooc teams.

Edit - went a loooked. We played mvsu, alcorn and grambling. All over 250. Why even play them? Play 3 shitty teams that are in the 150s and our rpi is probably 7 right now

Todd4State
05-07-2013, 02:18 AM
I'm starting to wonder if it would be more beneficial to play Delta State as opposed to a SWAC team. The game would count as one of our 56 games, but based on what I can tell by looking at Mississippi Valley State- I picked them because I knew that they played some D-2 teams- it appears as if those games don't count at all in RPI. So, basically if we played Delta State twice, it would be like we played 54 games.

Our RPI is so high even playing four SWAC games, I'm not sure that it really matters all that much. It probably makes our RPI low on the front end- which the main harm there is some of our fans complaining about our "cup-cake schedule" and they use RPI and SOS to justify their thought. But in the end, obviously our RPI is fine.

I started to wonder about this last year because South Carolina played a D-2 team last year and lost. I assumed that because of that, their RPI would be toast. But it didn't hurt them at all. I would have to believe that if we got beat by a SWAC team- which almost happened TWICE this year- it would be worse from a RPI standpoint than losing to a D-2 team.

I think it would only be an issue to the committee if we played more than a game or two against Delta State. So, I still think we would play SWAC teams.

RTO Dawg
05-07-2013, 06:26 AM
Check Warrennolan..

Spider-Man
05-07-2013, 07:35 AM
Jim brought up RPI and where the top teams in the league ranked, and asked Cohen what he thought. Cohen said, and I'm paraphrasing," Jim, what everyone needs to look at is the fact that our opponents combined average RPI is at #26 in the country. The next closest SEC team is Ole Miss at #34. And Alabama is way down at #60. Jim, there is a huge difference between playing a schedule against the #26 average RPI teams vs the #60 average RPI teams."

I thought that was very interesting, and I'm sure that's where our actual RPI number is shown, and why it is so high. That being said, is there a place to find out where South Carolina and Arkansas rank in opponent's average RPI?

Am I reading too much into that, or is it a very telling stat about your overall body of work? Maybe it's just another way of saying...this is why our RPI is #10 in the country.

Not sure about if there is a place that already has it calculated, but you could go do it yourself on warrennolan.com.