PDA

View Full Version : 2014 College Football Rules changes - Rogers Redding

elitedawgs
03-20-2014, 09:55 AM
We got this from a trusted source.

2014 Rules Changes
The NCAA Football Rules Committee met in Indianapolis on February 11-12, 2014 and again by conference call on March 5, 2014. The following is a report of the committee?s recommendations.
RULES CHANGES
The following two rules changes received final approval by the Playing Rules Oversight Panel (PROP) on March 6, 2014.
1. Rules 9-1-3 and 9-1-4, Targeting Fouls (FR-87)
Removal of the yardage penalty upon overturn of the player disqualification
The following is added to the penalty statements of Rules 9-1-3 and 9-1-4 (FR-87):
?When the Instant Replay Official reverses the disqualification:
If the targeting foul is not accompanied by another personal foul, the 15-yard penalty for targeting is not enforced. If another personal foul is committed in conjunction with the targeting foul, the 15-yard penalty for that personal foul is enforced according to rule.?
EXAMPLES:
1. On a passing play, after the passer has released the ball, a defensive end launches and forcibly hits him apparently in the head/neck area. The referee throws a flag and announces that there is roughing the passer with targeting and the player is disqualified. After review by Instant Replay, the decision is that there was not forcible contact to the head/neck area. The referee then announces that the defensive player is not disqualified, and that the 15-yard penalty for roughing the passer is enforced.
2. A corner back launches at a receiver who has just caught a forward pass and is still defenseless. The back judge rules a foul for targeting, and the corner back is disqualified. There is no other personal foul in that action. If Instant Replay overturns the disqualification, there is no 15-yard penalty.
2. Rules 9-1-3 and 9-1-4, Targeting Fouls (FR-87)
Games without Instant Replay: halftime video review
Add to the Penalty statement of Rules 9-1-3 and 9-1-4 (FR-87):
?If a player is disqualified in the first half, at the option of the conference or by pre-game mutual agreement of the teams in inter-conference games, during the intermission between halves the referee will be provided a video of the play in question for his review in the officials? private secure location. The referee will review the video to determine whether the disqualification is reversed. The decision of the referee is final.
Note: The video source and the location of the review will be determined prior to the game through mutual agreement of the teams and the referee.?
PROPOSED RULES CHANGE
The Rules Committee approved the following recommendation for a rules change on March 5, 2014. It awaits approval by PROP.
Rule 9-1-9, Roughing the Passer (FR-90)
Low hits on passers
Add new paragraph b. (The current article becomes paragraph a.)
?When an offensive player is in a passing posture with one or both feet on the ground, no defensive player rushing unabated shall hit him forcibly at the knee area or below. The defensive player also may not initiate a roll or lunge and forcibly hit this opponent in the knee area or below. [Exceptions. (1) It is not a foul if the offensive player is arunner not in a passing posture, either inside or outside the tackle box. (2) It is not a foul if the defender grabs or wraps this opponent in an attempt to make a conventional tackle. (3) It is not a foul if the defender is not rushing unabated or is blocked or fouled into this opponent.]?
TABLED PROPOSAL
On March 5, 2014 the rules committee voted to table the following proposal which had been recommended by the committee at its February meeting.
Rule 4-1-1, Dead Ball Becomes Alive (FR-57)
Limitation on when the ball may be snapped
The following new paragraph is added as paragraph b to Rule 4-1-1. The existing material would become paragraph a: 3

?b. With the 40-second play clock running, except with fewer than two minutes remaining in a half, Team A may not snap the ball until the play clock reads 29 seconds or less. (Rule 4-1-4) [Exception: If the referee interrupts the 40-second play clock count and orders the play clock to be re-set to 40 seconds.]?
PENALTY?Dead-ball for delay of game. Five yards from the succeeding spot. [S21].
Rogers Redding
Secretary-Rules Editor
March 11, 2014

ShotgunDawg
03-20-2014, 10:03 AM
It's good to seem them using instant replay to the fullest extent. I wasn't aware that a DE was dis-qualified if they hit a QB late in the helmet

FISHDAWG
03-20-2014, 10:14 AM
targeting rule def needs to be revised like they are trying to do here ... my problem is when the replay overturns the targeting and shows it to be a legal hit, then the yardage shouldn't count either .... somebody just say good hit !

TheRef
03-20-2014, 10:47 AM
targeting rule def needs to be revised like they are trying to do here ... my problem is when the replay overturns the targeting and shows it to be a legal hit, then the yardage shouldn't count either .... somebody just say good hit !

That's what the new rule will do. If it's a legal hit, the yardage won't be added on.

FISHDAWG
03-20-2014, 11:14 AM
thanks ... old eyes = reading comprehension fail

drunkernhelldawg
03-20-2014, 12:00 PM
I'd like to see a hand tackle on the feet or ankles allowed on the the passer. Tough to get flag for any and all below the knee contact. I'm in favor of the rule because I think player safety is important, but I love to see a DL crawl under the pile and trip the passer with one hand. Maybe I'm wrong, but that doesn't seem too hazardous to me. I hate that the rule takes aggression from the pass rushers right when that is one of our strongest positions.