PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Pearl and opportunities

mjh94
03-20-2014, 07:52 AM
disclaimer: Not meant to beat dead horse, Bruce Pearl may/may not be a douche bag, I support Rick Ray, Auburn is Auburn, we are MSU.

I was listening to Mike & Mike this morning on the the WWL, and they had a 5-10 minute spot with Bruce Pearl in studio. I couldn't help but to be sick at my stomach just thinking if everytime he said Auburn, what if it was Mississippi State instead. In saying that... I fully support Rick Ray and what he is doing/trying to do for our basketball team. In this day and age, having a coach is not just about having a coach - it's about having a coach AND having a show. Obviously you don't want a shit-show, but a legit Seinfeld type of show. And obviously there are alot of intangibles that go with that. And, I know if it was anybody else that got hired by Auburn, this interview would have never happened.

But, damn... Auburn just hired, by all accounts, an excellent coach that is a Seinfeld show. He knows how to market the University, market the other sports (shit, he mentioned the football program and Malzahn as much as he referred to basketball), and he knows how to "recruit" while he can't recruit on (inter)national radio. Obviously he had that opportunity because of past downfalls and because of who he is. But, next time we have to hire a coach, even if he is half of a Seinfeld show, that would be a great start. I hope Stricklin is taking notes and understands it's not all about "being an excellent assistant that everybody and their momma said to hire." I mean damn.. we've got some decent recent history in men's basketball. Prove Stricklin to be smart, Rick. Today's athletics are cut-throat if you're going to please your fans. Take the opportunities out there is all i'm sayin.

C222
03-20-2014, 07:54 AM
disclaimer: Not meant to beat dead horse, Bruce Pearl may/may not be a douche bag, I support Rick Ray, Auburn is Auburn, we are MSU.

I was listening to Mike & Mike this morning on the the WWL, and they had a 5-10 minute spot with Bruce Pearl in studio. I couldn't help but to be sick at my stomach just thinking if everytime he said Auburn, what if it was Mississippi State instead. In saying that... I fully support Rick Ray and what he is doing/trying to do for our basketball team. In this day and age, having a coach is not just about having a coach - it's about having a coach AND having a show. Obviously you don't want a shit-show, but a legit Seinfeld type of show. And obviously there are alot of intangibles that go with that. And, I know if it was anybody else that got hired by Auburn, this interview would have never happened.

But, damn... Auburn just hired, by all accounts, an excellent coach that is a Seinfeld show. He knows how to market the University, market the other sports (shit, he mentioned the football program and Malzahn as much as he referred to basketball), and he knows how to "recruit" while he can't recruit on (inter)national radio. Obviously he had that opportunity because of past downfalls and because of who he is. But, next time we have to hire a coach, even if he is half of a Seinfeld show, that would be a great start. I hope Stricklin is taking notes and understands it's not all about "being an excellent assistant that everybody and their momma said to hire." I mean damn.. we've got some decent recent history in men's basketball. Prove Stricklin to be smart, Rick. Today's athletics are cut-throat if you're going to please your fans. Take the opportunities out there is all i'm sayin.

Pearl would never come to MSU. We couldn't even get Rob Jeter.

thf24
03-20-2014, 08:01 AM

That, and even if Stricklin wanted to hire him, which he wouldn't, Keenum wouldn't let him.

It's obviously a great hire for Auburn and I'm sure he'll elevate their program to some degree. I'll believe that he'll achieve the same level of success he did at Tennessee when I see it, though.

codeDawg
03-20-2014, 08:14 AM

This is it. Even if we fired Ray, we would not get Perl.

Believe it or not, Auburn is exactly what Perl was looking for. In an interview done last year Perl said when he got back into it he would go to a school that had won a national championship in some sport. He didn't care if it was basketball because he could take care of that. He needed confidence in the school's administration that they could get done what it took to get there. Also, Perl wanted to stay in the south and recruit Atlanta like he did at TN.

NC + South + Atlanta = Auburn

Coach34
03-20-2014, 08:21 AM
Totally agree about us not hiring Pearl- that's not the way our leadership wants to be viewed. Then also add that Auburn started Pearl off at 2.2 million- which is way more than we would pay a basketball coach.

Dawg61
03-20-2014, 08:40 AM
Totally agree about us not hiring Pearl- that's not the way our leadership wants to be viewed. Then also add that Auburn started Pearl off at 2.2 million- which is way more than we would pay a basketball coach.

Cause we cheap as ****. Doesn't matter that Pearl will now make them 6x what they pay him every single year. MSU doesn't care about basketball. At all. Stricklin & Keenum don't care about winning. At all.

tcdog70
03-20-2014, 09:22 AM
So Keennum wouldn't sign Pearl but He is AOK with a nobody Clemson Asst. Shit, we have some great leadership, I feel warm and fuzzy.

Eric Nies Grind Time
03-20-2014, 09:33 AM
If Stricklin doesn't see that the return on the investment for a big splash coach would make it worthwhile he needs to go. I am sure Auburn ticket/apparel sales have gone through the roof.

C222
03-20-2014, 09:35 AM
So Keennum wouldn't sign Pearl but He is AOK with a nobody Clemson Asst. Shit, we have some great leadership, I feel warm and fuzzy.

Surely you understand why they wouldn't want Pearl, right? Not saying I agree with it but it's not hard to figure out.

codeDawg
03-20-2014, 09:49 AM
I don't disagree with the detractors about our strategy, but Perl at MSU was never going to happen in a million years. That salary is only a piece of the puzzle. We can keep the pitchforks in the shed until something realistic gets screwed up (again).

Johnson85
03-20-2014, 09:58 AM

I hope that's not true. I can understand in football where there is some semblance of following the rules. But basketball has been the wild west for a long time. Even Pearl, who by some accounts has had somebody at the NCAA gunning for him since he was at Iowa, only got caught by being a complete dubmass. And while his players had some incidents at UT, I don't remember them being viewed as a shit show.

I can understand why we might not want to pay $2.2M for a coach that might bring NCAA scrutiny, but if they really wouldn't have offered him $1.5M had he been available when we were looking, then we need a new administration.

smootness
03-20-2014, 10:00 AM
MSU doesn't care about basketball. At all. Stricklin & Keenum don't care about winning. At all.

Yep, you nailed it. Right on, as always.

hacker
03-20-2014, 10:02 AM
perl

Mixing up programming languages and coaches' names again, I see?

tcdog70
03-20-2014, 10:02 AM
Well, we took a chance on Jackie and it turned out pretty damn skippy. Pearl lied, shit Jackie had more baggage.

Eric Nies Grind Time
03-20-2014, 10:05 AM

Why do you think that's way more anyway? Andy Kennedy is getting paid 1.8+ now.

mjh94
03-20-2014, 10:15 AM
excellent point.

Well, we took a chance on Jackie and it turned out pretty damn skippy. Pearl lied, shit Jackie had more baggage.

Coach34
03-20-2014, 10:18 AM
Why do you think that's way more anyway? Andy Kennedy is getting paid 1.8+ now.

Stands last year he made about 1.4-1.5 with bonuses. 2.2 is around 1/3 more than that. That would be a big jump for us and our budget.

Then you have to factor in asst salaries. We've always been pretty cheap there too. Stepping up to a bigger name coach would most likely require a raise to secure assts that he wanted. Basically you are looking at spending another million bucks in just basketball salary.

Eric Nies Grind Time
03-20-2014, 10:22 AM
If Stricklin cheaps out on the next hire (this is assuming Rick Ray does not produce...not getting into whether he will or not) I don't know if I will be able to show any amount of enthusiasm for the basketball program.

Dawg61
03-20-2014, 10:26 AM
Stands last year he made about 1.4-1.5 with bonuses. 2.2 is around 1/3 more than that. That would be a big jump for us and our budget.

Then you have to factor in asst salaries. We've always been pretty cheap there too. Stepping up to a bigger name coach would most likely require a raise to secure assts that he wanted. Basically you are looking at spending another million bucks in just basketball salary.

Great and we'd make 6x what we spend with a coach like Pearl. Ok maybe only 5x.

Coach34
03-20-2014, 10:32 AM
Great and we'd make 6x what we spend with a coach like Pearl. Ok maybe only 5x.

And how would we do this?

We would only make about 1.5 million on ticket sales if we sell out every seat at every home game at the Hump (minus student tickets of course)

Coach34
03-20-2014, 10:48 AM
In addition to that extra million for coaching salary, add in another 100-200K for Pearl wanting a bigger recruiting budget.

mjh94
03-20-2014, 10:49 AM
three letters -> R.O.I.

We would only make about 1.5 million on ticket sales if we sell out every seat at every home game at the Hump (minus student tickets of course)

mjh94
03-20-2014, 10:50 AM
hell, that 10-minute spot on ESPN is worth something. for both basketball and football the way he talked the athletic department. not to mention the publicity the university got as a whole.

Johnson85
03-20-2014, 11:05 AM

The formula is definitely different in basketball than football, but I think you can do it.

-There is exposure that would be worth something.
-We''d get additional exposure.
-Adding another tournament team (assuming a good MSU/Auburn doesn't just bump the next SEC team around the bubble) is worth a good bit per team in the SEC, but not sure exactly what. I think getting a team from the second round to the sweet 16 can be worth $1m to $2M per team.
-Another big thing is just building the SEC brand. The SEC can't demand top dollar for its tv rights if it's going to write off the second most popular college sport. Like the tourney money, the benefits of this are dispersed throughout the SEC and not captured solely by MSU, but it's not like we'll be getting hosed considering the benefits we get from money other schools invest in football.

All in all, if we are paying anything for our non-revenue sports beyond what's necessary to stay in Title IX compliance, I don't see how the additional costs associated with Pearl wouldn't make sense. National titles in every non-revenue sport wouldn't get us the value that having a consist tourney team in basketball will.

dawgs
03-20-2014, 11:14 AM

pretty reasonable to expect donations to go up with a good, exciting hire that galvanizes the fanbase. USUALLY when a new hire is made, there's a spike in excitement. with ray there was bewilderment. you don't have to find a successful HC to get everyone excited either, because mullen had everyone fired up because he'd been a national title winning OC and coached a heisman winner. now of course, that doesn't mean i don't want ray to win at msu, because i want all our coaches to win, but to act like hiring a random assistant from a random program doesn't have a negative effect on our program by costing us excitement, buzz, donations, etc. is just turning a blind eye to reality.

Coach34
03-20-2014, 11:17 AM
I'm still not seeing something we can put in our budget to pay that extra 1.2 million- in addition to all the other basketball expenses we have already.

You're talking around 3.8 million now in coaching salary and recruiting budget by itself- and we only bring in 1.5-1.8 in ticket sales with complete sell-outs.

C'mon guys- find the money to support your dreams

C222
03-20-2014, 11:22 AM

I guess you weren't aware of the time he tried to bribe a recruit while he was at Iowa? You know, when he recorded a phone conversation with the kid, trying to get Illinois and the kid in trouble? He's as dirty as it gets.

dawgs
03-20-2014, 11:29 AM
I'm still not seeing something we can put in our budget to pay that extra 1.2 million- in addition to all the other basketball expenses we have already.

You're talking around 3.8 million now in coaching salary and recruiting budget by itself- and we only bring in 1.5-1.8 in ticket sales with complete sell-outs.

we are one of the few universities where baseball is a profitable sport. football is profitable for us. we get over $20M each year from the conference from TV deals and post-season payouts, and it's only going up. the money doesn't have to come just from basketball ticket sales.

Percho
03-20-2014, 11:30 AM
I thought Keennum was the guy all wanted? What happened to the "love"?

Coach34
03-20-2014, 11:47 AM
we are one of the few universities where baseball is a profitable sport. football is profitable for us. we get over $20M each year from the conference from TV deals and post-season payouts, and it's only going up. the money doesn't have to come just from basketball ticket sales.

I understand that- but we have one of the lowest budgets in the SEC- and we spend that budget every year. We arent just raking in the dough.

We are 20-30 million behind the big boys in budgets. Our Bulldog Club just got to 10K members. Bama has 75K show up for Spring Practice games spending money supporting their program. All those things matter. We've been behind forever- and closing that gap is hard.

Just because we want something- doesnt mean we can have it yet.

smootness
03-20-2014, 01:41 PM
Pearl is not a good hire at this point; he just isn't. Yes, he's won. He's also a complete embarrassment as a person and will ultimately screw you over if he stays long enough.

Why do you think he's at Auburn? Do you honestly believe he had a lot of good options but decided Auburn was the right job for him?

Johnson85
03-20-2014, 01:50 PM
I understand that- but we have one of the lowest budgets in the SEC- and we spend that budget every year. We arent just raking in the dough.

We are 20-30 million behind the big boys in budgets. Our Bulldog Club just got to 10K members. Bama has 75K show up for Spring Practice games spending money supporting their program. All those things matter. We've been behind forever- and closing that gap is hard.

Just because we want something- doesnt mean we can have it yet.

We're talking about $700k more than Stansbury was paid, thrown in another $300k for assistants and $200k for recruiting. Not sure those numbers are reasonable, but that's $1.2M per year. That's a lot of extra money for the basketball program to generate immediately, but it's not like the money has to come just from basketball. We currently dump money into lots of sports that will never be a money maker for MSU and that won't ever bring it valuable name recognition. I don't know how hard it'd be to shift money away from non-revenue sports to basketball, but I'm guessing we have half that much just in salaries.

Coach34
03-20-2014, 01:56 PM
We already offer the fewest number of non-revenue sports in the SEC. We cant possibly make any more cuts there. We are required to maintain a certain number.

Dawg61
03-20-2014, 02:08 PM

Last I checked $6 million in profit per year covers $3.8 million in expenses. Engie's been bragging on here for the last 4 months that even with the Hump as the current ghost town that it is the basketball program was/is still bringing in $6 mill in the black per year. Now we get the new SECNetwork money coming in and basketball gets it's share of that too. We have plenty of money to afford a top 15 coach. Come up with a different reason Stricklin & Keenum and a bunch of y'all are all for us continuing to be the biggest joke basketball program in the nation right now. It can be fixed.

Coach34
03-20-2014, 02:24 PM
Last I checked $6 million in profit per year covers $3.8 million in expenses. Engie's been bragging on here for the last 4 months that even with the Hump as the current ghost town that it is the basketball program was/is still bringing in $6 mill in the black per year. Now we get the new SECNetwork money coming in and basketball gets it's share of that too. We have plenty of money to afford a top 15 coach. Come up with a different reason Stricklin & Keenum and a bunch of y'all are all for us continuing to be the biggest joke basketball program in the nation right now. It can be fixed.

We havent made a $6 million profit in basketball- that is erroneous on all counts. I think he means we brought in 6 million total in basketball. But that 3.8 million doesnt cover all the other expenses- just coaching salaries and recruiting...you have left out a shitload of other expenses. We would easily be over 6 million in expenses in all if we had 3.8 in coaching and recruiting only.

Got to find a way to pay for dreams Dawg61- this aint Obama running the AD office...numbers gotta match up

smootness
03-20-2014, 02:32 PM
It's funny to me that people call Stricklin and Keenum cheap, then get mad about things like the Farm Bureau signs. Do people think they're just sitting on a fat pile of money? Obviously they want us to be good as much as anybody else here.

Dawg61
03-20-2014, 02:37 PM
They don't have to pay all that money upfront. It gets spread out and the top 15 coach will bring in much more than gets paid out each month. Pretty damn sure MSU can afford one years worth of time for the new coach to bring the excitement back into the program. It only took Dan 9 months and he had DWS & the Junction rocking. New coach will bring MSU more money. That's part of the reason they are a top 15 coach. Quit focusing on the one speck of dust on the gigantic beautiful painting.

Coach34
03-20-2014, 02:58 PM
They don't have to pay all that money upfront. It gets spread out and the top 15 coach will bring in much more than gets paid out each month. Pretty damn sure MSU can afford one years worth of time for the new coach to bring the excitement back into the program. It only took Dan 9 months and he had DWS & the Junction rocking. New coach will bring MSU more money. That's part of the reason they are a top 15 coach. Quit focusing on the one speck of dust on the gigantic beautiful painting.

You're not understanding- we can fill up the Hump all we want- we still cant make enough money. We cant sell but 7,500 or so season tickets. Auburn can sell 14-15K season tickets.

We have a cap due to limited seating. I'm trying to figure out where you are getting all this money to pay the expenses?

Dawg61
03-20-2014, 03:12 PM
Bad ass top 15 coaches are popular. Very popular. They make friends with whoever they please. Some of these new friends have a sudden new enthusiasm for MSU basketball and would like to help however they can.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2013/dec/10/texas-oil-couple-make-123-million-donation-to/

http://www.cdispatch.com/news/article.asp?aid=25657&TRID=1&TID=

http://www.coachad.com/pages/Breaking-News---Mississippi-State-Receives-$12-Million-Gift-For-Football-Operations-Facility.php

The money is out there. New coach brings it in. Not hard to follow.

Hypnodawg
03-20-2014, 03:15 PM
Me thinks C34 is being intentionally obtuse. He knows money comes from many more sources than seasons tickets.

C222
03-20-2014, 03:16 PM
Bad ass top 15 coaches are popular. Very popular. They make friends with whoever they please. Some of these new friends have a sudden new enthusiasm for MSU basketball and would like to help however they can.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2013/dec/10/texas-oil-couple-make-123-million-donation-to/

http://www.coachad.com/pages/Breaking-News---Mississippi-State-Receives-$12-Million-Gift-For-Football-Operations-Facility.php

Not trying to argue, just curious as to what Top 15 coach you think we could get?

Coach34
03-20-2014, 03:21 PM

Well, thanks for proving my point.

We dont have the money to do it- without boosters pumping some green in to pay for it. You think that was gonna happen after firing Stands? Let me answer- **** no it wasnt. Would it now? Possibly. But that is what has to happen- BEFORE- we make a move.

It takes a village

Hypnodawg
03-20-2014, 03:25 PM
Brick is over paid. He would have taken the job for $500k + $500k in performance (or someone equally qualified). 2 years of not performing would mean we could offer $1M + $1M in performance.

We paid through the nose to gamble on a nameless coach. You can gamble on nobody's without paying a premium. I'm not sure it was physically possible for SS to screw up any worse than he did.

Coach34
03-20-2014, 03:28 PM
Brick is over paid. He would have taken the job $500k + $500k in performance (or someone equally qualified). .

This is the SEC- not the SWAC. You cant pay a coach less than $1M. And as far as cleaning up the program and eliminating the constant drama- he's been outstanding. Now the wins have to come.

Hypnodawg
03-20-2014, 03:42 PM
We can and should pay someone no more than they are worth. He is worth no more than $500k and probably less. $500k is the compensation for a 40+ NCAA tournament team. There is no, zero, zip reason to pay him more than others that are doing more with less. And much less at that. You don't pay $1M just because that's what the job pays. The you are paid what you are worth, and 3-15 in the SEC isn't worth $1M.

dawgs
03-20-2014, 03:44 PM
Not trying to argue, just curious as to what Top 15 coach you think we could get?

it's doesn't have to be a top 15 coach, prohm or bryce drew would have excited the fanbase and opened up some pocket books too. obviously eventually the Ws have to come on the court to keep the cash flow coming, but at least they kick started things on the front end which makes it easier to start winning on the court later. we on the other hand, hired a coach that literally got the least amount of excitement from the fanbase possible. no pocketbooks opened up, and sure they might if he starts winning, but not only did he come into a bad situation and have no experience as a HC or an elite level assistant, but he doesn't have the pocketbooks behind him helping him along either, which makes it that much more difficult. now you can argue the fanbase should be throwing money behind whoever we hired, and maybe that's partially right, but you aren't going to convince smart, successful people with the kinda money to donate millions or even hundreds of thousands to the program to a guy they don't believe in or have no reason to believe in. they wouldn't be millionaires with money to burn if they just threw money away on people they don't trust or believe in.

dawgs
03-20-2014, 03:48 PM
We can and should pay someone no more than they are worth. He is worth no more than $500k and probably less. $500k is the compensation for a 40+ NCAA tournament team. There is no, zero, zip reason to pay him more than others that are doing more with less. And much less at that. You don't pay $1M just because that's what the job pays. The you are paid what you are worth, and 3-15 in the SEC isn't worth $1M.

paying our MBB coach $500K would make us look like a ****ing joke. more than we already do. paying that little sends a message that reaches far and wide in the coaching community that we don't give a shit, and coaches would hang up on us before we could make an introduction when we start looking around for our next coach. not that it'll matter to strickland. he'll probably just go hire starkville academy's junior high girls coach because he'll "build the program the right way".

C222
03-20-2014, 03:48 PM
it's doesn't have to be a top 15 coach, prohm or bryce drew would have excited the fanbase and opened up some pocket books too. obviously eventually the Ws have to come on the court to keep the cash flow coming, but at least they kick started things on the front end which makes it easier to start winning on the court later. we on the other hand, hired a coach that literally got the least amount of excitement from the fanbase possible. no pocketbooks opened up, and sure they might if he starts winning, but not only did he come into a bad situation and have no experience as a HC or an elite level assistant, but he doesn't have the pocketbooks behind him helping him along either, which makes it that much more difficult. now you can argue the fanbase should be throwing money behind whoever we hired, and maybe that's partially right, but you aren't going to convince smart, successful people with the kinda money to donate millions or even hundreds of thousands to the program to a guy they don't believe in or have no reason to believe in. they wouldn't be millionaires with money to burn if they just threw money away on people they don't trust or believe in.

Not sure how many times this needs to be said, we tried to get both of them. Multiple times. You really think those two coaches deserve $2 + mill a year?

dawgs
03-20-2014, 03:54 PM
Not sure how many times this needs to be said, we tried to get both of them. Multiple times. You really think those two coaches deserve $2 + mill a year?

yes. if that's the salary they wanted and our next best options were going the rick ray route, then we step up to the plate and and play like a ****ing major conference program and pay the salary. i'd guess having a coach that the fanbase could get behind would have offset a substantial amount of that extra $1M, if being a net gain for us. it's really not that ****ing difficult to grasp that when fans get excited, the money comes in, not just from ticket sales, but other avenues.

but in reality, were they actually demanding $2M or is that just the number tossed around in here due to pearl's deal? do we actually know what they demanded if it actually got that far? or did we just come out low-balling them with $1M offer? if we had opened up with a $1.5M offer, would that have gotten it done?

C222
03-20-2014, 04:00 PM
yes. if that's the salary they wanted and our next best options were going the rick ray route, then we step up to the plate and and play like a ****ing major conference program and pay the salary. i'd guess having a coach that the fanbase could get behind would have offset a substantial amount of that extra $1M, if being a net gain for us. it's really not that ****ing difficult to grasp that when fans get excited, the money comes in, not just from ticket sales, but other avenues.

but in reality, were they actually demanding $2M or is that just the number tossed around in here due to pearl's deal? do we actually know what they demanded if it actually got that far? or did we just come out low-balling them with $1M offer?

So, at the time of the search, if we hired Bryce Drew and payed him $2 million, the fan base would've been happy? Get the **** out of here.

dawgs
03-20-2014, 04:07 PM
So, at the time of the search, if we hired Bryce Drew and payed him $2 million, the fan base would've been happy? Get the **** out of here.

the fanbase isn't going to give too much of a shit about the salary unless we are vastly underpaying and costing us coaches. the fanbase would be happy that we went out and got a young guy that's been a HC and had some success and comes from a successful basketball family. that said, i don't think it would have taken $2M. it would have taken more than $1M, but probably not $2M, which is a top 20 national salary.

i think the discussion of auburn paying pearl $2M has somehow morphed into we were offering drew/prohm $2M and they turned it down.

Hypnodawg
03-20-2014, 04:07 PM
paying our MBB coach $500K would make us look like a ****ing joke. more than we already do. ". So we can spend $1M and look like a joke, or we can spend $500k and look like a joke. You are making my point, and put $500k back in the bank while you are at it. We spent top dollar for the same result. Half the coaches in the NCAA tournament are making less than $1M. Why does Brick command that much salary?

C222
03-20-2014, 04:10 PM
the fanbase isn't going to give too much of a shit about the salary unless we are vastly underpaying and costing us coaches. the fanbase would be happy that we went out and got a young guy that's been a HC and had some success and comes from a successful basketball family. that said, i don't think it would have taken $2M. it would have taken more than $1M, but probably not $2M, which is a top 20 national salary.

i think the discussion of auburn paying pearl $2M has somehow morphed into we were offering drew/prohm $2M and they turned it down.

I'm trying to figure out what you wanted Scott to do. If he offered Ray $1m, he sure has shit offered Prohm and Drew more. No one wanted our job. No one.

dawgs
03-20-2014, 04:13 PM
So we can spend $1M and look like a joke, or we can spend $500k and look like a joke. You are making my point, and put $500k back in the bank while you are at it. We spent top dollar for the same result. Half the coaches in the NCAA tournament are making less than $1M. Why does Brick command that much salary?

we would look like MORE of a joke.

we aren't spending top dollar, we are spending bottom dollar for a major conference program.

half the ncaa tourney is programs from low and mid major conferences. that's why they are making less than $1M, and why it's ****ing ridiculous and a huge indictment of our AD that we couldn't go out and convince one of them to take our shitty job for $1M-$1.5M.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
03-20-2014, 07:40 PM
In an interview done last year Perl said when he got back into it he would go to a school that had won a national championship in some sport. He didn't care if it was basketball because he could take care of that. He needed confidence in the school's administration that they could get done what it took to get there.

So if we had won it all in Omaha instead merely just runner-up a few months ago, we would have had a chance? I'm not buying that logic.

Dawg61
03-20-2014, 07:43 PM
I'm trying to figure out what you wanted Scott to do. If he offered Ray $1m, he sure has shit offered Prohm and Drew more. No one wanted our job. No one.

That's blatantly false. Kermit Davis, Kenny Payne, Joe Dooley and Sean Woods all wanted our job. Quit acting like we are Jackson St..

Coach34
03-20-2014, 08:13 PM
That's blatantly false. Kermit Davis, Kenny Payne, Joe Dooley and Sean Woods all wanted our job. Quit acting like we are Jackson St..

Sean Woods is the only one I'd take ahead of Ray

MarketingBully01
03-20-2014, 08:22 PM

Basically, what it all comes down to is we needed an AD to make this hire that wouldn't take no for an answer like Jay Jacobs did at Auburn. You sell the program to the coach and make the coach believe in your vision and what you will do to make them successful. I wish to heck that Byrne would have made that hire in basketball and Byrne would have fought for us in the Cam Newton situation.

Stricklin has made us look like fools twice but my biggest disappointment with him is he didn't identify his top target go after that target and do whatever it took to get the job done. We made a huge mistake when we went with Loafers. He is more like LT then he is Greg Byrne. For the life of me, I don't understand why we didn't hire Joe Dean, Jr. As the AD. We would be much more relevant in basketball I will tell you that. Saying that Ray was "Stricklin's guy" from the start is the biggest sack of bull shit I have ever seen.

Dawg61
03-20-2014, 08:27 PM
Basically, what it all comes down to is we needed an AD to make this hire that wouldn't take no for an answer like Jay Jacobs did at Auburn. You sell the program to the coach and make the coach believe in your vision and what you will do to make them successful. I wish to heck that Byrne would have made that hire in basketball and Byrne would have fought for us in the Cam Newton situation.

Stricklin has made us look like fools twice but my biggest disappointment with him is he didn't identify his top target go after that target and do whatever it took to get the job done. We made a huge mistake when we went with Loafers. He is more like LT then he is Greg Byrne. For the life of me, I don't understand why we didn't hire Joe Dean, Jr. As the AD. We would be much more relevant in basketball I will tell you that. Saying that Ray was "Stricklin's guy" from the start is the biggest sack of bull shit I have ever seen.

Who says we can't just go hire Joe Dean Jr. right now? Bet he's pissed about our basketball program.

MarketingBully01
03-20-2014, 08:31 PM
Pearl is not a good hire at this point; he just isn't. Yes, he's won. He's also a complete embarrassment as a person and will ultimately screw you over if he stays long enough.

Why do you think he's at Auburn? Do you honestly believe he had a lot of good options but decided Auburn was the right job for him?

Do you honestly believe this? Did you enjoy our Sherrill years? Sherrill had more baggage then Pearl does at this point. I will say this with a lot of confidence that sans Kentucky with Calipari and Florida with Donovan that every other school in the SEC if they knew they could get Pearl to replace their current head coach they would. That is 12 teams just in the SEC that would do this.

Just by accepting the job at Auburn, he instantly became the 3rd best coach in the league. He has never had a losing season. Mind you he will have his first next year but I think he will have a good team in year 2 and who knows more then likely will make a tourney bid at a shitty Auburn program before we do with our coach. Just sayin...

MarketingBully01
03-20-2014, 08:34 PM
Who says we can't just go hire Joe Dean Jr. right now? Bet he's pissed about our basketball program.

Personally, I wouldn't mind him being who we go to next as the AD. He has paid his dues and has a much better track record as an AD then Loafers does.

Coach34
03-20-2014, 08:40 PM
Stricklin made the right call to fire Stands. No doubt about it.

Where Strick made the mistake is that he had not been reaching out and basically having someone ready to hire when he made the call. Jacobs had Pearl lined up for a few weeks now. Hell, he met with Stands a couple of weeks ago. Jacobs was proactive and got it done- Auburn looks great. We looked pathetic in the process once Prohm and a couple others turned us down.

Coach34
03-20-2014, 08:40 PM
Personally, I wouldn't mind him being who we go to next as the AD. He has paid his dues and has a much better track record as an AD then Loafers does.

Stricklin isnt going anywhere anytime soon

MarketingBully01
03-20-2014, 08:48 PM
Stricklin made the right call to fire Stands. No doubt about it.

Where Strick made the mistake is that he had not been reaching out and basically having someone ready to hire when he made the call. Jacobs had Pearl lined up for a few weeks now. Hell, he met with Stands a couple of weeks ago. Jacobs was proactive and got it done- Auburn looks great. We looked pathetic in the process once Prohm and a couple others turned us down.

Yes, exactly. He didn't have a plan once he fired Stans. He looked like a complete moron. He also created a PR nightmare with the Murray State AD as well. His other mistake was hiring the coaching search firm. It did absolutely no good and also did a lot of bad. The best way to get feelers out is through these guys agents anyway. Shit, I am not connected in that world but even I know that.

Yes, I agree with you C34 Stans did have to go but Stricklin couldn't have screwed up the hire any worse then if he hired a six year old to do it and pick a random name out of a hat.

Dawg61
03-20-2014, 09:30 PM
Stricklin isnt going anywhere anytime soon

Why's that? He didn't get Mullen. He slaughtered our basketball program. Why does he get a pass? Joe Dean Jr. looks pretty damn good from where I'm sitting.

Coach34
03-20-2014, 09:39 PM
Why's that? He didn't get Mullen. He slaughtered our basketball program. Why does he get a pass? Joe Dean Jr. looks pretty damn good from where I'm sitting.

Same reason LT lasted so long. He can botch a couple more basketball hires and survive imo...I could be wrong but I think he is in pretty good standing with the President and the big money

Dawg61
03-20-2014, 09:56 PM
Same reason LT lasted so long. He can botch a couple more basketball hires and survive imo...I could be wrong but I think he is in pretty good standing with the President and the big money

Yay it's 2003 MSU football all over again except this time it's basketball!! Why even have an AD?

Coach34
03-20-2014, 09:57 PM
Yay it's 2003 MSU football all over again except this time it's basketball!! Why even have an AD?

I'm not campaigning for him

Dawg61
03-20-2014, 10:06 PM
I'm not campaigning for him

Already know you side with me on this one. You just have more tact than I do.