PDA

View Full Version : Will Cox had Tommy John surgery today......Out for the year.......

Saltydog
03-19-2014, 06:42 PM
nt

engie
03-19-2014, 06:47 PM
Damn. That's 3 down. We'd done really good avoiding injuries on the hill the past few years, but this year it seems to be catching up with us...

Saltydog
03-19-2014, 06:50 PM
that's just a guess on my part......Throwing overhand is worse on the shoulder.......Throwing from the side is harder on the elbow......Cohen and company kept this one quiet......I hadn't even heard he had been hurt but knew he hadn't pitched hardly any and was wondering where he had been.....Now we know.....

The Croom Diaries
03-19-2014, 06:52 PM
Wow. Someone told me that on twitter over the weekend - they said they talked to him from the dugout in Athens. That just totally sucks.

DanDority
03-19-2014, 06:59 PM
Unfortunately, as someone famously said; That's baseball. Injury's happen.

shoeless joe
03-19-2014, 07:02 PM
Man that is no good. But that's part of the game and it'll give an opportunity for someone to step up and make us that much deeper later on.

I was not in favor of cox dropping down in the first place but I doubt it caused the injury.

Homedawg
03-19-2014, 07:19 PM
If cox didn't drop down he wouldn't be here anymore. He's just another regular rhp Imo from up top. His change is good enough that it allows him to stay up there against lh hitters and be effective.

Homedawg
03-19-2014, 07:20 PM
We are getting close to having every pitcher on the 35 man on every sec roster. Not there yet, but getting reeeaaaalllll close.

shoeless joe
03-19-2014, 07:26 PM
If cox didn't drop down he wouldn't be here anymore. He's just another regular rhp Imo from up top. His change is good enough that it allows him to stay up there against lh hitters and be effective.

Really?? Really??

Cox pounded the bottom of the zone with a sinker slider and got outs early in the count. Granted a bulk of his from up top came in pre conference but I'm confident he coulda recorded outs in that fashion. He did pitch to contact so I guess since he wasn't a strikeout guy he was just average...

I don't claim to be smarter than Cohen and butch and I'm sure they had a legitimate reason for making the arm slot move with him but I felt like it wasn't needed for him to be a long term success.

Saltydog
03-19-2014, 07:30 PM
effective pitcher but I don't think he would be gone by any stretch of the imagination........

Homedawg
03-19-2014, 07:39 PM
Really?? Really??

Cox pounded the bottom of the zone with a sinker slider and got outs early in the count. Granted a bulk of his from up top came in pre conference but I'm confident he coulda recorded outs in that fashion. He did pitch to contact so I guess since he wasn't a strikeout guy he was just average...

I don't claim to be smarter than Cohen and butch and I'm sure they had a legitimate reason for making the arm slot move with him but I felt like it wasn't needed for him to be a long term success.

Yea really. You don't have to like my opinion. But I stand by it. Btw, you know we dropped him down two years ago- not last week. You make it sound that way w your reference to pre conference. He doesn't have Preston brown type sink from up top. Not even close. I'm not bashing the guy, but dropping down made him a factor.

State82
03-19-2014, 07:44 PM
Dadgum, we have had some crappy luck with the pitching staff this year. I guess its better to be lucky than good. Unbelievable.

Lefthandersrule
03-19-2014, 07:51 PM
Will threw a lot in high school. I truely believe there are only so many bullets in the gun(arm) before something is going to break down. Overuse early in a pitchers career is not good.

shoeless joe
03-19-2014, 08:00 PM
you know we dropped him down two years ago- not last week. You make it sound that way w your reference to pre conference.

He dropped down last yr. in fact I believe the LSU weekend, SEC opener was one of his first as a side winder. So yes I was referring to that.

My biggest beef with your first post was the insenuation that he was only relevant because he dropped down. That is what I disagree with. I feel, based on What I saw, that he would have been solid either way. And with that being the case I didn't feel it necessary to change his motion.

Homedawg
03-19-2014, 08:16 PM
He dropped down last yr. in fact I believe the LSU weekend, SEC opener was one of his first as a side winder. So yes I was referring to that.

My biggest beef with your first post was the insenuation that he was only relevant because he dropped down. That is what I disagree with. I feel, based on What I saw, that he would have been solid either way. And with that being the case I didn't feel it necessary to change his motion.

Well that's where we disagree. But no big deal. If all opinions were the same it wouldn't be fun. None the less we will never know.

CadaverDawg
03-19-2014, 08:28 PM

I agree with homedawg. First off, if you have seen Will pitch before dropping down and after dropping down, it's pretty clear that he was more effective after dropping down. But also, we have one of the best pitching coaches in the country....and Butch isn't going to make his job tougher, or make himself look bad, by dropping a guy down if it's unnecessary.

Cox threw a fairly flat fastball over the top with little movement, which is why good teams hit him hard. But Now, he has a ton of movement and offers a different angle for hitters to have to adjust to in the course of a game or series. He would have been pretty much a non-factor as an over the top guy, because we have far better over the top options this year. Butch was simply trying to provide Will with his best chance at not only helping his team, but helping his career IMO....because throwing 88-90 over the top, with little movement on your fastball, and good but not great location, wasn't a recipe for success for Will.

Just my opinion.

I really hope he can make a full recovery. He seems like a guy that works hard and could be a good veteran pitcher for us the next few years. I really hate to hear that he's done for the year.

dawgoneyall
03-19-2014, 08:45 PM
Will have tomorrow afternoon in columbus.

preachermatt83
03-19-2014, 08:48 PM
either way it hurts because will Will is a heckuva pitcher. I think he is the most underrated on the staff

Todd4State
03-19-2014, 09:03 PM
I really hate to hear this because Will worked really hard to get an offer from MSU and earned it. On top of that as others have said, he has worked hard to help the team and had been effective.

shoeless joe
03-19-2014, 09:17 PM
Some of us will just have to disagree...

However, someone help me out...can anyone think of a side arm/submariner that has had tommy john? Much less had successful recovery? The surgery has become almost a delay to succes instead of preventing it as we see so many high profile guy come back as good if not better after the procedure. I wonder if his motion will affect his prognosis??

Todd4State
03-19-2014, 09:30 PM
Some of us will just have to disagree...

However, someone help me out...can anyone think of a side arm/submariner that has had tommy john? Much less had successful recovery? The surgery has become almost a delay to succes instead of preventing it as we see so many high profile guy come back as good if not better after the procedure. I wonder if his motion will affect his prognosis??

Brent Leach and Joe Mays.

That's a good question, and I'm not sure of the answer. Typically they say that throwing at a lower arm angle allegedly is less stressful on the arm. I don't know that I totally buy that knowing the mechanics of submarine pitchers.

I think the reason you may hear of it less with sidearm guys is because there are fewer of them out there in general, and the ones out there usually aren't max effort guys.

My guess is as long as Will does what he is supposed to in rehab, I wouldn't think his arm angle would interfere with his prognosis. It may cause him to be exclusively sidearm/submarine. If I'm not mistaken, I remember John Smoltz having an arm injury and he went sidearm for about a year or so coming out of the bullpen. I can't remember the exact circumstances surrounding that move, though.

shoeless joe
03-19-2014, 09:37 PM
Brent Leach and Joe Mays.

That's a good question, and I'm not sure of the answer. Typically they say that throwing at a lower arm angle allegedly is less stressful on the arm. I don't know that I totally buy that knowing the mechanics of submarine pitchers.

I think the reason you may hear of it less with sidearm guys is because there are fewer of them out there in general, and the ones out there usually aren't max effort guys.

My guess is as long as Will does what he is supposed to in rehab, I wouldn't think his arm angle would interfere with his prognosis. It may cause him to be exclusively sidearm/submarine. If I'm not mistaken, I remember John Smoltz having an arm injury and he went sidearm for about a year or so coming out of the bullpen. I can't remember the exact circumstances surrounding that move, though.

Smolts went side arm for about 2-3 appearances to try to reduce pain in an attempt to prevent/delay surgery. It didn't work out and he ended up goin under the knife.

But I'm a lot like you. Wondering if the lack of those guys is because less of them get hurt or because there's just not as many of them out there?

messageboardsuperhero
03-19-2014, 10:17 PM
that's just a guess on my part......Throwing overhand is worse on the shoulder.......Throwing from the side is harder on the elbow......Cohen and company kept this one quiet......I hadn't even heard he had been hurt but knew he hadn't pitched hardly any and was wondering where he had been.....Now we know.....

I seriously, seriously doubt that Cox dropping down his arm angle had anything to do with him getting hurt.

That does suck though- he's our third pitcher to have Tommy John in the last couple of weeks.

GhostRider
03-20-2014, 08:21 AM
Does anybody know who did the surgery?

Bo Darville
03-21-2014, 06:31 AM
I'm fully expecting Will James to call Cohen an idiot for not starting Will Cox in the upcoming Vandy series.

bully99
03-21-2014, 11:22 AM
I would like to see a before and after Tommy John on pitching whips. I know the braves have had a lot of tjs in the past few years.

preachermatt83
03-21-2014, 04:29 PM
I'm fully expecting Will James to call Cohen an idiot for not starting Will Cox in the upcoming Vandy series.

cox could have been(still one day may be) a very quality SEC starting pitcher.

Todd4State
03-21-2014, 04:40 PM
cox could have been(still one day may be) a very quality SEC starting pitcher.

You don't see very many sidearm/submarine guys starting. They're typically most effective one time through the order. After that, good hitters tend to pick up on their arm angle and most of the time they are basically two pitch guys.

preachermatt83
03-21-2014, 04:48 PM
You don't see very many sidearm/submarine guys starting. They're typically most effective one time through the order. After that, good hitters tend to pick up on their arm angle and most of the time they are basically two pitch guys.

I agree, but only in part. Chad Girado could give you 7+ innings on a regular basis.

shoeless joe
03-21-2014, 05:26 PM
I agree, but only in part. Chad Girado could give you 7+ innings on a regular basis.

Girodo was more of a low 3/4. But he had 3 pitches which is how he could do it.

CadaverDawg
03-21-2014, 05:47 PM
Girodo was more of a low 3/4. But he had 3 pitches which is how he could do it.

Yep, nailed it. Preacherman is a good dude, but I believe he let his prediction on Preston Brown go to his head! He's been spoutin some nonsense this week, ha.

No hard feelings, preach

rtdawg
03-21-2014, 10:23 PM
The more and more I see pitchers arms needing surgery, etc, I will start to think what the effect of kids that are playing more and more games younger and younger is going to have. We are getting where these kids started playing 50-60 games during the fall/spring at a young age and the best athletes pitched a lot. I hate this for Will and the other guys but just think this is going to be a trend for every school moving forward....I'm saying this as a father of a 13 yr old that sees this happen a lot and just concerned of long term effects. Would love to hear others opinions about this.