PDA

View Full Version : Friday night starter

ButcherShop
03-19-2014, 12:06 AM
Am I the only one who wants to see Preston Brown throw Friday night? He's thrown great every time he's pitched and I think it's time we give him a shot against someone like Vandy.

shoeless joe
03-19-2014, 12:13 AM
I would have no problem seeing brown go Friday nite. Also, would have no problem seeing woody out there if the coaches are confident in him. As long as Mitchell/fitts are the Saturday/Sunday guys I think we will be fine.

Todd4State
03-19-2014, 12:20 AM
More than likely, Preston will start Friday. If he doesn't start Friday, he will start Sunday.

It's too soon to know and won't be decided upon until later in the week. The only way it doesn't happen is if Woodruff looks significantly better in practice. Even then, I expect the coaches to err on the side of caution and possibly start Woodruff against SEMO State.

They may do a Fri.- TBA Sat.- Fitts Sun.- TBA

But I'm expecting Preston on Friday, Fitts on Saturday, and Ross on Sunday. If someone was going to ask my opinion.

messageboardsuperhero
03-19-2014, 12:30 AM
I think Ross is going to pitch on either Friday or Saturday- this would probably move Fitts to Sunday. Here's my guess:

Friday- Bracewell or Brown
Saturday- Mitchell
Sunday- Fitts

SEMO State- Woodruff, hopefully; if not, whoever doesn't start on Friday.

sbcmortgageman
03-19-2014, 04:21 AM
I think it will be Bracewell, Ross and Fitts in that order. But seeing Brown on Friday wouldn't surprise me.

MarketingBully01
03-19-2014, 06:42 AM
We need to pitch whatever pitchers that makes Cohen play Britton at third and put Detz at the DH. Britton needs to start all games at 3rd. That is all.

missouridawg
03-19-2014, 07:23 AM
Ross has the ability to put hitters in a slump with his unconventional style of pitching. I'd much rather see our most consistent/dominant pitcher go first, to make sure those slumps start in game 1 of the series, instead of game 2.

Friday - Ross
Saturday - Fitts
Sunday - Brown

Bracewell doesn't deserve a start this weekend, in my opinion.

msstate7
03-19-2014, 08:48 AM
Ross has the ability to put hitters in a slump with his unconventional style of pitching. I'd much rather see our most consistent/dominant pitcher go first, to make sure those slumps start in game 1 of the series, instead of game 2.

Friday - Ross
Saturday - Fitts
Sunday - Brown

Bracewell doesn't deserve a start this weekend, in my opinion.

I agree. Bracewell out of pen would benefit the team more

Drugdog
03-19-2014, 09:24 AM
I hope we throw our best on Friday night. Based on Vandys history on Sat and Sun, We HAVE to win on Friday night.
I would like to see Ross first. He is damn near unbeatable. Get a win, pressure eases up a bit, play loose on Sat and Sun. Plus a huge crowd should be there on Sat if we win on Fri.

The Croom Diaries
03-19-2014, 01:41 PM
I'd start Ross, but whoever it is, in any game this weekend, they'll have to be on their A game to win. Their pitching numbers are scary good so far this year: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/vand/sports/m-basebl/auto_pdf/2013-14/stats/season_stats.pdf

mk1984
03-19-2014, 03:51 PM
I would go with
Friday Mitchell
Saturday Fitts
Sunday Brown

That way hopefully you have plenty of help for Brown on Sunday if he gets in early trouble

Real Deal
03-19-2014, 03:58 PM
You have to throw Preston Brown and Ross Mitchell on Friday and Saturday. What is the order? I know know, but on one hand Ross is your best, so you throw him, but on the other hand, Preston has the most rest. You still have a heck of a battle coming Saturday anyway, so I'm inclined to throw Preston on Friday with Lindgren ready to back him up. Ross with Bracewell on Saturday. Fitts on Sunday.

shoeless joe
03-19-2014, 04:57 PM
I wouldn't throw Mitchell on Friday. Throw him Friday and lose then you are set up two lose the series. Plus he is almost guaranteed to out duel a 2 or 3 guy from another team. But an ace like beede could out duel him.

However, throw brown/woody Friday hope for the best and either way we are set up to have a good chance to still take the series.

I know the popular thought process is that you gotta throw an ace on Friday but sometimes a different approach is needed if it better fits your team: See last years pitching approach.

maroonmania
03-19-2014, 05:18 PM
Just remember pitching on Friday night in the SEC is vastly different than pitching any other time just due to expectations and pressure and dueling with another SEC team's ace. I have no feel for how Brown will respond to that. Remember, Bracewell is a 5th year SR and has looked as good as any pitcher on our staff this year UNTIL he pitched against GA last Friday night in the SEC. Suddenly he looked rather pedestrian.

preachermatt83
03-19-2014, 05:33 PM
I wouldn't throw Mitchell on Friday. Throw him Friday and lose then you are set up two lose the series. Plus he is almost guaranteed to out duel a 2 or 3 guy from another team. But an ace like beede could out duel him.

However, throw brown/woody Friday hope for the best and either way we are set up to have a good chance to still take the series.

I know the popular thought process is that you gotta throw an ace on Friday but sometimes a different approach is needed if it better fits your team: See last years pitching approach.

YES! This guy gets it! a million times yes!!

We are facing Beede Friday and I'd rather Ross go against their two or three because we can actually score a run or two maybe but I don't even see us scoring on Beede.. But either way my guess, if I know Cohen, and also would be who I would go with...

Fri... Brown
Sat... Ross
Sun... Fitts

maroonmania
03-19-2014, 05:42 PM
I'm almost starting to think you can almost treat Mitchell like a softball pitcher and go:

Fri...Mitchell (5 innings)
Sat..Fitts
Sun..Mitchell (5 innings)

He certainly never seems to really tire.

Drugdog
03-19-2014, 05:44 PM
YES! This guy gets it! a million times yes!!

We are facing Beede Friday and I'd rather Ross go against their two or three because we can actually score a run or two maybe but I don't even see us scoring on Beede.. But either way my guess, if I know Cohen, and also would be who I would go with...

Fri... Brown
Sat... Ross
Sun... Fitts

After reading this post I change my mind. Ross on Sat. Great analysis guys.

preachermatt83
03-19-2014, 05:49 PM
After reading this post I change my mind. Ross on Sat. Great analysis guys.

Glad to help brotha! haha!!

http://img.pandawhale.com/73639-Jim-Carrey-takes-a-bow-gif-Tru-hcHP.gif

Todd4State
03-19-2014, 05:56 PM
We beat Tyler Beede in the SEC Championship Game and we scored a couple of runs on him last year on seven hits. He's very talented, but we have as good a chance as anyone.

engie
03-19-2014, 06:22 PM
What is the advantage people are seeing in throwing Ross Saturday?

You get the most out of him by throwing him Sunday -- and having him available in limited relief on Friday in a jam behind a righty.

I wouldn't mess with the Saturday setup of Fitts, Lindgren, Holder. It's been our most effective thusfar. That is, unless you decide to make Lindgren the Friday starter...

shoeless joe
03-19-2014, 06:43 PM
What is the advantage people are seeing in throwing Ross Saturday?

You get the most out of him by throwing him Sunday -- and having him available in limited relief on Friday in a jam behind a righty.

I wouldn't mess with the Saturday setup of Fitts, Lindgren, Holder. It's been our most effective thusfar. That is, unless you decide to make Lindgren the Friday starter...

I would be ok with Ross on Sunday. I just don't think Cohen will use him Friday and then start him Sunday. He may, and if he feels confident in that approach then it may be doable. Not saying it's a bad idea I just don't see it happening.