PDA

View Full Version : Our Elitedawg undercover man on the scene today at practice

Coach34
03-18-2014, 08:03 PM
said Nick James looked like a lean, mean, fighting machine at practice. Lots of energy and hustle.

Nick James coming thru makes us a legit top 10 defense with alot of flexability on our defensive front. Shit I cant wait for football to get here.

Coach34
03-18-2014, 08:04 PM
Chapelle was backing up Tubby in the Slot

Pollodawg
03-18-2014, 08:15 PM
I am super excited about this season, but as far as Nick James, I am a skeptic. I heard Quay was "tearing it up" too some last off season. Just saying. I more than hope you are correct, though.

TexasDawg
03-18-2014, 08:19 PM
I saw a picture of Nick James on spring break, he is gonna be a man child

Steakonastick
03-18-2014, 08:23 PM
Really hope to see some 3-4 with James back. Especially vs spread teams. My front 7 I'd love to see.

Running downs

DE- Chris Jones
NG- James
DE- Eulls

OLB- Brown
ILB- Richie
ILB- BM
OLB- Wells

Then passing downs

DL- Chris Jones
DL- Ryan Brown
DL- Preston smith

OLB- BM time to turn him loose after the qb
LB- wells best cover lb
LB- who else is the 2nd cover lb

smootness
03-18-2014, 09:06 PM
At this point it isn't just one random rumor. We've been hearing about Nick James turning the corner for a while now, and Mullen himself said he is essentially the x-factor that could take us to the next level. I doubt he'd publicly say that unless he felt pretty good about where James is right now. All it takes for guys like that is the realization that if they put forth some effort, the rest of their life becomes far easier, and it looks like that light may have come on for him.

And yes, a ready-to-go Nick James legitimately gives us arguably the top DL in the SEC...which pretty much guarantees you have arguably the best DL in the country. And combined with our back 7, that would make our defense as good as anybody.

Think about it:
Chris Jones - 6'5" 300, manchild
Nick James - 6'5" 325, manchild
Preston Smith - 6'6" 267, could become a serious threat off the edge with more attention paid elsewhere
Kaleb Eulls - 6'4" 295, far better last year than anyone gave him credit for; he is really, really good at DT
PJ Jones - 6'3" 296
Ryan Brown - 6'6" 260
AJ Jefferson - 6'3" 265
Nelson Adams - 6'3" 295

That's not a whole lot smaller than an NFL DL, and there is some serious talent there. Add Will Coleman and the potential emergence of anyone from the group of Jordan Washington, Trent Simpson, John Harris, even Cory Thomas, and that line is no joke.

Coach34
03-18-2014, 09:13 PM
I am super excited about this season, but as far as Nick James, I am a skeptic. I heard Quay was "tearing it up" too some last off season. Just saying. I more than hope you are correct, though.

Quay had some ok days- but he twisted an ankle and was literally never heard from again after last Spring...what James is doing right now is a complete turnaround. He still has to make it to Sept 1st- but he has made some life changes and all signs point to him headed down the right path

James gives us the NG to play a 3-man front some- and makes Jones lethal on a side- with Preston coming off the other. In addition to him being our most physical DT- James just gives us some much flexability we wouldnt have without him.

We would be really good on D without him- but he literally makes us a GREAT defense

TexasDawg
03-18-2014, 09:18 PM
http://www.iphoneogram.com/p/676267231062621098_25183677/

Don't know how to put pics directly on here but here is James 4 days ago. The monster wearing the Arizona Cardinals hat

GreenheadDawg
03-18-2014, 09:20 PM
Is Nick a So. or Junior? He is listed as a sophomore but I thought he was a junior. This D-line could be absolutely elite. There is a damn good core behind them too

TexasDawg
03-18-2014, 09:24 PM
sophomore

PassInterference
03-18-2014, 09:24 PM
Damn Nick is looking good.

Somebody tell J Rob to lose the gut.

JDog13
03-18-2014, 09:25 PM
redshirted his sophmore year

Political Hack
03-18-2014, 09:29 PM
I'd expect to see a four man line with James and Jones on it. Can't double both of them inside. It's going to be nasty if those two line up at 1 and 3, with Smith and whoever else has the hot hand on the other side. I keep waiting for Dale to show up too. I still haven't given up hope on him becoming a gamer who can set the edge and make plays.

Coach34
03-18-2014, 09:33 PM
I'd expect to see a four man line with James and Jones on it. Can't double both of them inside. It's going to be nasty if those two line up at 1 and 3, with Smith and whoever else has the hot hand on the other side. I keep waiting for Dale to show up too. I still haven't given up hope on him becoming a gamer who can set the edge and make plays.

long way to go but:

DT's- we have Jones, James, Eulls, and PJ Jones. That is a very damn good 2-deep. And we still have others

DE's- I bet it's going to be Ryan Brown and Preston Smith...then you have AJ Jefferson...Dale and the juco coming in have to give us some snaps backing up Preston.

I think this DL has the chance to trump 1999. I really do.

War Machine Dawg
03-18-2014, 09:40 PM
long way to go but:

DT's- we have Jones, James, Eulls, and PJ Jones. That is a very damn good 2-deep. And we still have others

DE's- I bet it's going to be Ryan Brown and Preston Smith...then you have AJ Jefferson...Dale and the juco coming in have to give us some snaps backing up Preston.

Damn, that's a STRONG statement. Won't lie, I know at least 1 Bama fan who was wishing they had our DLine the latter part of last season. If this group plays to potential......damn, the thought gives me chills. We'll go as far as our O can carry us, should that happen.

Coach34
03-18-2014, 09:40 PM
Offensive line:

it's 1st day so shit gonna change:

RT- had Robinson in group 1 giving him a shot-as they should. Thomas was 2nd team
LT- Cole Carter running 2nd group- Senior 3rd group

Rufus worked at LG

Malone rode the bike

Political Hack
03-18-2014, 09:43 PM
it's exciting to think about. I wouldn't be shocked to see us go with James at DT and Jones next to him at DE. You know which way the double is going at that point which frees Collins up to draw up some Saban-esq blitz schemes. There's so much you can do with two studs like that... having Smith becoming what he has is only going to help too.

Coach34
03-18-2014, 09:46 PM
it's exciting to think about. I wouldn't be shocked to see us go with James at DT and Jones next to him at DE. You know which way the double is going at that point which frees Collins up to draw up some Saban-esq blitz schemes. There's so much you can do with two studs like that... having Smith becoming what he has is only going to help too.

absolutely

hailmari
03-18-2014, 09:49 PM
I noticed PJ Jones and Shelby Christy were off by themselves taking it slow today. Looked like they were rehabbing. PJ looked especially slow in his drills. I saw Eulls on the bike for a good bit too. But all that might just be nothing, I don't know any specifics.

The linebackers are f'n athletic. There won't be many that they can't run down, but I gotta wonder if we have a hard hitter in the entire group. But that's the sacrifice for speed.

The only other group that I could see much of was the WRs. Lewis showed some nice moves. I didn't see many drops. Mojo got upset with himself after a missed catch and dropped down for push-ups and got back after it immediately. That was good to see.

It was all pretty routine stuff, so there's not much to go on aside from that they do the routine stuff pretty well.

Todd4State
03-18-2014, 09:50 PM
Offensive line:

RT- had Robinson in group 1 giving him a shot-as they should. Thomas was 2nd team

Rufus worked at LG

Malone rode the bike

For some reason I noticed that Senior was only 280 on the roster/double play video the other day.

Pollodawg
03-18-2014, 09:53 PM
Quay had some ok days- but he twisted an ankle and was literally never heard from again after last Spring...what James is doing right now is a complete turnaround. He still has to make it to Sept 1st- but he has made some life changes and all signs point to him headed down the right path

James gives us the NG to play a 3-man front some- and makes Jones lethal on a side- with Preston coming off the other. In addition to him being our most physical DT- James just gives us some much flexability we wouldnt have without him.

We would be really good on D without him- but he literally makes us a GREAT defense

Sweet. Like I say, I want to believe you more than you know. I have had high hopes for James for a while, but so far, that was all they'd been.

smootness
03-18-2014, 09:55 PM
Damn Nick is looking good.

Somebody tell J Rob to lose the gut.

I feel pretty confident that isn't Josh Robinson.

smootness
03-18-2014, 09:59 PM

Yep, I think we see a good bit of Jones at DE, even in the 4-3. That's where he wants to play, and you're right that it would free up the entire other half of the line.

PMDawg
03-18-2014, 10:45 PM
Offensive line:

Rufus worked at LG

Malone rode the bike

This isn't some profound insightful statement, but this is what our season hinges on. Every other group is set, even the other ones with question marks only have small question marks. Our offensive tackles will decide our season. Hearing that Robinson is even competing for the 1st string job is worrisome. I know, I know, it's the first day. We literally have one legitimate offensive tackle at this point. That's scary. Maybe a couple more step up between now and September 1st...

Todd4State
03-18-2014, 11:36 PM
This isn't some profound insightful statement, but this is what our season hinges on. Every other group is set, even the other ones with question marks only have small question marks. Our offensive tackles will decide our season. Hearing that Robinson is even competing for the 1st string job is worrisome. I know, I know, it's the first day. We literally have one legitimate offensive tackle at this point. That's scary. Maybe a couple more step up between now and September 1st...

Why is letting him compete for a job worrisome? Either he will win it or not. Maybe the light bulb will go off in his head that says "hey! I can make millions of dollars". Maybe not- but if he doesn't, Dan isn't going to throw him out there.

Political Hack
03-19-2014, 08:24 AM

we can't absorb any injuries there for sure. I hope the Juco guy and Thomas play well. Carter could potentially give us valuable reps there too so long as the entire season doesn't fall on him to play 99% of the time. The good thing is we've got options with some older guys who have experience versus some younger guys who are extremely talented. With that combo, we'll find a servicable RT. Just hope the LT stays healthy...

RossDawg82
03-19-2014, 08:34 AM
I was out there for a little bit and I can say that Chris Jones just looks bigger than everyone else on that field. He is an absolute monster. I didn't get a chance to see Nick James but I didn't see anyone bigger than Chris Jones. He towers above everyone else on that field.

DanDority
03-19-2014, 08:47 AM

If it is, he may need to put the M Lite down and get on Mic Ultra...just saying.

thedawg
03-19-2014, 08:51 AM
Im betting Justin Malone is your starter at Right Tackle for the USM game

msstate7
03-19-2014, 08:51 AM
I was out there for a little bit and I can say that Chris Jones just looks bigger than everyone else on that field. He is an absolute monster. I didn't get a chance to see Nick James but I didn't see anyone bigger than Chris Jones. He towers above everyone else on that field.

Imagine what would go thru an ol's mind when they see nick and Chris lined up beside each other in the middle.

smootness
03-19-2014, 09:08 AM
If it is, he may need to put the M Lite down and get on Mic Ultra...just saying.

It just doesn't look anything like him, and there's no way he got legitimately fat that quickly.

Coach34
03-19-2014, 09:13 AM

that's my thinking also...but it's 1st week of Spring- you have to give guys a chance to show what they can do

thedawg
03-19-2014, 09:14 AM
that's my thinking also...but it's 1st week of Spring- you have to give guys a chance to show what they can do

Totally agree.. Make him work for it.. create depth through competition

hacker
03-19-2014, 10:29 AM

http://instagram.com/p/lui0CEOXtC/

Political Hack
03-19-2014, 10:38 AM

Nick James was the one that had shoulders as wide as a car You know, the one that walked up to the OL and all of a sudden you couldn't see the Center or either of the two OGs.

Political Hack
03-19-2014, 10:39 AM
http://instagram.com/p/lui0CEOXtC/

Tubby and Fatty.***

PMDawg
03-19-2014, 11:19 AM
Why is letting him compete for a job worrisome? Either he will win it or not. Maybe the light bulb will go off in his head that says "hey! I can make millions of dollars". Maybe not- but if he doesn't, Dan isn't going to throw him out there.

Because we've seen what he has to offer, and if he's one of the best options available then we may have a problem. Maybe he'll surprise me, but he was just awful last year.

Sandman14
03-19-2014, 11:30 AM
Because we've seen what he has to offer, and if he's one of the best options available then we may have a problem. Maybe he'll surprise me, but he was just awful last year.

it's great when freshmen linemen can come in and compete, but it's also rare. chris jones and kemdeechee are not the norm. this kid is a redshirt sophomore and you have written him off because he couldn't compete in the SEC as a redshirt freshman?

Johnson85
03-19-2014, 11:44 AM
it's great when freshmen linemen can come in and compete, but it's also rare. chris jones and kemdeechee are not the norm. this kid is a redshirt sophomore and you have written him off because he couldn't compete in the SEC as a redshirt freshman?

Robinson is a Sr. We probably will be in trouble if he is our starting RT. Not a knock on him; I haven't heard any comments that he's not putting the work in or anything, but I doubt we're going to see any big jump from him at this point.

Johnson85
03-19-2014, 11:47 AM
Offensive line:

Rufus worked at LG

Malone rode the bike

Has there been any talk of Thomas looking like he's read this year? I wasn't expecting him to even be on the two deep.

I would have thought Rufus would work at tackle coming from the TE spot. Wouldn't that typically be a better fit for a converted TE?

Is Senior going to be able to put on weight? He's listed at 280 now. How much heavier is that from when we signed him?

engie
03-19-2014, 11:58 AM
Has there been any talk of Thomas looking like he's read this year? I wasn't expecting him to even be on the two deep.

I would have thought Rufus would work at tackle coming from the TE spot. Wouldn't that typically be a better fit for a converted TE?

Is Senior going to be able to put on weight? He's listed at 280 now. How much heavier is that from when we signed him?

All of our "new" OL start out at guard. Easier and quicker to learn that way. When they are ready, the ones that are tackles will bump out to tackle.

Thomas isn't going to be in the 2-deep at tackle... Most likely, he's 3rd string RT...

Senior's weight is listed wrong. One of many typos on the roster. There was very little drop off from Clausell to him last year. He even started at least one game at LT and no one really noticed(a good thing). As of today, IMO he's our second best tackle. If he's not bumped over to the competition at right tackle -- that means we feel good about the spot IMO.

dickiedawg
03-19-2014, 02:23 PM
http://www.iphoneogram.com/p/676267231062621098_25183677/

Don't know how to put pics directly on here but here is James 4 days ago. The monster wearing the Arizona Cardinals hat

One of these things is not like the others....
I'm not sure I've seen anyone look more out of place than that girl in the picture.

PMDawg
03-19-2014, 03:39 PM
All of our "new" OL start out at guard. Easier and quicker to learn that way. When they are ready, the ones that are tackles will bump out to tackle.

Thomas isn't going to be in the 2-deep at tackle... Most likely, he's 3rd string RT...

Senior's weight is listed wrong. One of many typos on the roster. There was very little drop off from Clausell to him last year. He even started at least one game at LT and no one really noticed(a good thing). As of today, IMO he's our second best tackle. If he's not bumped over to the competition at right tackle -- that means we feel good about the spot IMO.

This makes me feel better. Which game did he start?

PMDawg
03-19-2014, 03:45 PM

Aaaaand a swing and a miss (as usual). If I'm not bad mistaken, this will be his 5th year in the program (RS Sr). But it will be at least his 4th because he'll be a senior this season. Luckily, I wasn't logged in on my phone so I got to see this gem of a post instead of just seeing the normal "user comment hidden".

Covercorner2
03-19-2014, 03:59 PM
Nick James is a sophomore...

Coach34
03-19-2014, 04:01 PM
He's talking about Damien Robinson...Sandman was being an idiot as usual

chef dixon
03-19-2014, 04:22 PM
So Nick James plays, we suddenly become elite on the D line? I hope so, but what has he played like 20 snaps at MSU against SWAC teams? Its not like we are "getting him back" and he already knows what he's doing on the field.

msstate7
03-19-2014, 04:27 PM
So Nick James plays, we suddenly become elite on the D line? I hope so, but what has he played like 20 snaps at MSU against SWAC teams? Its not like we are "getting him back" and he already knows what he's doing on the field.

I think we'll be pushing elite on our d'line no matter what nick does. I really like our d'line

mic
03-19-2014, 04:39 PM

Rufus was at at RT

mic
03-19-2014, 04:43 PM

I think Justin is going to take it slow this spring coming off his injury.. RT will def be a battle probably all the way up to last few weeks of fall camp

Coach34
03-19-2014, 05:03 PM

In the past, when Nick has gotten after it in practice- he has been harder to block than Eulls or PJ. Now he is in shape, he will be even tougher.

Adding Nick James- to an already very damn good DL- yes, will make it elite

engie
03-19-2014, 06:37 PM
James is the best damn DL I've ever seen at his size in person. His first step quickness and power is something that doesn't come around very often. Judge for yourself against elite highschool OL...

http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/recruiting-football/Army-Combine-OL-v-DL-Pt2-1017617

GreenheadDawg
03-19-2014, 06:47 PM
James is the best damn DL I've ever seen at his size in person. His first step quickness and power is something that doesn't come around very often. Judge for yourself against elite highschool OL...

http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/recruiting-football/Army-Combine-OL-v-DL-Pt2-1017617

That is just stupid athleticism for a guy that weight 300+. I pray he keeps his head straight and really wants to play.

99jc
03-19-2014, 06:54 PM
long way to go but:

AND I HOPE YOUR RIGHT!

TexasDawg
03-19-2014, 07:07 PM
That is just stupid athleticism for a guy that weight 300+. I pray he keeps his head straight and really wants to play.

If he has already gotten in this great of shape there is no doubt in my mind his head is and will continue to be on straight

archdog
03-19-2014, 07:52 PM
That video was bad ass. Nick James brings the heat. I watched the rest of that video and he was the best in it.

chef dixon
03-19-2014, 09:36 PM

He is impressive there, got a mean streak too it seems. I think I only saw the OL win one of those entire drills.

Pollodawg
03-20-2014, 08:54 AM
I am excited. That's for sure. I just hope I can still say that come the middle of October. But I probably will be able to. I am always excited for MSU football.

Pollodawg
03-20-2014, 08:56 AM

I have never seen that vid. That is awesome. He looks meaner than hell too. I like that in a D lineman.