PDA

View Full Version : OT: New Starkville eateries

starkvegasdawg
03-18-2014, 06:53 PM
It was just tweeted out Starkvegas is getting a Hungry Howies, Jimmy Johns, and Salsaritas. So, another pizza place, sandwich place, and Mexican restaurant. Guess you can never have too many.

hailmari
03-18-2014, 06:58 PM
I wonder where they'll go. I'm not familiar with any of them, so I'm not sure what to picture. Something needs to go in that empty lot across from Harvey's.

Duckdawg
03-18-2014, 07:01 PM
Salsaritas is a better Moe's, hungry howie's is little Caesars with a good selection of crusts, and Jimmy Johns is sandwiches.

rrog17
03-18-2014, 07:25 PM
Firehouse has the best subs!!!

Bothrops
03-18-2014, 07:29 PM
Firehouse is good. Hungry Howies is a decent size pizza chain out of Michigan.

Political Hack
03-18-2014, 07:48 PM
holiday inn lunchtime buffet was the best deal in Starkville.

bully99
03-18-2014, 08:00 PM
Ron Polk loved him some holiday inn food back in the day, ate breakfast there a lot.

DCdawg
03-18-2014, 08:18 PM
Supposedly they'll be located adjacent to the mill project. Across the street from the Cooley Building I assume.

BoomBoom
03-18-2014, 09:04 PM
Salsaritas is a better Moe's, hungry howie's is little Caesars with a good selection of crusts, and Jimmy Johns is sandwiches.

Salsaritas wishes they were half as good as Moe's.

TheRef
03-18-2014, 10:11 PM
Jimmy Johns also delivers...drunk food paradise.

BeastMan
03-18-2014, 10:34 PM
I like Hungry Howies. Flavored crust pizzas

defiantdog
03-19-2014, 01:06 AM
Why won't Starkville just get with the times and create some type of shopping facility? It doesn't have to be a mall but damnit.... create some type of revenue. The acceptance of new business in Starkville seems to scare the people living there.

I remember the uproar the elders had when Lowes came to town and how it was gonna shut down the smaller hardware stores.

LeakyD
03-19-2014, 08:05 AM
I've heard Starkville is getting a Marriott with a conference center. I used to hit that Holiday Inn buffet a lot myself.

jbjones
03-19-2014, 08:09 AM
I remember the uproar the elders had when Lowes came to town and how it was gonna shut down the smaller hardware stores.

Well, it pretty much did. Van Landingham's...gone. E. MS Lumber is only a shell of its former self.

Political Hack
03-19-2014, 08:18 AM
Favorite Five places to eat lunch in Starkville:
Cappe's
Lil Dooeys
Petty's
Oby's
Holiday Inn

Top places to eat dinner:
Veranda
Tyler
then repeat the lunch the cycle...

rbdog82
03-19-2014, 08:47 AM
Jimmy John's is the most overrated sandwich place in Madison. You can make a better sandwich at your house.

starkvegasdawg
03-19-2014, 08:51 AM
Jimmy John's is the most overrated sandwich place in Madison. You can make a better sandwich at your house.

That's ok. Here in Starkville we still have two Sweet Peppers, two subways, McAllisters, and a Firehouse Subs to choose from. Am I missing any? I think the Quiznos closed.

Rick Danko
03-19-2014, 09:09 AM
Well, it pretty much did. Van Landingham's...gone. E. MS Lumber is only a shell of its former self.

Damn, Van Landingham's closed? I remember when I was in school going there to apply for a job and thought that place was unbelievable. Didn't get the job but hate to hear it closed.

jbjones
03-19-2014, 09:27 AM
Damn, Van Landingham's closed? I remember when I was in school going there to apply for a job and thought that place was unbelievable. Didn't get the job but hate to hear it closed.

Oh yeah..maybe 8-10 years ago? It's been a while.

lefty96
03-19-2014, 10:04 AM

I don't know why people like it so much, they are just awful. Cold cuts, shredded lettuce and a gallon of mayo on stiff bread, I'll pass.

Chuck Finley
03-19-2014, 10:11 AM
That's ok. Here in Starkville we still have two Sweet Peppers, two subways, McAllisters, and a Firehouse Subs to choose from. Am I missing any? I think the Quiznos closed.

Lenny's. Does Newks count as a sandwich place?
Also, there is another Subway on Jackson St (just north of 182 by the Shell station).

dickiedawg
03-19-2014, 10:15 AM
This is good news. I said the same thing when Firehouse and Lost Pizza came. But Firehouse is easily the best sandwich place in town, and we usually choose LP when we want to sit and eat pizza. That said, starkville did not need another pizza joint. Stromboli's, Old Venice, C.J.'s, Dave's. Pretty much had the "premium" pizza market covered. I presume Hungry Howie's is more of a competitor to Little Caesar's so I don't mind that- I like the idea of little caesar's but the execution is pretty terrible IMO.

What Starkville DID need, however, was a place that delivers something other than pizza. Pita Pit is now in that market, as is (I think?) Christie's Hamburgers. I've said for a while now (ever since JJ's opened in Columbus and I tried it) that it would clean house in Starkville. Plus, that area on Russell Street can support several restaurants and really only has McCallister's and Papa John's so far.

As for Salsarita's, I've never had that but if it's comparable to Moe's it has tremendous potential in that location. That little area in particular could be a really cool, hip part of town.

I just get really excited when new things come to Starkville (and aggravated when everything seems to move into Columbus. Why couldn't we have a PetSmart or Longhorn?)

Eric Nies Grind Time
03-19-2014, 10:24 AM
This is good news. I said the same thing when Firehouse and Lost Pizza came. But Firehouse is easily the best sandwich place in town, and we usually choose LP when we want to sit and eat pizza. That said, starkville did not need another pizza joint. Stromboli's, Old Venice, C.J.'s, Dave's. Pretty much had the "premium" pizza market covered. I presume Hungry Howie's is more of a competitor to Little Caesar's so I don't mind that- I like the idea of little caesar's but the execution is pretty terrible IMO.

What Starkville DID need, however, was a place that delivers something other than pizza. Pita Pit is now in that market, as is (I think?) Christie's Hamburgers. I've said for a while now (ever since JJ's opened in Columbus and I tried it) that it would clean house in Starkville. Plus, that area on Russell Street can support several restaurants and really only has McCallister's and Papa John's so far.

As for Salsarita's, I've never had that but if it's comparable to Moe's it has tremendous potential in that location. That little area in particular could be a really cool, hip part of town.

I just get really excited when new things come to Starkville (and aggravated when everything seems to move into Columbus. Why couldn't we have a PetSmart or Longhorn?)

It's a college town. I don't have a problem with there being a lot of places that college students like. Sandwich, pizza, mexican, wings.

Political Hack
03-19-2014, 10:36 AM
Oby's is the best sandwich place in town and it's not even close. Maybe everyone is considering them in a league of their own and not really considering them, but they are primarily a sandwich shop and nobody else in StarkVegas is even close.

starkvegasdawg
03-19-2014, 10:50 AM
Oby's is the best sandwich place in town and it's not even close. Maybe everyone is considering them in a league of their own and not really considering them, but they are primarily a sandwich shop and nobody else in StarkVegas is even close.

You are correct. They are the best without a doubt. I guess I was thinking more the chain places when making my list. Oby's is indeed in a league of their own. What I wish Starkville would get (chain wise) is an Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Golden Corrall, or Cracker Barrell. I had heard some rumors a couple years ago involving Olive Garden but I guess it fizzled out.

dickiedawg
03-19-2014, 10:54 AM
Oby's is definitely a league of their own. I don't even think of them as a sandwich shop, really, it's... something else. I usually get their chicken tender platter.

jbjones
03-19-2014, 11:14 AM
You are correct. They are the best without a doubt. I guess I was thinking more the chain places when making my list. Oby's is indeed in a league of their own. What I wish Starkville would get (chain wise) is an Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Golden Corrall, or Cracker Barrell. I had heard some rumors a couple years ago involving Olive Garden but I guess it fizzled out.

No way. Screw the chains. We've got enough already. We need more mom/pop/local joints like Christy's, Petty's, etc. Joints that don't serve cisco pre-packaged, microwavable crap.

Political Hack
03-19-2014, 11:18 AM
No way. Screw the chains. We've got enough already. We need more mom/pop/local joints like Christy's, Petty's, etc. Joints that don't serve cisco pre-packaged, microwavable crap.

I'm with you here. there are a few chains worth exploring if they cater to college kids (five guys, chipotle, etc...), but restaurant chains don't cater to college kids. I wish we'd see more mom and pops start up there. there's a market for it if done to scale, but everyone builds to capacity thinking of college football weekends rather than thinking about the random Tuesday lunch 52 weeks of the year.

Johnson85
03-19-2014, 11:24 AM

Cotton District Deli? Best sandwhich place in town by far when I was in school but haven't checked to see if it's open lately. Was back in a gas station last time I ate there.

ETA: And Bulldog Deli?

Johnson85
03-19-2014, 11:25 AM

It must have gotten better after I left school. Was basically just slightly higher quality McCallisters type place when I was there.

hailmari
03-19-2014, 11:32 AM
I must not order the right thing at Oby's then.. I've gotten a poboy on several occasions and it's practically been me paying ten bucks for a bread sandwich. I eventually gave up on it. Chicken tenders are good though.

Restaurant Tyler/Zorbas and Cappee's are my favorite blue plate lunch spots.

Johnson85
03-19-2014, 11:33 AM
I'm with you here. there are a few chains worth exploring if they cater to college kids (five guys, chipotle, etc...), but restaurant chains don't cater to college kids. I wish we'd see more mom and pops start up there. there's a market for it if done to scale, but everyone builds to capacity thinking of college football weekends rather than thinking about the random Tuesday lunch 52 weeks of the year.

I don't even want five guys or chipotle. No need for them in a college town. Should be no problem filling those needs with mom and pops. Starkville is in pretty decent shape as far as good cheap college food. A Keefer's equivalent with outside seating like at the old Blue Marlin/Tikki woudl be nice, and maybe a local sports bar/hotwings place, but it has decent to good options on bbq, pizza, sushi, hamburgers, sandwhiches, etc. I don't know if the student population will spend the money to support them, but if anything I would say Starkville needs a few more fine dining options. Doesn't need to be white table cloth, and in fact should probably be hole in the wall, but somewhere that you can get nice food in addition to the veranda and restaurant tyler. Basically a lusco's/does/tico's type place or a mayflower or anthony's type place.

starkvegasdawg
03-19-2014, 11:54 AM
I'll tell you one that I wish we still had was Flo and Eddy's.

dickiedawg
03-19-2014, 02:14 PM
I don't even want five guys or chipotle. No need for them in a college town. Should be no problem filling those needs with mom and pops. Starkville is in pretty decent shape as far as good cheap college food. A Keefer's equivalent with outside seating like at the old Blue Marlin/Tikki woudl be nice, and maybe a local sports bar/hotwings place, but it has decent to good options on bbq, pizza, sushi, hamburgers, sandwhiches, etc. I don't know if the student population will spend the money to support them, but if anything I would say Starkville needs a few more fine dining options. Doesn't need to be white table cloth, and in fact should probably be hole in the wall, but somewhere that you can get nice food in addition to the veranda and restaurant tyler. Basically a lusco's/does/tico's type place or a mayflower or anthony's type place.

They won't. But retirees and parents will.

As for other options, there are The Grill and Harvey's which are both upscale, but not quite to the degree of Tyler or Veranda. Tyler is ferociously expensive. Veranda can be as well but they have options that aren't quite as budget-busting.

Esmerelda Villalobos
03-19-2014, 02:20 PM
The only place I envy oxford is the food department. They have 5 restaurants that are outstanding. We have 1.

defiantdog
03-19-2014, 02:51 PM
I'll tell you one that I wish we still had was Flo and Eddy's.

I remember a lot of regretful nights starting at Flo and Eddy's

M.Fillmore
03-19-2014, 02:53 PM

I ate at a Jimmy John's in Omaha when at the CWS. I have the same opinion. Very ordinary. Subway was less expensive and better.

esplanade91
03-19-2014, 02:56 PM
We used to drive to Columbus to go to Jimmy John's. It's amazing. Drew Brees owns several in NOLA.

Political Hack
03-19-2014, 03:08 PM
The only place I envy oxford is the food department. They have 5 restaurants that are outstanding. We have 1.

I think we have 2.

Real Deal
03-19-2014, 03:11 PM
but if anything I would say Starkville needs a few more fine dining options. Doesn't need to be white table cloth, and in fact should probably be hole in the wall, but somewhere that you can get nice food in addition to the veranda and restaurant tyler. Basically a lusco's/does/tico's type place or a mayflower or anthony's type place.
We need to start thinking of MSU/Starkville as the Golden Triangle Region, which includes Columbus and West Point. That would encompass more restaurant and tourism options. Old Waverly, Columbus Lake, the Tenn-Tom, GTR Airport, Noxubee Refuge, Mossy Oak, Columbus AFB, etc. Even the Pony. I know this is sort of an off-shoot of the thread but your mentioning of Anthony's made me think about that. I was always for the merger of MSU and MUW for this reason. Gives us a bigger profile. Everything in Oktibbeha, Clay and Lowndes County should be considered 'MSU'. We need total cooperation between all three counties and their county seats.

DawgHouseUnited
03-19-2014, 03:31 PM
We need to start thinking of MSU/Starkville as the Golden Triangle Region, which includes Columbus and West Point. That would encompass more restaurant and tourism options. Old Waverly, Columbus Lake, the Tenn-Tom, GTR Airport, Noxubee Refuge, Mossy Oak, Columbus AFB, etc. Even the Pony. I know this is sort of an off-shoot of the thread but your mentioning of Anthony's made me think about that. I was always for the merger of MSU and MUW for this reason. Gives us a bigger profile. Everything in Oktibbeha, Clay and Lowndes County should be considered 'MSU'. We need total cooperation between all three counties and their county seats.

Total thread drift here, but I remember a conversation I overheard once on the coast. The people talking didn't know the Golden Triangle area, but it came up in conversation. Someone asked, "Golden Triangle? Is that like a blonde girl's nether-region?"

Johnson85
03-19-2014, 03:36 PM

But they don't have a lot of good cheap food, so it's a tradeoff. If money doesn't matter or if you're only talking about splurging for a weekend, Oxford is great. But as a college student, I'd prefer Starkville.

ETA: And what five do you think are outstanding?

I come up with City Grocery and I assume Snack Bar as outstanding and the only restaurants Starkville doesn't really have an answer to (I haven't eaten at Tyler so can't speak to it). There were other good restaurants last time I was there but they weren't anything great (not better than Anthony's or the Veranda) and they eventually went out of business. Are there some newer ones that are good?

Barkman Turner Overdrive
03-19-2014, 06:59 PM

I live near both a Salsaritas and a Moe's. Salsaritas was here several months before Moe's. I've been to Salsaritas once and Moe's dozens of times. I honestly don't know how Salsaritas stays open. Now, mind you, if there was a Chipolte nearby, I would never step foot inside Moe's ever again.