PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting BBall Overseas

dawgs
03-18-2014, 06:32 PM
so since it's apparent we aren't "playing" the AAU game anymore in recruiting. and that the south just generally does not produce the lesser talented, but more polished players we need to offset the better AAU talent our peers are going after (it's been mentioned on here plenty about HS/AAU coaching, particularly in the south, and how the good MBB recruits are too raw and that's why so many SEC programs are struggling to rise about the mid-seed NCAA tourney level). are we looking overseas for talent? not just europe, but australia and south america too? the best mid-majors always seem to have a couple of foreign players. this should be an area of recruiting we should be focusing on big time imo if we are going away from the AAU game and want to build our program in more of the mid-major mold instead of recruiting the best athletes like our SEC peers. we've had a couple of players in the past of course, but i'm talking a much more concerted effort and expanding our target areas. start creating some pipelines. if we are going to do this, let's give ourselves the best chance to succeed at it, because the kids in the south right now aren't getting the coaching necessary to be the polished players we need to beat out teams with more raw talent.

yeah i know i rambled, i don't feel like cleaning up the post at the moment.

engie
03-18-2014, 06:35 PM
When did it become apparent that we aren't playing the AAU game anymore in recruiting?

Dawg61
03-18-2014, 07:11 PM
Brick Ray couldn't even recruit 30 miles away last year. Good luck getting him to recruit 3,000 miles away.

Drugdog
03-18-2014, 07:22 PM
Brick Ray couldn't even recruit 30 miles away last year. Good luck getting him to recruit 3,000 miles away.

Can you EVER say anything positive?
Jeez give it a rest.

Dawg61
03-18-2014, 07:27 PM
Can you EVER say anything positive?
Jeez give it a rest.

Yes. Today isn't that day with Auburn getting Pearl.

Drugdog
03-18-2014, 07:30 PM

And what will be your excuse the next month?

Dawg61
03-18-2014, 07:36 PM
And what will be your excuse the next month?

I'm generally a positive and humorous poster. Not so much in basketball threads lately. I don't take being the worst SEC team well. Not sure about the rest of y'all but it's like a ****ing fire alarm going off continuously for me until this shit gets corrected. I'm not on board the slow molasses train in route to hustle and suck, arrival time is the next 8 years.

Drugdog
03-18-2014, 07:39 PM

No your a miserable poster.

Dawg61
03-18-2014, 07:57 PM
No your a miserable poster.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-m5IRSaR13_Q/UEaNfMMAp8I/AAAAAAAAUIs/gsvX6ZqrdEw/s1600/your-youre.jpg

Brad Stevens
03-18-2014, 08:56 PM
The guy's name is "Drugdog," and he may have improper grammar, but the point he was attempting to make remains true. Your posting is miserable.

smootness
03-18-2014, 09:08 PM
Yeah, we aren't playing the AAU game. It's why our top target is the top player in the country. Where does this stuff come from?

Dawg61
03-18-2014, 09:11 PM
The guy's name is "Drugdog," and he may have improper grammar, but the point he was attempting to make remains true. Your posting is miserable.

My basketball posting mirrors our basketball program. When we are where we are supposed to be you'll see my posts become much more user friendly. It's only been two years of suck. Shirley the USS Ray won't be at the bottom of the ocean next year right? One thing I took from the Croom era is that I will NEVER pump sunshine up our asses anymore after having everyone MSU pumping it up ours for 5 years. You were in Memphis high school back then though Bradley so I can't expect you to understand.

Brad Stevens
03-18-2014, 09:17 PM
My basketball posting mirrors our basketball program. When we are where we are supposed to be you'll see my posts become much more user friendly. It's only been two years of suck. Shirley the USS Ray won't be at the bottom of the ocean next year right? One thing I took from the Croom era is that I will NEVER pump sunshine up our asses anymore after having everyone MSU pumping it up ours for 5 years. You were in Memphis high school back then though Bradley so I can't expect you to understand.

I am no sunshine pumper. I ask for one year of patience. All you do is state the obvious, with a good portion of idiocy mixed in. I agree if we aren't near NIT next year, I wouldn't be opposed to moving on. I did not play basketball in Memphis, but I appreciate your attempt at an insult.

Dawg61
03-18-2014, 09:51 PM
I am no sunshine pumper. I ask for one year of patience. All you do is state the obvious, with a good portion of idiocy mixed in. I agree if we aren't near NIT next year, I wouldn't be opposed to moving on. I did not play basketball in Memphis, but I appreciate your attempt at an insult.

So now it's just NEAR NIT for Brick Ray. Wow that bar just keeps getting lower for him. Soon he'll just be pushing thin air. Here's my expectations for Ray. Fill and dress 13 scholarship players by tip of game 1. That's it. Shouldn't be tough right? He'll only of had 32 months to accomplish the most simple of all tasks. Do that and I'll grant him a third year to MAKE the NIT or be gone.

Why does the obvious offend you? Someone's got to say it or else we get the Pumpers filling this board with bullshit hopes and dreams of landing Malik Newman. Newsflash: Nike has a $50 million dollar shoe deal waiting for Newman. We ain't Nike. We ain't signing the basketball god in Jackson. Want me in a good mood? Don't catch me on the day Auburn signs the coach I've been screaming for for the last two months. I ain't exactly pleased about it.

smootness
03-18-2014, 10:04 PM
News flash: Nike isn't signing anybody while they're still in college. Another news flash: The company a kid wears in college has nothing to do with any deals he may sign once he leaves college. Adidas/Nike has absolutely nothing to do with Newman's college decision, unless he just loves wearing Nike shoes that much.

And if you actually thought we might fire Ray and hire Pearl, you're insane.

Coach34
03-18-2014, 10:11 PM

There were better odds of me banging Kate Upton

Dawg61
03-18-2014, 10:19 PM
There were better odds of me banging Kate Upton

Which Kate Upton? The fat version or the fatter version?

dawgs
03-18-2014, 10:24 PM
Yeah, we aren't playing the AAU game. It's why our top target is the top player in the country. Where does this stuff come from?

he's 2 hours from campus and his dad starred for us. it's definitely not the norm for the players we've been targeting, and C34, engie, etc. have all repeatedly said we aren't gonna be showing "love" anymore. it's also been cited repeatedly as the reason we went for ray over kenny payne (not saying i was on the payne train) and why we got turned down by successful mid-major HCs. how the **** else are us "non-insiders" supposed to interpret that?

i just wanted to ask a legit question about recruiting overseas, and not just in eastern europe where we've picked up a few guys before, but australia, france, spain, south america, etc. who have all put out quality MBB players in the last few years, primarily at successful mid-major programs. gonzaga damn near fields a full team of them every year.

Coach34
03-18-2014, 10:26 PM
I think recruiting overseas would be a great idea

Dawg61
03-18-2014, 10:33 PM
News flash: Nike isn't signing anybody while they're still in college. Another news flash: The company a kid wears in college has nothing to do with any deals he may sign once he leaves college. Adidas/Nike has absolutely nothing to do with Newman's college decision, unless he just loves wearing Nike shoes that much.

You blind?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-9YejH7HGvG8/TbF-CLTsAUI/AAAAAAAAAKc/sHvyGewaNVQ/s1600/CantSee-Bunny.jpg

dawgs
03-18-2014, 10:57 PM

they might not be signing them once they're pro, but they would prefer they spend a year or 2 wearing their gear in MBB and being plastered on TV and in magazines and on espn.com. and they are the ones controlling the money flow to these AAU teams/coaches, and you can bet those coaches know which programs to encourage players to attend if they want to continue to get money.

MarketingBully01
03-19-2014, 07:11 AM
Legitimate post Dawgs. Odds are good we won't get Newman especially given the facts that these shoe companies can dangle that kind of money in front of them once they leave college. Would be great to get him but if $50 million deal is true would be tough to rip him from Kentucky. The NCAA is an absolute joke to let this shit go on. Which is why the rich get richer in college basketball.

C222
03-19-2014, 08:33 AM

It might not with Malik, but Adidas/Nike absolutely has alot to do with where some players go to college.

DawgInMemphis
03-19-2014, 08:41 AM
News flash: Nike isn't signing anybody while they're still in college. Another news flash:The company a kid wears in college has nothing to do with any deals he may sign once he leaves college. Adidas/Nike has absolutely nothing to do with Newman's college decision, unless he just loves wearing Nike shoes that much.

Not true. Of course it's not cut and dried, but if Nike is sponsoring his AAU team, then it will make an impact on which school he goes to (in college hoops particularly). An Adidas school can land a kid from a Nike AAU program, sure... but to say it has nothing to do with it is ignoring the seedy underbelly of the AAU world.

MadDawg
03-19-2014, 09:51 AM
There sure are a lot of board police out lately blowing people up for being negative about the basketball program. Yet I don't remember any of those guys blowing up Coach34 or fishwater when they were negative about the basketball program for the last 7-8 years. Is it ok to be overboard negative as long as it's the PC person to hate on?

MarketingBully01
03-19-2014, 10:24 AM
There sure are a lot of board police out lately blowing people up for being negative about the basketball program. Yet I don't remember any of those guys blowing up Coach34 or fishwater when they were negative about the basketball program for the last 7-8 years. Is it ok to be overboard negative as long as it's the PC person to hate on?

Yes, and not only that but you get called an idiot, embicle, and too dumb to find your own car if you criticize the basketball program. All I give a shit about is winning. Basketball is an awesome sport when your team is winning. This time of year would be exciting if we had a team worth a shit. But alas, we have a guy who has gone 9-29 in one of the worst conferences in the country. (I included his SEC tourney record in those numbers as well mind you). That record right there speaks volumes and IMO is worthy of criticism.

And what the majority of the defenders don't get is if we are winning people would be supporting the program and no one would be criticizing it. At the very least, the nay sayers would be quiet. I for one just want to win. If Ray wins next year, I will be behind him and the program and I think the majority of the people will be behind him as well. But if he loses next year, I think only Smootness will be behind him as C34 and Engie have said multiple times that it's next year or bust for them. Will be very interesting around here regardless of what happens next year.

MadDawg
03-19-2014, 10:29 AM
If you are a State fan, regardless if you think the hire was right or not, you better be hoping Ray does indeed turn it around. Because if he doesn't, we are most likely looking at another 4-5 years of irrelevancy.

MarketingBully01
03-19-2014, 10:37 AM
Not only that but because Stricklin would have missed with this hire he would have a lot of pressure to make the biggest splash he could with thie next hire. I agree if Ray fails it's a huge disaster all the way around. I don't want Ray to fail.

Coach34
03-19-2014, 10:45 AM
Yes, and not only that but you get called an idiot, embicle, and too dumb to find your own car if you criticize the basketball program. . But alas, we have a guy who has gone 9-29 in one of the worst conferences in the country. (I included his SEC tourney record in those numbers as well mind you). That record right there speaks volumes and IMO is worthy of criticism.

Our point of contention is - why is he 9-29?

1) Is it because he cant coach?
2) Is it because he is wasting talent?
3) Is it because he was left with no players?
4) Is it because he has had to clean up a drug infested mess?
5) Is it because of an abnormal amount of injuries early on?
6) How many All-SEC players was he left with?

All we ask is that people be realistic. Nobody is happy about being 9-29 in the SEC the last 2 years. We are just now getting to the point where he can be adequately judged. We'll see if he passes the test or not

MarketingBully01
03-19-2014, 10:49 AM
Yes, next year we shall see.